Canadian Ice Dance 2016-17 season news & updates

VGThuy

Well, Ilinykh & Katsalapov would likely also have had to not botch their FD at the GPF and Europeans in order for Papadakis & Cizeron not to have had a shot at breaking through in 2015. How likely do we think this scenario is? Just, say, looking at what we know about I&K.

Weaver & Poje's SD is my favorite Canadian dance program this season.

I think if there was a team that would have gotten a lot of leeway and flexibility for performing badly in the past and yet would be welcomed back with open arms with high scores if they got it together for the one big competition of the season, it would have been Ilinykh/Katsalapov.

sap5

More unfortunate news.. it seems Paul and Islam are no longer going to be skating competitively

Ack! Where did you hear this news??

I think if there was a team that would have gotten a lot of leeway and flexibility for performing badly in the past and yet would be welcomed back with open arms with high scores if they got it together for the one big competition of the season, it would have been Ilinykh/Katsalapov.

These two still have a chance at an Olympic medal if they come back again together next year. Get it together, you two!

CassAgain

You can't have Anthony!

Paul and Islam are a good team, and seem to be even better people. I'm sorry if they are ending mid-season and not having a last Nationals.

The senior ranks are scarily bare. I hope Lajoie and Lagha can hang on--there always seems to be splitting rumors about them. They could be successful soon if they decide to move up after 2018.

sap5

Paul and Islam are a good team, and seem to be even better people. I'm sorry if they are ending mid-season and not having a last Nationals.

The senior ranks are scarily bare. I hope Lajoie and Lagha can hang on--there always seems to be splitting rumors about them. They could be successful soon if they decide to move up after 2018.

Where is the news of their retirement? I'm not going to start mourning without something official!

barbarafan

You can't have Anthony!

Maybe they were too discouraged after they saw the inflated marks of Piper & Paul at challenge. The judges have totally stated their preferances and so they might have thought rather than the chance of doing amazing programs with their beautiful skating skills and still coming behind G/P.

The first time I saw Lajoie was during a split. She was at summer skate with another partner and I believe they skated the short..withdrew from the long and then a month later she competed in ONtario back with Lagha..Artistic people are often very intense and tempermental.. Hope they stay together

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Paul/Islam haven't beaten Gilles/Poirier nationally or internationally, whether it be head-to-head or on the SB list, since 2014 Nationals.

They've competed together internationally six times since 2013-14, and while some of their earlier SD's have been a few points apart (with G/P ahead in each) after 2014 Worlds, when G/P edged past P/I after a much later start -- 30th of 32 vs. 16th for P/I in the SD, and, as a result, in the penultimate group vs. before the ice break in the FD -- G/P have dominated in the FD in head-to-head competition.

P/I have only two of 15 of the top SD scores after 2014 Nationals:
  • 2016-17 Skate Canada Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 72.12
  • 2015-16 World Championships Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 70.7
  • 2016-17 Nebelhorn Trophy Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 70.32
  • 2014-15 World Championships Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 65.9
  • 2016-17 Trophee de France Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 64.74
  • 2014-15 World Championships Alexandra PAUL / Mitchell ISLAM 64.38
  • 2015-16 Trophee Eric Bompard Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 63.94
  • 2015-16 Four Continents Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 63.92
  • 2014-15 Four Continents Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 63.45
  • 2015-16 Ondrej Nepela Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 62.56
  • 2014-15 Grand Prix Final Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 62.49
  • 2013-14 Four Continents Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 62.38
  • 2014-15 Trophee Eric Bompard Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 61.9
  • 2014-15 Four Continents Alexandra PAUL / Mitchell ISLAM 61.34
  • 2015-16 Skate America Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 61.33
and the 15th of 15 top FD scores -- more comparable because there's no base difference, unlike for the pattern dances:

