Canadian Pairs 2019/2020 Season News and Updates

shutterbug

I guess I am the Debbie Downer here but I was somewhat disappointed by Lubov and Charlie. To make a mark a team has to have something extra and I just didn't see that.
Maybe my expectations were different, but I was more "wowed " by Lubov & Dylan upon first viewing. IMHO, Lubov is better skater than Charlie, as she was with Dylan, but in Dylan's case I felt he was working hard to be a good match for her right from the get go. Charlie OTOH, still looks like, well, Charlie. :lol: Plus, their SP music is dreadful. Hopefully they've chosen something more engaging for their FP.

Catherine M

I guess I'll be alone in liking Lubov & Charlie's short program. :slinkaway

Maybe it is cause I just saw Buble in concert a few weeks ago and "My funny Valentine" was a show stopper number for me. Thought the program had lots of nice moments

Good luck to the pairs skating today. No surprise that I/B aren't skating but hopefully they do a full comp before Skate Canada.

skategal

Bunny mama
I guess I'll be alone in liking Lubov & Charlie's short program. :slinkaway

Maybe it is cause I just saw Buble in concert a few weeks ago and "My funny Valentine" was a show stopper number for me. Thought the program had lots of nice moments

Good luck to the pairs skating today. No surprise that I/B aren't skating but hopefully they do a full comp before Skate Canada.

You’re not alone.

I liked it too plus I got all the WOW vibes from seeing them skating together.

IMO the foundation and potential is there for an excellent team.

shutterbug

I guess I'll be alone in liking Lubov & Charlie's short program. :slinkaway Maybe it is cause I just saw Buble in concert a few weeks ago and "My funny Valentine" was a show stopper number for me.

Confession time - I am not a fan of Bublé. At all. (yes I know bad Canadian, relinquish your passport) I would have taken even Nickleback over Bublé. :lol: But I love Lubov, and am happy she'll have another chance to possibly represent Canada at an Olympic games. Maybe their FP will knock my socks off. :)

My pair find so far this season is Wang/Boudreau-Audet. I was intrigued by them at Minto, and very impressed by their progress at Championnats. Looking forward to seeing more from this team.

Rock2

I fell asleep to just about every pairs program I have seen so far. The exception is Matte/Ferland who even attempt music that you have to skate up to. A ways to go there but congrats for the ambition.

There was one junior pairs team who didn't skate well but had a jazz/funk short that had me sitting up straight and thinking 'this is awesome!!'. More of this, please. I mean.. PLEASE

Colonel Green

Justine and Mark's technical elements are mostly of really high quality (throws still a work in progress, but Gauthier is good with throws, so I'm sure that's being worked on). The third lift entry in their free skate really stands out.

I don't think the program is a good fit, though -- they're not a "soft instrumental music" team.

Camille and Andrew had one of their best competitions ever here, surprisingly.

barbarafan

Justine and Mark's technical elements are mostly of really high quality (throws still a work in progress, but Gauthier is good with throws, so I'm sure that's being worked on). The third lift entry in their free skate really stands out.

I don't think the program is a good fit, though -- they're not a "soft instrumental music" team.

Camille and Andrew had one of their best competitions ever here, surprisingly.
loved Camille and Drew....a new confidence and smoothness...when they get their new lifts ironed out they will really stand out.

Catherine M

My pair find so far this season is Wang/Boudreau-Audet. I was intrigued by them at Minto, and very impressed by their progress at Championnats. Looking forward to seeing more from this team.

I've already claimed dibs on being their first international fan.

Speaking of that, does anyone know if Nadine is working on getting her Canadian citizenship? I know its early for 2022 but by then they could really be in the mix for the Olympic team.

Sk8mom123

I've already claimed dibs on being their first international fan.

Speaking of that, does anyone know if Nadine is working on getting her Canadian citizenship? I know its early for 2022 but by then they could really be in the mix for the Olympic team.
I really love this team. I think Nadine already has citizenship both American and Canadian

Sk8mom123

I fell asleep to just about every pairs program I have seen so far. The exception is Matte/Ferland who even attempt music that you have to skate up to. A ways to go there but congrats for the ambition.

There was one junior pairs team who didn't skate well but had a jazz/funk short that had me sitting up straight and thinking 'this is awesome!!'. More of this, please. I mean.. PLEASE
I loved that funky music too!!

aftershocks

Banned Member
yes Triple T was really nice on her part. Was he nervous? he also threw her not far and very low...she had trouble getting her feet under her. A shame as they did several good throws in the warmup. It looks like they were going for clean with good levels. Lines and transitions were great. I would say this program will be very changed next time out. I like them though..very well matched.

Thanks to @Colonel Green for the link. It's nice this event allows videos to be available, whereas Skate Detroit wants people to pay for livestream (so those who don't or can't pay have to hope for any crappy partial comp vids they can get). I shell out enough to watch figure skating online every year, without paying extra for every Tom, Dick and Harry pre-season comp!

