Dancing with the Stars, Season 29

meggonzo

Banned Member
The voting is determined the same night. Apparently that's what caused the snafu a few weeks ago with Monica/Val being called safe when they were really bottom 2.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think the 7s for Johnny were uncalled for. But the 10s last week were a bit high too.

I loved Justina. Why wasn't she at the top alone?! I don't remember other seasons where everyone was tied all the time either.

Susan1

Can ABC please fire Tyra Banks
Fire the people in charge of the fake crowd cheering. Not that I necessarily want to hear Tyra, but it drowns out what they are saying. I fell asleep at 9:00 and woke up in time to see Justina and the end, and I don't know remember the other guy's dance, but I was surprised they kept Johnny after what I saw.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
For some reason my DVR failed to record DWTS. I didn't notice because I was so excited about The Voice returning. :(

love skating

Clueless American
While I didn't love Johnny's Salsa or his costume I thought it wasn't bad and didn't think it deserved 7's. Then Carrie Ann says she's surprised he's in the bottom 2 - uh, you gave Skai a 6 and Johnny and Vernon a 7, everyone else higher so why are you confused? Sigh. Hope he has a comeback dance next week - he's dancing to one of his favorite songs "Creep" - to a Viennese Waltz. Hope he can achieve a good frame.

I was also disappointed in my early fave Nev - judges seemed to love his jazz but I didn't like it at all. I also was not as high on Kaitlyn's samba - felt timid to me but the judges loved it. My faves last night were Justina and AJ (who I hadn't been too keen on before). Monica was very good, but sadly she's pretty boring personality wise. And while I like Chrishell - her flexed feet were killing me. I think Jeannie and Nelly will have the improving each week story arc. Skai keeps making mistakes. I can't get over her being a college student - she's so tiny and looks so young which she can't help but makes her look like she's dancing with her daddy.

Lacey

So is the judging audience call ins and the judges' votes, or are the judges' votes only used to eliminate one team of the bottom two? If the audience call ins are just after the judges' comments, then the voting is affected by the judges' nasty comments...

meggonzo

Banned Member
I assume people vote for who they like regardless of what the judges say.

The votes are 50%/judges scores 50% to determine bottom two. Then the judges vote on which couple they want to save.

Lacey

I so appreciate Johnny's personal style. But he is a character and I think his out there fashion and makeup may be working against him here.

just tuned in

I'm sorry, is it sob-story night? So much over-scoring. Bring back Len. No way would he give Chrishell a 9. Her feet, hands, arms and legs are atrocious. I really do not care that her mother died, or whatever.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
While I didn't love Johnny's Salsa or his costume I thought it wasn't bad and didn't think it deserved 7's. Then Carrie Ann says she's surprised he's in the bottom 2 - uh, you gave Skai a 6 and Johnny and Vernon a 7, everyone else higher so why are you confused? Sigh. Hope he has a comeback dance next week - he's dancing to one of his favorite songs "Creep" - to a Viennese Waltz. Hope he can achieve a good frame.
Radiohead's "Creep" or TLC's "Creep"?

Dragonlady

Sew Happy
Managed to see Nev, Justina, and Johnny and thought all did very nicely. Caught a glimpse of Tyra’s dress, hair, and makeup, and found it all to be quite unflattering. But I find her unwatchable/unlistenable anyways. Even with her outlandish costumes, she’s still as dull as dishwater.

That opening outfit could not have made her look worse. Whoever is doing her costuming must not like her. They seem to be trying to make her look as bad as possible. Kind of like they did to Sean Spicer when he was on.

Usually I love the costuming. Not all of them are winners, true, but this season there are way more WTF's than oohs and aaaws.

Dragonlady

Sew Happy
It was wonderful to see Derek dance again, and the routine was fabulous, but I can't help but get the feeling that it was all to get Derek another Emmy nomination.

Lacey

I think there might be a little of, oh he's another skater, let's pull him down--let's put him up--why don't we let him go wild with his tacky costumes and makeup, let's create drama for this one, we can use him for the will he or won't he stage, and then later we will decide if he fully deserves to win because there is no one better this season and he is likeable after all, and he really can dance too, in spite of our criticisms. Love Johnny, but I think he knew he wasn't going home last night.

Last edited:

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I think there might be a little of, oh he's another skater, let's pull him down--let's put him up--why don't we let him go wild with his tacky costumes and makeup, let's create drama for this one, we can use him for the will he or won't he stage, and then later we will decide if he fully deserves to win because there is no one better this season and he is likeable after all, and he really can dance too, in spite of our criticisms. Love Johnny, but I think he knew he wasn't going home last night.

Yes, but if he's in the bottom 2 again I doubt they would save him.

Dragonlady

Sew Happy

I think he got the marks he deserved for a less than stellar performance. I'm glad he's still there, and I am cheering for him, but IMO the "Catfish" guy is a better dancer and has better partnering skills. Johnny is used to being a solo act and it does show. His dance training is ballet and not partnering. Athletes have a big advantage in this competition, because they adapt quickly when well coached.

Johnny can do this. It should be right in his wheelhouse.

orbitz

Watching Johnny and partner dance together is like watching two girlfriends having a wacky, fun time together. DWTS more or less follows the traditional ballroom structure with the dance couple comprising of a man and a woman, and the man is expected to lead his partner. Johnny never looks like he is leading his partner at all.

screech

I assume people vote for who they like regardless of what the judges say.

The votes are 50%/judges scores 50% to determine bottom two. Then the judges vote on which couple they want to save.
I've read there is a lot of producer manipulation. Like if someone is not getting a lot of fan votes, the judges purposefully nitpick or score them lower, so that more fans will vote for them to make up for it (thinking they need the votes to stay safe). So there's a chance Johnny isn't getting the votes, so they manipulated things to get him more. All last week I kept wondering what the judges saw that I didn't. He wasn't amazing, but he was by no means deserving of being near the bottom of the leaderboard.
This week, I liked his viennese waltz. I did find his cape distracting though (too flowy for all the turns, kept getting wrapped around his body). Kind of crazy that his halloween costume is more subdued than some of his regular week costumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information