Broadway musicals

Which Broadway show would you recommend ?

• Aladdin

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Anastasia

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Cats

Votes: 10 10.4%
  • Charlie & the Chocolate Factory

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Hamilton

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • Miss Saigon

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • The Book of Mormon

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • The Phantom of the Opera

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Wicked

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other

Votes: 24 25.0%

• Total voters

screech

I was randomly reading about 50s/60s singer Dion DiMucci today on Wikipedia and discovered that they're making a musical about him called "The Wanderer" starring Joey McIntyre as Dion. Its run was supposed to start at the Paper Mill Playhouse at the end of May. I'm assuming that's being postponed.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I technically can reschedule my cancelled theatre tickets to late June and I'm trying to decide if rescheduling is wise.

4skating

I'm sure that you Broadway musical fans saw this already, but in case anyone missed it, check out the youtube event for Stephen Sondheim's 90th birthday this weekend. About 2.5 hrs of the best theater performers doing Sondheim's wonderful songs, from home with minimal accompaniment, as a fundraiser for an arts/food in school program.

A singular evening that I will not soon forget.

annie720

I'm sure that you Broadway musical fans saw this already, but in case anyone missed it, check out the youtube event for Stephen Sondheim's 90th birthday this weekend. About 2.5 hrs of the best theater performers doing Sondheim's wonderful songs, from home with minimal accompaniment, as a fundraiser for an arts/food in school program.

A singular evening that I will not soon forget.

I saw it and it was great! Fortunately, those watching now won't have to deal with the horrible technical issues that had the live show starting more than an hour late. It was pretty sad coming right after Kaitlyn Weaver's heroic effort on her fundraiser, but once it got going it was really good. It just had me feeling sorry for both Steven Schwartz and Esparza.

annie720

Musical theatre fans are fans of regular theatre, right? I actually posted this in an old National Theatre thread not realizing it had been archived. Whoops!

Anyway, National Theatre started streaming two highly-acclaimed 2011 performances of Frankenstein yesterday on Youtube. This is the production, directed by Danny Boyle, in which Benedict Cumberbatch and Johnny Lee Miller (pre-Sherlocks!) alternate playing the roles of Dr. Frankenstein and his creature. Last night had Cumberbatch playing the creature and the alternate version will stream today. It was a truly awesome production, though disturbing and difficult to watch at times. But man, really well done, and the performances are outstanding! We plan to watch at least the beginning tonight to see how each interprets the other role.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Great news! The film version of the original cast of Hamilton, scheduled for theatrical release in summer 2021, will be streamed on Disney Plus this July 3!

I've been resisting signing up for a free trial until The Falcon and the Winter Soldier comes out but this seems a much better and more time-certain use of it.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Great news! The film version of the original cast of Hamilton, scheduled for theatrical release in summer 2021, will be streamed on Disney Plus this July 3!

The post about it that I saw on Facebook displayed a graphic that stated "Original Broadway PRODUCTION" (also shown in the link above). There was an Internet kerfuffle earlier when the plans to show Hamilton mentioned OBC when announced. Betsy Struxness, who was part of the original cast but who is apparently not in the recorded performance, made a point of publicly attacking that advertisement.

VGThuy

I heard CBS is planning a Grease sing-a-long the night of the Tonys to make up for the fact that there won’t be a Tonys this year. I find that blah.

How about a bunch of us musical fans get together and schedule a best of Tony Award performances and play them via that YouTube shareable site and enjoy? I’d be happy to “host” it and put together a playlist of all of your suggestions. I have a lot of my own. Any excuse for me to show the under appreciated performance of Melba Moore in Purlie. They used to show scenes from plays too and I’d love to add them to the playlist.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Jeremy Jordan went off on the decision on Twitter, which delighted me. Someone hates Grease as much as I do! :lol: :respec:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
YouTube's going to air the Carrie Underwood Sound of Music for free. Because apparently, as one of my Facebook friends said, we haven't suffered enough. :lol:

screech

Andrew Rannells posted a screengrab from a Zoom with the original cast of Book of Mormon on his instagram (though no Nikki M James or Brian Tyree Henry, it seems to include most/all of the original missionaries, as well as the musical director). He captioned it "Hello! What do you think we are working on here?"
So hopefully some BOM content is coming...

