Canadian Pairs 2019/2020 Season News and Updates

Xsktrx

Was that a throw triple loop? If so that’s something I don’t believe Brooke was doing last year so a new element which is great. Also I assume Brooke and Ben will have a triple double jump combo which will be another upgrade from last year. I am looking forward watching Brooke and Ben this year with some new elements.
Can you post or repost the link? I can’t seem to see it or get it to attach here. Thanks.

Aaron MB Fan

Wow, it is still so early on, and I don't want to jinx it, but Ben & Brooke look amazing already! Dare I think that Canada might finally have another Junior Pairs team who could have a good chance at making the JGPF next year? Charlie and Julianne were the last team to qualify I believe. :rollin:

Xsktrx

Wow, it is still so early on, and I don't want to jinx it, but Ben & Brooke look amazing already! Dare I think that Canada might finally have another Junior Pairs team who could have a good chance at making the JGPF next year? Charlie and Julianne were the last team to qualify I believe. :rollin:
From what I have seen so far it will depend on how they come along timing wise and how they score in the program components section. I completely agree that so far the twist and throws and presumably the jumps will be strong and their body types and look is well matched which looks very very promising. Hopefully they will master that new pair timing aspect quickly and we will see some exciting stuff this year.

Erin

Banned Member
I’m excited about a new young team too, but probably not going to hold my breath on the JGPF just yet. PCS will obviously be very important. That was an area that held back McIntosh and Toste a bit, and I thought he was stronger than her, as she sometimes appeared to be really focused on elements and less on performing. But I am pleased to see McIntosh and Mimar coming together so quickly.

Last edited:

Xsktrx

I agree. Although I think I would rather a pair at this stage need work on the second mark than still be trying to land jumps and throws with any consistency. We have had several jr pairs over the last few years where the male was older and could land the jumps, had power for lifts and speed etc. but the girl, while having good presentation and skating was lovely couldn’t do more than a double jump or sometimes a double axel and throw triples were rare. Sometimes those harder elements just never come while much can be done to improve the second mark if the bigger tricks are there. Just my unprofessional opinion of course.

Canada33

I’m excited about a new young team too, but probably not going to hold my breath on the JGPF just yet. PCS will obviously be very important and that was an area that held back McIntosh and Toste a bit, and I thought he was stronger than her, as she sometimes appeared to be really focused on elements and less on performing. But I am pleased to see McIntosh and Mimar coming together so quickly.
I agree not holding my breath on any of the Cdn junior pairs heading to JGPF and that T/M strength was technical and lots of work was needed to improve presentation but their second mark dom/int’l was still amongst highest top Canadian junior pairs, so maybe an area of opportunity for many of the junior can pairs to improve? I wonder if SC helps guide these pairs in this respect as not just dance teams that need this connection? The flipside is a great connection without the ability to do the big elements can be a very frustrating and limited path. A while back on this thread someone posted T/M YOG FS and seemed almost like a breakthrough showing way more of a connection and both T/M smiling on lifts and out of throws and overall just feeling music but then team ended! Then I watch the top Russian pair teams there is not a lot of big facial expressions by the girls in and out of the tough elements but WOW can they do them in a big way! Everyone is so waiting for a can junior team that has the ability to manage nerves at the international level with +GOE’s on big elements (5 triples in program), impressive PCS and connection = the complete package.

Rafter

Hey, if they could figure out how to make Zachary Lagha emote, I'm sure they can do it with Brooke.

Its more than just emoting with McIntosh though. She and Toste needed a lot of work on edge quality, stroking, stretch/extension/line. I also thought her posture through the shoulders needed work. Hope Evans will work on these things with her and Mimar.

Xsktrx

Its more than just emoting with McIntosh though. She and Toste needed a lot of work on edge quality, stroking, stretch/extension/line. I also thought her posture through the shoulders needed work. Hope Evans will work on these things with her and Mimar.
Someone’s not a fan of McIntosh it would seem. I agree there is always room for improvement in this area but there has been considerable improvement the last couple of years as she has matured. I believe similar things were said about Meaghan when she and Eric paired up but they made it work. Given Brooke and Brandon were the top Novice Canadian pair and top 2 each of the last 2 seasons in Jr where other pairs had better jumps (Brandon’s limitation) and lifts and the fact that the PC mark was competitive with our other Jr pairs I would suggest the judges don’t quite see Brooke’s skating skills as bad as you seem to think they are. We will certainly have this question answered this season and hopefully we have another good pair to represent Canada this year.

