Broadway musicals

Which Broadway show would you recommend ?

• Aladdin

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Anastasia

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Cats

Votes: 10 10.4%
  • Charlie & the Chocolate Factory

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Hamilton

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • Miss Saigon

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • The Book of Mormon

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • The Phantom of the Opera

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Wicked

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other

Votes: 24 25.0%

• Total voters

Inessence

Considering the recent output of Broadway musicals, I thought Hamilton was a God-send in word play and creativity. If only more Broadway creatives and producers were that ambitious.

The woman next to me came back to see it twice since there was so much going on it overwhelmed her senses.

Inessence

Due to its' subject, style and delivery; it likely requires more concentration by the viewer/listener than most musicals.

Maybe its style and delivery would work better with a more engrossing historical story. I just finished watching AMC’s Turn so I’m not adverse to historical dramas from that period. It could be I just wasn’t in the mood for it. :blah:

Last edited:

screech

Am I alone here in thinking Hamilton was way overrated? Though I can appreciate what they were trying to do it just didn’t gel for me.
I'm with you on that one. Maybe it's because I don't care about American history, but I did not think it was as great as it was made out to be. Nowhere near it!!

VGThuy

To be fair, nothing that big is going to be as great as it was made out to be. I thought Book of Mormon wasn't nearly as good as the hype and success shows, and I also think Wicked has one of the worst scores ever created on the stage both in terms of lyrics and melody but those shows are HUGE blockbusters. I mean HUGE so obviously people like it.

Re: Hamilton, All I know is is that I went into it blind, and thinking the music was sort of annoying at the Tony Awards and other performances, then was completely amazed when I saw it live. I also think highly of the craftmanship that went into it and all of the themes it went over. To me, there are so many amazing songs like "Non-Stop" and "It's Quiet Uptown" among others.

I will say that I hated the King George songs. I felt it was too mocking and played too broadly compared to the rest of the show, and the fact that Lin-Manuel Miranda decided to give him a 1960s British invasion pop-rock sound to contrast it with the more hard-hitting hip hop of the Americans was way too on the nose.

One show about American history I have trouble getting into is 1776. I admit that I know little about the score itself and never seen the complete show live, but from what I've seen of the film version, it didn't pique my interest.

screech

To be fair, nothing that big is going to be as great as it was made out to be. I thought Book of Mormon wasn't nearly as good as the hype and success shows, and I also think Wicked has one of the worst scores ever created on the stage both in terms of lyrics and melody but those shows are HUGE blockbusters. I mean HUGE so obviously people like it.
I was the opposite - I'd thought Book of Mormon was so hyped up, and I'd been wanting to see it for years, that when I finally did I was worried I'd be disappointed - how could it live up to expectations. Instead it jumped straight to the top of my list of favourite musicals. I absolutely loved it!

Sometimes though, I have gone to musicals just to see a musical with no expectations and have been pleasantly surprised. Jersey Boys did that for me, as did Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

gkelly

One show about American history I have trouble getting into is 1776. I admit that I know little about the score itself and never seen the complete show live, but from what I've seen of the film version, it didn't pique my interest.

I saw the Broadway production when I was 10.

That caused me to develop an intense interest in that period of American history (that did not extend to other periods). I started reading adult as well as child-oriented history books. I started writing a novel about a boy who went back in time switching bodies with young John Adams. I had a huge crush on Thomas Jefferson.

Erin

Banned Member
I was the opposite - I'd thought Book of Mormon was so hyped up, and I'd been wanting to see it for years, that when I finally did I was worried I'd be disappointed - how could it live up to expectations. Instead it jumped straight to the top of my list of favourite musicals. I absolutely loved it!

Sometimes though, I have gone to musicals just to see a musical with no expectations and have been pleasantly surprised. Jersey Boys did that for me, as did Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

I agree that Book of Mormon is one show that has really lived up to the hype for me (but I agree with @VIETgrlTerifa that Wicked was a big disappointment). And also that Jersey Boys was a really pleasant surprise. I have yet to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and that's one that has been on my must-see list for a very long time. But the one time it came to Minneapolis was when I was at Boston Worlds and it's never been in London or New York when I've been there. Hopefully someday...

One I went to with no expectations recently was Something Rotten. There were a couple of songs that brought the house down and anyone who is a fan of musicals would enjoy all of the references to other musicals.

