Coughlin's Safe Sport Status Changed to Interim Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

skateboy

The PSA has posted a statement on its IG. A kind statement about John and then a comment on working within SafeSport to create reform and support coaches.

ETA: Here is the direct link: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs4adRzn_uz/
And I see the trolls and attackers are there, too.
While I am not jumping to conclude the very worst about the allegations against John (we simply don't know), this statement from PSA was VERY poorly worded. They need to do better.

VGThuy

The PSA has posted a statement on its IG. A kind statement about John and then a comment on working within SafeSport to create reform and support coaches.

ETA: Here is the direct link: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs4adRzn_uz/
And I see the trolls and attackers are there, too.

I don’t really see trolls or attackers but rather critiques about that the statement that seemed to ignore the athletes who make the complaints with SafeSport.

Willin

This paragraph is what I am mad about in the statement:
As an organization, PSA is required to follow the U.S. Center for SafeSport’s rules and guidelines. The U.S. Center for SafeSport has ultimate authority granted to them by the federal government over all National Governing Bodies (NGB). We, as a skating and coaching community, need to come together with a clear and unified front that advocates for change and reform. PSA will do everything in its power to advocate and support our coaches in this effort.
It makes it sound like the PSA doesn't like SafeSport or that they want to change SafeSport in some way. I'm sure they meant they need to change their profession or their professional standards, but the wording is so terrible, especially after praising John. It could easily be read as "We're sorry that John got investigated because we really liked him, but we have to do what SafeSport says. In the future we'll try to protect coaches like John."

On the other hand I'm disgusted by the trolls attacking people like Johnny Weir and saying he condones sexual violence or some other bs (and all the likes those trolls are getting). No - he's just mourning a friend. You shouldn't need to word it like Mervin Tran did for people not to attack you for mourning someone.

CaliSteve

This paragraph is what I am mad about in the statement:

It makes it sound like the PSA doesn't like SafeSport or that they want to change SafeSport in some way. I'm sure they meant they need to change their profession or their professional standards, but the wording is so terrible, especially after praising John. It could easily be read as "We're sorry that John got investigated because we really liked him, but we have to do what SafeSport says. In the future we'll try to protect coaches like John."

On the other hand I'm disgusted by the trolls attacking people like Johnny Weir and saying he condones sexual violence or some other bs (and all the likes those trolls are getting). No - he's just mourning a friend. You shouldn't need to word it like Mervin Tran did for people not to attack you for mourning someone.

I think PSA is being too reactive. I did not like the fact they omitted skater in the sentence "In the future we'll try to protect coaches like John."

caseyy

I think the TSL Christine Brennan interview is important in clarifying the situation and putting it into context. Here are some of the main points:
  • The 12/17 interim restriction was made public record by Safe Sport. Brennan said her source was credible and articles were well researched. She has been a professional journalist for 37 years and would not have risked her journalistic reputation on gossip or rumors. It would be the “highest level of journalistic malpractice” had she known about it and not published it. USAToday editors make a determination on whether the sources are credible and double checks everything.
  • There are currently three allegations, two are minors.
  • Even though the people who reported are anonymous, the identity of the one who filed the initial report is well known in Detroit and the skating community. Dave talked to a former judge and there are judges who are very angry at that person. Dave questioned if that person will ever be able to compete again and that there is fear about coming forward now.
  • Dan Hill, the spokesperson for SS, said that SS is receiving emails and calls with threats. SS is overwhelmed and Congress is looking into it. Not every report results in a suspension.
  • "An allegation does not mean you're guilty"
  • Every coach at a USFS sanctioned club is a mandatory reporter.
  • Brennan emailed Coughlin to give him an opportunity to respond and he gave a lengthy response which she quoted. She plans to keep covering the story and will go to Detroit in a few days.
  • Since 1/7, she has been in contact with between 25-40 people about the situation. The reason there was a restriction is that it involved one person. It was elevated to a suspension because there was more than the one.
  • USFS suspension was mandatory.
  • Today's report of three sexual misconduct allegations would not have been published if it was not 100% correct. Even if they were 99% certain, it would not have been released.
  • If Coughlin had a press conference, she would have reported it and quoted him. Brennan says there are so many things we don't know about Coughlin. "Allegations are not proof" "A suspension does not mean it is a conviction"
  • "It is not the fault of those reporting it" if people make conclusions from allegations
  • There was a police report
  • Every person who works in figure skating in the United States has to be a member of the PSA. The PSA sends out an email blast every time there is an interim restriction.
  • Hill said the investigation is unlikely to move forward because they are not a punitive body. There is no longer a concern of safety. However, if others knew and didn't report or were involved(a systemic issue), then the SS investigation would remain open.
  • "Suicide is certainly the last thing anyone would want"
  • Dave took down yesterday's video because he had been contacted by a reporter from The Daily Mail. The questions were "probing" and he declined to speak.
She continues to stress that the suicide of Coughlin is tragic but she will continue to report new information as a journalist.
Please correct me or clarify if this is worded incorrectly.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

