Canadian Ice Dance 2016-17 season news & updates

breathesgelatin

A potential new partnership, currently trying out Brianna Del Maestro and Dimitre Razgulajers.

That's interesting. I loved Del Maestro/Lum, especially in their breakout first season. I was disappointed and a bit surprised when he decided to retire. (He retired, right?)

hope they go out west to train.brianna and dimitri

With his dad in Ontario, a little hard to imagine, but you never know, I guess.

barbarafan

That's interesting. I loved Del Maestro/Lum, especially in their breakout first season. I was disappointed and a bit surprised when he decided to retire. (He retired, right?)

With his dad in Ontario, a little hard to imagine, but you never know, I guess.

Well Mackenzie and Dimitri were coming along but did not have good material.Going to a fresh enviornment might help the situation.

rinkside

Dmitre Razgulajevs has put his bio back up on IcePartnerSearch as of today. Shortest partnership ever?
Won't name names but know one canadian jr. guy who had a 24 hour partnership last spring. He's now on his third partnership this season.

mag

Was it ever actually confirmed that he and Del Maestro had decided to partner up, though?

I don't think it was ever confirmed and I didn't hear any rumors of it around here (of course, I don't hear everything, but I think I might have heard that one if it had been true.)

princeton123

So nationals are in a week.

Interesting reading and hearing some chatter about Gilles/Poirier overtaking Weaver/Poje for 2nd. Their scores in the GP have definitely been close this season and they have much better choreographed programs, IMO. Still, it would be a huge blow to Weaver/Poje. I mean, they were GPF champions two years in a row. Still not convinced by this Morozov pairing. It still seems like a panic move.

VGThuy

I think Weaver/Poje are still better skaters, and to me are more compelling to watch when they're on. I think theyir material this year is weaker (though I enjoy the SD and enjoyed the FD at Cup of China for what it was) than Gilles/Poirier this year. G/P seem to also to be in an upswing and there's a bit more excitement about them while W/P seem to be trying to keep their status. I think their SDs are comparable actually, where I actually prefer W/P's SD much more. I loved G/P's disco when I saw it at the Challenger series, but liked it less and less every time they performed it since. It lost its novelty to me since it's so costumey and bit too aware of itself. W/P simply dance Michael Jackson, though Andrew can improve on his dancing and expression, and I find that I connect with it more.

Last edited:

princeton123

Weaver/Poje are definitely stronger skaters. If skating were fair, they should hang onto 2nd. I can't help but think Gilles/Poirier are getting a huge political push from Skate Canada though. Kurt Browning dropped heavy hints about it on Ice Talk and they scored MASSIVELY at Challenge (even considering it's Challenge). Now that I think of it, at Skate Canada International earlier this year, they received far more inflated scores than Virtue/Moir, who scored almost 10 points better in Japan and France compared to at home, which seemed strange to me at the time.

Sylvia

TBD
Announced today:

2017 ISU WORLD FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
Helsinki Finland, March 29 – April 2, 2017

Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir
Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje
Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier

2017 ISU FOUR CONTINENTS FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
Gangneung, South Korea – February 14-19, 2017

Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir
Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje
Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier

2017 ISU JUNIOR WORLD FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
Taipei City, Chinese Taipei – March 15-19, 2017

Marjorie Lajoie & Zachary Lagha
Ashlynne Stairs & Lee Royer

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Jun Y

So do we know what is going to happen to Mackenzie Bent? Is she looking for a new partner? It would be a shame if she doesn't continue, as she's a very good skater.

barbarafan

I am so glad...Love her skating, Hope she skates canadian & don't really care where her partner comes from as long as he is good and good to her and they don't have c.lane as coach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information