• 2016-17 Skate Canada Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 110.45
  • 2016-17 Nebelhorn Trophy Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 106.52
  • 2016-17 Trophee de France Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 106.04
  • 2015-16 World Championships Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 102.37
  • 2014-15 World Championships Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 99.32
  • 2014-15 Four Continents Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 98.8
  • 2015-16 Four Continents Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 98.27
  • 2015-16 Ondrej Nepela Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 96.58
  • 2015-16 Skate America Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 96.25
  • 2014-15 Trophee Eric Bompard Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 95.68
  • 2014-15 Grand Prix Final Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 95.67
  • 2014-15 Skate Canada Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 95.25
  • 2013-14 World Championships Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 94.44
  • 2013-14 Four Continents Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER 91.33
  • 2013-14 World Championships Alexandra PAUL / Mitchell ISLAM 91.08
That's not including Nationals.

I'm not surprised they gave it a final shot by moving to Montreal, especially when it wasn't clear V/M would return, and they may have been waiting to see how V/M's comeback would be received, especially after the break-ups/retirements after V/M's announced comeback. IMO only an injury would give them a shot for a second Olympics.

chameleonster

And as I recall, before they moved to Montreal they were considering retirement, and again after they missed the world team last season. Its really not surprising that after seeing the scores of the top 3 as well as her getting injured caused them to decide to call it quits. They're not likely to make the team this year or next, and skating is expensive.

bwayrose7

I feel like Weaver/Poje won't retire until they win a world title.

Assuming this wasn't sarcastic (apologies if it was!), is there a time and place where it might be possible, anymore? The only chance I can think of would be the post-Olympics Worlds, assuming V/M and P/C were to sit it out, and assuming that the Shibs falter or also sit it out. Since they're among the older skaters (Andrew will be 30 or 31 in Pyeongchang, IIRC), I can't see them trying to (or able to) reach the top in the following quad, either. And I say this as a huge fan of their skating- but I think their best chances passed in 2014 and 2015.

princeton123

Assuming this wasn't sarcastic (apologies if it was!), is there a time and place where it might be possible, anymore? The only chance I can think of would be the post-Olympics Worlds, assuming V/M and P/C were to sit it out, and assuming that the Shibs falter or also sit it out. Since they're among the older skaters (Andrew will be 30 or 31 in Pyeongchang, IIRC), I can't see them trying to (or able to) reach the top in the following quad, either. And I say this as a huge fan of their skating- but I think their best chances passed in 2014 and 2015.

Lol, I was only being halfway facetious. They always give off a vibe to me as really wanting it more than anyone else. I remember a CBC fluff piece that aired before Worlds last season where Kaitlyn was crying actual tears at the thought of winning Worlds. I'm not sure I see them throwing in the towel in 2018, given how passionate they are. Maybe they might do what Dubreuil/Lauzon did and stay for another year after the Olympics. Of course, D/L retired when they saw how much Virtue/Moir were shooting up the ranks. I can definitely see W/P hanging around longer if no one else in Canadian ice dance is challenging them.

Debrah

Well, there will be lot more room at top after 2018 Olympics. Problem is couple's are retiring even now far earlier than they should, lots giving up faster than speeding bullet's, so who knows who will be left dancing at 2018/19 worlds?

Folks are also underestimating just how good W/P, G/P and even non Canadian dancer's like C/L are, likely because these teams did not make the finals. But I wonder if that has made them all just hungrier to win, since they are being forced to become even better, and much faster than they may have expected, simply to compete with the incomparable Scott and Tessa at home, and the less experienced but hugely talented French team internationally. Oh yeah let's not forget the mad politicking for all the American and Russian teams too, to stay in the mix!

However, IMO, instead of everyone giving up/whining at what they think is bad luck, insurmountable odds, all these other teams should quit wringing their hands and see this as huge motivation to grow their own scores mostly under the radar of expectation, and not view it as an obstacle to own success. Hey, even P/C should be thanking V/M because it's better to find out now that they still have some issues to work on when under pressure, and certainly pressure will be far more intense in Korea, something Scott and Tessa already know.