Canada33

This sparked curiosity so looked up Cdn Junior Pair PCS’s for FS and T/M had the highest in Canada by a smidge and highest ISU by a long shot (which was higher than their best Cdn PCS). Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the only ones that really matter are the judges. Always lots of general and specifics to work on and opportunities for further improvement but seems they were on track.

Xsktrx

This sparked curiosity so looked up Cdn Junior Pair PCS’s for FS and T/M had the highest in Canada by a smidge and highest ISU by a long shot (which was higher than their best Cdn PCS). Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the only ones that really matter are the judges. Always lots of general and specifics to work on and opportunities for further improvement but seems they were on track.
Agree. Thanks for checking that.

Vase

Mcintosh is still young, for sure she has the jumps. Last season they peaked as a team at the end, just where skaters like to. Her body has yet to develop, and she has long legs. Growth is my concern, maybe more then component score. Look at Gogolev during his growing year, not throwing the big tricks but still improving.
I think Junior Pairs will be like Junior/Senior Ladies, outta nowhere they will come.
Though we will all have our favourites @XSTRX you seem to have some insight on Mcintosh and not a big fan of the other junior pair girls, they are pretty much all still in childhood years. Let’s give them all a chance to grow, MTM are in their 6th season together, aren’t they? It’s a marathon not a sprint.

Xsktrx

Mcintosh is still young, for sure she has the jumps. Last season they peaked as a team at the end, just where skaters like to. Her body has yet to develop, and she has long legs. Growth is my concern, maybe more then component score. Look at Gogolev during his growing year, not throwing the big tricks but still improving.
I think Junior Pairs will be like Junior/Senior Ladies, outta nowhere they will come.
Though we will all have our favourites @XSTRX you seem to have some insight on Mcintosh and not a big fan of the other junior pair girls, they are pretty much all still in childhood years. Let’s give them all a chance to grow, MTM are in their 6th season together, aren’t they? It’s a marathon not a sprint.
Re McIntosh I have no insight at all. I am of the opinion that by the time a girl is 15 who has been skating for years that in most cases if she’s not got her triple jumps and double axel with good consistency, the odd bad skate aside then it’s likely to be a challenge always. Same for throw triples unless someone is new to pairs. Chloe Chouinard I believe has both, and Audrey Carle has the jumps and I think she’s around 13. Throws are new to her and likely she will get them. But several of the other pairs girls after several years trying still can’t land throws and/or jumps with any consistency and I’m not sure they ever will. Some of our senior pairs women still under rotate their jumps and they are 18-20 or older. I hope I’m wrong but I’m doubtful anyone has confidence that Luba will start landing her jumps with consistency. Even our Jr Champs Patricia and Zach she fell 3 times on her way to victory. My point about McIntosh is right now she at the age of 15 can land the jumps and throws. Working on the second mark is something that can come whereas the inability to land jumps and throws is very limiting. I agree it’s a marathon and growth as they mature can reduce partner prospects. We will see if Brooke’s growth that you seem focused on will present a problem going forward or whether Ben’s height will be more than enough.

Vase

Exactly the point, there are other pair girls with elements and talent, and yet you mainly only speak of Brooke. I recall patricia in the kiss and cry at Nationals saying ‘how’ to her coach after the score in the short was read, and in the free skate she barely cracked a smile after seeing she won with a Canadian record, she seems to know what she’s looking to do and maybe didn’t prove it to herself at Nationals, yet not afraid to question herself openly.
Look at Emy, she was maybe the youngest skated clean with some broken bones and teeth, Canada has some amazing young talent, let’s support them all.
Not hear to argue my points or pick at comments about children who spend their very young life trying their best. Maybe it’s the coaches training or not training comparable hours.
I’ve said it before all these athletes deserve to ‘reach their potential’

Canada33

The fact is many on this thread have favourites and everyone entitled to opinion. To me it is very obvious you have a lot of insight and favour Andrews. I respect everyone has favourites. But please stop trying to pretend to be an expert predicting these teenage pair girls’ growth/body development, it is at an uncomfy level in the majority of your posts. Take your advice at end of your recent post and give them all a chance to grow and focus on the pool of talent in the junior pairs and exciting year ahead!

