Chinese Skating News, Pt. 3: A long & winding road to Beijing 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

feraina

To me it sounded a bit bigheaded. I know they are athletes and have to aim high. If they said their goal is to continue till 2022 Olympics, I think it would sound better. If they say that they are aiming for Gold at 2018 and 2022, to me it is like tempting the fate. That's why I mentioned Savchenko/Szolkowy.
I have a feeling they are motivated by going further than S/Z, and that basically means a gold and at least a silver.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Savchenko/Szolkowy's rivals in 2010 were a beloved comeback pair, and their main rivals in 2014 were the "dream team" that was already nipping at their heels for two seasons and was skating at their home Olympics.

If anything Savchenko/Massot are the ones coming up from behind attempting to overtake the favorites, the former WC's, and the other strong contenders like S/K, who made up quite a deficit from the SP in Helsinki.

Dobre

I think it is very nice to hear that Sui & Han wish to fight through 2022. This is a young woman who had surgery on both her feet recently and has struggled with a serious long-term foot problem for many years. If S&H plan to continue through 2022, I hope it is a sign that the surgery was not only successful but has left her with the ability to aim for a long-term career. And considering where she was last summer at this time, I don't think 2022 is something that many S&H fans were taking for granted at all. Many of us were just hoping they would be healthy for this Olympic season.

Marco

Don't forget that S&H narrowly missed out on making the O Team in 2014, so PC would be their first Olympics. I don't think aiming to compete at 2 Olympics is all that ambitious?! Esp. since they are still young.

I do wonder if they ever get a real say in when they retire. The Olympics will be at home in 2022 and pairs skating is one of those sports that China has a good shot at winning gold. After Zhang Hao retires after 2018 (hopefully, for his body's sake), I think they will be busy pairing Yu Xiaoyu up with the next tall dude who can skate and throw.

Japanfan

After Zhang Hao retires after 2018 (hopefully, for his body's sake), I think they will be busy pairing Yu Xiaoyu up with the next tall dude who can skate and throw.

I do hope the Chinese fed will allow Grandpa Zhang to retire before he hits 40!

clairecloutier

Some pictures from the Chinese test skates:

http://www.sportsphoto.cn/index/imglist.html?group_id=74658&page=2

Apparently, this is about all we're going to see from these test skates. No video allowed, and Hongbo Zhao apparently requested that fans not leak program info, either. :rolleyes:

I must say I find all the secrecy a bit Big Brother-ish and :confused:. Why hold open test skates at all if you're trying to keep the information under wraps??

barbarafan

Some pictures from the Chinese test skates:

http://www.sportsphoto.cn/index/imglist.html?group_id=74658&page=2

Apparently, this is about all we're going to see from these test skates. No video allowed, and Hongbo Zhao apparently requested that fans not leak program info, either. :rolleyes:

I must say I find all the secrecy a bit Big Brother-ish and :confused:. Why hold open test skates at all if you're trying to keep the information under wraps??

Need to know in China has a whole different concept..What year you are born is a state secret...only revealed when you compete internationally for the first time....Even the parents don't know when their children are born.

chapis

Need to know in China has a whole different concept..What year you are born is a state secret...only revealed when you compete internationally for the first time....Even the parents don't know when their children are born.

Are you serious? why?

jlai

Question everything
Why wouldn't he want his music a secret when it's something as groundbreaking as Swan Lake? :confused: he should've tightened up security and ID'ed everyone, and then taken a personal belonging as collateral. That'll show em.
I'd like to read the original request in Chinese to sense whether what is being requested. I wouldn't judge based on a translation.

analia

Typical paranoid agenda from the Chinese. They think Aliona would try to out-quintuple throw them if they show their cards early or at all.
I'm willing to bet five cents on S/H's long being Turandot.

Marco

http://we.sportscn.com/viewnews-2360316.html

This article has more details on everyone.

