Callaghan suspended over sexual abuse allegations

Tinami Amori

Look who is the head coach at the Ice House where Morosov is listed as a coach
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/92e035_25825875d54d4860ab035aaf85ac25ef.pdf

As they say in Hamilton says "everything's legal in New Jersey" :confused:
Morozov, given the affairs we know, NEVER a) had relationship with a woman who was a minor.. all his ladies are consenting adults.. b) never had relationships with a US citizen.... and yet it is the Americans who are most concerned what a Russian citizen does with foreign girls who find him attractive... And he is quite handsome even for his age...
http://fs-gossips.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/davankova-morozov-640x307.jpg
... and when he travels or works abroad, his 19 year old wife Vasilisa who is college now, sends him sexy fotos every day.. and he replies "I miss you honey, hope you're flying over to see me soon".
https://www.instagram.com/vdavankova/

Nadya

I don't know where you come up with these assumptions of "evil powerful men". I never met a man who has more power than me (except physically stronger sometimes). Some were taller, stronger, had more money, higher in rank at work, critical service providers and professionals in the areas i have no expertise in... But they don't have any power over me or other women, what power? what can he do to me in a relationship with more money or a better job? nothing.. if there are laws that protect your from violence, theft, etc... Even if he has more money and can skip on me out of town on a private jet, i'd be just as upset if he ran out of my apartment on foot eating my last cookie...
And in bed, when you turn off the lights, it's not about power, unless one is into S&M.. you're both naked, horizontal at times, and doing fun stuff.

If the man you're sleeping with is in charge of your academic grades, your work assignments, your reviews, your performance rating, your progress, your promotions, your billable hours, your work trips, your pay raises, and your career opportunities, he most certainly has more power than you. And that happens to be the reason romantic relationships in this context are frowned upon or outright banned.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
U.S. Figure Skating tried to discourage Maurizi from doing that interview. They still don't get it! :lynch:

I can't imagine why anyone at USFS would think this was a smart move. If Maurizi is lying (which I don't believe he is, given the others that have publicly described similar behaviour), let him tell his lies and get caught out. If he isn't lying, then telling him to STFU makes USFS look even more like it has even worse things to hide.

And as for Todd.....as we know, ice rinks are gossipy places. Maurizi described a lot of events that involved other skaters and Callaghan, as well as what happened to him personally. I can't imagine that Todd, being as closely involved with Callaghan as he is/was, wouldn't have at least heard about some of these events, even if he himself didn't have that kind of relationship with Callaghan.

FWIW I think the media should be going after him, as @Louis suggests. If he knew about this and chose to turn a blind eye for this many years, he should be called out too.

Tinami Amori

If the man you're sleeping with is in charge of your academic grades, your work assignments, your reviews, your performance rating, your progress, your promotions, your billable hours, your work trips, your pay raises, and your career opportunities, he most certainly has more power than you.
Just because a man has more power than you, does not mean he'll use it against you if relationship end. Look at who the person is before sleeping with him in such circumstances and make sure he is not a jerk. Because a jerk is a jerk, does not matter where you met him. But assuming in advance that "men in power are probably jerks" is just that, a subjective assumption. As pointed out by others, Megan and Bruno (CAN) are doing just fine.... and so are many others in sim relationship.

So he and Davankova just magically happened to fall in love, start a relationship, and get married, all on Davankova's 18th birthday. Yeah, sure, whatever.
They married shortly after they started an affair. She was older than 16, which is legal age in Russia (and NJ where he works now)... So no law was broken when she started pinching his butt in front of Elena.... :D

LeafOnTheWind

It you want a thread on why these relationships are frowned upon it might be a good idea to start one in PI. By the way, it's not just about the 2 people involved. If I'm a student not sleeping with a professor and doing the same work as the student sleeping with a professor there will be major problems if I get a B and she gets an A. Same with work reviews, etc. The third parties looking in are affected as well if there are unfair promotions, grades, reviews because of the love affair.

Tinami Amori

It you want a thread on why these relationships are frowned upon it might be a good idea to start one in PI. By the way, it's not just about the 2 people involved. If I'm a student not sleeping with a professor and doing the same work as the student sleeping with a professor there will be major problems if I get a B and she gets an A. Same with work reviews, etc. The third parties looking in are affected as well if there are unfair promotions, grades, reviews because of the love affair.
Now that's something for consideration, it's a practical issue, and not "estimates on emotions and personal stuff".

Japanfan

I don't know where you come up with these assumptions of "evil powerful men". I never met a man who has more power than me (except physically stronger sometimes).

If you look back to my previous posts, I noted that this was exactly what you were going to say.

