Coughlin's Safe Sport Status Changed to Interim Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
And if there was any abuse of a minor wouldn't law enforcement still be involved to determine what did happen? Or is it just all on SafeSport? I'm still confused how it all works. It should still be looked into because people were hurt if these accusations were as damning as people are suggesting they were. They deserve to be heard.
There may be, but that is not SafeSport's mandate. The website has clear instructions regarding what should be reported to law enforcement and how it should be done. If there is an investigation by law enforcement, it will not be made public.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
They're in mourning for a friend who possibly was not the person they all knew and cared about. On top of that he killed himself. Of course they are allowed to mourn and grieve. To say otherwise and claim they are part of the problem is cruel.

So all SafeSport does is investigate accusations and that's it? It seems a lot of power; and now they're just dropping it and ignoring it? That is not fair to those who have been hurt by this. If abuse happens of any sort law enforcement should damn well get involved and not drop the case.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I would say that three cases of alleged abuse by the same person, that apparently went unnoticed or unreported, is evidence of systemic failure. If this is being accurately reported then IMO this is the wrong decision.
The way I read the statement is if they determine that to be the case, they would indeed continue to investigate, and that they have not finished the case. I'm sure, they will review everything with a magnifying glass given the circumstances.

nlloyd

Skaters who are posting tributes without acknowledging the victims and skaters who like, or share those tributes are a part of the problem.

I have also found some of the skaters' tributes jarring, and I do think they may discourage others coming forward (if there are others). It is one thing to make a complaint against someone who is not widely known and respected, and quite another to bring a complaint against someone who seems universally loved by prominent figure skaters and coaches who are almost all paying tribute to him.

At the same time, I wonder how many skaters knew the nature of the allegations? The SafeSport website does not specify what kind of misconduct was being investigated, and it is only in today's USA Today article that we learnt the specifics of the allegations -- sexual misconduct involving two minors and an adult -- from an anonymous source close to the SafeSport investigation. These specifics may give skaters who were not aware of the nature of the allegations, pause.

Having said that, the allegations have not been proven, and this is where I find some of the language of those who have spoken publicly of the allegations problematic. The detractor who commented on KMT's tribute, for example. It is my understanding that Coughlin was temporarily suspended pending further investigation. The investigation had not concluded and so he cannot be labelled an "abuser" and neither had he been "banned." Since the USA Today article came out, however, I have seen others use this language. If I am incorrect and there is good reason to use it, please let me know.

Even if the investigation runs its course (which seems unlikely) and the allegations are found to have substance, I think it's important to remember that there are different possibilities regarding what is being alleged. It may be that he had a relationship with a seventeen-year old when he was twenty, or something similar. I am not excusing him (if he is guilty) but I am saying we do not know what the nature of the sexual misconduct was. I don't know how "minor" is defined: is it someone under the age of 18, or 16 or younger, for example, or how "sexual misconduct" is defined by SafeSport?

Last edited:

puglover

If reports are to be believed, at least one of his accusers is expected to participate at Nationals. It will be interesting to see how U.S.F.A handles this. This was stated by other skaters, who seem to have heard the rumors to the extent that they know the names of at least one of the accusers. The representative from SafeSport also mentioned he had been involved with suicide both on the part of the accuser and on the part of the accused. Very sad indeed. As to the age of the accuser, they obviously felt there was something wrong in John's conduct to them and that is why they complained.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
So SafeSport is not willing to proceed with the investigation but are willing to feed Christine Brennan with inside scoop, I find this troubling.

Safesport made an organizational decision. Christine Brennan's informants are unknown, but it seems unlikely that the entire organization was responsible, if anyone from that organization was responsible at all.

nlloyd

The representative from SafeSport also mentioned he had been involved with suicide both on the part of the accuser and on the part of the accused.

In this particular case i.e. John's, or generally speaking? Either way, is there a source for this?

peibeck

Simply looking
So SafeSport is not willing to proceed with the investigation but are willing to feed Christine Brennan with inside scoop, I find this troubling.

As I posted earlier (post 362 of this thread), because John committed suicide, this is now a police investigation. It does not mean we (the public) will ever learn anything more, however.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
As I posted earlier (post 362 of this thread), because John committed suicide, this is now a police investigation. It does not mean we (the public) will ever learn anything more, however.

I am not sure we should learn more at this point. Any discussion of the particulars is likely to expose the identities of the three individuals who brought the complaints. I think we should all be careful about discussing details if that is something we don't want to do--and I think it is.

Tavi

In the article linked above in post 433 it states no decision has been made yet.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
If reports are to be believed, at least one of his accusers is expected to participate at Nationals. It will be interesting to see how U.S.F.A handles this.