Success IS achieving PB scores, being the very best dancer you can be in the moment, great if that PB brings a medal, but honestly, isn't a great performance that is remembered/discussed by fans for years and by being the very best you can be when it counts, all noteworthy enough, till it's your own time to be in the spotlight and reap the rewards of all your hard work?

Teams currently in the shadows should try to remain patient and use this time to observe, to learn, improve, perfect and most importantly to grow their own fan bases, and reputation for excellence with the judges. Every team currently competing should all aspire to become as consistent under pressure as Scott and Tessa are. Talent, great programs, packaging or even great politicking is not always the primary factor of who wins gold medals and fan heart's, usually it is not always the very best skater's or dancer's who win gold, it's who delivers consistently day in and day out esp., when it counts under pressure and weight of expectation who usually takes home the gold.

Did we love Scott and Tessa any less when they came 2nd in Sochi, many folks thought it was a golden performance too, and honestly for me it was perhaps far more note worthy than even 2010 because they DID NOT GIVE UP even when momentum shifted to D/W and the Russians. Did they give in to subtle sabotage behind the scenes, health issues, program issues, etc.. NO, they just worked harder to be the best dancer's they could be under the crappy circumstances they found themselves in. They took the sow's ear of a program and they simply made it into a silk purse. They could have just done enough for a medal and skated off into the sunset, but no, they simply recognized what had to be done, what the expectations were, and then they just went and exceeded them. Just like they are doing all over again, no one would have faulted them for taking more time to get back on their game and into full out competitive form, but instead of accepting that the French were on top and likely to stay there, they simply got down to work again to become their best selves at this given point in time. But, you can bet money they have also taken note of where they can still improve and where/how to build toward Finland and Korea. I also expect them to up difficulty dramatically, so I also expect a bumpy ride while they perfect and cook things.

Others should take a page from their "never give up, never say die, always together" attitude, and just quit whining about how full the podium is looking and go to work, to be on it too, I say "dwell in possibility" for a change.

Some have been critical of Moir's competitive nature, I for one applaud it, and I also love his perfectionist nature and the fact he has been stepping into the spotlight more and more as a strong macho and more emotional partner for the lovely Tessa. I think he is quite motivated about now and dearly wants to compete for the implied "best male ice dancer" folks have currently awarded to Mr Cizeron, LOL!!! Hey, instead of giving up and skating for silver, the way the rest of the field has done, Tessa and Scott have come out guns blazing, using P/C as motivation to improve, to be their own best selves, in own evolving way, not as pale P/C imitations and not as an obstacle to their own goals.

As dance fans, we should be thanking V/M for giving everyone else the same opportunity, to get better, to evolve and grow, in order to stay relevant and hopefully to give us all the best possible ice dance event in the history of dance, come 2018 Olympics.

Perhaps Canada will have another Golden World/Olympic moment to cheer about and if W/P manage their own comeback as efficiently or G/P be able to ascend the ranks sooner rather than later, or if their successors also get the V/M memo, then Canada will be cheering for many cycles to come...

I said thanks to Scott in person at SCI, but after one of the best dance GPF event's I can remember, I just want to write it again here, THANKS for convincing Tessa to come back, and for both of you being courageous enough to deal with all the craziness, and the flame wars, the sacrifice's needed to be at your best, but most of all for giving ice dance a good kick in the pants and showing the young skater's what it takes to become and then to remain as ICONS and CHAMPIONS, even when things don't go to plan...I am in awe.

Last edited:

barbarafan

Well, there will be lot more room at top after 2018 Olympics. Problem is couple's are retiring even now far earlier than they should, lots giving up faster than speeding bullet's, so who knows who will be left dancing at 2018/19 worlds?

