Canadian Pairs 2019/2020 Season News and Updates

aftershocks

Banned Member
Okay, here is the trajectory of the initial KMT + Michaud fantasizing... :p

... I'm angling for KMT to stay in and we do MT/M 3.0 after this cycle...with Trennt.

I would uber Moore-Towers & Michaud.

They have to have a try-out first though. And I don't ever see that happening, ever. :( ;)

Cant see it happening either, Michaud seems pretty tight with his coach and it seems Kirsten likes to be in control. But if some junior teams keep progressing, they are a lot younger then MTM and then with I/B, something may have to happen. Next season could be exciting.

Regarding the bolded comment, you seem to mean that Michaud would never leave his coach, and that Kirsten somehow likes to run the show. I don't think the latter is necessarily the case, since Kirsten & Michael made the transition (with Meagan's blessings) to Gauthier/Marcotte and working with Julie Marcotte rather seamlessly (amidst a number of other pairs teams). I'm sure Kirsten had to temper any diva control tendencies in Montreal. In Hamilton, M-T/M are the veteran team, but teamwork is still important.

Vase

Aftershocks, Kirsten seems to take control of each interview and being that Mike left his long time coach and partner to skate with Kirsten, which then they decided they should maybe change coaches and head to Montreal with D/R. That the first part is what leads me to think she likes to be in control, and seeing most teams have a more dominate person, as I would assume Trennt is the one in his partnership with Ev, just an opinion.
Trennt’s coach attended the last assignment in Japan with MT/M so I’m sure they have some sort of positive relationship, but I don’t see her leaving Bruno, just as I don’t see her walking away from Mike knowing that they put in a lot of time to get to where they are.
Trennt and Evelyn train in Brantford with junior team A/D

RoseRed

Aftershocks, Kirsten seems to take control of each interview and being that Mike left his long time coach and partner to skate with Kirsten, which then they decided they should maybe change coaches and head to Montreal with D/R. That the first part is what leads me to think she likes to be in control, and seeing most teams have a more dominate person, as I would assume Trennt is the one in his partnership with Ev, just an opinion.
Trennt’s coach attended the last assignment in Japan with MT/M so I’m sure they have some sort of positive relationship, but I don’t see her leaving Bruno, just as I don’t see her walking away from Mike knowing that they put in a lot of time to get to where they are.
IIRC, Kirsten has said that she doesn't like to be the leader of the pair and that that was an issue for them early in the partnership. She was used to Dylan leading, and then since she had more experience than Michael she was doing it and it didn't work well for them. So he had to learn to take on more of that role. I don't remember the exact context they meant - maybe more on the ice than in interviews. I don't remember which interview it was though, so I might have a few details off.

clairecloutier

IIRC, Kirsten has said that she doesn't like to be the leader of the pair and that that was an issue for them early in the partnership. She was used to Dylan leading, and then since she had more experience than Michael she was doing it and it didn't work well for them. So he had to learn to take on more of that role. I don't remember the exact context they meant - maybe more on the ice than in interviews. I don't remember which interview it was though, so I might have a few details off.

Kirsten said this in an IceTalk interview with Jackie Wong. A year or so ago, maybe after Pyeongchang?

aftershocks

Banned Member

Not having direct access and knowledge to the inner workings of Kirsten's various training camps and interrelationships, I'm not really in a position to accurately judge your specific observations. From what I can see, looking from the outside in, I'd say that Kirsten has a very bubbly, seemingly Type A personality. She's about being gritty and going after what she wants. I don't know if that necessarily transfers to 'wanting to be in control' of coaching matters. Wanting to maintain control over career decisions is somewhat different than being able to patiently receive and apply coaching advice and guidance, and working collaboratively as a team.

