Candy You Detest

quartz

scratching at the light
😭 Henri Nestlé is rolling over in his grave. Nestlé is one of the biggest agri-food company in the world but it's very Swiss 😉

I'm not into candy at all, I'm not even that fond of chocolate (except in cakes). The only candy I'd kill for is Reese's big cups. I can find them in France now but for a looooong time I had to order it from the US and it costed me an eye and an arm and a leg and half a kidney. The shipping was actually much more expensive than the stuff itself but I just could not resist...
Well the stuff he makes in NA is oily, slimy, and overly sugar-ey. :p

personwhoishere

Do people actually eat Peeps? Because they totally look like a decorative item and not something meant for consumption. 🐤 🐤 🐤
My dad, who has the most massive sweet tooth and will eat any candy except coconut, will consume a package of peeps in one sitting. He's about to be 65 and still in pretty great shape. Go figure.

Lacey

Chocolate is one of my main food groups--don't even forego it for a major diet, just sin sin sin and cheat cheat cheat.

Since being recently diagnosed as lactose intolerant, I have been trying to decode what chocolate is used in combination with milk in CANDY. I had always heard that regular chocolate contains milk but dark chocolate does not. So Reeses are out. But, for instance, are dark chocolate Milky Ways (I think they're new) ok? Another example would be Junior Mints, that's not milk inside, right?

I can eat candy with neither type of chocolate, but real candy always has chocolate in my mind.

Those of you who are able to pop in a LactAid when eating milk are way ahead of me. I hate taking drugs of any kind. I'd rather just avoid the pain. And pout.

If anyone can help me create a list of non milk containing chocolate candies and also of candy without milk in the stuffing that would be great. I am waking up with nightmares dreaming of finding passable non milk chocolates.

Last edited:

Japanfan

Hate the big mass produced North American chocolate - Hershey, Nestle, etc....waay to sweet, slimy, oil consistency like it's a petroleum by-product.

I don't notice it most of the time - not that I eat much chocolate.

But after eating high quality or gourmet chocolate, the cheap, mass produced quality is glaringly evident.

Cachoo

I don't notice it most of the time - not that I eat much chocolate.

But after eating high quality or gourmet chocolate, the cheap, mass produced quality is glaringly evident.
I agree but I do give Hersheys credit for their extra creamy line that comes in the form of foil wrapped bells at Christmas, hearts for Valentine's Day and eggs for Easter. Sometimes I can find the "extra creamy" tag.

I like coconut milk and fresh coconut slices but the flakes in anything chocolate is off putting.

moebius

All of them, except for dark chocolate and good quality milk chocolate that is not sugary.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I’ve never had to give out so many 😢 reactions in one thread. :lol:

Sugar is my weakness and I like all the candy, especially the low-class shit you find at the dollar store like those chewy strawberry candies in the strawberry wrapper. :swoon: Air Heads and black licorice are also high on my list.

Detest is such a strong word, but I don’t like candy corn, Sweet Tarts, or anything else sour.

Moto Guzzi

I hate anything with coconut, particularly Mounds and Almond Joy. The coconut looks like nasty little maggots and the smell of it makes me want to hurl.

I used to like chocolate, licorice—actually most candy but, after I was so sick last year with my digestive disease, most sugary things have an off-taste now. I tried some Reece’s Cups last month and couldn’t eat them because they no longer taste good to me. I ate a sample of a creamy chocolate at the airport in Venice that actually tasted good but a small box was €27 so I didn’t buy any.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Since being recently diagnosed as lactose intolerant, I have been trying to decode what chocolate is used in combination with milk in CANDY. I had always heard that regular chocolate contains milk but dark chocolate does not. So Reeses are out. But, for instance, are dark chocolate Milky Ways (I think they're new) ok? Another example would be Junior Mints, that's not milk inside, right?
The ingredient list will list milk if there is some in there.