Folks are also underestimating just how good W/P, G/P and even non Canadian dancer's like C/L are, likely because these teams did not make the finals. But I wonder if that has made them all just hungrier to win, since they are being forced to become even better, and much faster than they may have expected, simply to compete with the incomparable Scott and Tessa at home, and the less experienced but hugely talented French team internationally. Oh yeah let's not forget the mad politicking for all the American and Russian teams too, to stay in the mix!

However, IMO, instead of everyone giving up/whining at what they think is bad luck, insurmountable odds, all these other teams should quit wringing their hands and see this as huge motivation to grow their own scores mostly under the radar of expectation, and not view it as an obstacle to own success. Hey, even P/C should be thanking V/M because it's better to find out now that they still have some issues to work on when under pressure, and certainly pressure will be far more intense in Korea, something Scott and Tessa already know.

Success IS achieving PB scores, being the very best dancer you can be in the moment, great if that PB brings a medal, but honestly, isn't a great performance that is remembered/discussed by fans for years and by being the very best you can be when it counts, all noteworthy enough, till it's your own time to be in the spotlight and reap the rewards of all your hard work?

Teams currently in the shadows should try to remain patient and use this time to observe, to learn, improve, perfect and most importantly to grow their own fan bases, and reputation for excellence with the judges. Every team currently competing should all aspire to become as consistent under pressure as Scott and Tessa are. Talent, great programs, packaging or even great politicking is not always the primary factor of who wins gold medals and fan heart's, usually it is not always the very best skater's or dancer's who win gold, it's who delivers consistently day in and day out esp., when it counts under pressure and weight of expectation who usually takes home the gold.

Did we love Scott and Tessa any less when they came 2nd in Sochi, many folks thought it was a golden performance too, and honestly for me it was perhaps far more note worthy than even 2010 because they DID NOT GIVE UP even when momentum shifted to D/W and the Russians. Did they give in to subtle sabotage behind the scenes, health issues, program issues, etc.. NO, they just worked harder to be the best dancer's they could be under the crappy circumstances they found themselves in. They took the sow's ear of a program and they simply made it into a silk purse. They could have just done enough for a medal and skated off into the sunset, but no, they simply recognized what had to be done, what the expectations were, and then they just went and exceeded them. Just like they are doing all over again, no one would have faulted them for taking more time to get back on their game and into full out competitive form, but instead of accepting that the French were on top and likely to stay there, they simply got down to work again to become their best selves at this given point in time. But, you can bet money they have also taken note of where they can still improve and where/how to build toward Finland and Korea. I also expect them to up difficulty dramatically, so I also expect a bumpy ride while they perfect and cook things.

Others should take a page from their "never give up, never say die, always together" attitude, and just quit whining about how full the podium is looking and go to work, to be on it too, I say "dwell in possibility" for a change.

Some have been critical of Moir's competitive nature, I for one applaud it, and I also love his perfectionist nature and the fact he has been stepping into the spotlight more and more as a strong macho and more emotional partner for the lovely Tessa. I think he is quite motivated about now and dearly wants to compete for the implied "best male ice dancer" folks have currently awarded to Mr Cizeron, LOL!!! Hey, instead of giving up and skating for silver, the way the rest of the field has done, Tessa and Scott have come out guns blazing, using P/C as motivation to improve, to be their own best selves, in own evolving way, not as pale P/C imitations and not as an obstacle to their own goals.

As dance fans, we should be thanking V/M for giving everyone else the same opportunity, to get better, to evolve and grow, in order to stay relevant and hopefully to give us all the best possible ice dance event in the history of dance, come 2018 Olympics.

Perhaps Canada will have another Golden World/Olympic moment to cheer about and if W/P manage their own comeback as efficiently or G/P be able to ascend the ranks sooner rather than later, or if their successors also get the V/M memo, then Canada will be cheering for many cycles to come...

