Carreira/Ponomarenko Need a Cheer Thread

Sylvia

TBD
Here's what they said afterwards, as published in the ISU Quick Quotes document (RD group 2):

Carreira: We’re really happy with how today went and I think probably the best performance of the season.
The crowd is amazing, we’re just really happy to be here. Our experience here has been amazing, and the
fact that it’s in Japan is even better. We walked around Takeshita street and we went to a park and it was
really fun. I hope to see the sakura before we leave. (going into the Free Dance) We’re excited. It will be
our last time skating that program and we love it so much so we just want to share our love with the crowd
and do our best performance.

Ponomarenko: We’re officially world competitors and it’s an overwhelming feeling. We’re happy with how
today went and we want to carry that momentum into tomorrow. (going into the Free Dance) It’s my favorite
free dance by far so it’s going to be exciting to skate it and we’re looking forward to a good performance.

sap5

Christina is such a good skater now! Anthony has to work to catch up, and he looks motivated to do so! Love to see them confident and happy. Being in the right mental space is the first step. Looking forward to seeing how these two continue to improve.

Last edited:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
bookmarking this tweet for the next time someone tries to question whether the even like each other or not

Their partnership seems to be in such a great place. I know they spoke about how difficult it was to be separated while he had his surgery and rehab, but they seem to have come out stronger for it in the end.

litenkyckling

I have to say I’ve never seen anyone say this but yeah that’s just not true? They’ve always clearly been friends who respect each other?

Rukia

I have to say I’ve never seen anyone say this but yeah that’s just not true? They’ve always clearly been friends who respect each other?
lol it was said in the pbp thread for us nats or 4cc I forget which. It's not that big a deal I'm just old and tired.

litenkyckling

I'm in two minds about the FD:

1) It was gorgeous and the best they've skated all season. The new ending pose was lovely. The combo lift was the best it's been since Sheffield. The mood they set is quite different from any other FD at the event, which until now has been their downfall I feel. They've really proven their reliability this season. A great debut (performance wise). Super proud of what they have achieved.

2) I'm pretty annoyed about the score. I don't think that the crowd were bad (I mean obviously not, its Japan after all) but I do think that they were a little muted because they wanted KanaDai to go ahead of them. But we all know that the crowd can make a marginal difference. Their PCS were lower than at any other event this season. Their BV was 0.01 behind Gr/P and R/A - but the GOEs were not the same as the rest of their group. I just feel like they weren't adequately rewarded for what they put out there. 11 points back from Green and Parsons is a massive ? for me because I don't think that point dofferential reflects what they put out there.

When will they stop having to pay for their past mistakes? Because they are still at that stage where they need to be flawless to get even close to 115 but other teams can make mistakes and not be perfectly in synch etc and not have to pay the same in loss of GOE.

Bigbird

Be gentle with these two. First, the judging was clearly pre-cooked, had nothing to do with reality. Enjoy the skates. Still cannot see how the eventual winners scored as high as they did. Boggles the mind. Also they are also being punished for Anthony's form. Judges want what they want and nothing changes that. Hope they are even better next season.

Rukia

I mean some of that was being punished for being USA #3 here. It was always going to be an uphill battle. They improved with both skates though, and they seemed pretty thrilled with top 10, so I think they knew how the wind was blowing as well.

litenkyckling

Be gentle with these two. First, the judging was clearly pre-cooked, had nothing to do with reality. Enjoy the skates. Still cannot see how the eventual winners scored as high as they did. Boggles the mind. Also they are also being punished for Anthony's form. Judges want what they want and nothing changes that. Hope they are even better next season.
I mean I did enjoy the skates - I thought it was their best event of the season but the judging made me so mad because they deserved better

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
They looked so secure and confident and so happy out there. I mean, they looked Kazuki Tomono levels of happy. :lol: It was just a joy to watch them and I'm so glad for them. :swoon:

Of course the judging sucked, but that doesn't take away from that beautiful performance.

