Carreira/Ponomarenko Need a Cheer Thread

litenkyckling

Yeah I think they should be higher. Also giving them pcs behind a team with a fall is a choice I guess but whatever.

Anyway here's a vid

USFS wouldn't give them that kind of backing if they made mistakes like that - with level 1 footwork no less. In fact - they definitely wouldn't as we saw last season.

I know Nationals wasn't great - but that Worlds decision was perhaps a bit premature?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I know Nationals wasn't great - but that Worlds decision was perhaps a bit premature?
Ehhhhhh... Maybe? Hard to say, but, for some reason, GreenP just didn't look comfortable at all in the RD today. I'd like to think it will be fine for Worlds, because we'll have HawBak back, and even if they aren't able to make it after all, that just gives CarPon another chance to beat GreenP and set them up nicely for next season.

litenkyckling

Ehhhhhh... Maybe? Hard to say, but, for some reason, GreenP just didn't look comfortable at all in the RD today. I'd like to think it will be fine for Worlds, because we'll have HawBak back, and even if they aren't able to make it after all, that just gives CarPon another chance to beat GreenP and set them up nicely for next season.
yeah even their lift looked pretty shaky to me

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I'm wondering if the elevation is an issue? Christina and Anthony have been in Colorado Springs since right after nats judging from their posts. Idk if Green/Parsons has? But also I think cpom maybe had slightly less pressure here???

Anyway they got a nice post from NBC Olympics too for what that's worth.

chameleonster

I'm wondering if the elevation is an issue? Christina and Anthony have been in Colorado Springs since right after nats judging from their posts. Idk if Green/Parsons has? But also I think cpom maybe had slightly less pressure here???

Anyway they got a nice post from NBC Olympics too for what that's worth.

USFS rented out the rink so all the US skaters have been here for the past week. The altitude is still rough regardless, but maybe it was the nerves of skating last.

I think the World spot decision was absolutely fair to make right away-G/Pa have had much better results the past two seasons, reigning 4CC champs and got a GP medal this season where C/P did not, and the nine point separation drove it home. I doubt they're going to change the World team, but it'll be great for C/P if they can beat G/Pa in the FD too and then get back to work with their longer offseason so Anthony can have a transformative offseason too.

I'm really proud of how well they skated here! Anthony brought his twizzles, good performance and levels. After the nailbiter that was Nationals they came back and showed everyone what they can do. They've also moved from being a full six points behind LaLa at Sheffield in the RD to just two. That's GREAT for them. Give me a strong skate in the FD(and with a strong combo lift with no shaking OR deduction) and I'll end this season feeling perfectly satisfied.

chameleonster

Not ideal scorewise, but honestly after tbe disaster that was the RD and the men and pairs yesterday I was honestly just praying for them to go clean without errors. I think they were lowballed, but the US judge actually had them tied with G/Pa. All in all a solid competitiom and a big improvement from nationals! Anthony has been improving steadily for me, and I can't wait to see his progress with a full offseason. Unfortunately I think there is a...nonzero possibility they will have to step up as alternates for worlds, but regardless of whether their season is over, I am very proud of their progress and confident about their future development.

Rukia

Yeah, I was about to come say the same thing about the US judge. They basically had them tied, which I found very interesting indeed. And the Japanese judge actually had them ahead of Green/Parsons in the free. Anyway I hope they are still working hard because idk, they may be used for worlds.

Either way they have just had a massively great season compared to last. Definitely much closer to where they should be.

Also I found it hilarious that someone in the pbp thread was asking if they even like each other as right as they show him kissing her hand before they go out to skate haha. I think they'll be just fine.

litenkyckling

I do think they were underscored here - but beating Gr/P for the first time since 2020 must feel good!

I think Anthony’s performance quality since Christmas has improved a lot - he seems more comfortable and confident which is great. His performance ability as a junior is partly why they were so compelling then. I also think his turns in the rotational lift looked so much more quick and sure.

I think that they do have good chemistry - find it odd when people say they have none? The way I see it - of the younger teams that they kind of sit with (LaLa, Gr/P, K/R, L/B etc) they have the most potential to sell “romantic” programmes. I think their natural chemistry - when honed - lends itself well to that. Therefore - I’d love to see them work on that element and bring more of that next season as it could help them stand out. I hate to say it but without H/D and S/B and with F-B/S nearing likely retirement we don’t really have any teams that fill the sultry, sexy, romantic gap and so with the coaches they have on hand I think they could work to fill that gap. Just my opinion though as I know a lot of people tend to not love those types of programmes!

Rukia

After I saw a program to the Cyrano soundtrack I think they could really kill something like Every Letter (and I guess something else because 2 rhythms blah), and it could be a good bridge between a style they are comfortable with and something a little more sultry.

