Canadian Pairs 2019/2020 Season News and Updates

Jislav

Hudon and Levesque are done. She will go back to Nova Scotia for her studies. He is unsure if he will continue competing with another partner.

Xsktrx

Hudon and Levesque are done. She will go back to Nova Scotia for her studies. He is unsure if he will continue competing with another partner.
I hope he continues and can find a partner. He was always one of my favorite pairs skaters and I loved his lifting ability. He is another skater who I felt had not found the correct partner to allow him to show his full potential. McIntosh and Mimar were two others in the same situation before they paired up. We have a few more pairs where one partner may have more to show but is limited by the pairing. But that’s the Canadian system. I suppose in sone countries the governing body would step in and re-align the partners to make the strongest pairings possible. Or maybe I am dreaming.

Rafter

Someone’s not a fan of McIntosh it would seem. I agree there is always room for improvement in this area but there has been considerable improvement the last couple of years as she has matured. I believe similar things were said about Meaghan when she and Eric paired up but they made it work. Given Brooke and Brandon were the top Novice Canadian pair and top 2 each of the last 2 seasons in Jr where other pairs had better jumps (Brandon’s limitation) and lifts and the fact that the PC mark was competitive with our other Jr pairs I would suggest the judges don’t quite see Brooke’s skating skills as bad as you seem to think they are. We will certainly have this question answered this season and hopefully we have another good pair to represent Canada this year.

Quite the opposite actually. I do like McIntosh, I admire her talent/skills, fearlessness, work ethic. All I’m saying is I hope Evans ALSO concentrates on things that will help their PCS with international judges. The tricks are great but you need the other too.

Sedge

Would Matthew Markell switch over to pairs?
They are from the same area of Ontario, I think.

He had a good result at Canadians, though, so maybe not.

Xsktrx

Quite the opposite actually. I do like McIntosh, I admire her talent/skills, fearlessness, work ethic. All I’m saying is I hope Evans ALSO concentrates on things that will help their PCS with international judges. The tricks are great but you need the other too.
I stand corrected and do agree with your point that focus on the second mark is important not only for McIntosh but for all our young pairs. My point is that I would rather a pair need work on the second mark than be lovely skaters without the tricks. If you look at this year’s crop of Jr Pairs several were nicely polished with good expression but when your best jump is a double axel and maybe one throw triple particularly if one has been doing pairs for several years it doesn't stand up against the top Jr pairs in the world. We saw that at Jr Worlds this year. Top 7 or 8 pairs (freeskate) all attempted two triple throws and a triple jump or triple/double combo with a double axel as the second jump. Our pairs each had a double throw in their free programs and double axel was their hardest jump. It’s spotting the competition quite a few points. However both Canadian pairs had nice skating and presentation.

Vase

Busy work week, I just watched the pairs event. Good job by both teams. I’m sure with Zac’s illness setting them back a bit, but came out strong enough in the long to keep the two spots. I thought all season that their pair spin was amazing, I’m sure we’ll see some teams looking to use those arm movements hitting the music this season.
But as for skating skill and elements, it’s always been a debate its personal opinion, and all the Junior pair girls have time to develop in all areas. Best of luck to next season teams. The question is will there be more breakups.

shutterbug

For anyone who doesn't have Instagram, some kind soul grabbed the latest video clips of McIntosh/Mimar: https://twitter.com/QuadAxel3Toe/status/1236166920732323840?s=20

Purkiss' teams typically have programs that lean toward "pretty", so there may be some improvement now that she and Evans appear to be working together. It's odd, in Brooke's singles programs she shows a fair bit of personality. I'll be curious to see how she presents now that she has an older (and likely stronger) partner.

Xsktrx

For anyone who doesn't have Instagram, some kind soul grabbed the latest video clips of McIntosh/Mimar: https://twitter.com/QuadAxel3Toe/status/1236166920732323840?s=20

Purkiss' teams typically have programs that lean toward "pretty", so there may be some improvement now that she and Evans appear to be working together. It's odd, in Brooke's singles programs she shows a fair bit of personality. I'll be curious to see how she presents now that she has an older (and likely stronger) partner.
[/
Good point. I will be interested to see how Purkiss and Evans collaboration as coaches work out again this year. Certainly whatever it was each brought to the table as coaches last year seemed to produce some positive results.

aftershocks

Banned Member
They're the last two videos on his Instagram.

The last two videos here are of singles skaters. The other earlier videos of Brooke and Ben were already posted and discussed earlier.

Okay, great and thanks. These videos I do not see up on Evans' Instagram for whatever reason. Unless he posted them as Instastories... Or unless one has to sign into Instagram to see them.

Last edited:

Xsktrx

Yes, they were Instagram Stories — just like the other most recent clips.
If my memory serves me correctly, we have seen a nice twist, side by side triples and a throw triple loop. Not sure if it was posted but I heard they can land a triple double combo and we know Brooke can land throw triple sal and toe as per YOG. No reason not to believe the throw triple lutz will be in the repertoire by the end of the season which means assuming they have good lifts which is likely, if as you so correctly point out they can actually and reliably deliver these elements in competition this could be just the partnership each needed to move to the next level. Time will tell.

Sk8mom123

I like him. He’s very strong with lifts, can jump and I hope he finds a suitable partner to continue with.

Sk8mom123

I stand corrected and do agree with your point that focus on the second mark is important not only for McIntosh but for all our young pairs. My point is that I would rather a pair need work on the second mark than be lovely skaters without the tricks. If you look at this year’s crop of Jr Pairs several were nicely polished with good expression but when your best jump is a double axel and maybe one throw triple particularly if one has been doing pairs for several years it doesn't stand up against the top Jr pairs in the world. We saw that at Jr Worlds this year. Top 7 or 8 pairs (freeskate) all attempted two triple throws and a triple jump or triple/double combo with a double axel as the second jump. Our pairs each had a double throw in their free programs and double axel was their hardest jump. It’s spotting the competition quite a few points. However both Canadian pairs had nice skating and presentation.

I agree I wonder if we will see any other splits. It’s hard to find partners that match with presentation and skill.

Sk8mom123

Would Matthew Markell switch over to pairs?
They are from the same area of Ontario, I think.

He had a good result at Canadians, though, so maybe not.
That would be interesting....would be nice to see her with someone with experience :)

Catherine M

Hudon has been on my radar for a long time so hopefully he can find someone suitable to continue on. It would be a shame to loose both him and Ostiguy.

Not sure if Choinard & Hudon would work size wise since her growth spurt but at least I hope they have at least talked to one another about a tryout, if she's still looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information