Chris Knierim to retire - Alexa to seek new partner

skatfan

Ah, this is sad, but also sounds good for the long term. We've all known that Chris struggled with motivation for a while, and I'm glad that the decision, as hard as it is, has been made. These two have stuck together through so many crises and challenges, I admire them for putting the marriage and each one individually so far above the skating. Best wishes to both of them.

Firedancer

I’m pretty shocked with this, really because of the timing. Chris hasn’t really looked like he wanted to be skating lately so after the season or after the Grand Prix wouldn’t have surprised me. I really hope Chris is able to get the treatment he needs to be healthy and happy. And I would love to see Alexa find another partner.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I can't believe how many people are viewing this thread!! :eek:

Okay, I step away from the board for a hot minute, and that's when something earth-shattering happens. :watch:

Mervin Tran's next partner? :shuffle:

No.

This of course means Calalang and Johnson are headed to Montreal - that announcement here:

And so, all the previous OTT whining and complaining (even by people who aren't U.S. pairs fans) after the initial assignments were announced, was useless.

ETA:
Everyone grasping for possible partners for Alexa, are not taking a lot of important factors into consideration.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Well, it IS US pairs we are talking about here. :shuffle:

Please do explain what you mean though? U.S. pairs have always been interesting to follow, even without having the top teams in the world. At the moment, the U.S. pairs discipline has more depth than Canadian pairs at the top (albeit both disciplines are maybe more on a par in juniors).

Meanwhile, please stop with looking down on and dissing U.S. pairs. Yes, a number of U.S. teams have suffered injuries and illness (particularly the Knierims and Denney/Frazier) that set them back. But they have all worked hard to make their way back and to hang in there. Chris Knierim gave his best effort, and he has a lot to be proud of. Stop with the snarky dissing please.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Meanwhile, please stop with looking down on and dissing U.S. pairs. Yes, a number of U.S. teams have suffered injuries and illness (particularly the Knierims and Denney/Frazier) that set them back. But they have all worked hard to make their way back and to hang in there. Chris Knierim gave his best effort, and he has a lot to be proud of. Stop with the snarky dissing please.

Please take this to the US pairs thread where it belongs.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I may well be that if Alexa finds a new partner and can enjoy training, a weight will be lifted from Chris' shoulders. The issue of him not wanting/not being able to continue when Alexa did was probably compounding across both work and home. And plus, I imagine a marriage would be so much easier if spending all day together in elite sports wasn't involved ...

I just read another article that adds clarity. Chris will coach and be part of Alexa's team.
They are one strong couple.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Oh My Godddddd

I’m still digesting. I was just on my Instagram and clicked on Alexa’s stories as I always do every day and I saw that. I haven’t finished reading any of the posts or articles I’m just staring into outer space in kind of a daze. lol

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Cross-posting from U.S. pairs thread:

It has to be a very short list of potential partners: O'Shea, LeDuc, Frazier, Tran, Mitrofanov, Bardei, Bilodeau, Nadeau. Not sure if there are any Russians available. The timing is right to put your name out there. She is a fabulous pair skater. I hope she finds her Trankov/Massot.

I seriously say you can cross off O'Shea, LeDuc, Tran, Mitrofanov. And I seriously do not see Bardei or Bilodeau leaving their current partners. We are bound not to hear anything about Alexa finding a new partner until well after Worlds. Hold onto your seats...

ETA:
It wouldn't work out anyway to go with a partner who has citizenship issues, so Nadeau is out too. And I doubt that Frazier would leave Denney. If Haven retires, I think Brandon would too.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

And I seriously do not see Bardei or Bilodeau leaving their current partners.
It's too late to "import" a partner if Alexa intends to challenge for the 2022 Olympics (nor would I expect the USFS to release Alexa to go skate elsewhere). It'll have to be somebody who's already a US citizen.

Nadya Labazina. She's 15. TJ is on a different path, with a very young partner.
I don't think it's implausible to speculate that Nyman would contemplate changing things up with such a high-level partner available, even if it was a short-term arrangement.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Theoreticalgirl said:
There's always Zabaiiko's former partner, who has US citizenship: http://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=6017

[TBH I have no skin in this game. Just was fun to see who was on icepartnersearch! I'll wait for the chimney smoke to turn white.]

... ps. My first thought was Sasha Zaboev, but I don't think he's skated competitively in a while. And his skating was never on the same level as Chris' from what I remember.

Carolla5501

Alexa is 28 and TJ Nyman is 19 though.
That's like half the age difference of Hao Zhang and his partners.

The problem is that a 19-year-old man is not necessarily fully grown (To be blunt.) And may not have the upper muscular strength etc. of an older man. And at 28 a woman is fully grown. I can see that being a problem. is he physically ready to lift her throw her etc.?

aftershocks

Banned Member
It's too late to "import" a partner if Alexa intends to challenge for the 2022 Olympics (nor would I expect the USFS to release Alexa to go skate elsewhere). It'll have to be somebody who's already a US citizen.