Anyway someone @ them I have good ideas haha.

chameleonster

I think they've always had chemistry, but their connection degraded somewhat when they were really struggling with injuries and mistakes, along with some of their performance quality, specifically Anthony's. It's hard to perform well and relate to your partner when you're stressed and anxious and in pain. Christina has had a massive glowup over the offseason, but you can really just see how much Anthony's confidence and joy is improving from competition to competition. He really came alive for me this weekend, and I thought their chemistry went up a notch with it. Everything is right back on track with them- their programs, their skating, Anthony's rotations haven't looked this good in ages, finally stopped getting lift deductions, their consistency. They skated two clean strong performances at altitude and beat G/Pa! That has to be a great confidence booster for whenever we see them next. I'm sure the IAM coaches are all in contact, so C/P will know what they need to be doing.

In terms of sexy, sultry programs, I've always thought that Christina might make a good Bond girl, that would be a pretty smooth next step for them.

chameleonster

I've been thinking about their FD, and in the event that they go to worlds I think I would like them to break up the combo lift. Yes they're no longer getting lift deductions, but their FD scores haven't been quite as competitive as their RD scores, and I wonder if it might be because of the more sedate ending. The straightline lift into the choreo jumps and ending with the rotational might be better. Of course this all depends on whether they're even at worlds at all, and if so might not want to mess with the composition of their programs at this point in the season. Regardless of what happens I'm very proud of them this season!

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
I loved their performances and programs this season. I think they are right where they need to be and have the vision they want for the future. 3 more years until the Olympics and who knows what will happen with C/B and H/B, if they will be still be around then competitively. Personally, I am ready for the next gen of US Ice Dance, we have so many great teams ready to shine. I would love to see Anthony and Christina rise to the top, to me they are everything I love about ice dance. They are a stunning team to watch and I think their connection is just fine. Looking forward to all they have to show us!

litenkyckling

They might want to go down a totally different route next season but I think an interesting choice could be the Babylon soundtrack - it’s got that glamorous, Hollywood feel that I think suits where Christina and Anthony are at just now. It’s upbeat in places, darker in others, sometimes slow and smooth, always danceable.

ccpompom

I think it'll make a brilliant program! Babylon's soundtrack is so much more upbeat than Summertime and it would showcase their improvements on power and speed that they're looking to achieve in the off-season. Can someone send them a DM? I'm sure they're figuring out their options for next season atp

litenkyckling

I think it'll make a brilliant program! Babylon's soundtrack is so much more upbeat than Summertime and it would showcase their improvements on power and speed that they're looking to achieve in the off-season. Can someone send them a DM? I'm sure they're figuring out their options for next season atp
Haha I do always wonder - do you think people DM skaters ideas?

I think the styling of a Babylon programme could be great also - an ISU approved version of Margot Robbie’s red dress, hair with curls and a deep side parting and red lip. Anthony in a good suit (enjoyed Ivan Bukin’s MR one, Scott’s Dream A Little Dream suit no jacket).

Last edited:

ccpompom

There's definitely people dming skaters their programs ideas.
Christina and Anthony are both lovely people I'm sure they'll take your idea into consideration.
It'd be a pretty good step if they want to move forward and show power and speed without losing the glamorous and sultry vibe they had going on this year.
I was thinking bond could be a great fit but it has been done and done good in the past.

~tapdancer~

Based on their scores this season, I would say the glamorous sultry vibe is working for them and I would love to see them explore it more. So many possibilities.

And it probably was a coincidence, but back around 2008-2009, I said in the D/W thread that I would love to see them skate to Samson and Delilah, and boom, it happened!

~tapdancer~

And since we were discussing Astaire earlier, there are many, many songs from his movies they could explore. Two that come to my mind are "Night and Day" and "The Way You Look Tonight". Swoon-worthy.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I think it's becoming more and more likely that they will be making their worlds debut this season, I'm glad it will be with good material and a good team on their side.
Who knows? HawBak are never ones for posting much on their social media when they're in Montreal and busy with training. I know Jean-Luc was back up there last week because he was hanging out in the evening with Saul Ambrulevicius and posted some stuff from that on his IG.

chameleonster

Who knows? HawBak are never ones for posting much on their social media when they're in Montreal and busy with training. I know Jean-Luc was back up there last week because he was hanging out in the evening with Saul Ambrulevicius and posted some stuff from that on his IG.
I think those might have been old because Camden's IG says he, Jean-Luc, and Nathan are still at Yale? But the real thing people are talking about is that Dave Lease posted on Patreon that H/B aren't going to Worlds. Though obviously we should always take everything from TSL with a pound of salt.

EDIT: The photos JLB posted were from January before H/B withdrew from Nationals.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information