ITA that Luba's 3-toe was very good. It looks like Charlie was a bit anxious for Luba and so he wasn't fully concentrating on his own jump, thus his hand-down on the landing. Also, it was Charlie who threw Luba crooked into the air, so I do think it was nerves on his part. Being thrown crooked is why Luba tumbled on the throw. However, in a partnership, both play a role and must shoulder responsibility together for their performances. The death spiral was slightly shaky on the entrance. But the lift was good, if basic. They do match very well.

I'm a bit surprised they don't yet have a 3-twist. But most likely they are just taking it slow with that element. They both know the mechanics, but new partners have to get used to each other's rhythm and timing. It takes awhile. I am reminded that 3-twists are plenty difficult. We get spoiled seeing them all the time. It's the skaters' jobs to make what's tough look easy, which leads to us fans taking hard stuff for granted.

Luba/Charlie definitely have a very nice look on the ice. From what I see in this performance, I think it's going to take them a bit of time as a new team to pull it all together, so they will need to be patient with themselves and with each other. We shouldn't be surprised that new partnerships take time to develop. It's going to be important for them to find more interesting music that can help define who they are as a team. The music selection is bland, safe and boring. But it is their debut season and they still have a lot to work on with their elements, timing, trust, etc. So, they aren't trying to pick more unique music right off the bat I suppose. I wish them luck.

Tripleflip-skate25

Thanks to @Colonel Green for the link. It's nice this event allows videos to be available, whereas Skate Detroit wants people to pay for livestream (so those who don't or can't pay have to hope for any crappy partial comp vids they can get). I shell out enough to watch figure skating online every year, without paying extra for every Tom, Dick and Harry pre-season comp!

ITA that Luba's 3-toe was very good. It looks like Charlie was a bit anxious for Luba and so he wasn't fully concentrating on his own jump, thus his hand-down on the landing. Also, it was Charlie who threw Luba crooked into the air, so I do think it was nerves on his part. Being thrown crooked is why Luba tumbled on the throw. However, in a partnership, both play a role and must shoulder responsibility together for their performances. The death spiral was slightly shaky on the entrance. But the lift was good, if basic. They do match very well.

I'm a bit surprised they don't yet have a 3-twist. But most likely they are just taking it slow with that element. They both know the mechanics, but new partners have to get used to each other's rhythm and timing. It takes awhile. I am reminded that 3-twists are plenty difficult. We get spoiled seeing them all the time. It's the skaters' jobs to make what's tough look easy, which leads to us fans taking hard stuff for granted.

Luba/Charlie definitely have a very nice look on the ice. From what I see in this performance, I think it's going to take them a bit of time as a new team to pull it all together, so they will need to be patient with themselves and with each other. We shouldn't be surprised that new partnerships take time to develop. It's going to be important for them to find more interesting music that can help define who they are as a team. The music selection is bland, safe and boring. But it is their debut season and they still have a lot to work on with their elements, timing, trust, etc. So, they aren't trying to pick more unique music right off the bat I suppose. I wish them luck.
I still think that their program was overscored. There is no way that they could have got this score in a Grand Prix with this program. It still has a lot of potential.

text_skate

Catherine M

I'm glad Choinard & Davis have found each other this late in the summer skating season as Canada really needs girls in pairs that can do the sbs triple jumps like Chloe can.

I was worried that her height would preclude her from continuing on with pairs but Davis looks tall enough.

Best of luck to them. And to Ostiguy in finding a new partner too as Canada needs him too.

Rock2

I was worried that her height would preclude her from continuing on with pairs but Davis looks tall enough.

Forget tall, I'm told he's freakishly strong. Apparently he did novice pairs so he's not completely new to this.
All the elements are coming along great but with most new couples the twist develops last. The single is allegedly a rocket and now it's just building in rotations. Just a matter of time and work.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I wasn’t taken with Lubov and Charlie and no real wow factor that I got with both of them with their previous partners. Hopefully will be different live. He doesn’t lift or throw very high so perhaps timing or that Julianne did a lot in the partnership? Early days though.

million$momma

Forget tall, I'm told he's freakishly strong. Apparently he did novice pairs so he's not completely new to this.
All the elements are coming along great but with most new couples the twist develops last. The single is allegedly a rocket and now it's just building in rotations. Just a matter of time and work.
Are they Jr eligible? I don't know how old he is.

karmena

I wasn’t taken with Lubov and Charlie and no real wow factor that I got with both of them with their previous partners. Hopefully will be different live. He doesn’t lift or throw very high so perhaps timing or that Julianne did a lot in the partnership? Early days though.

Agree. Julianne really did a lot, the same said TAT in her comments about Julianne and Charlie as a pair. Of course, I wish-and hope!-all the best to Lubov. Her determination and love for the sport is truly admirable. And want to hope this partnership will work. Though, with my unprofessional eyes... somehow Lubov could not blend with her former partners, there was no a sense of pair. She skated with her mind; like deeply in her own thoughts and ideas how it has to look; there was no this freedom of skating, no pair (no wings of freedom). I am not a coach or skater so I might be wrong of course. I have to admit, that am not fan at all of all these gymnastic tricks in lift position, too. They are not so important at all. It just my humble opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information