VGThuy

Anybody watching or has already watched Hamilton on Disney+ today or plan to on this 4th of July weekend? I hope they film it well and capture what I saw on stage with the lighting, etc. I do think filming stage musicals has gotten so good in the past few years or so. The filmed production of the London transfer of the last Broadway production of The King and I was VERY well done. If only some of those London cast actors weren't so cartooney compared to the cast I saw in New York. and I miss that thrust stage from the Vivian Beaumont Theater at Lincoln Center (but I think having a classic proscenium stage worked better for the "Small House of Uncle Thomas" ballet).

annie720

Anybody watching or has already watched Hamilton on Disney+ today or plan to on this 4th of July weekend? I hope they film it well and capture what I saw on stage with the lighting, etc. I do think filming stage musicals has gotten so good in the past few years or so. The filmed production of the London transfer of the last Broadway production of The King and I was VERY well done. If only some of those London cast actors weren't so cartooney compared to the cast I saw in New York. and I miss that thrust stage from the Vivian Beaumont Theater at Lincoln Center (but I think having a classic proscenium stage worked better for the "Small House of Uncle Thomas" ballet).
Of course! DH and I are having a watch party tonight with one good friend. Serving Brandy Alexanders. :D I've also just prepared a trivia quiz on the founding fathers, especially their drinking habits. :)

Be aware if you have Xfinity - it does not support Disney Plus and you will need a workaround. I was bummed when we tested out Disney Plus yesterday and found it does not work with Xfinity. Geeeez. Fortunately we have Roku and can use that.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I plan to watch it. I've seen it twice in the theaters but with a traveling cast, not the original Broadway cast.

VGThuy

Even though I'm a huge theater nerd, it still amazes me how a cast can totally change how you view a piece of work. Hell, even a single actor. Trevor Eve in the BBC TV movie version of A Doll House has changed the way I view Torvald forever and is the way I prefer to see him portrayed.

Sarah

I’m watching Hamilton now. I’ve seen it 3 times: 1x on Broadway, 1x in Chicago, and 1x on tour. I think I’m in the minority. While I didn’t see him on stage, Lin-Manuel Miranda is not my favorite Hamilton. At this point, he probably ranks 3 of 4. The rest of the cast? Some of the original cast are my favorites! But Lin-Manuel Miranda isn’t. I’m surprised by this, but I’ve liked other takes on Hamilton so much better!

VGThuy

I agree. I actually don’t care too much for Lin-Manuel Miranda’s actual voice.

Sarah

I saw Donald Webber Jr on Broadway as an understudy and he was so youthful and I adored him. But Miguel Cervantes (I saw him in Chicago but he was on Broadway pre shutdown) was my favorite. Vocally he’s incredible, but played the youth of Hamilton too and just had something special. Lin is fine, but others are better.

oleada

I just watched Hamilton and it was so much better than the cast I saw two years ago:

Same! Renee Elise Goldsberry, in particular, was so much stronger than the Angelica I saw.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I saw Donald Webber Jr on Broadway as an understudy and he was so youthful and I adored him. But Miguel Cervantes (I saw him in Chicago but he was on Broadway pre shutdown) was my favorite. Vocally he’s incredible, but played the youth of Hamilton too and just had something special. Lin is fine, but others are better.

I need to dig out my Playbill for the show I saw in Chicago, because we had an understudy Hamilton that night and he was amazing. I didn't love Chicago's Burr, but I am loving Leslie Odom Jr so much in the recording. No wonder he won the Tony.

Chris Jackson as Washington just has an unbeatable dignity and presence....let's make him President for real, he's got more presidential gravitas than...well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information