Callaghan suspended over sexual abuse allegations

Willin

@Tinami Amori But in order for an affair with a married person to happen, there needs to be an complicit married person. So shouldn't Morozov at least share the fault? Sure, Shae Lynn was wrong to have the affair, but Morozov was the one who was married - making it an affair in the first place.

Japanfan

@Tinami Amori But in order for an affair with a married person to happen, there needs to be an complicit married person. So shouldn't Morozov at least share the fault? Sure, Shae Lynn was wrong to have the affair, but Morozov was the one who was married - making it an affair in the first place.

Of course Morozov should have taken some of the blame.

I also don't like using the word 'wrong' to describe an extra-marital affair without knowing the circumstances (unless you want to a moral religious stance). There are many reasons why a person would have an extra-marital affair, starting off with there being problems in the marriage. In some case, the marriage may be entirely on the rocks already.

When I was in my 20s, a colleague came on to me the day after his wife had given birth. That I felt was wrong, because he should have been spending time with his baby and supporting his wife to recover from the birth.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Craig Maurizi just said on Fox News that U.S. Figure Skating encouraged him to file a report with Safe Sport.
According to the U.S. Figure skating responses to the recent Senate inquiries (link below), the organization automatically informs any person reporting an alleged incident of child abuse, sexual abuse or misconduct to "immediately and directly" report the allegations to local law enforcement and the U.S. Center for SafeSport. It says they follow up and if the report is not made by the party, they have one filed on behalf of U.S. Figure Skating. The document also includes other relevant information - physician reviews & assignments, NDAs (none for athletes, members, volunteers), timeline, etc.

https://www.moran.senate.gov/public...4D0.02.15.18---us-figure-skating-response.pdf

Last edited:

becca

I also don't like using the word 'wrong' to describe an extra-marital affair without knowing the circumstances (unless you want to a moral religious stance). There are many reasons why a person would have an extra-marital affair, starting off with there being problems in the marriage. In some case, the marriage may be entirely on the rocks already.

When I was in my 20s, a colleague came on to me the day after his wife had given birth. That I felt was wrong, because he should have been spending time with his baby and supporting his wife to recover from the birth.

I don’t think it is right to get involved with someone you know who is married. Clearly there are problems if someone is cheating but there is a reason someone hasn’t taken steps to end the marriage.

And at the end of the day you get involved with someone who’s reaction to problems in their relationship is to cheat rather than work on it or end it then guess what they will do to you.

Tinami Amori

People, come on..... OF COURSE Morozov should take the blame! half of the blame. Shae Lynn - is the other half. My objection is that only Morozov is blamed or mentioned. Marriage is a contract which includes fidelity clause. Divorce first, then have affairs. In love with a married person? wait for him/her to get a divorce or at least a separation. Both parties are guilty equally.

Japanfan

People, come on..... OF COURSE Morozov should take the blame! half of the blame. Shae Lynn - is the other half. My objection is that only Morozov is blamed or mentioned. Marriage is a contract which includes fidelity clause. Divorce first, then have affairs. In love with a married person? wait for him/her to get a divorce or at least a separation. Both parties are guilty equally.

That's good, common sense, but obviously real life doesn't always work that way. And sometimes married people have an affair precisely because their marriage is falling apart.

And other time, having affairs is a cultural norm, particularly for the men. This was the case in Greece and Japan some years ago, and I don't know if has changed since - I doubt it. I lived in Japan for some years, and of all the women I knew (we were mostly in our late 20s), I was the only one to have a boyfriend who wasn't married.

LarrySK8

Has the case faded into obscurity already? No one coming forth or public with complaints, rumors, allegations about Callaghan? Other than Maurizi, of course. No claims he was a predator protected by USFS? The door via SafeSport has been opened by Maurizi and no one is walking through.

:watch::watch::watch::watch::watch::watch::watch::watch:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
People, come on..... OF COURSE Morozov should take the blame! half of the blame. Shae Lynn - is the other half.

I disagree that the unmarried person should take half the blame. She isn't the one breaking vows. She is only enabling him to break his. So anywhere from 10-25% blame for that person. The rest is on the one who is cheating.

berthesghost

Has the case faded into obscurity already? No one coming forth or public with complaints, rumors, allegations about Callaghan? Other than Maurizi, of course. No claims he was a predator protected by USFS? The door via SafeSport has been opened by Maurizi and no one is walking through.

