Chinese Skating News, Pt. 3: A long & winding road to Beijing 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

clairecloutier

There's a great new translation of a quite long and informative interview about the current state of Chinese pair skating. I believe this was shot right before this year's Worlds.

Chinese pair skating - unlocking the dilemma: interviews with Hongbo Zhao, Sui/Han, Peng/Jin, and Yu/Zhang

I re-read this interview that @ginsengtea posted earlier. (Such a good interview! Especially because we usually hear so little from the Chinese pairs.)

I'm happy that Hongbo Zhao had some positive things to say in this interview about Cheng Peng (below).

So every pair, every person, they each have their own viewpoints. And they bounce those ideas with our coaching team. Including Cheng Peng and Yang Jin - this year they’ve also risen a lot. And after switching partners, Cheng Peng, this year she’s skated cleanly multiple times. And with consistency, scores rise. And the two of them, in their performances and their communication with each other, they’ve reached silent understanding. Cheng Peng’s heart has also strengthened a lot. So it’s still the same words, those three pairs - I hope they can all qualify to be among the top in the world. This is the echelon for our Chinese pair skating program, the echelon that we’re building, for Pyeongchang and for 2022.

Of the 4 skaters involved in the partner swap, I was actually most worried about her, so it's nice that Zhao said some kind things about her, and perhaps it means she'll be supported by the coaching team. My hope is that she'll gradually become more consistent with her jumps, as she gets more comfortable with Jin.

hanca

Values her privacy
I re-read this interview that @ginsengtea posted earlier. (Such a good interview! Especially because we usually hear so little from the Chinese pairs.)

I'm happy that Hongbo Zhao had some positive things to say in this interview about Cheng Peng (below).

Of the 4 skaters involved in the partner swap, I was actually most worried about her, so it's nice that Zhao said some kind things about her, and perhaps it means she'll be supported by the coaching team. My hope is that she'll gradually become more consistent with her jumps, as she gets more comfortable with Jin.
Well, it is not as if Yu was super consistent herself. She messed up the jump at the worlds. In fact, I am wondering whether her inconsistency will increase the longer she skates with Zhang, because he may start again show how unhappy he is when she makes a mistake, and she will be so stressed not to make mistake that the mistakes will be happening even more.

Dobre

Well, it is not as if Yu was super consistent herself. She messed up the jump at the worlds. In fact, I am wondering whether her inconsistency will increase the longer she skates with Zhang, because he may start again show how unhappy he is when she makes a mistake, and she will be so stressed not to make mistake that the mistakes will be happening even more.

If I remember correctly, she fell right off the bat at the GPF last season. I don't think we can blame Zhang for her having a miss at her first Worlds. Y&Z were pretty phenomenally consistent this season for a brand new team. It's pairs. Lots of high risk elements, and many more experienced partnerships that took a fall. As for Peng & Zhang's rising rate of inconsistency during their partnership, well, that happens when you start pushing for the quad throw. It has been nice to see the Chinese teams performing strong programs with elements they can land with a high success rate this season. Nice to see many pairs teams doing so at Worlds.

Sylvia

TBD
Photos from weibo - Sui/Han with Gordeeva, Pelletier and Lori Nichol in Canada: http://fyeahchinesepairs.tumblr.com/post/159496018547/suihan-with-ekaterina-gordeeva-david-pelletier

ETA @clairecloutier's post from the Programs/Choreographers thread:
There's a report from Twitter (via a Chinese news source) that Peng/Jin will have 2 new programs next season. (Originally, we heard they would be keeping their LP, but I guess that changed.) https://twitter.com/KiaraR310/status/849933507774119940
Peng/Jin SP: Tango
Peng/Jin LP: Butterfly Lovers
Choreographer for both programs: Lori Nichol

I'm now quite excited. I still remember Lu Chen's beautiful Butterfly Lovers program from Nagano. If Peng/Jin can capture a little of that magic ... could be good!!