Spiralgraph

Writing in this cheer thread too. Well done for Christina and Anthony! :) Dang it I said this before , but after my faves H/B I think I'm going to support every dance team, beacause they're all so darn good!

litenkyckling

Absolutely. they are beaming with joy
This comment was from a couple of pages back referring to their Wednesday exhibition number - as you’ve said they are beaming with joy do you have access to the footage of it from the show they did it for? Just interested as I’m sure we’d all like to see it 😊

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
I absolutely loved their FD this season. Was my fave. They did an amazing job at their first Worlds and top 10 is great. They have the goods now to be very competitive and I hope they can work hard (Anthony especially) to get sharper and stronger. I am officially an uber for them!

ETA: The judging kinda sucked for this worlds...all my years of watching ice dance and I still don't get some of the mindset of the judges. Very frustrating for fans.

Rukia

I absolutely loved their FD this season. Was my fave. They did an amazing job at their first Worlds and top 10 is great. They have the goods now to be very competitive and I hope they can work hard (Anthony especially) to get sharper and stronger. I am officially an uber for them!

ETA: The judging kinda sucked for this worlds...all my years of watching ice dance and I still don't get some of the mindset of the judges. Very frustrating for fans.
one of us, one of us

And yeah, the judging was really wonky for like the entire event. Still for them to come in top ten, first worlds, with this panel, is a great accomplishment. And I noticed in that last warm-up that Anthony in particular was just beaming. He genuinely looked like he was having the time of his life out there, and that made me happy that this season which started with surgery and slow recovery for him ended with their first senior worlds.

sap5

one of us, one of us

And yeah, the judging was really wonky for like the entire event. Still for them to come in top ten, first worlds, with this panel, is a great accomplishment. And I noticed in that last warm-up that Anthony in particular was just beaming. He genuinely looked like he was having the time of his life out there, and that made me happy that this season which started with surgery and slow recovery for him ended with their first senior worlds.
This, plus the incredible improvement in Christina! I feel like this hasn't been emphasized enough, even though people talk about it. She had to break down years of ingrained technique and skate in a new way, and she did it. And Anthony is on his way to doing the same. That they did all that and stayed happy and enthusiastic says a lot about who they are, and their training atmosphere.

ETA: If you had told me 3 years ago that Christina would be the star skater of this team in 2023, I wouldn't have believed it.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
I started liking this team at first because of Anthony, I loved his parents back in the day (Dracula, Romeo&Juliet, the Beatles, the Barre Ballet exhibition, so many great programs) but now they are truly on my radar because of their improvement, Christina is fabulous! I remember reading that Scott worked with her during Anthony's recovery time, not sure who else worked with her, but boy, does it show! She isn't fully there but my suggestion to her would be to watch some vids of Madison Chock to get the idea of selling sexy without being over the top about it. I could totally see her becoming that. She's nearly there.

dinakt

I started liking this team at first because of Anthony, I loved his parents back in the day (Dracula, Romeo&Juliet, the Beatles, the Barre Ballet exhibition, so many great programs) but now they are truly on my radar because of their improvement, Christina is fabulous! I remember reading that Scott worked with her during Anthony's recovery time, not sure who else worked with her, but boy, does it show! She isn't fully there but my suggestion to her would be to watch some vids of Madison Chock to get the idea of selling sexy without being over the top about it. I could totally see her becoming that. She's nearly there.
Could not agree more. Christina made a massive improvement in the quality of her skating and in ability to effortlessly hold attention.
Madison Chock was totally over the top when she started though, and made a beautiful long journey into her star power.

Sylvia

TBD
Christina's banquet photos :): https://www.instagram.com/p/CqTzrxuryRG/

One of her Instagram stories (now expired) showed her holding a cute meerkat (she & Anthony went to a small animal cafe after they were done - he posed with a fennec fox!).

She posted yesterday ("I’ll never forget this competition, thank you so much!!"): https://www.instagram.com/p/CqRbzr3ve7Q/

Anthony's post yesterday ("I will forever treasure the memories and experiences from this past week. Thank you Japan ❤️🇯🇵"): https://www.instagram.com/p/CqRgTW5PEGq/

Sylvia

TBD

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information