Chris Knierim to retire - Alexa to seek new partner

aftershocks

Banned Member
If Nyman were older and more physically mature, I could see him dropping a much younger partner for a higher level one. Even now, it's certainly not implausible. Alexa is a sure thing. TJ could learn a lot from her, and get to an entirely different level. I would say that this scenario would be more likely if he were 3-4 years older. It's hard to see a 19 year old boy skating with a grown woman, to be honest - aesthetically I don't know how that would work.

Once again, over and above other downside factors, I don't see Nyman leaving Sappenfield. And I don't see Alexa returning to Sappenfield and Colorado either.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I hope Chris gets the help he needs. I'm glad he is being open about how hard it has been, that can only help other people. It's been obvious to me he's only been in this for Alexa. He gave up so much.

Chris almost lost his wife to that strange illness in 2016. That alone speaks volumes, along with how hard they both fought to come back. The rest is their business. Good luck to them both. ♥

Amy L

Well, Krasnopolski will probably be looking after Worlds... 😉

I would pay to see a practice session of that. :lol: Since the dude generally sticks to barely age-elligble and/or new-to-pairs partners, then going to a feisty and experienced pair skater in his age-range would be :watch: and probably :argue:

That would never happen, I know. But if anyone writes real person skater fanfic, I think I just gave them a prompt :lol:

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
I would pay to see a practice session of that. :lol: Since the dude generally sticks to barely age-elligble and/or new-to-pairs partners, then going to a feisty and experienced pair skater in his age-range would be :watch: and probably :argue:

That would never happen, I know. But if anyone writes real person skater fanfic, I think I just gave them a prompt :lol:
Or a Netflix reboot of Spinning Out...

skylark

I’m really proud that Chris has spoken about his depression struggles and that Alexa was able to let him retire with dignity. I was at Nationals and he just didn’t seem into being there. I think with the right partner she could make it back to Olympics, as long as we can secure 2 places. thrilled for Jessica & Brian. Brian grew up in our area and we have seen him since he was 10 years grow into a great pairs skater.

Ashley and Tim already secured two places. They did the heavy lifting. It's much easier for two pairs teams to hang onto two spots than it is for one pair to earn two spots.

I agree with you about Chris and Alexa. I'm so proud of them for being able to assert what they each want. It's wonderful how they chose to make the announcement and to communicate the important things, including being open about depression. What a gift, that they were able to be so open with each other all along the way.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
I was very surprised to read this headline this morning. I do hope for the best for a full recovery for Chris--depression can be very tough to shake--along with a continued happy marriage for both Chris and Alexa and the right partner for Alexa.

tlk

"Olympic gold medalist"?
Wishing both Chris and Alexa all the best in their future endeavors.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Israel is pickier than Azerbaijan, though, when it comes to citizenship. :COP:

But I suppose the Israeli Federation might release him. :unsure:
Israel is not 'picky' it simply has laws. A hard subject to gasp, I know.
They will not release Krasnapolski - he is needes for the Olymoics team eveny, but even then - AFAIK he doesn't have a USA citizenship.

Zaboev that was mentioned - Zabijaco said he was drainig the EST fed - all the money they had as a team went to him and he demanded more. The lack of funding was one of the reasons for her switch to Russia

MsZem

I see the sea
Israel isn't picky if you have Jewish heritage, see the Israeli national baseball team. Since Alexa Knierim 1. has no Jewish heritage that I'm aware of and 2. has no interest in skating for Israel that I'm aware of, it really doesn't matter ;)

"Olympic gold medalist"?
Looks like an OGM to me. (ETA: not an OGM, a bronze medal! Well, that's still nice for everyone...)

Last edited:

VGThuy

Israel isn't picky if you have Jewish heritage, see the Israeli national baseball team. Since Alexa Knierim 1. has no Jewish heritage that I'm aware of and 2. has no interest in skating for Israel that I'm aware of, it really doesn't matter ;)

Looks like an OGM to me.

Do you want to knock a few medals off Michael Phelps's record because they weren't in individual events?

I think tlk’s response was because the American team won bronze, not gold.

olympic

Andrew Speroff? IDK. Just a name I remember who was a decent male pairs skater and tallish

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Anyone available with Italian grandparents? The process seems tough and there’s the language test, but...

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
I am glad Chris is doing this. He did not seem to be into skating and it is great he had the strength to figure this out and to have the support of a partner, on and off the ice.
Wishing him recovery with his injuries and dealing with depression. I hope he will be glowing soon and cheering for Alexa!

peibeck

Simply looking
I don't see Nate as a good fit simply because he's looking for a partner and he's a U.S. citizen.

Even besides the height difference not being as huge as with Chris, I do not see Alexa and Nate matching physically or aesthetically.