I think the TSL Christine Brennan interview is important in clarifying the situation and putting it into context. Here are some of the main points:
  • Brennan said her source was credible and articles were well researched. She has been a professional journalist for 37 years and would not have risked her journalistic reputation on gossip or rumors. It would be the “highest level of journalistic malpractice” had she known about it and not published it. USAToday editors make a determination on whether the sources are credible and double checks everything.
  • Even though the people who reported are anonymous, the identity of the one who filed the initial report is well known in Detroit and the skating community. Dave talked to a former judge and there are judges who are very angry at that person. Dave questioned if that person will ever be able to compete again and that there is fear about coming forward now.
I will continue to add to this list.
The phrasing in her article was total weasel words. She had no proof or sources or evidence. She used the word “believed”. She had nothing. She’s dirt.

CaliSteve

:confused: I'm not defending the PSA's statement but that isn't what it said. It is quoted above. What you are reading is Willin's take on it.

Here is a c/p of the statement from Instagram:

From PSA President Christine Fowler-Binder and the Executive Committee of the Professional Skaters Association: We are all deeply saddened and still in shock by John’s Coughlin’s death. He was a dear friend, respected coach, and advocate for our sport.

As an organization, PSA is required to follow the U.S. Center for SafeSport’s rules and guidelines. The U.S. Center for SafeSport has ultimate authority granted to them by the federal government over all National Governing Bodies (NGB). We, as a skating and coaching community, need to come together with a clear and unified front that advocates for change and reform. PSA will do everything in its power to advocate and support our coaches in this effort.

Respectfully,
PSA President Christine Fowler-Binder and the Executive Committee

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I was merely providing you with context of the allegation that was made in the blog post you originally questioned. I made no other comment about it’s veracity, legality or anything else.

The original post was informative (and I use that word very loosely) enough. And I can look things up on my own, thanks.

Willin

@Debbie S That isn't even my interpretation of it - my interpretation is that the PSA was trying to say the situation was tragic but worded it in a terrible way. What I wrote is how I think it could easily be interpreted based on the poor wording, and probably how the the people responding feel about it.

• The 12/17 interim restriction was made public record by Safe Sport. Brennan said her source was credible and articles were well researched. She has been a professional journalist for 37 years and would not have risked her journalistic reputation on gossip or rumors. It would be the “highest level of journalistic malpractice” had she known about it and not published it. USAToday editors make a determination on whether the sources are credible and double checks everything.
  • Dan Hill, the spokesperson for SS, said that SS is receiving emails and calls with threats. SS is overwhelmed and Congress is looking into it. Not every report results in a suspension.
  • "An allegation does not mean you're guilty"
  • Every coach at a USFS sanctioned club is a mandatory reporter.
  • Brennan emailed Coughlin to give him an opportunity to respond and he gave a lengthy response which she quoted. She plans to keep covering the story and will go to Detroit in a few days.
I will continue to add to this list.
Wtf if this is true that's disgusting. But I could totally believe it - some of the judges and coaches (particularly older ones) care a lot more about making sure figure skating is a respected sport than protecting the athletes. I've seen firsthand how some judges and coaches get pissed off at any suggestion that the sport is corrupt or the famous names of the sport are not good people. Not in skating, but in other fields, I've seen people get fired or threatened by higher-ups for reporting colleagues that are doing bad things because it threatens the image of their department or organization. This is something that needs to change.