Those of you who are able to pop in a LactAid when eating milk are way ahead of me. I hate taking drugs of any kind. I'd rather just avoid the pain. And pout.
LactAid doesn't meet my definition of a drug. It's an enzyme most of us make naturally that digests lactose. So it's like taking Vitamin D if you are low in it. A supplement, not a drug.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Plain chocolate, whether it is milk or dark, is vile to me. If it's mixed with some other flavor, ok.

mjb52

That was one of my favs as a child. Now it pulls my fillings out. :yikes: My absolute favorite candy is imported dark chocolate with orange flavor.

ohhhh you've reminded me of the cadbury cream eggs that had orange flavored fillings. I was obsessed with those. Really tragic that they appear to have stopped making them (BRING THEM BACK!).

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
Ohhh, I told you I would remember others. Creme filled anything.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
It's the red (cherry) licorice that I don't like. I love the black licorice and jelly beans. I also burned out on sweet tarts and jaw breakers a very long time ago. I can't resist biting hard candy. It's almost impossible not to. I never could count how many licks to the center of a Tootsie Pop.

Hard candy ended for me in my twenties when I actually broke a jaw tooth on a jaw breaker. My dentist was able to save the tooth, and I learned a very valuable lesson … don't always bite everything (like Jaw breakers) that you put into your mouth. :yikes::shuffle:

A couple of trips to Belgium effectively spoiled chocolate for me. I’m can take or leave most candy. I do love nibs though. And butter rum lifesavers. The only thing I really detest is sour candy. Eating candy shouldn’t be uncomfortable. I don’t get sour candy as a concept.

Lilia A

Licorice, I don’t get the appeal at all. Same for Twizzlers which taste like wax.
Mint chocolate - blergh! It tastes like chocolate toothpaste.
Anything with raisins - why ruin candy with raisins?

This. All of this. Are we twins? :lol:

Licorice is just gross, I'm sorry.
I love mint. I love chocolate. I hate them together.
No raisins, thank you. Not in cookies, not in candy, not in anything.

My fave, I love Reese's peanut butter cups. I can only buy one at a time. Buy me those large bags filled with minis and it's be gone in two days.

hanca

Values her privacy
I have never hated any sweets. Until i tasted the Swedish (or was it Finnish) licorice that has the aftertaste of urine. That was seriously awful. Until then, I didn’t mind licorice, but our one doesn’t taste like if one is licking the toilet.

Josh78

Circus peanuts (just don't get the point)
Anything super sour (there's a line where it goes from pleasurable to just annoying)
Fireball jawbreakers (Just don't like jawbreakers in general, but the fireball ones are an extra exercise in hell, as my mouth is still tingling hours later and I still can't taste anything else)

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
It's the red (cherry) licorice that I don't like. I love the black licorice and jelly beans. I also burned out on sweet tarts and jaw breakers a very long time ago. I can't resist biting hard candy. It's almost impossible not to. I never could count how many licks to the center of a Tootsie Pop.

Hard candy ended for me in my twenties when I actually broke a jaw tooth on a jaw breaker. My dentist was able to save the tooth, and I learned a very valuable lesson … don't always bite everything (like Jaw breakers) that you put into your mouth. :yikes::shuffle:

Ummm - I would say that you said a mouthful, but...

Japanfan

The only thing I really detest is sour candy. Eating candy shouldn’t be uncomfortable. I don’t get sour candy as a concept.

Some people like the sour flavor. I adore sour lemon drops. Unfortunately I can't find the kind I like anywhere.

altai_rose

I like gummy candy and sour candy. Can't stand American chocolate candy except for Snickers and Reese's peanut butter cups.

Cachoo

I hated malted milk balls---Whoppers as a kid. I don't hate them now but never buy them. Too chalky...
Years ago a Nigerian man told me that he hated popcorn because "it is like trying to eat air. "
I've never liked peppermints. Aggressive flavor....

puglover

I am with you on the American chocolate - especially Hersey's which I can't stand but I am in general a chocolate lover. I do love English candy in general and prefer their Jelly Babies over any kind of gummy anything here in N.A.

gkelly

What about Ghirardelli?
They tend not to be as mass marketed as Hershey, but would you consider it a higher quality American chocolate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information