Canadian Men 2018-19 season news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiquitaBanana

Gogolev is super talented but quite prone to frequent and fairly random mistakes. Included in that list is popping which is a hor-rible habit to develop at any age. Orzel has this problem, too, so if they can reduce or eliminate that habit, I call that progress. So far so good for both.

Kovler has been percolating in the junior ranks for a few years. Fairly consistent but small triples. I believe it's this year where he added the 3A plus he grew and got stronger. This has opened up opportunities. Glad to see him take advantage right away.

Percolating at the mere age of 15. Not too bad, lol! Good for him, he got a great 3A.

Colonel Green

Congratulations to Nam on collecting his first international medal since the 2015 Autumn Classic -- and a gold medal, no less, with a win at the U.S. Classic (stick to events with "Classic" in the name). Neither program was perfect, by any means, but he got the job done, and what Nam needs most, I think, is to keep building confidence, which this will surely help with.

screech

A rough outing in the FP for Stephen at JGP Canada. He had 3 falls (4lz, 4s, 3lz) and his first 3A had mostly -4 for GOE. I haven't watched, but yikes! No pops, though... He was 5th in the FP and 5th overall. Kovler fell to 11th in the FP and finished 7 overall, whereas Beres Clements came 8th.

As crappy as it must feel for Stephen, I think that overall it's a good thing that he's experienced these mistakes. It's still so early in his career that he can build up from here.

barbarafan

A rough outing in the FP for Stephen at JGP Canada. He had 3 falls (4lz, 4s, 3lz) and his first 3A had mostly -4 for GOE. I haven't watched, but yikes! No pops, though... He was 5th in the FP and 5th overall. Kovler fell to 11th in the FP and finished 7 overall, whereas Beres Clements came 8th.

As crappy as it must feel for Stephen, I think that overall it's a good thing that he's experienced these mistakes. It's still so early in his career that he can build up from here.

He was not happy with himself for sure. He was not completely in the zone. I however am thrilled with him. He attempted 3 diff.quads but 1 was called underotated and he sat down at the end. The other 2 were fully rotated. He sat down at the end of one and one was clean. They were all fast and nice. One of his 2 triple axels was very high and leaned a bit which meant he did a bit of a dance and came close to the boards so they really minused it. He was heavily docked as he should have been especially as he is from the host country and so marks will be under a microscope. He went for everything and never stopped fighting ...A Success.

dramagrrl

I actually think this is a better result than if he had won. Two wins in his first JGP season, especially one at home, would have intensified both the publicity and pressure around him. IMO, it is better for him to have had one great result with his first win and one learning experience with home support from his fans at this event. Considering his age, the fact that he won't be eligible to compete as an international senior for a few more years, and the hype already surrounding him, I am hoping his progress will be steady rather than meteoric.

barbarafan

I actually think this is a better result than if he had won. Two wins in his first JGP season, especially one at home, would have intensified both the publicity and pressure around him. IMO, it is better for him to have had one great result with his first win and one learning experience with home support from his fans at this event. Considering his age, the fact that he won't be eligible to compete as an international senior for a few more years, and the hype already surrounding him, I am hoping his progress will be steady rather than meteoric.

Exactly...for the first JGP I believe their goal was to land the Quad Lutz in competition.no pressure. Now he can concentrate on cleaning up his programs for junior worlds if he gets to go. And doing senior programs for nationals. It would have been nice to go to grand prix final though.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Though it wasn't perfect, Nam had a pretty good outing in the SP at the US International Figure Skating Classic, and is currently in the lead by less than 1 point. Though he still isn't getting 'into' the ice and maximizing his power, there does seem to be a bit of improvement in his speed. And he's using his whole body for his movement, which many skaters don't do...

I enjoyed watching Nam's City of Stars fp. He's continuing to grow artistically and that's nice to see. He's been regaining his confidence, and I sense him feeling the music more. He's a fun skater to watch, particularly seeing him regroup from ups-and-downs. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKNzVyzkgXg

screech

Absolutely loved Roman Sadovsky's FP. It wasn't a perfect skate, but he had me completely captivated. And I loved the two pieces of music together! He's made huge improvements. Great job!

Kevin Reynolds - I like that he's letting his curls run free - his hair looks much better now. But his jumps... so many underrotations! I noticed though, that all of Joanne's male skaters struggle(d) with getting 'into' the ice to get speed. Kevin, Nam, Emanuel... it's such a common thing with them.

Zazy

Last edited:

Erin

Banned Member
Absolutely loved Roman Sadovsky's FP. It wasn't a perfect skate, but he had me completely captivated. And I loved the two pieces of music together! He's made huge improvements. Great job!