I said thanks to Scott in person at SCI, but after one of the best dance GPF event's I can remember, I just want to write it again here, THANKS for convincing Tessa to come back, and for both of you being courageous enough to deal with all the craziness, and the flame wars, the sacrifice's needed to be at your best, but most of all for giving ice dance a good kick in the pants and showing the young skater's what it takes to become and then to remain as ICONS and CHAMPIONS, even when things don't go to plan...I am in awe.

ITA...but I did not hear any whining..they just quit ice dancing...I think Skate Canada needs a big kick in the butt because it is costing these teams so much to train at a high level and SC should be helping more...Maybe some of the teams would of just changed coaches and training centres to change things around and get a fresh start but if they are living at home, or have partime jobs they would have had to leave it is not possible to survive due to finances.I totally mourn those couples who have left.

NorthernDancers

ITA...but I did not hear any whining..they just quit ice dancing...I think Skate Canada needs a big kick in the butt because it is costing these teams so much to train at a high level and SC should be helping more...Maybe some of the teams would of just changed coaches and training centres to change things around and get a fresh start but if they are living at home, or have partime jobs they would have had to leave it is not possible to survive due to finances.I totally mourn those couples who have left.

Exactly. There are a lot of factors that keep skaters in or out of the sport. Sometimes the best skaters stay in and make it to the top. But there are just as many or more other very talented skaters that don't get the opportunity to stay. Sometimes it's difficulty finding the right partner. Sometimes the body just doesn't cooperate, and injury knocks them out of the sport for good. The demands of the sport are much greater now, and it's harder to stay in the sport until 30's, which used to be really normal in ice dance. Sometimes a team just stagnates, and without real improvement, maybe a team has reached its potential and it's time to stop. Sometimes it's finances. And sometimes really good teams who may be "the future" just can't justify staying in the sport long term where there are no guarantees and hundreds of thousands of dollars invested. The ROI on skating is not there for most ice dance teams. That's not whining. That's being realistic. There must be the right partnership, opportunity, and financing, and then a great training environment. Without these things, I can see why teams would retire and go to school and get on with their lives. It's a really tough thing for skaters who are really, really passionate about their sport.

Skate Canada needs to do a MUCH better job of identifying some of the core elements of talent - musicality, teachability, passion for the sport, sense of movement, work ethic, etc - at a MUCH younger age. Skills are teachable, and it is sometimes hard to identify the long-term winners at a really young age due to differences in growth spurts/coordination, physical maturity, etc. But the core elements are usually there at the beginning. We need to take care of the early and late bloomers. The new LTAD plan is working to address some of this. But we really need a good long-term funding plan to go along with it, and a really good mentorship program. And of course increasing, better international development opportunities as the skaters get older and are not part of the top 5 yet.

Shamus

A potential new partnership, currently trying out Brianna Del Maestro and Dimitre Razgulajers.
The new talented team of Soucisse and Firus have qualified for the final flight at Nationals

barbarafan

A potential new partnership, currently trying out Brianna Del Maestro and Dimitre Razgulajers.
The new talented team of Soucisse and Firus have qualified for the final flight at Nationals

hope they go out west to train.brianna and dimitri
luv Souciss and Firus

Debrah

I did not mean to imply athlete's who have decided to move on from skating were whining. Teams move on for a lot of different reasons, and most have to do with money, or partnership or health issues, for some its about not having fun anymore, it's not just because OMG Scott and Tessa have returned, OR that the French are likely also considered podium locks, it seems that more and more teams are locked in battle for whatever spoils are left, either internationally or domestically. The feeling that the podium positions won't be changing much might apply to the USA as much as Canada. Does that mean that teams currently ranked below top 3 have no shot or that changes in present ranking hierarchy are pretty much locked? I say no way should any team rely on status quo. Things do change in ice dance now. My point was more for those still competing, who are frustrated by the perceived apparent lack of movement, or available podium space in dance and perhaps being faced with a longer, or more difficult up hill climb than certain teams may have expected, but instead of giving in to doubt fears please try learning from Scott and Tessa's journey; perhaps how to take lemons you are handed in life and yet still be able to make lemonade... I mean 20 years ago Davis & White over taking Belbin & Agosto or the Shibs overtaking Chock and Bates so suddenly, or French moving from 13th to 1st in World, would have been nearly impossible to imagine, now though, I think anything might happen, sure a lot is still taken for granted hearts and minds are difficult to change, but if a team has the right stuff and wants it badly enough and trains hard then anything is possible.

