Chinese Skating News, Pt. 3: A long & winding road to Beijing 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobre

I wasn't familiar with Christy Yi before this week's JGP, but I was very impressed. How hard would it be for China to recruit a Hong Kong skater in time for Beijing (apologies if this has already been discussed)? She's surely better and more promising than any other lady they have.

Why would she want to compete for China when she can already compete for Hong Kong?

jlai

Question everything
Why would she want to compete for China when she can already compete for Hong Kong?
If China wants her there are ways to make that happen. But maybe her parents funded all her skating and therefore can do what they want

alexikeguchi

Primarily funding, as I'd imagine her expenses are pretty high with her training in the US. But if her family has enough that they don't care, then of course there's no reason for her to want to switch.

SamuraiK

Why would someone want to switch to the CHN fed? You can be arguably their top lady skater (Zijun) and keep getting withdrawn from all the events because they don't like your attitude or you can be a guarannted GP skater in singles (Han Yan) and still not assigned to the national team because you didn't want to swich to ice dance.

jlai

Question everything
Let's not forget, Hong Kong is part of China. But if she funds her skating just fine and lives most of her time in the states, she and her parents can ignore whatever China wants, even if political pressure arises.

binbinwinwin

They can't force her to skate for China if she doesn't want to and her name hasn't come up at all.

Also Zijun and Han's case were due to internal politics, not attitude.

Marco

Representing China at the Olympics means having to obtain Chinese citizenship and at the same time letting go of her HKSAR passport and potentially the US citizenship/passport.

But financial considerations side, it also means being guaranteed a spot at the Olympics representing the home team, and having a legit shot at the team medal (if they can sort out dance). There is no guarantee that she can qualify for the BJ Olympics at 2021 Worlds / Nelbelhorn etc if she skates for HK and obviously China can exert pressure on the HK Federation to withdraw her if she doesn't oblige to switch. Then again, even if she would oblige, there is no guarantee that there won't be another jumping protige from China emerging crica 2021 to take that spot from her - and by that time it would be too late for her to switch back to HK.

nimi

Interesting tweet about the upcoming Chinese National Training Camp in Beijing: https://twitter.com/iskating_pt/status/1038118060903677952

The 'ladies' roster includes ZIJUN LI!!!! :eek: :cheer:

Also Wang/Wang is the only pair on the list and Xiaoyu Yu is listed under 'ladies'...? :eek: :confused:
What's going on? Is she really going to skate singles or is she just without a partner ATM? Has anybody heard anything about Hao Zhang?

(Not sure how official/accurate this info is but Jackie Wong retweeted it so...)

angi

Also Wang/Wang is the only pair on the list and Xiaoyu Yu is listed under 'ladies'...? :eek::confused:
What's going on? Is she really going to skate singles or is she just without a partner ATM? Has anybody heard anything about Hao Zhang?
I really hope this is some kind of mistake, I think Yu/Zhang has a lot of potential and can grow into a very successful team and if we are being honest, Xiaoyu Yu is an amazing skater but jumps are an issue for her so I'm not sure singles is really the right avenue for her.

binbinwinwin

Interesting tweet about the upcoming Chinese National Training Camp in Beijing: https://twitter.com/iskating_pt/status/1038118060903677952

The 'ladies' roster includes ZIJUN LI!!!! :eek::cheer:

Also Wang/Wang is the only pair on the list and Xiaoyu Yu is listed under 'ladies'...? :eek::confused:

(Not sure how official/accurate this info is but Jackie Wong retweeted it so...)

That's Pang/Tong's official Twitter, they launched their own skating website after their retirement. The information is accurate but Pang/Tong are the head coaches and this is being held at the commercial rink that they work at and not Shen/Zhao who run the National team.

seabm7

I'm not sure what to think of this news. The tweet was created by Pang & Tong's Skating Club, not by the official Chinese Figure Skating Association.

binbinwinwin

Who paid for this camp I wonder.

The official announcement (which surprisingly Pang/Tong did not post on their twitter) says that they is paid for by State General Sports Administration of China.

I'm not sure what to think of this news. The tweet was created by Pang & Tong's Skating Club, not by the official Chinese Figure Skating Association.

You have the right amount of skepticism over all of this.

Japanfan

:confused:

I don't see why Pang and Tong should not post about their work as coaches.

That's Pang/Tong's official Twitter, they launched their own skating website after their retirement. The information is accurate but Pang/Tong are the head coaches and this is being held at the commercial rink that they work at and not Shen/Zhao who run the National team.

Again, what's the issue?

seabm7

:confused:

I don't see why Pang and Tong should not post about their work as coaches.

Again, what's the issue?

If Pang and Tong's camp were to be a private gathering and funded privately, I woudn't concern. But it's advertised as "national", which implies it is sanctioned by a higher governmental entity.