:watch::watch::watch::watch::watch::watch::watch::watch:
I know right. What’s the point of being the Harvey Weinstein of skating if the house of cards doesn’t blow over. Like it was just Richard, and only with Craig. Right. Sorry, not interested in the ocean front property in Iowa usfs has for sale.

mag

I disagree that the unmarried person should take half the blame. She isn't the one breaking vows. She is only enabling him to break his. So anywhere from 10-25% blame for that person. The rest is on the one who is cheating.

I was thinking about the blame part today when I was watching CNN and the talking heads her going on about how Melania Trump has been humiliated by Trump’s affairs. I got to thinking, why should she be humiliated? She didn’t do anything wrong. She is not in any way responsible for her husband’s behaviour. So really is the unmarried person to blame at all? No one is forced to have an affair. Everyone is responsible for their own behaviour.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

FFS. Just because something isn't happening in public doesn't mean it's not happening.

Japanfan

I was thinking about the blame part today when I was watching CNN and the talking heads her going on about how Melania Trump has been humiliated by Trump’s affairs. I got to thinking, why should she be humiliated? She didn’t do anything wrong. She is not in any way responsible for her husband’s behaviour. So really is the unmarried person to blame at all? No one is forced to have an affair. Everyone is responsible for their own behaviour.

She is humiliated because she's his wife, and his behavior reflects on her. His affairs are an insult to her dignity.

Now, I'm sure she knew what deal she signed up for when she married Trump. But she probably hoped he would be discreet about his extra-marital liaisons. And she certainly wouldn't have envisioned him become POTUS and having his entire life, including his 'love' life scrutinized under the microscope of the media.

I don't think Melania is the brightest bulb in the box, and one can say she got what was coming to her is seeking a life of wealth, status and luxury. But I don't think she has any malice in her heart, either, and get the sense she is miserable being First Lady.

Not that the world's smallest:violin:is weeping for her.

Japanfan

... i thought at least one woman's presence is required to conduct a proper fornication....:shuffle:

Yes, and so women participate in and contribute to the cultural norm.

I don't know who the woman are who participate in extra-marital affairs in countries like Greece and Japan. Maybe some are bored married women who find some excitement in being with a man other than their husband?

But I find that kind of hard to believe, given how beaten down some of those women are, or how they used to be in my perception. For example, I visited a family that was friends of my first husband's (Greek-born Greek) in Montreal when we came to Canada together (we met in Greece). The father in the family, a highly successful newspaper owner, was always away from home with his mistress. The couple had two sons with girlfriends who were screwing around on them, and one daughter who was soon to be pregnant from an Italian man who treated her like a worthless piece of property.

We were there in the summer, and one day the mother cooked a roast. It was mid-day, and who wants a roast dinner on a hot summer afternoon? The image of the mother standing by that roast is frozen in my mind. She was wearing the standard garb for Greek women of the time - flared skirt to the knees, with a frump shirt that went over the waist of the skirt. The image is engraved in my mind because it clearly indicated that she did not know what else to do with herself other than cook roast for her family - so sad. And that brings another memory to mind, that of my husband's mother, who would immediately get into motion with the fry pan the moment one her son entered her home (we lived elsewhere).

Getting back to the question of who the women are who have affairs with the married men. Well, it Japan it was often single Western women in the 20s. Since the Japanese men tended to marry young, Western women living in Japan who wanted some sort of romantic life often had to settle for those men.

Tinami Amori

If a person does not know the other one is married at the time when affair starts, learns of it later while already involved, then i would agree with you. But when one engages in an affair knowing that the other person is married, i think he/she is just as guilty. Given that marriage is a contract, and "fidelity" is one of the main conditions, any party who directly, willing and knowingly participates in breaking that contract, is guilty.

she is a birther which makes her malicious and likely racist. and ive been miserable since she's been first lady too so she can wait in line.
Trump's affairs, and Melania's "social stands" are nothing more than accusations, and attempts by bias media and the Left to discredit the First Family. There is not proof, like there is not proof with many other accusations, which turn out to be Fake News. so i guess :D you will have to stay miserable for at least 3 more years, if not longer.

