Carreira/Ponomarenko Need a Cheer Thread

angi

Who knows? HawBak are never ones for posting much on their social media when they're in Montreal and busy with training. I know Jean-Luc was back up there last week because he was hanging out in the evening with Saul Ambrulevicius and posted some stuff from that on his IG.
I don't think JL was in Montreal, he posted old photos that were taken there. I was also not aware TSL posted anything about it, I really wish they will stop stirring the pot.
The reason I think it's more and more likely CPom will be going is that I just can't imagine how H/B can get ready in time when worlds practices start in less than 4 weeks and it's more than likely that they have been off the ice since the beginning of January if not prior to that. It's just not enough time to regroup (and to be clear I'm heartbroken for H/B and wish CPom's opportunity came under better circumstances).

chameleonster

Honestly I'm really bummed about it, because Kaitlin's knee at GPF was so heavily bandaged and it seems they've been really struggling. I really hope their time off will allow them to heal properly and bounce back stronger than ever, but Worlds is only four weeks away, so it feels like it would be better for them to take a longer break to rally for next season.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I tend to agree that things look iffy for H/B right now, which makes me super sad. I just hope if cpom do end up at worlds they are able to just have a good time and not feel too much pressure being the sub in.

They did state after 4ccs that they were continuing to train as alternates, so no doubt they will be prepared to do their best either way.

Rukia

Anthony posted a pic of the two of them tagged in Klamath Falls, Oregon, which upon googling I discovered they are skating in the Luv 2 Sk8 show at the Bill Collier Ice Arena. It's nice that they are getting to skate in a show like that. Hopefully someone out there will get some good photos and/or videos for us (crossing my fingers for that anyway haha).

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Anthony posted a pic of the two of them tagged in Klamath Falls, Oregon, which upon googling I discovered they are skating in the Luv 2 Sk8 show at the Bill Collier Ice Arena. It's nice that they are getting to skate in a show like that. Hopefully someone out there will get some good photos and/or videos for us (crossing my fingers for that anyway haha).
Not driving down to K-Falls this weekend. Sorry.

Karen-W

you were the chosen one how could you

jk I only the vaguest of clues where you love we need a young person with time and energy to do this for us
That's a long drive from here - about 6 hours, IIRC. And with the winter weather conditions and over the Cascades, that's a straight up no from me.

Karen-W

Not a surprise by any means, but I'm both happy for cpom and super sad for H/B.
Not that I don't trust AnythingGOEs to post anything unconfirmed, but I'm not finding any official announcement on the USFS social media channels or on their websites, nor has the International Assignments page been updated to reflect this.

DreamSkates

I think those might have been old because Camden's IG says he, Jean-Luc, and Nathan are still at Yale? But the real thing people are talking about is that Dave Lease posted on Patreon that H/B aren't going to Worlds. Though obviously we should always take everything from TSL with a pound of salt.

EDIT: The photos JLB posted were from January before H/B withdrew from Nationals.
Which is what USFS announced H/B out of worlds.

litenkyckling

Now that Kaitlin and Jean Luc have confirmed that this is an on-going inury and that they do plan to continue, I can feel more excited for Anthony and Christina.

Looking at season's bests and previous competitions, I think if they have great skates then top 10 is possible. Imagining top 5 will be some order of c/b, g/p, g/f, f-b/s, f/g - then 6-10 will be gr/p, t/v, r/a - with the final spot in the top 10 going to either cpom, l/b or the taschlers. All three teams have had similar scoring will all three scoring around 32/33 in RD pcs and around 50 in FD pcs. I really think this will come down to a) performance on the actual day - especially technically and b) politiking. The judging panel will be AUS, CZE, EST, FIN, FRA, GBR, HUN, ISR, ITA, LTU, POL, SUI, UKR - so I think it's likely that they will be outside of the top 10 since CZE want 2 spots for next year as do FRA and FIN.

Karen-W

Now that Kaitlin and Jean Luc have confirmed that this is an on-going inury and that they do plan to continue, I can feel more excited for Anthony and Christina.