I'm not sure anyone spoke of Kirsten leaving Bruno. It was just fanciful references to how good Trennt/Kirsten might be as a team. I guess you are indicating that Trennt would never leave his coach, nor would Kirsten leave either her coach or her current partner. Ultimately, all of this is moot because such a fanciful Trennt/Kirsten partnership is all in our heads, not in theirs. :p So blame @Rock2 for bringing it up. :lol: Granted that Rock2 was dreaming of Kirsten coming back after Beijing with Trennt, which gives the fantasy a different twist. :rollin:

aftershocks

Banned Member

Thanks so much for remembering this interview. I posted my above response to Vase prior to reading your helpful recollection. I definitely remember Kirsten's words now that you bring it up. Also, thanks to @clairecloutier for situating where the interview took place. :)

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Wow, I missed @Rock2's #565 and #566 posts. He should definitely write the book on Canadian pairs figure skating, or pairs in general. :fan21:

Rock2 has made some very interesting observations... :watch:

... This manifests itself in [Bardei] wanting to train like Aljona and [Justine's] better with a Knierim schedule, if you follow...
Wowza, the shade... :EVILLE: :eek:

ETA:
Aside from the shade, the insights into the Brasseur/Bardei partnership and training issues, plus the revelations surrounding Trennt's goals, and in general the impact bulking up may have on pairs guys' tech elements, are enlightening.

Last edited:

Vase

Wow, I missed @Rock2's #565 and #566 posts. He should definitely write the book on Canadian pairs figure skating, or pairs in general. :fan21:

Rock2 has made some very interesting observations... :watch:

Wowza, the shade... :EVILLE: :eek:

ETA:
Aside from the shade, the insights into the Brasseur/Bardei partnership and training issues, plus the revelations surrounding Trennt's goals, and in general the impact bulking up may have on pairs guys' tech elements, are enlightening.

Makes you wondering who Skate Canada is really looking at with long term potential. Any guesses?
Wishing Mike and Kirsten a great long program, wish they could redo the short.

yfbg722

Makes you wondering who Skate Canada is really looking at with long term potential. Any guesses?
I’m at work ah unable to watch. What happened?

Vase

I’m at work ah unable to watch. What happened?
Yes they skated well in the free, unfortunate fall by Michael.
But I was just referring to the earlier talk on this thread of B/B and W/M, theres MTM and I/B on the doing well on the Senior Circuit, but was just curious if we see pairs strengthening.

Janef

Bummer for Kirsten and Mike
So surprised to see those mistakes Kirsten rarely falls on throws and mike falling making a throw I've never seen that mistake in a competition before I thought they would be good in this comp as really nothing to lose

Janef

I don't think there is long term potential in pairs right now unless they import from Russia lol I think unless skate Canada can get some legit funding to develop potential it's going to be more of the same.is there money to be made doing shows etcthese days I have no idea otherwise how do amateurs pay the bills

aftershocks

Banned Member
Wow, bad luck for Kirsten & Michael at GPF. And sadly, such a bummer of an event in pairs. :( None looked like they were the best pairs teams in the world. :eek: And I will say that at least a handful of them actually aren't. For some reason, all the teams looked tired and not up for the challenge.

If not for that mistake on the throw and Michael's fallout on the sbs jump in the sp, K&M would have had at least a better shot for the podium skating in the final group. Peng/Jin backed into a medal here, cause they weren't good in the sp, and they were uninspired in the fp (despite having one of the best choreographed fps this season). P/J were eyeing 4th at worst or 3rd at best overall, yet they end up winning the fp over S/H. :duh:

K&M also have one of the best choreographed programs of the season, but having to skate first in the first group for the fp did them in. They needed to skate clean to have a chance with the judges, who are absolutely fickle when skaters aren't at their best. The fact that Michael fell on a throw jump was all kinds of WTF. I've never seen that before. Maybe it has happened, but I've never seen it. Guys often lean forward a lot on throws, but fall? Is that one for the record books? :COP:

Colonel Green

I don't think there is long term potential in pairs right now unless they import from Russia lol I think unless skate Canada can get some legit funding to develop potential it's going to be more of the same.
I'm not sure why "more of the same" means there's no long-term potential, since Canadian pairs have been doing pretty good this season.