Sylvia

TBD
PERSONS SUSPENDED PENDING FINAL HEARING PANEL OR U.S. CENTER FOR SAFE SPORT DETERMINATION.
Considering the nature of the charges and information provided with either the Grievance Statement or action taken by the U.S. Center for SafeSport, in accordance with the authority provided to the U.S. Figure Skating Ethics Committee Rule (ECR) 3.04 and pending a hearing contemplated by Article XXV, Section 3(B) or an action of the U.S. Center for SafeSport (Article XXV, Section 4) of the U.S. Figure Skating Bylaws, effective as of the date shown, membership in U.S. Figure Skating is suspended.

Eugene (Gene) Heffron ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Heffron ) was recently suspended, as published on USFS' website:
On March 21, 2018, the U.S. Center for SafeSport issued the following interim measure regarding U.S. Figure Skating member Eugene Heffron:

“SUSPENSION, beginning on March 21, 2018, Eugene Heffron is prohibited from participating, in any capacity, in any activity or competition authorized by, organized by, or under the auspices of the United States Olympic Committee, the national governing bodies recognized by the United States Olympic Committee, including US Figure Skating, and/or a Local Affiliated Organization of a national governing body recognized by the United States Olympic Committee.”

Pursuant to U.S. Figure Skating Bylaw Article XXV, Section 4, U.S. Figure Skating hereby suspends the membership of Eugene Heffron, beginning on March 21, 2018, pending final resolution of the matter by the U.S. Center for SafeSport.

Sylvia

TBD
Craig Maurizi testified today in Washington D.C. before the Senate Commerce Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, Insurance and Data Security: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/figure-skater-congress-reported-sexual-abuse/story?id=54564738
During the hearing, Maurizi expressed his dismay that no one stepped in to help him.
“When I think back to my particular situation there’s no way that dozens, if not hundreds of people didn’t know what was going on,” he said. “My question would be -- 'How do you live with yourself? How can you be so weak?'”
Maurizi also warned that predators still exist in the figure skating community.
“Rampant is a bit strong, but I’d say it’s very prevalent in the sport,” said Maurizi. "Coaches ... operate almost at complete autonomy. There's no mechanism in place.... Without any enforcement, people are able to do as they please."
Lawmakers, in turn, vowed to proceed with their investigation until they could get to the bottom of why the abuse was allowed to continue undeterred for so long.
“You were let down by individuals you trusted, but who chose to ignore you, to look the other way, or to deliberately cover up the abuses you suffered because their priorities, simply put, was not your safety or your well-being,” said Sen. Jerry Moran, R-Kan., who chaired the panel holding the hearing.
Maurizi closed with a direct appeal to lawmakers to exercise greater oversight of the federally chartered U.S. Olympic Committee.
“I respectfully ask you to find out why the USOC did nothing for decades while reports of child sexual abuse in many Olympic sports were ignored,” Maurizi said. “Who was responsible for this tragedy and how will they be held accountable?”
ETA - Jordyn Wieber and Jamie Dantzscher were the 2 gymnasts who also testified with Maurizi today -- I've posted a related article (USA Today) in this relevant thread in Other Sports: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-etc-news-updates.101248/page-12#post-5351919

Last edited:

LarrySK8

It seems like Maurizi can not prove his accusations are true at this time, and Callaghan is best served doing what he has been doing, saying nothing.

berthesghost

It seems like Maurizi can not prove his accusations are true at this time, and Callaghan is best served doing what he has been doing, saying nothing.
apparently it takes a village to abuse a child. At least he got his chance to call out all the people who decided he was just collateral damage in the all important task of propping up RC's sham of a career. Maybe something will actually change.

barbarafan

apparently it takes a village to abuse a child. At least he got his chance to call out all the people who decided he was just collateral damage in the all important task of propping up RC's sham of a career. Maybe something will actually change.

Do you really think it will change. We are right back to he said he said. The reason monsters get away with this shi**t is because one person has all the power and people always side with the people with the power. They threaten you..they threaten your family ...they undermine your confidence in yourself and life itself ..you do believe that you have no out, that no one will believe what happened. And guess what? You are right.

LarrySK8

Do you really think it will change. We are right back to he said he said. The reason monsters get away with this shi**t is because one person has all the power and people always side with the people with the power. They threaten you..they threaten your family ...they undermine your confidence in yourself and life itself ..you do believe that you have no out, that no one will believe what happened. And guess what? You are right.

It may be too late to help Maurizi, but the point he makes and the points you make are strong and they show a SYSTEM FAILURE in protecting the athletes. Multiple possible points of disclosure and chances to stop the abuse failed. This is similar to Sandusky, Nassar, etc - in each case, the SYSTEM failed to protect the victims.