Where did I say he would be a good fit "simply because he's looking for a partner and he's a US citizen?"

Nowhere.

I said he'd be a better fit because of his long experience as a strong pairs skater. As for aesthetics, I guess I missed where Chris was some finely polished, fully stretched danseuer to Alexa's swan. 🙄

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
When they withdrew after the 4CC SP and cited "Family emergency" was that the reason for Chris?

In the article Alexa posted she said Chris said to her "I'm done" before they even got off the ice from that SP.

Im still so sad (I guess for myself, they were my favorite US team) but happy they are addressing their problem.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Where did I say he would be a good fit "simply because he's looking for a partner and he's a US citizen?"

Nowhere.

I said he'd be a better fit because of his long experience as a strong pairs skater. As for aesthetics, I guess I missed where Chris was some finely polished, fully stretched danseuer to Alexa's swan. 🙄

To each their own. There's no need for your feathers to get ruffled by my response to your suggestion. :drama: A lot of people are throwing out names indiscriminately. I personally do not see Nate as a good match-up for Alexa, but then what do I know about matching up pairs partners. :p ;)

Also, in what universe do you need to turn around and dis Chris Knierim because of my observation about Nate (which was certainly not meant by me as a put-down to Nate)?! Chris is a fine pairs partner with long lines and competent abilities. In fact, Chris has looked much more polished and improved in his in-between skating over the past couple of years, post working with Aljona in Germany. The sad thing is that (as revealed in their press announcement) Chris has been through a lot of personal ups-and-downs in recent years, and the injuries especially have taken a toll.

Nate and Deanna were a very good match, and Nate is an excellent, hard-working pairs partner with many strengths and a lot of enthusiasm. Deanna is now with a partner in Maxime Deschamps who is even stronger and better matched for her very strong aesthetics IMHO.

Bottom line: I simply observed that IMO, despite Nate being available, he and Alexa would not match-up that well physically or aesthetically. I don't particularly feel that Alexa is a superb artistic skater, but her longer lines IMHO would not match well with Nate's physical make-up. If they actually ever do pair up against the physical odds, I guess you can claim you were right. :lol:

ETA:
Nate had been doing some pairs practices with Katie McBeath, as posted by Jim Peterson awhile back. Katie's more compact size, physicality and skating style IMO are a better match for Nate's physicality and athleticism. The question though is whether they were just practicing or seriously trying out.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I was about to say the same thing.

But when did Harley split with Alexandrovskaya?

Harley is certainly tall enough to be a good match for Alexa. However, Harley would have citizenship issues, and I seriously doubt Alexa is interested in switching her country representation at this late date. Therefore, a highly unlikely match.

The tendency is to speculate of course, but we probably won't know anything for awhile.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Just my opinion but I'm betting Alexa already has someone they've approached in regard to her continuing and trying for 2020. Otherwise, they'd have just announced they are retiring. I would expect an announcement after Worlds especially if the guy is in a current partnership. We've seen this scenario many times before.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ That sounds very probable. And so the speculation continues. :watch:

Your observation has made me do a turnabout in my thinking: Even though Brandon Frazier is exceedingly loyal to Haven, their season went kaput after a decent start. When drastic things happen, sometimes unexpected decisions result. It may be entirely possible that Haven might have decided to call it a day and is supporting Brandon in continuing, especially now that Alexa is available. Haven has had all kinds of troubles with getting back to full strength on her jumps. In addition, D/F are confronted with an awkward, uncertain situation at their Florida rink. If indeed, Haven has decided to retire and Brandon is available, I can see him pairing with Alexa and heading to California, which is a great place to train in a new state-of-the-art rink! Plus, Meno/Sand's coaching crew includes multiple World champion and multiple Olympic medalist, Robin Szolkowy. Not to mention having the opportunity to train with an on-the-rise team in Calalang/Johnson.

That said, we won't know until we find out...

I think tlk’s response was because the American team won bronze, not gold.

What a silly mistake by ESPN. Why can't they do their research and show more respect for the sport? :rolleyes: Alexa & Chris were very instrumental in the U.S. winning team bronze in Pyeongchang. And the Knierims just won another U.S. Nationals pairs gold. None of that should be so hard to decipher and accurately reference.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
When they withdrew after the 4CC SP and cited "Family emergency" was that the reason for Chris?

In the article Alexa posted she said Chris said to her "I'm done" before they even got off the ice from that SP.

Im still so sad (I guess for myself, they were my favorite US team) but happy they are addressing their problem.
IMO calling Family Emergency was dramatic and insincere.

According to Alexa the problems with Chris were ongoing and had been for a while. An emergency is an unexpected and often dangerous situation requiring immediate action.

Their situation was known to them and they were managing it.

Not saying they should have taken different action. Am saying that they did not need to up the drama.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information