Skate Talker

The fact that Michael fell on a throw jump was all kinds of WTF. I've never seen that before. Maybe it has happened, but I've never seen it. Guys often lean forward a lot on throws, but fall? Is that one for the record books? :COP:

Actually I have seen it before from a name you will recognize at a Grand Prix event - I think it was in Russia but not positive and unfortunately I don't have a video. Bruno Marcotte threw then partner Valerie Marcoux so hard that he splatted while she landed an absolute beaut. They and the audience all laughed and the two of them kept giggling for the rest of the skate - it was epic.

skatingguy

decently
The fact that Michael fell on a throw jump was all kinds of WTF. I've never seen that before. Maybe it has happened, but I've never seen it. Guys often lean forward a lot on throws, but fall? Is that one for the record books? :COP:
Actually I have seen it before from a name you will recognize. At a Grand Prix event - I think it was in Russia but not positive and unfortunately I don't have a video. Bruno Marcotte threw then partner Valerie Marcoux so hard that he splatted while she landed an absolute beaut. They and the audience all laughed and the two of them kept giggling for the rest of the skate - it was epic.
Volosozhar/Trankov 2013 World Championships Free Skate - Trankov tripped on his toe picks on the 2nd throw - it happens, not frequently, but it's hardly unheard of.

Janef

I'm not sure why "more of the same" means there's no long-term potential, since Canadian pairs have been doing pretty good this season.
Well to me more of the same could encompass a lot! But in general I mean mismatched pairs. OTher than kmt and now Luba Charle. I don’t see too much right now. The juniors out there at the top could beat out our CDn seniors. There aren’t any cdn juniors in pairs or dance final. Our seniors lack consistency which means why? I don’t know the reason for that. But I do know that when I watch any of them none of them are likely to put out a flawless performance. There is going to be a fall a botched this or that. I know that sounds mean! I don’t mean it that way but there is something missing in the training because when I watch a Russian team it feels like they will put out a strong performance most of the the time. Take what you will from tha th that. Purely observation.

Vase

Well to me more of the same could encompass a lot! But in general I mean mismatched pairs. OTher than kmt and now Luba Charle. I don’t see too much right now. The juniors out there at the top could beat out our CDn seniors. There aren’t any cdn juniors in pairs or dance final. Our seniors lack consistency which means why? I don’t know the reason for that. But I do know that when I watch any of them none of them are likely to put out a flawless performance. There is going to be a fall a botched this or that. I know that sounds mean! I don’t mean it that way but there is something missing in the training because when I watch a Russian team it feels like they will put out a strong performance most of the the time. Take what you will from tha th that. Purely observation.
I agree with this. And the top junior pairs girls are young, so will they have longevity in the discipline.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Actually I have seen it before from a name you will recognize at a Grand Prix event - I think it was in Russia but not positive and unfortunately I don't have a video. Bruno Marcotte threw then partner Valerie Marcoux so hard that he splatted while she landed an absolute beaut. They and the audience all laughed and the two of them kept giggling for the rest of the skate - it was epic.

Oh my word. Then Bruno can definitely relate to what happened to Michael in the fp at GPF. Thanks Skate Talker, and @skatingguy for your sharp recall re the rare and unusual occurrences of male pairs skaters falling on throws. :eek:

aftershocks

Banned Member

Please relax and think long term, instead of reacting with alarm to everything that happens five minutes ago at every event, which sadly most fans (including me on occasion) have a tendency to do. Can you imagine if athletes reacted the same way to their misfortunes. :drama: Even over-reacting to good fortune, is a no-no in the overall scheme of things.

ETA:
Check out the down-in-the-dumps comments after some of the U.S. skaters' travails on the GP. Most fans weren't even seemingly that happy about the very good results Denney/Frazier had at their GP events. And now, this week both Cain-Gribble/ LeDuc and Kayne/O'Shea had very good showings at Golden Spin, building toward U.S. Nationals.

We all know that Canadian fed is rebuilding in a number of disciplines post 2018 Olympics, including pairs. Still, along with the top, experienced pairings of M-T/M and I/B, Canadian fed has clearly been doing a good job of encouraging and supporting new partnerships. Plus, it takes time for new partnerships to achieve success. It's usually an up-and-down struggle.