Systemic overhaul is now needed to correct these failures from harming victims in the future.

Twilight1

Sexual abuse and the court system is woefully terrible to put it mildly. When I had a student placement, I was part of a support team and the defense attorney was a vile piece of shyte.

I could never do court advocacy work for victims of sexual violence because it took everything in me to not scream in the courtroom.

I feel so bad for the people who have to face the trauma of being abused/ assaulted and then being abused/ assaulted by a system that supports the accused and not the survivors.

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.

That's what is so strange to me. What exactly kind of proof does someone need? Pics? Vids of the actual sex? Maurizi made it sound like they were involved in a relationship for years. Couldn't someone around them corroborate their time together?

Last edited:

barbarafan

It may be too late to help Maurizi, but the point he makes and the points you make are strong and they show a SYSTEM FAILURE in protecting the athletes. Multiple possible points of disclosure and chances to stop the abuse failed. This is similar to Sandusky, Nassar, etc - in each case, the SYSTEM failed to protect the victims.

Systemic overhaul is now needed to correct these failures from harming victims in the future.

ITA.. Cleaning out the "Good Ole Boys" at the top is long overdue. New laws and rules need to be made. There needs to be more checks and balances.

nikjil

whether it is smart, productive, diverting from the training/study is another subject. and yes, in some cases it works or does not work, productive or not.... But it should NOT be a law "not to date" IF there are 2 adults of legal age (which is the original subject).

One of the problems with teach/student relationships even if truly consensual is it causes difficulties for everyone else. I went to a very small colleges (often only one professor per subject) with a reputation for teacher/student relationships. Even if I believed that relationships between older men (it was always the male professors who got involved with their students) and their male/female students in their late teens through mid-twenties was truly consensual, it created a perception or, in some cases, a reality of favoritism towards those students. Example: a student is being advised on her senior thesis by the only professor who teaches that field. The professor has a well-deserved reputation for attempting to seduce male students and lavishing lots of time and attention on them. She is having difficulties with her thesis and is trying to get an appointment with her advisor. She is unable to get an appointment for weeks because he is having multiple "teas," meetings and other functions with the male students he is interested in. This is a more subtle example, the obvious of course is student/teacher relationship, student getting undeserved good grades from that teacher. I can also remember instances of not being able to get into the only class offered in a particular subject that was required for me during a semester while the professor's significant other who did not need to take the class was given a spot.

Tinami Amori

Example: a student is being advised on her senior thesis by the only professor who teaches that field. The professor has a well-deserved reputation for attempting to seduce male students and lavishing lots of time and attention on them. She is having difficulties with her thesis and is trying to get an appointment with her advisor. She is unable to get an appointment for weeks because he is having multiple "teas," meetings and other functions with the male students he is interested in. This is a more subtle example, the obvious of course is student/teacher relationship, student getting undeserved good grades from that teacher. I can also remember instances of not being able to get into the only class offered in a particular subject that was required for me during a semester while the professor's significant other who did not need to take the class was given a spot.
This is a very unfair (yet hypothetical) situation, of course, and unprofessional.

But this situation is not about "two people having an affair" in a school setting. It is about teacher's bias towards a particular "group". In this case her bias is driven by "sexual interest", but it could have been anything... political lean, common interests, any other "prefs"...

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I'm pretty sure they didn't know...NBC is doing them a favor by framing the issue that way. I don't think gymnasts believe the Karolyis knew. They believe the Karolyis, (Martha, really) created a fraught atmosphere where they faced complete destruction of their dreams if they voiced the slightest dissent and where they were in such physical peril from the training methods that this horribly negligent doctor's care would seem better than it was.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I'm pretty sure they didn't know...NBC is doing them a favor by framing the issue that way. I don't think gymnasts believe the Karolyis knew. They believe the Karolyis, (Martha, really) created a fraught atmosphere where they faced complete destruction of their dreams if they voiced the slightest dissent and where they were in such physical peril from the training methods that this horribly negligent doctor's care would seem better than it was.

Given how strongly the Karolyis apparently controlled everything at that ranch, including what the gymnasts ate, how much they slept, how often they trained, etc. I have a very hard time believing they didn't know. Since they seemed to keep such a close eye on pretty much everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information