Yeah, I was really impressed with the improvements he has made technically this season. I think I might like the two pieces of music together the second time around, but on first watch, I was so distracted trying to figure out what the classical piece was (Bells of Moscow), then I was annoyed every time it switched to Schindler’s List because it was interfering with my ability to ID the music. I think I will like it when I’m not worrying about music ID though and I’m really interested to see how the program plays live at Skate Canada. He’s definitely made me more interested in seeing him than I was before this event.

dramagrrl

I'm seriously not trying to be mean, but I don't understand all the praise and marks for Roman Sadovsky. Both times I have seen him skate live (at Canadians in Vancouver earlier this year and today at ACI), I have been baffled by his marks because to me, his programs look like a lot of empty skating with long set ups for jumps - skate to one end... lonnnng set up... jump... skate to the other end... maybe emote a bit... lonnnng set up... etc. The music he chooses (or his team chooses for him, whichever) is generally too big for his skating, IMO, and set up to make him look more "artistic" than he actually is. I can see that there are some nice things about his skating in general, but overall, I don't get it.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I'm seriously not trying to be mean, but I don't understand all the praise and marks for Roman Sadovsky. Both times I have seen him skate live (at Canadians in Vancouver earlier this year and today at ACI), I have been baffled by his marks because to me, his programs look like a lot of empty skating with long set ups for jumps - skate to one end... lonnnng set up... jump... skate to the other end... maybe emote a bit... lonnnng set up... etc. The music he chooses (or his team chooses for him, whichever) is generally too big for his skating, IMO, and set up to make him look more "artistic" than he actually is. I can see that there are some nice things about his skating in general, but overall, I don't get it.

Welcome to skating.

ChiquitaBanana

Roman has amazing flow and ease of movement. He is a skater's skater IMHO, when he's on.

Zazy

Sadovsky is an introverted kind of performer, which will obviously not appeal to everyone.
He does need to work on getting more power and skating bigger, something that's more apparent when seeing him live, but when he's on, he has beautiful flow and feels the music in a special way. At least to me.

shutterbug

Aww, priceless. :) @Daniskates93 what an amazing moment you captured! Big congrats to Roman on his first international senior medal. :cheer2: Lots more work to do, but progress is being made. Very much looking forward to seeing him live in Laval.
I don't know how to share it but if you you tube the Junior Grand Prix final for 2014 for Roman Sadovsky you get a sense of his potential. He has obviously grown a lot but it is nice to see him able to land some of the big jumps
Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46twsYUv92M. There's so much more of him now. :lol:.

screech

Yeah, I was really impressed with the improvements he has made technically this season. I think I might like the two pieces of music together the second time around, but on first watch, I was so distracted trying to figure out what the classical piece was (Bells of Moscow), then I was annoyed every time it switched to Schindler’s List because it was interfering with my ability to ID the music. I think I will like it when I’m not worrying about music ID though and I’m really interested to see how the program plays live at Skate Canada. He’s definitely made me more interested in seeing him than I was before this event.
The piece was Prelude in C Sharp Minor, which I recognized immediately as the music from Jeff Buttle's brilliant 04/05 SP. I just thought the two pieces blended together so well.

barbarafan

I haven't paid much attention to Roman TBH, but the way he skated this program suggests to me that he has an elegant, almost classical quality. This will prompt me to watch more of his programs in future.
I have been following him for a few years and loved his performances but in the last few yrs have found when he doesn't get an element it was like he would almost quit....like dial in the rest of the program. So happy to see he is back on track. I loved his performance.

Rock2

I understand what you're saying completely. Long set ups to the jumps and he's not challenging himself choreographically.

Where he makes up for it is in skating skills, the PE part of the marks where he's both engaged with the music and has clear intent for his moves. He skates big and fills the ice. He's developing a presence and this program is an incredible vehicle for him to be seen as next level. He's now stepping into the light and has an early inside track to make worlds with Keegan.

There are many skaters who get high marks with few or very easy transitions and choreo if they have very noticeable skills in other areas. I won't name names to distract the conversation.

On a related note I have been a Reynolds fan all along although I have recognized his limitations. Seeing Roman and Kevin together in competition has really opened my eyes to how poor Kevin's basic skating is....and not even like Roman is super elite. I can see why judges seem to be over him.

dramagrrl

He's now stepping into the light and has an early inside track to make worlds with Keegan.
I'm not sure about that. If I had to make a prediction now, I would say one of the world team spots will go to Nam. I also wouldn't consider Keegan's spot locked. Highly likely, but not a sure thing.

Rock2

I'm not sure about that. If I had to make a prediction now, I would say one of the world team spots will go to Nam. I also wouldn't consider Keegan's spot locked. Highly likely, but not a sure thing.

Fair. Canada is like what the US was before Nathan. A bunch of guys who had ceilings of top 10 in the world someday. You can almost mix and match. So we have to be prepared for anything, including Gogo or Orzel upsetting the podium at nationals.

With the men I always forget someone. And yeah...Nam. He's probably technically the fave with Keegan. Roman needs a good Skate Canada on a bigger stage to prove himself. Promising start to the year though.

screech

Canada currently has 3 men vying for the title who have been top 10 in the world in the last 5 years (Keegan, Nam, Kevin), and another that has been a world junior medallist in that time (Nic, and Nam as well). If all men skate well (unlike the somewhat crapfest of last year), it's going to be an interesting competition! IMO there's no clear frontrunner, and probably the first time in decades where it's not really clearly just between 2 or 3 men for the title (or a clear frontrunner).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information