Li Zijun is in fine form at this stage and says to have started preparation much earlier this season after experiencing the swap-out fiasco last year. The short is coming along well but the free still has issues. She trains with Li Xiangning and Zhao Ziquan now, and they help push each other.

Jin Boyang has been consistent with his big tricks and received loud cheers from the crowd. He hints at doing some unexpected tricks.

Yan Han has returned to systemic training for 1.5 months after being off for 3 or more months due to surgery. He says he is about 50% of where he needs to be and needs to focus on domestic competitions in September. His shoulder injury is not completely healed. He can't spin and do quads here yet but 3axels are fine. Timing is tight and he will treat his domestic competition in September as practice for China GP. He currently trains with Zhao Hongbo.

Yu / Zhang fell on their throw. They said there are plenty of difficulty choreography and new elements, each with transitions preceding. They have only had these programs for more than a month. Lori is here to address issues identified at these test skates.

Jin / Peng showed new programs and received praise from Zhao.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/figureskating/2017-08-03/doc-ifyitamv4862272.shtml

This article includes some tidbits from Lori.

For pairs programs, she only choreographed for the three Chinese pairs this season.

She feels Sui / Han needs to focus on skating and not on the pressure of being WCs, but concludes that they will be fine since they work very hard and have a special aura as a pair.

She says Peng is talented artistically and can be a choreographer some day. Jin / Peng is a new pair but don't skate like one.

Last edited:

Bellanca

http://we.sportscn.com/viewnews-2360316.html

This article has more details on everyone.

Li Zijun is in fine form at this stage and says to have started preparation much earlier this season after experiencing the swap-out fiasco last year. The short is coming along well but the free still has issues. She trains with Li Xiangning and Zhao Ziquan now, and they help push each other.

Jin Boyang has been consistent with his big tricks and received loud cheers from the crowd. He hints at doing some unexpected tricks.

Yan Han has returned to systemic training for 1.5 months after being off for 3 or more months due to surgery. He says he is about 50% of where he needs to be and needs to focus on domestic competitions in September. His shoulder injury is not completely healed. He can't spin and do quads here yet but 3axels are fine. Timing is tight and he will treat his domestic competition in September as practice for China GP. He currently trains with Zhao Hongbo.

Yu / Zhang fell on their throw. They said there are plenty of difficulty choreography and new elements, each with transitions preceding. They have only had these programs for more than a month. Lori is here to address issues identified at these test skates.

Jin / Peng showed new programs and received praise from Zhao.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/figureskating/2017-08-03/doc-ifyitamv4862272.shtml

This article includes some tidbits from Lori.

For pairs programs, she only choreographed for the three Chinese pairs this season.

She feels Sui / Han needs to focus on skating and not on the pressure of being WCs, but concludes that they will be fine since they work very hard and have a special aura as a pair.

She says Peng is talented artistically and can be a choreographer some day. Jin / Peng is a new pair but don't skate like one.
Thank you for the info, @Marco.

ETA: I agree with Lori re Sui & Han handling WC pressure. They need to basically compartmentalize that pressure, or use it to their advantage which I am sure they will.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

I know they're just snippets, but I think Lori has a fave, and it's not S/H :eek:. She sounded very professional about S/H while she could barely string a sentence together for Y/Z.
I wouldn't assume that. Interviewers make mistakes; editors pick and choose and sometimes stories just get chopped at the end. I would expect Lori to be even-handed. She seems the diplomatic type.

VGThuy

Like I said, I know they're just snippets. I prefer my version because it's more fun, if running the risk of being sensationalistic and not accurate.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I know they're just snippets, but I think Lori has a fave, and it's not S/H :eek:. She sounded very professional about S/H while she could barely string a sentence together for Y/Z.

Two medals are better than one. ;) Lori is choreographing Chinese pairs-only for a reason. :judge::glamor: when Lori speaks people listen. (This is some scary...stuff for the rest of the world)

I don't think Pairs has even been cooler! :kickass:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information