Vase

Uncomfy level?! Let me apologize for anyone I have made uncomfortable. Was not intending to offend and bring this to a whole discussion to a new weird level. A Pair girls size is always a subject, just as jump ability, performance, connection and partnership compatibility.
I’m always the first to say Canada has a very bright future in Pairs. Andrew has a spark in her skating, but needs the consistency she has shown in the previous seasons. Carle just landed a 3 Sal Throw, KellyAnn has showed a steady pace, the list goes on and I am looking forward to JW and SW, weather athletes have good or bad skates they will have my support.

Xsktrx

The fact is many on this thread have favourites and everyone entitled to opinion. To me it is very obvious you have a lot of insight and favour Andrews. I respect everyone has favourites. But please stop trying to pretend to be an expert predicting these teenage pair girls’ growth/body development, it is at an uncomfy level in the majority of your posts. Take your advice at end of your recent post and give them all a chance to grow and focus on the pool of talent in the junior pairs and exciting year ahead!
Well stated. Thanks.

Canada33

Uncomfy level?! Let me apologize for anyone I have made uncomfortable. Was not intending to offend and bring this to a whole discussion to a new weird level. A Pair girls size is always a subject, just as jump ability, performance, connection and partnership compatibility.
I’m always the first to say Canada has a very bright future in Pairs. Andrew has a spark in her skating, but needs the consistency she has shown in the previous seasons. Carle just landed a 3 Sal Throw, KellyAnn has showed a steady pace, the list goes on and I am looking forward to JW and SW, weather athletes have good or bad skates they will have my support.
You have said lots of positive things and also said numerous negative comments. You are not alone and these boards seem to thrive on both. I agree size for both pair boys and girls is a current factor especially when putting teams together, but for the girls only you have posted several times about predicting size on length of limbs, size of parents, body “not developed” (weird..), girl like face, etc etc. None of us are experts and please respect these teenage girls who are working their butts off with where they are today and where any of them end up on the size scale is yet to be determined.

shutterbug

Andrew Evans posted a couple of slo-mo videos of McIntosh/Mimar's 3twist and throw 3sal on his Insta story earlier today. :eek: Really, really big. Those two are going have the tricks for sure. :cheer2:

Colonel Green

Andrew Evans posted a couple of slo-mo videos of McIntosh/Mimar's 3twist and throw 3sal on his Insta story earlier today. :eek: Really, really big. Those two are going have the tricks for sure. :cheer2:
I'm encouraged by how things seem to be coming together in training.

As Evans said, lots of work to get this sort of thing reliable for competition, but what we're seeing now with very little time together is extremely promising.

Xsktrx

Junior Worlds short scores are up. Laurin & Ethier in 12th with 47.77. Andrew & Daleman in 14th with 46.84. Both pairs fell on the throw. What placements do we need for 2 spots next year? Is it 13 & 14 or one top 10?

Catherine M

Junior Worlds short scores are up. Laurin & Ethier in 12th with 47.77. Andrew & Daleman in 14th with 46.84. Both pairs fell on the throw. What placements do we need for 2 spots next year? Is it 13 & 14 or one top 10?

28 or less points for two spots for 2021.

So the ONLY way Canada goes down to one is if the teams finish in this order:

16th and 15th
16th and 14th
16th and 13th
15th and 14th

Vase

Just watched the replay, good job by Laurin/Éthier, they’ve done pretty well stepping out on the circuit, I’m not they are happy for the first year of Juniors stepping out on the World ice. Amazing experience and hope they skate to their ability tomorrow.
Andrew/Daleman had their struggles, love her reactions at the end, very honest. She obviously can do the elements or those expressions wouldn’t be on her face, let’s hope next season they are consistent in competition.
Attended a pair seminar Recently and it was said Zac has been ill and they’ve missed a lot of training since Nationals, let’s hope the long goes better and Canada keeps two spots.
Like Ted said they have connection and musicality, and not often seen on the Junior level. But let’s hope the elements come together.

Xsktrx

First time I saw Laurin and Ethier I liked their skating. I see good future potential there if the throws come more consistently and they can do next level jumps. Their lifts and twists seem pretty effortless. They have had a good season for their first year of junior.

Xsktrx

Final Jr Worlds results - Andrew/Daleman 11th and Laurin/Ethier 14th. We have 2 spots for next year. I doubt either team would be thrilled with their scores vs what they are capable of but now both can focus on upping their difficulty levels for this coming season. Certainly a good experience for both pairs attending this event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information