That's very obvious, just as I already responded to @kirkbiggestfan, who is the poster who listed Bardei, Bilodeau, and Nadeau, none of whom are at all likely even if citizenship was not an issue.

Meanwhile, as @Theoreticalgirl mentioned, Sasha Zaboev is a U.S. citizen.

Last edited:

Carolla5501

I don't think it's implausible to speculate that Nyman would contemplate changing things up with such a high-level partner available, even if it was a short-term arrangement.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they would choose to release her. She’s done her part for US figure skating and I think they would let her go. Especially if they didn’t have anybody to partner her up with. They have to be realistic, she’s 28 and can’t partner up with somebody and hope they make the Olympics in six years or 10 years. After all she may decide at some point she’d like to start a family or live a normal life.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I don't think it's implausible to speculate that Nyman would contemplate changing things up

As others have noted, Nyman is very much younger than Alexa. Plus, I doubt Nyman would relocate to California. He seems invested with Sappenfield in Colorado.

Also, the Knierims have found a home with Meno/Sand. It was mentioned in the article about Chris retiring that he will be coaching with M/S in addition to helping Alexa with a new partner.

peibeck

Simply looking
Even though I'm not a big fan of the Knierims :shuffle: I do heartily applaud Chris for speaking out not only in regard to his injuries but the depression he has been dealing with. Athletes often don't want to reveal "darker" aspects of what goes on in their private lives, but in reality it only helps others when we can all realize even peak athletes struggle with mental health issues as well. Following in Gracie Gold's footsteps to talk about this issue only compounds that depression and anxiety are issues skaters certainly face.

Also, I'm overjoyed for their training-mates Jessica and Brian!

As for Alexa finding a new partner, and the above mention that Chris will be coaching, it sounds like they are planning on staying in California. So perhaps there is someone already training in the Sand/Meno camp who is a potential partner or who has made it known he would be willing to move to California to train. In terms of experience, plus perhaps only teaming up for two seasons, Nathan Bartholomay would be a good fit, except that he isn't very tall (5'8" or 5'9" I'd guess). I can't see any other really viable names who have been mentioned so far in this thread though.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
To make a decision to stop competing is hard enough when you've spent so much of your life dedicated to it under any circumstances, but to suffer depression while trying to compete is so much moreso.

I wish him the best in putting his mental health at the fore.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Nathan Bartholomay would be a good fit, except that he isn't very tall (5'8" or 5'9" I'd guess).

I don't see Nate as a good fit simply because he's looking for a partner and he's a U.S. citizen.

Even besides the height difference not being as huge as with Chris, I do not see Alexa and Nate matching physically or aesthetically.

aftershocks

Banned Member
It's too bad Andrey Novoselov doesn't have the right citizenship, if he wants to continue competing.

^^ Why is it 'too bad' though. Names are being thrown out like spare parts here, and I doubt it works like that in reality, i.e., a partnership happening on the basis of every able-bodied male skater fans can conjure up. :p Plus, there are a lot of things to consider besides citizenship issues.

Harley Windsor if she wants to skate for Australia
I thought Ernie Stevens still wanted to find a partner?
Did TJ Nyman get a new partner yet?

I hadn't heard that Harley split with his Russian partner.

We are unlikely to hear any updates regarding Alexa finding a partner until well after Worlds.

Perky Shae Lynn

If Nyman were older and more physically mature, I could see him dropping a much younger partner for a higher level one. Even now, it's certainly not implausible. Alexa is a sure thing. TJ could learn a lot from her, and get to an entirely different level. I would say that this scenario would be more likely if he were 3-4 years older. It's hard to see a 19 year old boy skating with a grown woman, to be honest - aesthetically I don't know how that would work.

kirkbiggestfan

We will hold tryouts with the Qatar Fédération! Citizenship problems are solved :) Now let’s find someone with a reliable 3F;)

PairSkater12345

Cross-posting from U.S. pairs thread:

I seriously say you can cross off O'Shea, LeDuc, Tran, Mitrofanov. And I seriously do not see Bardei or Bilodeau leaving their current partners. We are bound not to hear anything about Alexa finding a new partner until well after Worlds. Hold onto your seats...

ETA:
It wouldn't work out anyway to go with a partner who has citizenship issues, so Nadeau is out too. And I doubt that Frazier would leave Denney. If Haven retires, I think Brandon would too.
Aftershocks.......I see that you have figured out who Alexa's new partner is by process of elimination. Maybe Meno Sands and Mitch should hire you as a consultant so that you can reveal Alexa's new Pairs partner. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information