Whoa! Will Christine Brennan be at Nationals?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
And, I'm sorry, but SafeSport has no obligation to John's family. Their responsibility is protection of the athletes who could be harmed. John's decision made his father and sister a victim. Whether or not they get information from the police is between them and the police investigation of his death. One of the sad consequences of self inflicted death is that might well be limited to the coroners report. Additional investigation by safesport would not involve them at all since it would no longer involve John

Last edited:

canbelto

The skaters' feelings are understandable, but I have lost a lot of respect for some of them these last couple of days. I hope none of the "but he was so nice!" crowd then try and claim they are NOT part of the problem later...

Well tbh my feeling that John Coughlin probably was guilty comes from the lack of tributes from many prominent skaters. There are tributes but there are some notable silences especially from skaters who are otherwise very active on social media. If you compare this with the tearful videos skaters around the world made after Denis Ten was murdered this is very ... different.

My feeling is that much of the skating community actually knows who the alleged victims are and there does seem to be a loud silence from these skaters.

Willin

How many tributes has he gotten other than KTM, Mervin Tran, Adam Rippon, Haven Denney, and Gracie? I haven't seen more.

D

Deleted member 40371

Well tbh my feeling that John Coughlin probably was guilty comes from the lack of tributes from many prominent skaters. There are tributes but there are some notable silences especially from skaters who are otherwise very active on social media. If you compare this with the tearful videos skaters around the world made after Denis Ten was murdered this is very ... different.

My feeling is that much of the skating community actually knows who the alleged victims are and there does seem to be a loud silence from these skaters.
I wouldn't read too much into it, John was no were near as successful as Denis Ten. Denis skated in shows in far east a lot, and had fans there. Denis was murdered, John took his own life under a cloud a suspicion. People are very careful paying tribute as we can learn now, because of trolls.

Debbie S

How many tributes has he gotten other than KTM, Mervin Tran, Adam Rippon, Haven Denney, and Gracie? I haven't seen more.
From my IG feed, other than those you already mentioned, Brian Boitano, Alexa Kneirim, Elliana Pogrebinsky, plus a few stories where the screen was black as a tribute, I think Maia Shib was one.

I've seen some links posted on here of tributes from Dylan Moscovitch and a few others.

ETA: Mark Mitchell and Peter Johannson also posted a tribute via their MJM Skating account.

Last edited:

Japanfan

I wouldn't read too much into it, John was no were near as successful as Denis Ten. Denis skated in shows in far east a lot, and had fans there. Denis was murdered, John took his own life under a cloud a suspicion. People are very careful paying tribute as we can learn now, because of trolls.

But John was also an elite skater and must have done shows as well. He too was part of a large skating community.

I agree with you that people may be reluctant to pay tribute because of trolls.

However, the reason may also be that people are just uncomfortable with the situation and therefore prefer to say nothing.

Willin

@Domshabfan I am reading into it with the US skating community. Not only was he at several Champs Camps to get to know other US skaters, but he also coached and trained in Colorado Springs - where a lot of top US skaters train. Afterwards he did a lot of outreach including athlete councils (indicating the respect he garnered), athlete interviews, and USFS-sponsored synchro training camps. He was very, very well respected and loved.

I would assume a mix of three things are happening:
1. Fear of trolls after the reaction to previous tributes (KMT's in particular)
2. Many of the top skaters likely know or suspect who the accuser is by now, and want to support him or her by not saying anything publicly about the accused.
3. A lot of skaters in the US who knew him are probably mourning his literal loss (death) and metaphorical loss (loss of their knowledge/image of him as a very nice, wonderful guy) and don't know how to put it into words quite yet if they ever will be able to.

peibeck

Simply looking
I am not sure we should learn more at this point. Any discussion of the particulars is likely to expose the identities of the three individuals who brought the complaints. I think we should all be careful about discussing details if that is something we don't want to do--and I think it is.

ITA, I apologize if it sounded like I wanted more details to come out; that certainly wasn't what I intended in my reply above.

D

Deleted member 40371

I would assume a mix of three things are happening:
1. Fear of trolls after the reaction to previous tributes (KMT's in particular)
2. Many of the top skaters likely know or suspect who the accuser is by now, and want to support him or her by not saying anything publicly about the accused.
3. A lot of skaters in the US who knew him are probably mourning his literal loss (death) and metaphorical loss (loss of their knowledge/image of him as a very nice, wonderful guy) and don't know how to put it into words quite yet if they ever will be able to.
I agree with all three of what you are saying... I was very shocked at the reaction to KMT's tribute. Also, many more have kept quite and contributed to his funeral and legal costs.

wickedwitch

From my IG feed, other than those you already mentioned, Brian Boitano, Alexa Kneirim, Elliana Pogrebinsky, plus a few stories where the screen was black as a tribute, I think Maia Shib was one.

I've seen some links posted on here of tributes from Dylan Moscovitch and a few others.

ETA: Mark Mitchell and Peter Johannson also posted a tribute via their MJM Skating account.
Also Fedor Klimov, Eric Radford, Nate Bartholomay, and Max Settlage. Tarah Kayne posted an instagram story thing.

ETA: I forgot about Nathalie Pechalat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information