I think it's important for young athlete's to learn how to manage obstacles properly, to seek to dwell in possibility and not give in to negativity, when dreams don't go to plan. But taking stock and staying strong in face of so much judgment is very hard to do, and sadly most skater's will never wear World let alone Olympic gold, that is the harsh reality of sport. I don't believe in magic fixes, I believe if you want a different outcome you have to 1st look at your weaknesses and address them and put in the work to fix the things you can, but one has to be realistic too, know exactly what it is you want to accomplish and why you are in the sport (not to please somebody else, but for yourself, because you can't imagine NOT skating and training). if you can be satisfied just with applause, or the joy you get from loving what you do, esp., if the medals don't happen, then carry on. If you have the passion to do what needs to be done to achieve a realistic outcome based on talents and own aspirations and available resources, try to follow V/M playbook if you can train smart and work hard to improve. But putting the onus for success on new coaches, costumes, programs without doing the necessary work, or cheating, bribing, or arranging for knee whacks to your competitor's etc., should not be considered as magic bullets that will take you to the top, or keep you there, just sayin wink wink.

barbarafan -- I also wish Skate Canada was doing more to directly help and better fund the athletes...I think better efforts should be made to fundraise too, as confers are looking pretty bare these days, and it wouldn't surprise me to know that money there is available, doesn't always go where it should.

Sometimes they do get it right for example I loved the time Skate Canada rented out stuffed animals to throw on the ice, they kept recycling them, all during the event, you made a donation - whatever you could afford, then picked up a bunch of the stuffed things from a box, to throw at your fav skater after a performance. It was an inspired idea really, and an easy one to implement. It worked great - luggage weight restrictions, or time crunches, not everyone can bring these type of things with them anymore, (ok Japanese fans always manage to do this), but perhaps we Canadians are not as ready to shop or pay airlines big bucks for extra weight, plus we likely need space for all the extra clothes we have to bring to survive Winter in Canada LOL!!! But to get back on point that was a fun and fairly easy way to raise some money and it also gave flower kids something to do. Sometimes it can be just as effective to hit 5000 people up for a couple of bucks, than it is to go to huge effort to find just a few folks that are in position to make large donations. In any case I like you, would like to see more focus on funding and identifying young athletes, helping them to reach their potentials and keep them in the sport.

barbarafan

I did not mean to imply athlete's who have decided to move on from skating were whining. Teams move on for a lot of different reasons, and most have to do with money, or partnership or health issues, for some its about not having fun anymore, it's not just because OMG Scott and Tessa have returned, OR that the French are likely also considered podium locks, it seems that more and more teams are locked in battle for whatever spoils are left, either internationally or domestically. The feeling that the podium positions won't be changing much might apply to the USA as much as Canada. Does that mean that teams currently ranked below top 3 have no shot or that changes in present ranking hierarchy are pretty much locked? I say no way should any team rely on status quo. Things do change in ice dance now. My point was more for those still competing, who are frustrated by the perceived apparent lack of movement, or available podium space in dance and perhaps being faced with a longer, or more difficult up hill climb than certain teams may have expected, but instead of giving in to doubt fears please try learning from Scott and Tessa's journey; perhaps how to take lemons you are handed in life and yet still be able to make lemonade... I mean 20 years ago Davis & White over taking Belbin & Agosto or the Shibs overtaking Chock and Bates so suddenly, or French moving from 13th to 1st in World, would have been nearly impossible to imagine, now though, I think anything might happen, sure a lot is still taken for granted hearts and minds are difficult to change, but if a team has the right stuff and wants it badly enough and trains hard then anything is possible.