Last edited:

ginsengtea

I'm kind of side-eyeing the Tango SP a little bit, didn't Lori have her do that Come Together tango program with Zhang just last season? Of course, it could be a great program with Jin. I wonder if they might perform their new programs at WTT then.

Last edited:

Japanfan

Zhao's force of mind is fearsome, as is the way he has been able to inspire/will his injured and re-paired team to a singleminded pursuit of Chinese glory. Their success so far makes me wonder about Chinese podium sweeps in the near future. It already looks like he is to coaching what he and Shen were to skating.

Zhao would have gotten the force of mind from Bin Yao. For those who don't know his story, he was thrown into a pair around 1980, in a country with no pairs tradition or expertise. In the book "The Second Mark" the author recounted that Bin Yao remembered audience members laughing at he and his partner, because they were so terrible. The pair finished dead last at Worlds and Olympics.

Yao went home on a mission to build up a pair school in China, and S/Z were the first team he introduced to the world. At the beginning they were only allowed to use Chinese music and couldn't train abroad. So much changed in the ensuing years, leading to that moment when Yao's pairs were first and second spots on the Olympic podium. That was a precious moment, and only one of the times we've seen Bin Yao in tears over the years.

So, the torch was passed on to Zhao. China aspires to be no less of a force in FS than Russia has been over the years.

The Russian tradition has become a bit static in that it produces pairs with technical excellence, but some of those are woefully lacking in personality. This hasn't yet happened with the Chinese pairs IMO, because China's training methods have not yet become so robotic (for lack of a better word). However, Russia has over 35 years of pairs dominance, whereas China has dominated for a much shorter time.

Jammers

Zhao would have gotten the force of mind from Bin Yao. For those who don't know his story, he was thrown into a pair around 1980, in a country with no pairs tradition or expertise. In the book "The Second Mark" the author recounted that Bin Yao remembered audience members laughing at he and his partner, because they were so terrible. The pair finished dead last at Worlds and Olympics.

Yao went home on a mission to build up a pair school in China, and S/Z were the first team he introduced to the world. At the beginning they were only allowed to use Chinese music and couldn't train abroad. So much changed in the ensuing years, leading to that moment when Yao's pairs were first and second spots on the Olympic podium. That was a precious moment, and only one of the times we've seen Bin Yao in tears over the years.

So, the torch was passed on to Zhao. China aspires to be no less of a force in FS than Russia has been over the years.

The Russian tradition has become a bit static in that it produces pairs with technical excellence, but some of those are woefully lacking in personality. This hasn't yet happened with the Chinese pairs IMO, because China's training methods have not yet become so robotic (for lack of a better word). However, Russia has over 35 years of pairs dominance, whereas China has dominated for a much shorter time.
How ironic since Chinese Pairs were criticized in the late 90's when S/Z were coming up as being technically brilliant but lacking any artistry or personality on the ice. S/Z and the other Chinese Pairs were a bit robotic in the early years too but by 2002 S/Z were vastly improved and gave one of the best Pairs performances ever a year later at Worlds.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Photos from weibo - Sui/Han with Gordeeva, Pelletier and Lori Nichol in Canada: http://fyeahchinesepairs.tumblr.com/post/159496018547/suihan-with-ekaterina-gordeeva-david-pelletier
Wish we had video of this! :)

Sui/Han recently did a promotional photo shoot in Beijing for VISA - 2 black-and-white photos are re-posted here: http://fyeahchinesepairs.tumblr.com/post/159977132057/sui-wenjing-han-cong-visa-photoshoot