Maybe sometimes it's a good idea to take a wellness retreat away from figure skating because it is a sport that is bound to break hearts over and over again. 💔 💞 Take some time out to think of the good times and the happy skating memories. And maybe develop the habit of enjoying where skaters are on their journeys, because perspective has shown more often than not that it's about the process and the moments along the way, more than it is about the destination. Case in point: battling to make the GPF may be more fun than actually qualifying to compete there, at least sometimes. :COP:

Last edited:

puglover

I think we are also looking at several very different systems on the way up. Even our newest darling KR currently has a gofundme page to help with her training costs. It is a challenge to keep boys in the sport when it is not always respected in male circles in NA - in fact - many of our boys take figure skating as a means to becoming a better hockey player. Our selection process relies so heavily on parental support and the costs are such that many do not pursue it past a local level. Duhamel and Radford each had incredible drive - and families that somehow managed to pay for it- but not without serious difficulty for their parents. I am not familiar with other countries but I believe it is quite different for young people with talent. Our coaches, for the most part, do an amazing job developing the athletes that they have. Tessa and Scott and others have shown what can happen, even if you come from small town Canada. Hopefully, that is a catalyst for others but we are not snatching the most talented kids up and giving them all the resources they need to be the best.

Colonel Green

I am not familiar with other countries but I believe it is quite different for young people with talent.
North America, Europe and Japan are all fairly similar, though especially in Japan where the sport is crazy-popular there's obviously more private money floating around in the system. Russia has more state funding. China, of course, the entire thing is state-run.

barbarafan

Please relax and think long term, instead of reacting with alarm to everything that happens five minutes ago at every event, which sadly most fans (including me on occasion) have a tendency to do. Can you imagine if athletes reacted the same way to their misfortunes. :drama: Even over-reacting to good fortune, is a no-no in the overall scheme of things.

ETA:
Check out the down-in-the-dumps comments after some of the U.S. skaters' travails on the GP. Most fans weren't even seemingly that happy about the very good results Denney/Frazier had at their GP events. And now, this week both Cain-Gribble/ LeDuc and Kayne/O'Shea had very good showings at Golden Spin, building toward U.S. Nationals.

We all know that Canadian fed is rebuilding in a number of disciplines post 2018 Olympics, including pairs. Still, along with the top, experienced pairings of M-T/M and I/B, Canadian fed has clearly been doing a good job of encouraging and supporting new partnerships. Plus, it takes time for new partnerships to achieve success. It's usually an up-and-down struggle.

Maybe sometimes it's a good idea to take a wellness retreat away from figure skating because it is a sport that is bound to break hearts over and over again. 💔 💞 Take some time out to think of the good times and the happy skating memories. And maybe develop the habit of enjoying where skaters are on their journeys, because perspective has shown more often than not that it's about the process and the moments along the way, more than it is about the destination. Case in point: battling to make the GPF may be more fun than actually qualifying to compete there, at least sometimes. :COP:
I/B are not experienced as a team. They only got together in the spring of this year. They do have experience with other partners but are new to each other.

Janef

ETA:

Hopefully I am not right! Just an observers opinion. The Russians have picked it up a notch which is good but the other nations have to pick it up also. If figure skating in general is going to survive its necessary otherwise it’s boring✌️

barbarafan

Hopefully I am not right! Just an observers opinion. The Russians have picked it up a notch which is good but the other nations have to pick it up also. If figure skating in general is going to survive its necessary otherwise it’s boring✌
It is not that skaters are not trying...It is the countries that need to step up. Russians are state funded if they show promise. And mercy schooling. In most other countries you do not get funding until you are almost there and by that time it is almost bankruptcy. In Canada only 3 senior girls were funded by Skate Canada. And the funding is about a quarter of the cost in general to continue.

riverzz

It is not that skaters are not trying...It is the countries that need to step up. Russians are state funded if they show promise. And mercy schooling. In most other countries you do not get funding until you are almost there and by that time it is almost bankruptcy. In Canada only 3 senior girls were funded by Skate Canada. And the funding is about a quarter of the cost in general to continue.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I/B are not experienced as a team. They only got together in the spring of this year. They do have experience with other partners but are new to each other.

Of course, they are still in the process of learning each other's rhythms and finding out who they are as a team. But they are both experienced veteran pairs skaters by this point, which is what made it possible for them as a new pairing to grab a medal in their first season together on the GP. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information