In another thread on a similar topic (Weinstein, maybe?) you commented that should anyone try to assault you, you'd just slug him a good one (I paraphrase). I pointed out that the person involved might slug you a good one, and being bigger and stronger than you, knock you out cold. Or do you have advanced training in a martial art? (a good idea for all women and I think Wendo is the one that focuses on women's self-defense).

Also, could you share some of whatever it is you are smoking?

Last edited:

Willin

@misskarne But maybe life really is an old school Disney Princess movie?

(In all seriousness I find that relationship creepy and troubling as heck. While Bruno/Meagan were coach and student, they were much closer in age and didn't start to date until Meagan was 25 and he was 34 and even then didn't marry until they'd dated for 5 years! I doubt Morozov waited that long - if he had it meant he started when she was 13)

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
They married shortly after they started an affair. She was older than 16, which is legal age in Russia (and NJ where he works now)... So no law was broken when she started pinching his butt in front of Elena.... :D

You stated he'd never had an affair with a minor. At 16 Davankova was legally a minor in both the US and Russia. Being a minor and the age of consent are two completely different things - and in New Jersey if the affair is between a minor above the age of consent and someone in a position of power over the said minor - like their coach - it is still statutory rape.

WildRose

I don't have a whole lot to add here, but I do remember this being a big story for about a week following the 1999 Worlds-- just a few days after the event was over or maybe even while the event was finishing up IIRC. I was 12 at the time, but even then I thought it was weird how it (quickly) just went away and everyone seemed to go on their happy paths.

Fast forward to now, and I agree that USFS needs an investigation not only into then (even with a 60-day rule), but also present day figuring out why they still want things to be hush-hush. The federation needed a major overhaul to begin with, but I'd guess this is really going to send things over the top.

But, until then, as they suggest, #getup :rolleyes:

I remember it being a hot topic of conversation on skating boards at the time but then the story just went away. IRC, some of Todd’s fans were pretty upset that Callaghan was accused.
I will always admire those who spoke up in 1999. Susie Wynne, in the midst of a successful TV commentating career, was willing to speak up and say she believed Craig Maurizi. She risked a lot by going public with her support. I respected her then and will always respect for taking a stand.

Time is BEYOND UP in this case. As for hoping the media doesn't go after Todd.... At some point, he and everyone else who vigorously defended Callaghan must be held accountable for their complicit behavior. I hope to god no one has suffered because of the "technicalities" that stopped this case from proceeding nearly 20 years ago. And I hope the spineless USFS leadership at the time feels the weight on their conscience every damn day.
Todd may very well be a victim. I would hate to see him victimized again in the media. If they are able to proceed without him, I don’t see the sense of dragging him through it again.

LeafOnTheWind

Now that's something for consideration, it's a practical issue, and not "estimates on emotions and personal stuff".
It's the one least discussed by people in general but I can almost guarantee it that it's the reason why policies are in place in schools and workplaces. The third parties affected by unfair practices can sue the crap out of a place that ignores the issues.

BTW, I forgot to ask my original question in this thread. How old was Todd when all this was taking place and how long was he a student of Callaghan? Could Callaghan have affected Todd's ability to see what was really happening if he had his trust and "groomed" him too?

starrynight

It's a bit depressing to be picking through the precise legalities of things. One would expect top coaches to seek strong respect and control and honestly fooling around with your students is a fast way to undermine your own reputation.

It's done Morozov no good at all. He's now basically in the Siberia of the skating world training only a few skaters who had limited alternative options.

Last edited:

bladesofgorey

And as for Todd.....as we know, ice rinks are gossipy places. Maurizi described a lot of events that involved other skaters and Callaghan, as well as what happened to him personally. I can't imagine that Todd, being as closely involved with Callaghan as he is/was, wouldn't have at least heard about some of these events, even if he himself didn't have that kind of relationship with Callaghan.

FWIW I think the media should be going after him, as @Louis suggests. If he knew about this and chose to turn a blind eye for this many years, he should be called out too.

People need to remember that Eldridge started training with Callaghan when he was a 10 year old child, and whether or not he was aware of what Callaghan was doing to other skaters, even if (and that's a big if) if Callaghan hadn't behaved inappropriately during their decades long relationship, this feels a little like victim-blaming to me. Obviously having a mentor who is abusive does bad things to a child's head and can really mess with their sense of self and understanding of the world/boundaries/themselves. Maurizi is proof of that- Callaghan did lasting damage, yet it took years for Maurizi to fully grasp the ramifications and break the incredibly close ties to Callaghan that he still had as an adult, both personally and professionally. IMO Eldridge may also be a victim here and though his defense of Callaghan is unfair to other victims, past and potential, I'm extremely uncomfortable with calling him as one of the villains in all this. I also think if Callaghan also initiated an inappropriate and/or abusive relationship with him, Eldridge isn't under any obligation to share that with the world or otherwise process it in public.