Now, Chinese Figure Skating Association is a governmental subsidy, but looks like the Association got bypassed in this matter. This is remarkable.

Last edited:

Japanfan

If Pang and Tong's camp were a private gathering and funded privately, I woudn't concern. But it's advertised as "national", which implies it is sanctioned by a higher governmental entity.

Now, Chinese Figure Skating Association is a governmental subsidy, but looks like the Association got bypassed in this matter. This is remarkable.

Right, right. I see.

Are you suggesting that Pang and Tong are charging people privately to attend their camp?

Would the Chinese Fed even allow that? I assume it has a pretty strong position with regard to being usurped in any way.

seabm7

barbarafan

With that many number of participants, I was guessing that they might have found private sponsors. Then the news got out that the camp will be funded by State General Sports Administration of China. Here is a wikipedia entry on this entity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_General_Administration_of_Sports

mmmmmmm... It is possible that they did it as a small private thing but reaction was really good so it got a lot of attention which Admin got wind of and suggested they wouldn't shut it down if it was said to be Admin supported and driven? My imagination never stretches enough on things like this. I always get surprised.

binbinwinwin

Right, right. I see.

Are you suggesting that Pang and Tong are charging people privately to attend their camp?

Would the Chinese Fed even allow that? I assume it has a pretty strong position with regard to being usurped in any way.

There are not, the letter says that skaters will bring their own skating equipment and training clothes and pay for their own transportation and to bring receipts for transportation costs (limited to high speed rail) to be reimbursed. The skaters don't pay anything, they invited for month long training and at the end, those who do well will be chosen for Pang/Tong's National Figure Skating Team.

This is not the official Chinese Federation and not run by the Chinese Figure Skating Association, that is the issue. While they are receiving government funding for this project as per the official announcement, it's problematic that they would call it another National Figure Skating Team when there already is one.

nimi

English translation of a Chinese article explaining the role that this Pang/Tong National Team is supposed to play:
http://drag0ness.tumblr.com/post/177959659217/the-establishment-of-the-pangtong-national-figure

a couple of excerpts:
To prepare for the 2022 Olympics, directors in the General Sports Administration have been trying to introduce a variety of initiatives such as interdisciplinary exchange, youth development initiatives, establishing training groups and so on. Establishing a Pang Qing/Tong Jian National Team not only recognizes that Pang Qing and Tong Jian are experts in working with the body and mind, but also their efforts in promoting development and innovation in the sport. (...)

Reports say that the camp will have more than one phase. The list of invited athletes that were released are from various clubs and provinces and many have retired or are nearing retirement. “In this group, some of them are thinking of leaving the sport due to injury, some are experiencing uncertainty in their thoughts, the directors think that the athletes are just going through some short term difficulties, and that they need to step in and help them out of that low so that they can realize their own value again.” (...)

The athletes that have been chosen for the training team will receive training from top domestic coaches and coaches from abroad, they will also find opportunities to go overseas for training. Through these opportunities, they want to see if they can produce some young athletes with potential, but also for the athletes who are about to leave the sport, they hope that through their training, they can help them with their recovery. Athletes are also eligible to receive training grants. More importantly, athletes who perform well can be directly selected for the 2022 Olympics.
It also says Yu Xiaoyu is currently looking for a partner...

angi

It also says Yu Xiaoyu is currently looking for a partner...
I wonder it it means that Zhang have retired, I really thought that he will do the impossible and push for 2022 and I was rooting for this two, their Swan Lake SP really showed how much potential they have as a team.

hanca

Values her privacy
I wonder it it means that Zhang have retired, I really thought that he will do the impossible and push for 2022 and I was rooting for this two, their Swan Lake SP really showed how much potential they have as a team.
I am sure he would want to, but if the body is breaking down, even the strongest will can do nothing about it. At the last worlds he had tape on his elbows and his lifts were a bit risky. I had some doubts whether he would last another four years. Maybe if he tool three years break and came just for the Olympics... but if the skating moves towards harder elements (3A and quads), he won’t have a chance.

hanca

Values her privacy
There are not, the letter says that skaters will bring their own skating equipment and training clothes and pay for their own transportation and to bring receipts for transportation costs (limited to high speed rail) to be reimbursed. The skaters don't pay anything, they invited for month long training and at the end, those who do well will be chosen for Pang/Tong's National Figure Skating Team.

This is not the official Chinese Federation and not run by the Chinese Figure Skating Association, that is the issue. While they are receiving government funding for this project as per the official announcement, it's problematic that they would call it another National Figure Skating Team when there already is one.
I don’t understand that. So are there going to be two national teams? Or is it like creating a new school for top skaters? So that the skaters can choose where/with whom they want to train? Or is it for skaters who are struggling, to help them get back on the right track?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information