Canadian Pairs 2019/2020 Season News and Updates

Sk8mom123

Vase

I am sad to see this team split. I wish them both the best and hope for new partnerships for both of them. I wonder is Ostiguy will skate with Seguin?? She’s super tiny.

One Facebook post I read sounded like he was moving on from competing?? I hope it’s not fact, I really enjoyed his skating. Someone small like Julianne would be perfect for him.

ChiquitaBanana

One Facebook post I read sounded like he was moving on from competing?? I hope it’s not fact, I really enjoyed his skating. Someone small like Julianne would be perfect for him.
Nope from what I have read. Taking summer off and getting back to finding a partner in the fall/winter.

DFO

Championnat québécois d'été groups and Schedule are out.
https://patinage.qc.ca/championnats-quebecois-dete/

Juniors and Seniors pairs will be on Saturday morning (short) and Sunday morning (free)
Schedule at:
https://patinage.qc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Horaire_CQE2019_V11-07-2019.pdf

Complete list. Starting order not out yet.
Senior:
Brasseur Justine Couple Senior Brossard RS
Bardei Mark Couple Senior Brossard RS
Choinard Chloe Couple Senior Saint-Léonard BA
Ostiguy Mathieu Couple Senior St-Césaire RA
Gamez Isabella Couple Senior Philippines PHI
Paradis David-Alexandre Couple Senior Philippines PHI
Ilyushechkina Lubov Couple Senior Saint-Léonard BA
Bilodeau Charlie Couple Senior Trois-Pistoles EQ
Matte Lori-Ann Couple Senior St-Romuald / St-Jean CACH
Ferland Thierry Couple Senior St-Romuald / St-Jean CACH
Purich Natasha Couple Senior Des Deux-Rives LC
Chudak Bryce Couple Senior Des Deux-Rives LC
Ruest Camille Couple Senior Rimouski EQ
Wolfe Andrew Couple Senior Glencoe AB/NWT/NT
Wang Nadine Couple Senior Japon JPN
Boudreau-Audet Francis Couple Senior Japon JPN

Junior:

Bear Shallen Couple Junior Whitewood FSC SK
Haubrich Marty Couple Junior Skate Esterhazy SK
Carignan Émy Couple Junior Boucherville RS
Pierro Bryan Couple Junior St-Hubert RS
Feinberg Esther Couple Junior St-Bruno RS
Simard Alexandre Couple Junior La Pocatière EQ
Laurin Kelly Ann Couple Junior St-Jérôme LO
Éthier Loucas Couple Junior Bromont RA
Levesque Gabrielle Couple Junior St.Margarets Bay NS
Hudon Pier-Alexandre Couple Junior La Pocatière EQ
Panetta Chloe Couple Junior Les Lames d'Argent LV
Mimar Benjamin Couple Junior St-Michel MC
Perreault Camille Couple Junior Magog ER
St-Louis William Couple Junior Trois-Rivières-Ouest MA
Vallières Clémence Couple Junior Outremont LC
Andjorin Samir Couple Junior Laval LV

blademate

Shaquille Davis is on IcePartnerSearch for pairs: http://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=6584 I wonder if he'll get any takers?
Purich/Chudak had a decent throw 3lutz prior to her recent surgery:

If Shaq is serious, he should relocate to Granite Club or Oakville and start training pairs basics with Lee or Bruno while he waits for a partner. He had weak elements with previous partners, but maybe with more dedicated training in a serious pair school he could make the most of his height and become a solid pair boy.

barbarafan

If Shaq is serious, he should relocate to Granite Club or Oakville and start training pairs basics with Lee or Bruno while he waits for a partner. He had weak elements with previous partners, but maybe with more dedicated training in a serious pair school he could make the most of his height and become a solid pair boy.
I thought Lee was done with pairs.
What is wrong with Gauthier's school to learn?
His number one canadian pair MTM2 have left , and Ostiguay and Chloe are gone for now unless they find partners. There should be room there.

yfbg722

I thought Lee was done with pairs.
What is wrong with Gauthier's school to learn?
His number one canadian pair MTM2 have left , and Ostiguay and Chloe are gone for now unless they find partners. There should be room there.
Toronto/Oakville would be closer to home for Shaq as he lives in that area I believe. I had also heard Lee was done with pairs but Oakville would be a good place for him, or even with Drew Evans. He's doing some great work with younger teams. There's also Bryce Davison in Hamilton. Shaq was mostly coached by his mom earlier in his pairs career. He spent a bit of time in KW under Wirtz but could benefit from a full time pair coach as Blademate said. Nice kid. I hope he finds a partner and goes somewhere with pairs. He certainly loves the sport.

barbarafan

Toronto/Oakville would be closer to home for Shaq as he lives in that area I believe. I had also heard Lee was done with pairs but Oakville would be a good place for him, or even with Drew Evans. He's doing some great work with younger teams. There's also Bryce Davison in Hamilton. Shaq was mostly coached by his mom earlier in his pairs career. He spent a bit of time in KW under Wirtz but could benefit from a full time pair coach as Blademate said. Nice kid. I hope he finds a partner and goes somewhere with pairs. He certainly loves the sport.

for some reason I thought he was in Quebec. Bryce Davison is very good and I believe he is training Zachary Daleman and his new partner.