I think it's important for young athlete's to learn how to manage obstacles properly, to seek to dwell in possibility and not give in to negativity, when dreams don't go to plan. But taking stock and staying strong in face of so much judgment is very hard to do, and sadly most skater's will never wear World let alone Olympic gold, that is the harsh reality of sport. I don't believe in magic fixes, I believe if you want a different outcome you have to 1st look at your weaknesses and address them and put in the work to fix the things you can, but one has to be realistic too, know exactly what it is you want to accomplish and why you are in the sport (not to please somebody else, but for yourself, because you can't imagine NOT skating and training). if you can be satisfied just with applause, or the joy you get from loving what you do, esp., if the medals don't happen, then carry on. If you have the passion to do what needs to be done to achieve a realistic outcome based on talents and own aspirations and available resources, try to follow V/M playbook if you can train smart and work hard to improve. But putting the onus for success on new coaches, costumes, programs without doing the necessary work, or cheating, bribing, or arranging for knee whacks to your competitor's etc., should not be considered as magic bullets that will take you to the top, or keep you there, just sayin wink wink.

barbarafan -- I also wish Skate Canada was doing more to directly help and better fund the athletes...I think better efforts should be made to fundraise too, as confers are looking pretty bare these days, and it wouldn't surprise me to know that money there is available, doesn't always go where it should.

Sometimes they do get it right for example I loved the time Skate Canada rented out stuffed animals to throw on the ice, they kept recycling them, all during the event, you made a donation - whatever you could afford, then picked up a bunch of the stuffed things from a box, to throw at your fav skater after a performance. It was an inspired idea really, and an easy one to implement. It worked great - luggage weight restrictions, or time crunches, not everyone can bring these type of things with them anymore, (ok Japanese fans always manage to do this), but perhaps we Canadians are not as ready to shop or pay airlines big bucks for extra weight, plus we likely need space for all the extra clothes we have to bring to survive Winter in Canada LOL!!! But to get back on point that was a fun and fairly easy way to raise some money and it also gave flower kids something to do. Sometimes it can be just as effective to hit 5000 people up for a couple of bucks, than it is to go to huge effort to find just a few folks that are in position to make large donations. In any case I like you, would like to see more focus on funding and identifying young athletes, helping them to reach their potentials and keep them in the sport.

Money, Money, Money ...when they swept the shelves at Skate Canada they got rid of some great people....did they not bring in anybody with vision and great money making ideas so they could help our athletes more? When a talented skater or team reports that they are done is there no followup and discussion to see if their problem is something that is fixable? Maybe a one time only relocation allotment. We need money given to the younger developement skaters and teams. I think we had 66 junior ladies ,,not so many junior men though..is this because so many gave up on triple axel..how many have beautiful skating skills and reliable jumps? is enough being done to identify earlier and ask them to try pairs or dance? Not to mention the large percent of Canadian families who could only dream of being able to afford letting them have skating lessons. How many potential champions never get near an arena?..ok I will shut up now because my Pollyana complex has too many ideas running around my head. Thank-you for your post Deb

jersey1302

Yeah $ is a huge issue. I stopped skating purely because of the $. There was no way to keep going on. I was at the level where we either go full in or stop. And I decided to stop. Now also in saying that I only started skatng when I was 15 years old. I was testing for my sr silver free skate in SC terms.. or basically thats pre novice/novice level by the time I was 17. Being that age and not a jr or sr i thought to my self whats the point of wasting money when other elite skaters are done at 21-15 yrs old. I;m sure there are MANY great skaters in Canada that can be developed into champions but the funds dont exist like they do in hockey or anything. Its unfortunate because Canada is a country that should be producing consistent world championship caliber skaters in every single discipline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information