Vagabond

I can't imagine why anyone at USFS would think this was a smart move. If Maurizi is lying (which I don't believe he is, given the others that have publicly described similar behaviour), let him tell his lies and get caught out. If he isn't lying, then telling him to STFU makes USFS look even more like it has even worse things to hide.
Take it away, Aly Raisman:
Their biggest priority from the beginning and still today is their reputation, the medals they win and the money they make off of us
Beyond that, I would venture a guess that officials' personal friendships with Callaghan, a reluctance to examine one's own previous failure to take action, and a fear of what other unpleasant information might be out there are factors too.

Nadya

Just because a man has more power than you, does not mean he'll use it against you if relationship end. Look at who the person is before sleeping with him in such circumstances and make sure he is not a jerk. Because a jerk is a jerk, does not matter where you met him. But assuming in advance that "men in power are probably jerks" is just that, a subjective assumption. As pointed out by others, Megan and Bruno (CAN) are doing just fine.... and so are many others in sim relationship.

Perfectly reasonable people turn into jerks all the time, and if it was possible to predict it ahead of time, the world would not have the divorce rate that it does.

The relationship doesn't have to end for this to affect other people very badly. If my professor is sleeping with a student in my class, do I have to wonder if he's spreading opportunities unequally to others because of this bias? If my VP is sleeping with a line manager (which I also am) in my team, do I have to wonder if she's getting a better performance rating, better opportunities and a better pay raise than me because their relationship? If a coach has to choose one student out of twenty to go to a competition or receive a scholarship, do I have to wonder why he's choosing student A (that he or she is sleeping with) and not student B (equally good but not sleeping with him/her?)

It's impossible to be objective in these scenarios, and it's impossible to guarantee fairness to other subordinates who happen to NOT be sleeping with the boss. Resources are limited and need to be doled out based on fairness, not body fluids.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
People need to remember that Eldridge started training with Callaghan when he was a 10 year old child, and whether or not he was aware of what Callaghan was doing to other skaters, even if (and that's a big if) if Callaghan hadn't behaved inappropriately during their decades long relationship, this feels a little like victim-blaming to me. Obviously having a mentor who is abusive does bad things to a child's head and can really mess with their sense of self and understanding of the world/boundaries/themselves. Maurizi is proof of that- Callaghan did lasting damage, yet it took years for Maurizi to fully grasp the ramifications and break the incredibly close ties to Callaghan that he still had as an adult, both personally and professionally. IMO Eldridge may also be a victim here and though his defense of Callaghan is unfair to other victims, past and potential, I'm extremely uncomfortable with calling him as one of the villains in all this. I also think if Callaghan also initiated an inappropriate and/or abusive relationship with him, Eldridge isn't under any obligation to share that with the world or otherwise process it in public.

Sorry if this feels like victim blaming to you - that was not my intention. I understand that it would be difficult for Eldredge to speak out, especially as he had a professional relationship with Callaghan for many years after he
was no longer being coached by him. But *if* Eldredge knew about what was going on, and kept quiet - when others made complaints about behaviour that he may have known about - he bears some responsibility IMO.

Debbie S

But *if* Eldredge knew about what was going on, and kept quiet - when others made complaints about behaviour that he may have known about - he bears some responsibility IMO.
Sorry, I'm with blades on this. If Todd was in a coaching capacity and people came to him with reports of abuse by Callaghan and he did nothing, then yes, he should be investigated for failing to report the abuse, if he was required to do so. But the allegations Maurizi details took place in the 80s and early 90s, when Todd was a teenager and very young adult, and was a fellow skater, not in a position of authority. Saying Todd coulda, shoulda, woulda at that time is like saying that about the gymnasts who were abused by Nassar (or heard others talking about it - supposedly, the girls from WOGA were not abused) and initially defended him or didn't speak up right away. As a teenager, even if Todd witnessed inappropriate behavior by Callaghan, he wouldn't have been in a position to speak out against it. And there hasn't been any evidence that Todd was a witness. Maurizi has never named him. And in 1999, Todd was still competing.

Re Morozov coaching at Hackensack...yes, it does seem bizarre that he coaches where Maurizi is the skating director, but if the rink has an open pro policy, which most rinks do, Maurizi wouldn't be able to prevent Morozov from teaching there, unless he had been convicted or indicted of a crime.

starrynight

Perfectly reasonable people turn into jerks all the time, and if it was possible to predict it ahead of time, the world would not have the divorce rate it does.