Vase

Alison Purkiss is in Brantford, a growing club with Novice, Junior and Senior teams. And she has the track record of bringing teams to the international level.

Sylvia

TBD
Choinard/Ostiguy have split because they "didn't enough of a height difference to be competitive with the best". They split amicably. He is going to take some time to rest and then start skating again.

https://www.facebook.com/mathieu.ostiguy.1/posts/10156639173598512
Chloe Choinard has a profile on IPS now and lists Bruno Marcotte as her coach: http://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=6609

Five Canadian Senior pairs are listed in the Minto SP starting order: https://skateontario.org/results/19S1/19S1SeniorPairSP1SO.pdf
12 Junior pairs are listed in the Minto SP starting order: https://skateontario.org/results/19S1/19S1JuniorPairSP1SO.pdf
Pairs are scheduled to compete on Saturday and Sunday (July 27-28) and a Minto competition thread will be started in the Kiss & Cry section.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I know they are young yet but it is encouraging to see the pair girls are so much shorter than their male partner.

Why though? Because the greater height difference can allow for huge height on 3-twists and throws, and perhaps greater facility on lifts? Or because you prefer petite girls with tall guys? :) For me it's more about how pairs grow together and combine technical skills with engaging artistry. There doesn't have to be a significant height difference between partners for that to happen. There are so many factors involved in well-matched pairs evolving and developing their own unique style that sets them apart from the pack.

barbarafan

Why though? Because the greater height difference can allow for huge height on 3-twists and throws, and perhaps greater facility on lifts? Or because you prefer petite girls with tall guys? :) For me it's more about how pairs grow together and combine technical skills with engaging artistry. There doesn't have to be a significant height difference between partners for that to happen. There are so many factors involved in well-matched pairs evolving and developing their own unique style that sets them apart from the pack.
If a girl gets too tall it gets very tricky on lifts....hard to balance and can become dangerous.Yes the elements like twist and throws are easier to achieve height but the strength of a pair girls core is also a big factor. If a girl is quite small because she hasn't started sprouting yet you can get a big surprise if she shoots up and is all legs and becomes limited in jumping ability. If a girl is naturally short if can be a big plus.

puglover

While I certainly agree with you about the importance of the pair growing together I remember a few pair girls who just grew too tall for their partner and that spelled the end of the partnership. A sad day for all concerned.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Oh yes, that's true @puglover. I remember that fate happening to some young U.S. pairs skaters, where the lady grew too tall. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw, or maybe some of these pairings were formed specifically to guard against the lady outgrowing the guy. Or else, there's just a lot of tall guys and petite ladies that happen to be coming up right now in Canada.

The entire history of pairs with pairing trends, evolution of athletic moves and aesthetic innovations, is fascinating.

Last edited:

Rock2

I really, really hope Brooke doesn't outgrow Brandon, because I think they're such a promising team. At this point it's clear Brandon isn't going to grow up to be Eric Radford or Bruno Massot.

Why do you say that? He's quite young for a pair boy on JGP. He could grow for another 2 years.

oleada

Why do you say that? He's quite young for a pair boy on JGP. He could grow for another 2 years.

He’s young for a pairs guy, but he’s almost 17. He could (and likely will) grow but turning out to be a tall pairs guy like the ones mentioned seems unlikely.

Colonel Green

Charlie posted an Instagram story today of him and Luba landing gorgeous SBS 3Ts!
Landing jumps in practice has unfortunately usually not been the problem for Lubov, but fingers crossed that Gauthier has cracked the code here.

Honestly, if they could just get the 3T reasonably consistent they'd be in a good place, even with the Salchow not being reliable, since almost every pairs team has side-by-side jump problems.

semillon27

Landing jumps in practice has unfortunately usually not been the problem for Lubov, but fingers crossed that Gauthier has cracked the code here.

Honestly, if they could just get the 3T reasonably consistent they'd be in a good place, even with the Salchow not being reliable, since almost every pairs team has side-by-side jump problems.

Agreed, but I find it encouraging nonetheless. They looked really solid and beautifully in sync. Fingers crossed...

aftershocks

Banned Member
Apparently Charlie Bilodeau is now engaged to girlfriend, Charlotte: https://www.instagram.com/p/B0RvMbTlcoW/

Congrats to Charlie and his girlfriend,* Charlotte. Boy, 'Charlie' et 'Charlotte' seems so apropos! :D I didn't know he had a significant other. I actually thought at one point that Charlie & Julianne were romantically involved. But that assumption often happens when we watch pairs partners who seem so in-sync on the ice.

I'm happy for Charlie and Charlotte. Isn't Luba also engaged to her boyfriend, Dean Harrison? Luba often posts pics of herself with Dean on her Instagram. She recently posted that they've been together for two happy, inseparable years: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz8lxKHp0kY/

It's quite nice to see both Luba and Charlie overjoyed in their private lives. That should bode well for their on-ice partnership. :saint:

ETA:
* (Uh, I mean Charlie and his new wife) 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👨

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information