Chinese Skating News, Pt. 3: A long & winding road to Beijing 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammyf

This is what I can come up with for the current Junior and Senior Chinese pairs teams. Looks like they are getting a lot of depth. Any ideas on ages for the new junior teams? Hopefully they use all their JGP spots. I would guess the TBA GP China spot should go to Yu/Zhang if they are healthy.

Senior
Weijia He/Junming Huang, new?
Chelsea Liu/Zhong Xie, new, both with previous partners JGP, JW experience
Cheng Peng/Jin Yang, Nats 1, Worlds 4, GP USA, GP China
WenJing Sui/Cong Han, Nats SP 1, Worlds 1, GP China, GP Japan
Feiyao Tang/YungChao Yang, Nats 3, JW 4, GP Canada
Xuehan Wang/Lei Wang, Nats 2, previous worlds and GP experience
Xiaoyu Yu/Hao Zhang, Nats SP 3, previous worlds and GP experience
Yuyao Zhang/Yunzhi Guo new, both with previous partners on JGP, JGP eligible
Lu Zheng/Lei Zhu, Nats 8
Junior
Motong Liu/Tianze Wang, Nats 6 Senior, previous JGP, JGP eligible
Jiaen Li/Zijian Wang, new
Huidi Wang/Ziqi Jia, Nats 4 Senior, he previous JGP and is JGP eligible. Her?
Yuchen Wang/Yihang Huang, Nats 8 Senior, previous JGP, JGP eligible
Yixi Yang/Shunyuyao Deng, new?
Jiaxuan Zhang/Zhiyu Wang, new?
Daizifei Zhu/Yuhang Liu, new?

Gris

不做奴才做公民
So does anyone over here understand why Yu/Zhang are not currently on the GP lists? My other question is, which one was injured? I thought it was Yu but people are talking as if it was Zhang. It's interesting that they are listed together with Han Yan as "recharging" last season when he made a retirement announcement whereas they were just dealing with injury AFAIK.

Last season she was injured while he was focusing on his masters studies. I have no idea about why they are not on GP roster either - but as binbinwinwin said above, it's rumored that Hao Zhang has fallen out with Shen / Zhao and they left S/Z's national team. They are training in Century Star club in Beijing currently. BTW, Boyang also switched to represent Century Star this season.

Huidi Wang/Ziqi Jia, Nats 4 Senior, he previous JGP and is JGP eligible. Her?

Huidi was born in October 2005 so she is JGP eligible. Here is a video collection of them at last season's national grand prix and nationals.

I don't know much about other teams either...

Sylvia

TBD
That’s really surprising. They’ve always showed such favoring of Zhang He.
You meant ZHANG Hao. ;) ZHANG He is their male singles skater: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012835.htm

@katmari posted this link in Jason Brown's fan thread... dated June 17 "National Figure Skating Elite Training Camp Phase IV Opened at Shougang Winter Training Center" with photos of Tracy Wilson and Ghislain Briand in China working with the Chinese skaters; Sui/Han, Cheng PENG & Tang/Yang are pictured as well:

Gris

不做奴才做公民
In this recent interview (posted June 24), Cong said the injury had been troubling him for almost two years. They also said they were receiving treatment.

(I'm not sure if this interview has been translated before, if not I can do it later)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
The first stage of the 2019 Chinese Figure Skating Club League will be held at Hailar Ice Sports Training Center in Inner Mongolia from 11th to 15th July. After a season of recharging, Han Yan and Xiaoyu Yu / Hao Zhang return to the ice. Three girls, Yi (Beverly) Zhu, Ashley Lin, Emily Zhang, along with two junior men, Shuai Fang and Yudong Chen will all return to China to compete. Xiangning Li returned to singles and Yi Wang came back from retirement. Tonghe Tian and Tong Liu / Quanshuo Ge, who were impressive last season will be competing in seniors. And of course, stars like Boyang Jin, He Zhang, Xiangyi An, Yi Christy Leung, Qijing Cao, Xuehan Wang / Lei Wang will also be there and the line up for ice dance is unprecedentedly deep.
Boyang Jin debuted his SP ("First Light" by Cinematic Pop, feat. Spencer Jones): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkuUqigSBY4
54.66 (TES)+45.40 (PCS)=100.06

Han Yan brought back his Olympic season SP ("A Thousand Years" by Boyce Avenue): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ywwJJBHHA
46.89 (TES)+43.40 (PCS)=90.29