VGThuy

How many of us go on a Youtube wormhole watching old Broadway Tony or otherwise performances? One time, I got stuck in a Gwen Verdon hole.

screech

How many of us go on a Youtube wormhole watching old Broadway Tony or otherwise performances? One time, I got stuck in a Gwen Verdon hole.
Absolutely! Speaking of Book of Mormon, I love Andrew Rannells' performance of "I Believe" from the 2011 show. I think it was such a risky choice to perform (with 4 acting nominations, they chose to only have one of the performers on stage), but love the mix of humour with how earnest the character is in that song. I've watched it multiple times.
Can't believe this year's show is in just 2 weeks!!! I'm really looking forward to seeing with Sarah Bareilles and especially Josh Groban can do - Josh always surprises me with how hilarious he is.

I have yet to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and that's one that has been on my must-see list for a very long time. But the one time it came to Minneapolis was when I was at Boston Worlds and it's never been in London or New York when I've been there. Hopefully someday...
I saw it as a smaller production put on by a local company, and I was blown away. I also did not expect such a variety of musical styles (it has everything from country, to calypso to disco music).

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
I never would have ever guessed Lauren Ambrose could sing like that. I remember there was an episode during Six Feet Under when she jumped up on the office desk & sang a song about uncomfortable pantyhose or something. I thought she had a good voice, but My Fair Lady is a huge step up from that.

My YouTube wormhole performer is Jerry Orbach :lol: . The Fantasticks, Promises Promises, Guys & Dolls. I can never stop with just one.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I never would have ever guessed Lauren Ambrose could sing like that. I remember there was an episode during Six Feet Under when she jumped up on the office desk & sang a song about uncomfortable pantyhose or something. I thought she had a good voice, but My Fair Lady is a huge step up from that.

My YouTube wormhole performer is Jerry Orbach :lol: . The Fantasticks, Promises Promises, Guys & Dolls.

Seriously, nobody knew what to expect when that casting was announced. I think most people know the way she talks from Six Feet Under and had trouble imagining her singing that extremely demanding My Fair Lady score requiring a legit soprano. The only clips on YouTube that had Ambrose singing was in Six Feet Under and some fan shot clips from her singing torch songs and jazzy standards with her band in New York. Nothing out there showed how she could sing that score. I was shocked when I saw it live. I searched My Fair Lady on YouTube recently and found this clip of her singing "I Could Have Danced All Night":

https://youtu.be/jume4Sr6dfs?t=1553

Jerry Orbach had such a voice. I can listen to his version of "Try to Remember" forever.

oleada

I totally agree whoever said that Book of Mormon was brilliant. I saw it twice and both were incredible. I did not think it would live up to the hype; and it did and more.

I think my expectations for Hamilton were so high that I couldn’t help but be disappointed. I love the concept, and the music - it’s brilliant. It’s just that live it never measured up to my head since I’d listened it the soundtrack and imagined the show so much. I think I prefer going into shows knowing as little as possible. I enjoy them more that way.

paskatefan

One I went to with no expectations recently was Something Rotten. There were a couple of songs that brought the house down and anyone who is a fan of musicals would enjoy all of the references to other musicals.

Friends of ours recommended "Something Rotten." It was hilarious & we totally loved it. The Book of Mormon was a hoot, too.

Not the biggest Andrew Lloyd Webber fan here, but Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat was very enjoyable, and I would have to say is my favorite of his musicals.

4skating

My YouTube wormhole performer is Aaron Tveit. A few years ago, I was looking for Hamilton cast performances and came across Leslie Odom, Jr. doing "What You Own" from Rent at a festival in NYC. I was enjoying it then he was joined onstage by this guy--Aaron Tveit. The audience went crazy, and I was blown away and somewhat embarrassed to realize that I had never heard of him!

Odom/Tveit "What You Own"

Here is Tveit with Laura Osnes at Lincoln Center this past New Year's Eve in the Bernstein tribute show, a very different type of singing than Rent.

Tveit/Osnes West Side Story

I thought of myself as a very knowledgeable Broadway fan when I lived on the East Coast but obviously haven't kept up! Now I do YouTube searches every so often just to see what I'm missing.

screech

My YouTube wormhole performer is Aaron Tveit.
We'll be getting a lot more Tveit soon, since he's taking the lead in Moulin Rouge...