It's impossible to be objective in these scenarios, and it's impossible to guarantee fairness to other subordinates who happen to NOT be sleeping with the boss. Resources are limited and need to be doled out based on fairness, not body fluids.

Yes and you wonder if the split and difficulties with Elena and Nikita could have been worked out differently if their coach wasn't also so deeply personally involved in the whole situation and probably also acting emotionally. The long term consequences for their careers have been highly significant.

Tinami Amori

Also, could you share some of whatever it is you are smoking?
:D Canadian "Export A", sold in your local store. Try it. Better than Marlboro.

You stated he'd never had an affair with a minor. At 16 Davankova was legally a minor in both the US and Russia. Being a minor and the age of consent are two completely different things - and in New Jersey if the affair is between a minor above the age of consent and someone in a position of power over the said minor - like their coach - it is still statutory rape.

:D their affair did not start in NJ, or on US territory… so there. Don’t impose your country’s laws on other country’s citizens. But if it was in NJ…In New Jersey, the age of consent for sexual conduct is 16 years old. This applies to both heterosexual and homosexual conduct. As a general matter, this means that a person who is 16 years old can generally consent to have sex with any adult, regardless of age.”

It's done Morozov no good at all. He's now basically in the Siberia of the skating world training only a few skaters who had limited alternative options.
:D Canadian #2 Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje, Denis Ten and few others have no options?.... :lol:

If my VP is sleeping with a line manager (which I also am) in my team, do I have to wonder if she's getting a better performance rating, better opportunities and a better pay raise than me because their relationship? If a coach has to choose one student out of twenty to go to a competition or receive a scholarship, do I have to wonder why he's choosing student A (that he or she is sleeping with) and not student B (equally good but not sleeping with him/her?)

In a professional environment, that's the ONLY consideration. No one cares whether feelings are hurt at work.
Again, I agree. If private matters in professional situation affect “nose, wallet, private property of others”, it is a valid consideration. Private feelings and relationship dynamics between legal adults is nobody’s business, if do not affect others.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain

Correct - the law in NJ is that age of consent is 16 *except* when the older person is, as misskarne said, in a position of power over the younger, as in being their teacher or coach. Then, the age of consent is 18.

starrynight

Canadian #2 Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje, Denis Ten and few others have no options?.... :lol:

Denis Ten is now trained by Frank Carrol and the talk was that Weaver/Poje were basically turned away from every other North American training camp when they were looking to move. W/P have now added Galit Chait to their coaching team too.

I know we are sifting through the fine definitions of legality here, but really I don't think it's in doubt that that kind of behaviour with students makes a coach a very poor role model and is hardly going to make a coach a respected character and beloved figure in the skating community.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
their affair did not start in NJ, or on US territory… so there. Don’t impose your country’s laws on other country’s citizens. But if it was in NJ…In New Jersey, the age of consent for sexual conduct is 16 years old. This applies to both heterosexual and homosexual conduct. As a general matter, this means that a person who is 16 years old can generally consent to have sex with any adult, regardless of age.”

Where their affair started is irrelevant. If he was engaging in the conduct on US soil US laws apply.

Note the use of the word "generally" in that paragraph above? That's because there are occasions where a 16 year old is not considered able to consent. One of those situations is when the adult is in a position of power over them. Like a teacher or a coach.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Just my 2 cents here, If a coach has romantic or sexual feelings for a student, they ethically should discontinue the professional relationship to pursue the emotional relationship. Choosing to continue the power relationship while pursuing the emotional relationship is in my opinion an abuse situation regardless of age.

Japanfan

IMO Eldridge may also be a victim here and though his defense of Callaghan is unfair to other victims, past and potential, I'm extremely uncomfortable with calling him as one of the villains in all this. I also think if Callaghan also initiated an inappropriate and/or abusive relationship with him, Eldridge isn't under any obligation to share that with the world or otherwise process it in public.

I wouldn't call Eldridge a villain either. But I'm sure he is fully aware that sexual harassment and assault do happen in sport in general and figure skating in particular - even if he wasn't aware of Callaghan's inappropriate behaviour at the time (presuming that it actually happened).

It may be that Todd actually does believe Callaghan is innocent of what he's been alleged to do. But even so, if I were Todd's PR manager, I'd advise him to just keep quiet. If Callaghan is proven guilty or charged, the optics won't be good for Todd, especially given that he is a coach and should be putting the welfare of his students first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information