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Han Yan brought back his Olympic season SP ("A Thousand Years" by Boyce Avenue): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ywwJJBHHA
46.89 (TES)+43.40 (PCS)=90.29
Thank you for posting the video. I love this performance so much. Welcome back, Han Yan! :love: :cheer2:

ETA:
Sad Han Yan's fan thread in TC is gone(?) Forgot the name of the thread and couldn't find it there.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Time to bring back the "Han Yan Fan Van" as his new fan/cheer thread in the TC? :D

Somebody create it so I can ask people why his "Sing Sing Sing" SP from a few seasons ago was so badly received. I thought it was great and full of appropriate character.

jlai

Question everything
My take on it is that it is like Carmen, people don’t remember unless it is outstanding. I remember Buttle’s, D Ten’s, and Han’s only vaguely

Sylvia

TBD
Someone passed along to me partial results/total scores for the winner and 3 U.S. ladies from the domestic competition in Hailar (top 2 men's SP scores & videos are in post #646 above).

Senior Ladies
1 Xiangyi AN 204.96 (the 12-year-old who will be too young for the JGP this season as well as for the 2022 Beijing Olympics)
2 Ashley LIN 147.25
6 Emily ZHANG 134.64
7 Beverly ZHU 133.02

Wang/Wang reportedly won (edited to correct based on Dobre's post #657 below) placed ahead of Chelsea Liu/Zhong XIE 3rd in the Senior Pairs event.

If anyone finds more info/competition news, please share.

Last edited:

VGThuy

My take on it is that it is like Carmen, people don’t remember unless it is outstanding. I remember Buttle’s, D Ten’s, and Han’s only vaguely

Not that it wasn't remembered, just that at the time in PBP threads, people were posting negative things about it.

aftershocks

Banned Member

The new Chelsea Liu. :) They look good together, and Hongbo Zhou looks happy at rinkside. I must say the opening moves, music selection, choreo and skating style are a direct emulation of James/Cipres. But imitation is the highest form of flattery. Not that James/Cipres tend to get much credit for leading the pairs division in pure excitement and excellence over the past several seasons. ;)

It will certainly take Liu/Xie a bit of time to develop their own version of J/C's chemistry, connection and excitement though.

Dobre

If anyone finds more info/competition news, please share.

Someone amazing has been posting results & videos in the Chinese Team thread on GS. Their pairs results don't match your info, though?

Ladies:
SP scores:
An Xiangyi: 71.61
Zhu Yi (Beverley Zhu): 58.67
Ashley Lin: 56.23
Li Xiangning: 52.82
Yi christy Leung: 51.57

LP scores:
3 Li Xiangning 145.64
4 Yi Christy Leung 142.35
5 Cao Qijing 141.98
8 Jin Guanru 128.14

Men:
SP scores:
Jin Boyang:100.06
Yan Han: 90.29

LP scores:
Boyang 175.70
Yan Han 165.86
Zhang He 138.55
Wang Yi 133.97
Tian Tonghe 119.48

Pairs:
SP scores?
Tang/Yang: 67+, sbs 3T
Wang/Wang: 58+, 2T
Liu/Xie: 54+

LP scores?
Tang Feiyao & Yang Yongchao 125.27
Wang & Wang 108.16
Liu Jiaxi (Chelsea Liu) & Xie Zhong 106.73

My take on it is that it is like Carmen, people don’t remember unless it is outstanding.

Or something unique about it. I agree. I remember Denis's and Bourne & Kraatz.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
@Dobre, I misinterpreted "Liu/Xie came in third behind Wang/Wang" ;) ... thanks for confirming the original source of the video links posted by natsulian above (I was told to check weibo but haven't had the time).

Last edited:

natsulian

@Dobre, I misinterpreted "Liu/Xie came in third behind Wang/Wang" ;) ... thanks for confirming the original source of the video links posted by natsulian above (I was told to check weibo but haven't had the time).
Weibo has everything (including live-streams of Worlds, Nationals, and GP events if anyone cares to dig deep enough). I forgot to credit the user, but his/her username is GarthAqua and has posted links to live-streams of the event if anyone wants to check it out.

Sylvia

TBD
Men:
Boyang 175.70 [FS score]
@skateboy posted this link to his new FS to "Hable con ella" (from the Pedro Almodovar film soundtrack by Alberto Iglesias?; choreo. by Benoit Richaud) in Boyang Jin's fan thread yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXoowj07d7M (same YT account as for his SP video posted above)
Total score: 275.76

ETA that I knew the song title sounded familiar ... it's from this past season, choreo. by Lori Nichol: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013802.htm (as pointed out by @RoseRed on the next page).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information