Friends of ours recommended "Something Rotten." It was hilarious & we totally loved it. The Book of Mormon was a hoot, too.
Haven't seen Something Rotten, but I LOVE the song "Hard To Be The Bard". Christian Borle is hilarious in the clips I've seen of that song. And the hair and eyeliner really work for him!
Kind of funny to think that the two Tonys he won were for roles in which he had a British accent (the other was for Peter and the Starcatcher)

I occasionally get sucked in to performance wormholes, but what often happens is I'll watch a clip of Andrew Rannells performing, but then I'll see a clip of him on a talk show, and I'll get sucked into a hole of watching his interviews. The guy is just freaking hilarious!

VGThuy

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I saw the Broadway production when I was 10.

That caused me to develop an intense interest in that period of American history (that did not extend to other periods). I started reading adult as well as child-oriented history books. I started writing a novel about a boy who went back in time switching bodies with young John Adams. I had a huge crush on Thomas Jefferson.

1776 the movie gave me a crush on Adams! :D I wrote a report on him for school not long after seeing it for the first time.

gkelly

1776 the movie gave me a crush on Adams! :D I wrote a report on him for school not long after seeing it for the first time.

I should also mention that I sang along to the cast album and wanted to produce a gender-swapped or gender-neutral-cast production. Although I think I realized even at 10-11 that the songs might have to be transposed to fit female voices.

cgirl8

I can't believe I didn't know about this thread earlier!

I have a bad habit of losing many an evening to musical theater on Youtube. My YouTube wormhole performer is Jeremy Jordan. There aren't many videos or clips of him in productions besides Newsies but at least for a while he was really doing the rounds in the New York cabaret scene and that guy can sing about anything.

At the two ends of the spectrum a more classical technique and then the much rougher, belted with a western twang in Bonnie and Clyde. While it's great that he's having success in TV, it's a shame that Broadway is losing such a versatile voice as a result.

I sang along to the cast album and wanted to produce a gender-swapped or gender-neutral-cast production.
That's so funny. I know there have been quite a few gender-swapped productions over the last couple years but I just got an email for one in my area today!

screech

I should also mention that I sang along to the cast album and wanted to produce a gender-swapped or gender-neutral-cast production. Although I think I realized even at 10-11 that the songs might have to be transposed to fit female voices.
Have you seen any clips of Broadway Backwards or Miscast? It involves broadway performers singing songs they otherwise would not get to sing (basically, gender-swapped). One of my favourites is Aaron Tveit and Gavin Creel singing "Take Me Or Leave Me" from Rent. Also, Jonathan Groff doing "Anything Goes" is spectacular (complete with the long-ass dance break in the middle).

Last edited:

gkelly

Have you seen any clips of Broadway Backwards or Miscast? It involves broadway performers singing songs they otherwise would not get to sing (basically, gender-swapped). One of my favourites is Aaron Tveit and Gavin Creel singing "Take Me Or Leave Me" from Rent. Also, Jonathan Groff doing "Anything Goes" is spectacular (complete with the long-ass dance break in the middle).

Thanks, these are fun.

Not finding many women doing men's roles on youtube. Here are a few:

Ben Platt and Uzo Aduba sing "A Little Priest" From Sweeney Todd

Carmen Cusack performs "You'll Be Back" From HAMILTON: AN AMERICAN MUSICAL

Q. Smith and Astrid Van Wieren shared the joys of parenthood and the optimistic potential of children in a heartwarming take on “Dear Theodosia” from Hamilton

Bebe Neuwirth - All I Care About Is Love

screech

Not quite gender swapped, but another fun thing is the annual Easter Bonnet competition fundraiser. From wikipedia:
Easter Bonnet is an annual spring fundraiser in the theatre community, produced by and benefiting Broadway Cares. For six weeks, shows fundraise in their theatres, whether they're on Broadway, Off-Broadway, or touring. Volunteers and cast members hold red buckets after each performance and collect donations. Some shows sell autographed Playbills, posters, and props. Other shows offer auctions to meet the cast backstage or win an autographed prop. At the end of the six weeks, each show is invited to participate in the two-day Easter Bonnet competition. During this competition, performers from participating shows sing and dance while wearing their shows' unique "Easter Bonnets". Guest judges then choose award recipients for best bonnet design and performance.
In 2016, $5.5 million was raised.

Anyway, the competition has some pretty entertaining performances, usually involving parodies of other shows. One that I love is An American In Paris parodying Book of Mormon (with a PSA that should be performed before every broadway show)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information