Related article published on 4/25/17 that starts off "China's elite winter sports stars have set their sights on the Pyeongchang Games with just 10 months left before the 2018 Winter Games kicks off": http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1044108.shtml
Figure skating pair Sui Wenjing and Han Cong, who ended China's seven-year wait for a gold medal at the world championships after Pang Qing and Tong Jian won in 2010, said Tuesday they expect to repeat the feat in Pyeongchang, South Korea.
"Everything will get a restart after a podium finish," newly crowned champion Sui said at a promotional event in Beijing for credit card giant VISA, one of the major sponsors of the International Olympic Committee. "And next year we are having an Olympics, we need to be fully prepared for it. Every minute counts."
The same blog has more photos of Sui/Han at the VISA event (here's part of a translated interview: http://fyeahchinesepairs.tumblr.com/post/159980528362/suihan-at-a-team-visa-2018-winter-olympics ) and a recent magazine photo shoot, plus Team China members at the Champion Rink in Harbin (4/28/17): http://fyeahchinesepairs.tumblr.com/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks to the HYFV Twitter account for posting this link (translation of a lengthy interview on April 3, 2017 that took place one week after his shoulder surgery—"sometimes we take a break, in order to move further"): https://m.facebook.com/notes/han-yan-闫涵-figure-skater/han-yans-interview-following-surgerysometimes-we-take-a-break-in-order-to-move-f/641695759357236/

ETA link to the original interview in Chinese: https://m.facebook.com/notes/han-ya...後のインタビュー-時に立ち止まるのはより遠くを目指すため/641737216019757/

Last edited:

Spun Silver

Icenetwork will announce its choice for 2016-17 Person of the Year later this month. Here's one of the nominations for that honor from icenetwork contributor Wei Xiong.
Sui & Han: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/05/05/227623350
Beautiful! I dont know who all the nominees are yet but I hope they win.* No guts and glory like theirs this past season!

* Unless Mao is nominated. My sole caveat.

Sylvia

TBD
Sui & Han are part of "The Comeback Skater" that IceNetwork named as their 2016-17 Person of the Year - article is linked here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/in...ll-it-a-takeover-in-2016-17-comebacks.101262/

Article in English on TONG Jian of (Pang/Tong): http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/2017-05/18/content_29399629.htm
Excerpts:
In keeping with the sport's tradition of naming the female skater first, the 37-year-old recently opened Pang Qing/Tong Jian Arena near the 5th Ring Road in eastern Beijing.
Tong's dizzying array of activities doesn't stop there. He also teaches private lessons, and, after tucking his son into bed, spends the remaining hours of the day on another project: a touring ice show that portrays different elements of Chinese culture.
"China has not yet seen a meaningful performance that showcases its culture in the form of figure skating," said Tong.
"From the storyline to music to the production, I wish to create something that incorporates Chinese elements and showcases them on a global stage."
To help professional athletes prepare for life after sports, Tong's company has also joined the Chinese State General Administration of Sports in a policy-support program to ensure employment opportunities.
"I am very fortunate to have what I have today; I am working hard so I can help more professional athletes to live to their fullest potential outside of the competitive world," he said.
Han YAN update with photos (May 19):
https://twitter.com/HanYanFanVan/status/865536639472246784
"1/2 #HanYAN has approximately half an hour skating time everyday but yet unable to complete any technical element."
https://twitter.com/HanYanFanVan/status/865537011746095108
"2/2 It is estimated that he will leave hospital in middle June and go to Canada to work with Lori [Nichol] on his two new programs choreography."

clairecloutier

There was a news conference in China to discuss the current state of Chinese skating (all disciplines). Translation here.

Key points:

--Apparently Yao Bin has completely retired
--Hongbo Zhao is now the head coach for all 4 skating disciplines
--He will extend the Chinese pairs training model to the singles disciplines
--Chinese skating needs to improve in all aspects, but for singles, particularly in artistry and skating skills
--Zijun recently spent an entire month in Canada working only on choreography and presentation
--Zijun will apparently now train together with other Chinese ladies (sounds like her stint with Mishin is over)

Marco

Thanks clairecloutier.

Sounds great. With Yao Bin's ill health, perhaps he was just waiting for another CHN pairs champion to be crowned before he could retire, and now he can.

To say the singles need to work on skating skills almost suggests that they have already forgotten about Yan Han. :( Now that he is no longer the Chinese #1, hopefully the pressure is off and he can take more time off to heal.

Zijun desperately needs to work on speed and power, not really choreography. Her lack of speed and power affect both the PCS and the jump rotations.