Looking at season's bests and previous competitions, I think if they have great skates then top 10 is possible. Imagining top 5 will be some order of c/b, g/p, g/f, f-b/s, f/g - then 6-10 will be gr/p, t/v, r/a - with the final two spots in the top 10 going to either cpom, l/b or the taschlers. All three teams have had similar scoring will all three scoring around 32/33 in RD pcs and around 50 in FD pcs. I really think this will come down to a) performance on the actual day - especially technically and b) politiking. The judging panel will be AUS, CZE, EST, FIN, FRA, GBR, HUN, ISR, ITA, LTU, POL, SUI, UKR - so I think it's likely that they will be outside of the top 10 since CZE want 2 spots for next year as do FRA and FIN.
You only listed three likely teams for 6-10, so there should be 2 spots open. I'd bet hard on LopBri getting one of them - between a favorable panel and IAM politics to back them. The Taschlers lost to CarPon at GP Espoo and I think they're vulnerable to being outside the top 10 because YGA doesn't have the same political pull as IAM. The Taschlers are also up against it in the RD starting order, since they're seeded in the 11-15 group while both CarPon and LopBri are seeded in the 6-10 group.

litenkyckling

You only listed three likely teams for 6-10, so there should be 2 spots open. I'd bet hard on LopBri getting one of them - between a favorable panel and IAM politics to back them. The Taschlers lost to CarPon at GP Espoo and I think they're vulnerable to being outside the top 10 because YGA doesn't have the same political pull as IAM. The Taschlers are also up against it in the RD starting order, since they're seeded in the 11-15 group while both CarPon and LopBri are seeded in the 6-10 group.
oh yeah sorry, thats what I meant! (6-10 being gr/p, t/v, r/a, l/b, taschlers or c/p) I think C/P could beat the Taschlers but I do think that they get stronger over a season and Zanni seems to have some voodoo magic over the judges just now so I have my concerns!

Karen-W

oh yeah sorry, thats what I meant! (6-10 being gr/p, t/v, r/a, l/b, taschlers or c/p) I think C/P could beat the Taschlers but I do think that they get stronger over a season and Zanni seems to have some voodoo magic over the judges just now so I have my concerns!
Zanni's magic is not as powerful as Marie-Universe's though. Plus, I just noticed on IG this morning that Natalie made a post about getting back on the ice. Not sure what was up with her, but it seems there must have been some minor injury that kept her off the ice a few weeks. That could impact their preparedness for Worlds.

Karen-W

So, it would seem the first ice dance "Wednesday" program is coming from our beloved CarPon. Not sure how I feel about this...

Sylvia

TBD
Christina & Anthony are featured in the latest This Week in Skating podcast :) (45 mins.):
In Episode #61, we are joined by 2023 U.S. bronze medalists Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko to discuss his injury, this season and the future, including preparations for the upcoming World Championships.

Rukia

Christina & Anthony are featured in the latest This Week in Skating podcast :) (45 mins.):
Thanks for this! I am so hyped for their first worlds to be in Japan even if I'm simultaneously so nervous for them.

Anthony truly had to work back from basically the beginning. I really am so proud of how far they have come this season.

skatfan

Lovely interview with this team on this week in skating podcast. Lots of interesting details about his surgery, their comeback, and the IAM team in Ontario. It feels like they connect with Adrian and Madison more than Scott. Just my impression!

Rukia

Lovely interview with this team on this week in skating podcast. Lots of interesting details about his surgery, their comeback, and the IAM team in Ontario. It feels like they connect with Adrian and Madison more than Scott. Just my impression!
Oh this reminded me of a couple other things I wanted to mention about the podcast. First, it made me laugh that Anthony was ready to give Christina basically all the credit for their improvement this year while she was quick to assure everyone he was underselling himself. I also liked that Anthony took the time to recognize Christina's efforts in driving back and forth (including an international border crossing) every day. And Christina confirmed she has her green card and is on schedule to have her citizenship before 2026.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information