Chinese Skating News, Pt. 3: A long & winding road to Beijing 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

nimi

I have not been following, can anyone explain to me what is the situation with Yan Han? Has he retired?
New interview with Han Yan: "I'm going to take full responsibility for myself"
On June 20th, Han Yan attended the strategic cooperation conference of the Qing Pang and Jian Tong Ice Art Center. He clarified that he wasn’t retired but was just no longer the Chinese national team. He announced that he was joining the Qing Pang and Jian Tong Ice Art Center and becoming a professional athlete. If the national team needs him and he feels in good shape, he is eager to compete again. Yan assured us that he still has a passion for figure skating and will stick to it.
After a disappointing 26th place finish at the 2016 Worlds in Boston, Yan felt depressed for a couple of months. Then, he trained with Qing Pang for a few months and regained his confidence. During his training with coach Mingzhu Li, he felt positive and made strides on his way back. He won the bronze medal at the 2017 Asian Winter Games and continued to improve day by day. However, a week before the 2017 World Championships in Helsinki, Yan injured his shoulder. He could only do triples and felt much pain during practices. For some reason, he chose to withdraw from the competition and speak up about his injury. A few days later, he successfully underwent surgery. After that, the contract with Coach Li expired and Ms. Pang was also no longer a part of the Chinese National Team. He trained with Coach Hongbo Zhao and shared the ice with the pairs teams until the Olympics. The result in PyeongChang was not the best. Yan didn’t think that the suggestion of switching to ice dance, which was offered by the national team was a good idea for him. It would be even more difficult than singles to some extent. Therefore, he thought about quitting and retiring.
iskating: What’s your goals for the future?

Han Yan: I’m focusing on recovery now and also adjusting my mental state. What I’ve been through actually helps me grow and mature. I learn from my experiences. I’m not going to only think about training now but first improve my physical ability. I also hope that our new elite group will be able to produce amazing young athletes. I will try to perform more and enrich my choreography. I will keep learning and moving forward. At least I’m going to keep myself busy.” (Laugh)

SamuraiK

Even with his subpar results of last season Yan still deserved a place on the singles national team. I get the impression that CHN fed was basically "you either switch to dance or bye bye". Very unfair.

Marco

Even with his subpar results of last season Yan still deserved a place on the singles national team. I get the impression that CHN fed was basically "you either switch to dance or bye bye". Very unfair.

Unfair but probably right. I love Yan Han but he isn't going to out-place Jin Boyang going forward unless he had a meltdown, and isn't going to be the big medal threat for China in 2022. He isn't going to earn a 3rd spot together with Boyang for Chinese men and there isn't even a third man remotely on their level. He is injury-prone and isn't even getting the sal let alone the more difficult quads.

He isn't quite tall enough for pairs so it is understandable that they want him to pursue dance, given his skills and the fact that dance is China's weakest link to a team medal in 2022. I think a team of Yan Han and Li Zijun would work if they both wanted to do it, and is the most realistic route for either of them to get an Olympic medal.

feraina

Unfair but probably right. I love Yan Han but he isn't going to out-place Jin Boyang going forward unless he had a meltdown, and isn't going to be the big medal threat for China in 2022. He isn't going to earn a 3rd spot together with Boyang for Chinese men and there isn't even a third man remotely on their level. He is injury-prone and isn't even getting the sal let alone the more difficult quads.

He isn't quite tall enough for pairs so it is understandable that they want him to pursue dance, given his skills and the fact that dance is China's weakest link to a team medal in 2022. I think a team of Yan Han and Li Zijun would work if they both wanted to do it, and is the most realistic route for either of them to get an Olympic medal.
Li is lovely but isn’t the strongest in skating skills or edgework.

Marco

Li is lovely but isn’t the strongest in skating skills or edgework.

None of the Chinese ladies are. They need to have a basics coach, not just one that forces them to do jumps and spins.

Li would make a beautiful flower for the team though.

SamuraiK

The reasons for CHN fed to try to persuade him to switch to dance are understandable but their method of "our way or the highway" it's what 's deplorable in my book. You said it yourself, there's no one remotely on Yan's level for the #2 spot no matter how far he actually is from Boyang's #1, even at this point he's still much better than the 2 young boys on the team so why not giving him the international chances. But I guess that's the unconvenient truth of a system that operates on state sponsorship.

This quote from the interview is quite telling and sad :( :
"I’m going to start again from the beginning. I will not be able to go to competitions like Worlds if I’m not on the national team, but I can still compete at nationals. If I can’t, I will go to club competitions. I will shine no matter where I am".