Japanfan

Apparently Yao Bin has completely retired

I'm sure going to miss him in the K/C. He built the Chinese pairs program almost single-handedly, and the success of the first three pairs he brought to the world was nothing short of remarkable. He's been in tears more than once in the K&C over the years to be sure!

I remember back in the 90s, when S/Z had just started competing on the world level. The Chinese pairs could only use Chinese music IIRC, and getting help from outside China was not allowed.

How incredibly far the Chinese pairs have gone since that time.

Yao Bin leaves behind a legacy that will endure beyond his lifetime and was sparked in part by the humiliation of being half of the world's worst pair (he recalls audience members laughing at his pair). At the moment, Sui/Han would be that legacy. I don't know whether they ever worked directly with Yao Bin - I don't think so, and IIRC they worked with his previous partner? But Yao Bin has passed the baton on to Zhao, who is now coaching S/H.

Also, Bin's tremendous passion for the sport was/is as important as his technical expertise. I remember Shen commenting in a book on how much Bin Yao loved loved loved to win. And Bin remarking that he "loved his wife, but loved his skaters too".

I sure don't envy his wife! Hopefully they will have more together time as a retired couple.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
There was a news conference in China to discuss the current state of Chinese skating (all disciplines). Translation here.

Key points:
--Zijun recently spent an entire month in Canada working only on choreography and presentation
It was nice to see Zijun Li looking happy in Dice Murakami's recent vlog linked here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/in...log-verners-31st-birthday-celebration.101410/

News on Xiangning Li's programs: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/in...nd-choreographers.101017/page-25#post-5089299

Japanfan

Wenjing Sui stated in a Chinese interview that Sui/Han's goals are Olympic gold in both 2018 & 2022: http://bit.ly/2uNXHow

Not a surprise, really; I think most people anticipated Sui/Han would continue to 2022. But still, nice to know. :)

They are the favorites for 2018, but who knows what can happen between now and 2022. To the pairs field, and to S/H themselves - they could be sidetracked by injury, or just simply past their peak.

hanca

Values her privacy
They are the favorites for 2018, but who knows what can happen between now and 2022. To the pairs field, and to S/H themselves - they could be sidetracked by injury, or just simply past their peak.
Absolutely. Let's look what happened to the Olympic gold medals favourites in the past. Savchenko/Szolkowi won worlds at 2008 and 2009 and were clearly the strongest pair in season 2007-08 and 2008-09, and so they were expected to win Olympics in 2010 and then they placed 3rd at the Olympics. Then they were again the strongest pair in 2010-11 and 2011-12, and then suddenly there came Volosozhar/Trankov ....
At the moment, S/H are the strongest (or one of the strongest, because I think Savchenko/Massot are quite comparable) pairs, but that doesn't mean that they can keep it up for the next 5 seasons.

VGThuy

Did anyone say S/H were going to win gold in 2022 or that it was a sure thing they'll compete there? It's just a goal they have for themselves right now. We all know goals can change. I don't think it's a stretch to anticipate that their current plans have 2022 in mind, especially with it being in Beijing. It's like how even before Nagano, Kwan said she wanted to continue to 2002. Of course had she won gold in 1998 who knows what her motivation towards 2002 would have changed but it probable she would continue since Kwan seemed more driven by the competition aspect of skating.

hanca

Values her privacy
Did anyone say S/H were going to win gold in 2022 or that it was a sure thing they'll compete there? It's just a goal they have for themselves right now. We all know goals can change. I don't think it's a stretch to anticipate that their current plans have 2022 in mind, especially with it being in Beijing. It's like how even before Nagano, Kwan said she wanted to continue to 2002. Of course had she won gold in 1998 who knows what her motivation towards 2002 would have changed but it probable she would continue since Kwan seemed more driven by the competition aspect of skating.
To me it sounded a bit bigheaded. I know they are athletes and have to aim high. If they said their goal is to continue till 2022 Olympics, I think it would sound better. If they say that they are aiming for Gold at 2018 and 2022, to me it is like tempting the fate. That's why I mentioned Savchenko/Szolkowy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information