I feel so bad for the victim, and I hope he or she can find peace and support from the community.

caitie

That’s interesting that the initial accuser is known in skating circles. It makes some of the tributes posted seem callous in retrospect.

I don’t like PSA’s statement at all. It makes it seem like they are less concerned about victims of abuse than the process for the accused. I’m disgusted that judges are angry with the initial accuser and that skaters have to take the fact that this is a judged sport into account if they are consering making a complaint. This is what rape culture is, basically. What’s a depressing few days it has been in this sport...

aliona22

The first victim was incredibly brave to report this to SafeSport. I hope she understands that she absolutely did the right thing, and that her reporting helped two more victims find the courage to come forward. The fact that there may be any hostility toward her is outrageous. US Figure Skating has a lot more work to do if they have judges openly discussing their grudges against an athlete who reported misconduct committed against her.

Willin

Listening to the TSL episode (which I have thoughts about, but I'll hold back on those for now), it sounds like John being confused about what he was reported for wasn't as much that he wasn't told as he couldn't recall anything that stood out. Being sexual misconduct the behavior in question could be dirty jokes, inappropriate questions/dialogue, or inappropriate flirting - things that he might not remember because it might have been par the course in his day to day life.

MAXSwagg

Listening to the TSL episode (which I have thoughts about, but I'll hold back on those for now), it sounds like John being confused about what he was reported for wasn't as much that he wasn't told as he couldn't recall anything that stood out. Being sexual misconduct the behavior in question could be dirty jokes, inappropriate questions/dialogue, or inappropriate flirting - things that he might not remember because it might have been par the course in his day to day life.

This occurred to me to as well, after watching.

dots

PSA's statement sounds like a love letter to coaches and comp: " we got your back boys ;) don't worry"

Doesn't the S on PSA stand for skaters ? This is too blatant to just be a poorly worded statement.

I wouldn't blame the accuser if they decide to cut their loses and call it a career. Who would want this type of toxicity in their work place ?

caseyy

Okay I just reread Mervin Tran’s statement on Twitter and there seems to be some credibility to Dave’s statement that the identity of one of the reporters is known within the skating community.

Tran states: “I will probably pass by the victim(s) I’ve heard about, give a hug and sincerely ask, “How’s it going?”

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
The suit also alleges the organizations advised athletes to withdraw complaints of sexual abuse that they knew were truthful, offered to put athletes back on team rosters only if they withdrew truthful complaints of sexual abuse, and threatened athletes with consequences for failure to withdraw complaints.

Yikes. If they have proof of this what the hell is the point of safesport.

zoe111

Everybody on the Net is responding as if it's certain that he committed suicide, yet if it's 'apparent', then nothing is confirmed, and we essentially don't know anything about what happened to him.
And the alternative? He’s dead. If he didn’t kill himself then someone murdered him. Your statement is ridiculous.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Okay I just reread Mervin Tran’s statement on Twitter and there seems to be some credibility to Dave’s statement that the identity of one of the reporters is known within the skating community.

Tran states: “I will probably pass by the victim(s) I’ve heard about, give a hug and sincerely ask, “How’s it going?”

Oh dear. Now everybody’s going to wonder who, among the ladies competing here, is “the one.” 😢

Deleted reference to specific discipline.

Last edited:
Z

ZilphaK

Agreed! I love how suddenly people become linguistics police and parse people's words with grammar tweezers, tryng to fit some criminal intent to what was said. Most people who aren't professional journalists or Stephen King just write things with some meaning in their mind, but without perfect execution when it comes to exactly matching words with meaning. This is why English majors get paid big bucks. (oh...wait...)

I mean, really. 99% of people are using their chunky thumbs on tiny keyboards to post things to social media. Give 'em a break.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information