Sylvia

TBD
Some news from Pang&Tong's website about the Chinese Team:
twitter link

2018-19 Chinese Figure Skating National Team Men: Boyang JIN, Yudong CHEN, Shuai FANG Lady: Xiangning LI Pairs: Group A: Wenjing SUI/Han CONG, Cheng PENG/Yang JIN, Xiangning LI/Zhong XIE, Yuchen WANG/Yihang HUANG

Group B: Feiyao TANG/Yongchao YANG, Huidi WANG/Zijian WANG, Motong LIU/Tianze Wang, Yuyao ZHANG/Ziqi Jia Group C: Yumeng GAO/Yuhang LIU, LU ZHENG/Lei ZHU, Jiaen LI/Ziming DONG Ice Dance: Shiyue WANG/Xinyu LIU, Hong CHEN/Zhuoming SUN, Wanqi NING/Chao WANG

[it's sad to see their top ice dance team in group C]

Junior Ladies: Hongyi Chen, Xinhui Feng, Qijing Cao, Siyang Zhang, Hengxin Jin Ice Dance: Xizi Chen/Jianing Xing, Yuzhu Guo/Pengkun Zhao
I don't see the pair team of Mingyang ZHANG / Bowen SONG (ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00102572.htm ) listed on the national team - anyone know their status? They're #50 on the 2017-18 ISU SB list.

ETA:
Yu/Zhang are at the moment out of the team because of her foot injury
source
Yu/Zhang's names were crossed out of their GPs (Skate America #1 and IdF #6 on July 9. :(

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
July 21 article on Wenjing Sui in English: http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-07/21/c_137339683.htm
Sui was diagnosed of a bone fatigue fracture in the right foot not long after her and her skating partner's first Winter Games.
She was then forced to rest her injured foot "without bearing any weight", while Han kept training and preparing their new programs for the 2018-2019 season.
It's not until earlier this month that Sui ended her in-hospital rehabilitation and came back to the national squad to resume regular on-ice training immediately for the 2022 Beijing Winter Games preparation.
"There's nothing serious on my injured foot right now," Sui told Xinhua while taking an observation lesson with China's gymnastic national team alongside with 17 other skaters from the Chinese figure skating eam in Beijing on Saturday.
"I've been training very hard since my return to the national squad," she added. "The main task for me is to lose some weight and try to get back to my normal level, technically speaking."
Sui returned to the national team three weeks ago and kept doing some basic skating and sliding training on the ice ever since.
"I'm not capable of doing high-quality skating skills and air rotations now, and also, since my injury was fatigue fracture, which means my foot bones are still fragile. I have to keep my training level with a scale of safety," she said.

Mad for Skating

Lose weight? Girrrrrrrl I'm both jealous and concerned.

I wonder if Sui/Han and Yu/Zhang will be re-using last year's programs. I don't think we've seen any news reports or social media of them getting new programs in Canada as usual.

Hmm, good question! Well if Y/Z keep Swan Lake I'll be a happy girl (although the FS didn't grab me). Sui/Han's programs weren't shabby either.

feraina

Peng/Jin skated great in Asian Open Trophy, especially for being so early in the season: SP 71.54 LP 134.88 Total 206.42

There were only two teams though. They beat out Ryom/Kim. Do they still get any points or record a SB?

They skated a clean SP and a pretty clean LP (except for 2S at the start). They can work on their levels. But it’s very early in the season. If they can keep up their form they could make it to GPF again. Its a great year for them to break through.

I haven’t seen either of their programs yet. I can’t wait.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
In order to get WS points, there need to be five Pairs from three members.

Only ISU championships, GP/GPF/JGP/JGPF, Challenger Series, WTT, and Olympics/Youth Olympic Games count for SB.

An international competition must have two participants from two members in order to earn the TES minimums at them. They already have them, and these would carry over to next season, were they not to compete for the rest of the season.

feraina

In order to get WS points, there need to be five Pairs from three members.

Only ISU championships, GP/GPF/JGP/JGPF, Challenger Series, WTT, and Olympics/Youth Olympic Games count for SB.

An international competition must have two participants from two members in order to earn the TES minimums at them. They already have them, and these would carry over to next season, were they not to compete for the rest of the season.
This was a CS no? So it should count for SB?

Japanfan

binbinwinwin

From what the article says, it was Boyang's choice not to go to Canada. That seems a bit off to me, I wonder what his reasons are. Maybe because Bryan will be spending time in China?

One article says he will work specifically with female skaters, another just says skaters.

Brian is a good coach but we should assume that everyone wants to throw themselves at him, Boyang has his own reasons.

He will be advising the entire National team (and anyone who trains with them) along with Chinese coaches to help their overall development for the Olympics, but he will also try to help with their ladies' figure skating program as it is their weakest.

barbarafan

Brian is a good coach but we should assume that everyone wants to throw themselves at him, Boyang has his own reasons.

He will be advising the entire National team (and anyone who trains with them) along with Chinese coaches to help their overall development for the Olympics, but he will also try to help with their ladies' figure skating program as it is their weakest.
In one write-up they said he liked the setup of his coaches and how he was training and wanted to stay in China and they were respecting his wishes.
That is certainly a new way of thinking for them. Prior athletes were told what age they were and what injuries should be repaired and to what degree they should be repaired and when.

alexikeguchi

I wasn't familiar with Christy Yi before this week's JGP, but I was very impressed. How hard would it be for China to recruit a Hong Kong skater in time for Beijing (apologies if this has already been discussed)? She's surely better and more promising than any other lady they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information