2023 World Team Trophy - April 13-16 - Tokyo, Japan

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Honestly, countries with stronger pairs and dance teams than singles are already at a disadvantage in WTT scoring because they only get 1 entry in each of the partnered disciplines.

The US managed to win, in historic fashion, precisely because of their strength in pairs and ice dance, and I'm okay with that. Italy managed 4th, despite some really rough performances by their two women, because of the strength of their ice dance and pairs teams. Canada, on the other hand, despite similar depth in both dance and pairs, couldn't overcome the struggles with their men and women.

I think a good example of the case we’re trying to make us, Team Korea in pair, and dance. If I recall correctly came in last place in both yet with the strength of their singles, got the silver.

I do think in pairs and dance needs to go 12 points, 10, eight, six, four two or something like that especially since there’s only one entry. There needs to be greater importance of including a pair and a dance, hence if you’re going to call it a team collaboration, ultimately

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I think a good example of the case we’re trying to make us, Team Korea in pair, and dance. If I recall correctly came in last place in both yet with the strength of their singles, got the silver.

I do think in pairs and dancing needs to go 12 points, 10, eight, six, four two or something like that
You would be punishing the countries who are stronger in the partnered disciplines even more, though, with that point structure. They already only get ONE shot at 12 points, whereas the countries with strong singles get TWO shots at 12-11 points.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
You would be punishing the countries who are stronger in the partnered disciplines even more, though, with that point structure. They already only get ONE shot at 12 points, whereas the countries with strong singles get TWO shots at 12-11 points.

I added more to my post above…

I see what you’re saying, but it needs to be greater emphasis of a collaborative team event

in my opinion, the values they’re giving to the Pairs and the dance is like you’re not really needed here

I mean if a team can absorb coming in last place in 50% of the disciplines, and still get silver… It shows there’s not much value given to the disciplines coming in last place pairs and dance

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I added more to my post above…

I see what you’re saying, but it needs to be greater emphasis of a collaborative team event

in my opinion, the values they’re giving to the Pairs and the dance is like you’re not really needed here

I mean if a team can absorb coming in last place in 50% of the disciplines, and still get silver… It shows there’s not much value given to the disciplines coming in last place pairs and dance
And it's always been that way, because the scoring was set up to help Japan at a time when they were exceedingly weak in pairs and dance. The fact that this has now come back to, somewhat, bite them in the tushy is ironic, to say the least.

As it is, I'm excited for what this means for the TE in 2026. I think Italy is going to be in a better position for a medal there than Korea, precisely because of the differences in format and scoring.

tkaug

Thank you so much for many replies on my suggestions.
I don’t really care too much about it for WTT since it’s not a serious competition, but I really hope the rules to change for the Olympics team event(from 10 9 8 7 6 to 10 8 6 4 2 for all categories in the free programs).

Sylvia

TBD
Isabeau Levito just shared 10 photos from her WTT experience: https://www.instagram.com/p/CrRMzNMrdnX/
This was such an amazing event filled with so much energy and excitement! It was so comforting to be able to look at the team box and see all my teammates cheering me on as I am about to skate my programs. Thank you to everyone who helped make this event possible and for all the support US Figure skating has given me. I am so grateful for my coaches and mom that have supported me every step, and I am especially grateful for our amazing team leader, Jason, for making us those fabulous shirts and keeping team spirits high!
Last photo shows the Team USA skaters holding up a banner (with Max Settlage's drawings!) thanking the Japanese audience for their support. :)

Allskate

I am so glad somehow Isabeau Levito changed her mind and went to WTT, after all. She was a dynamic part of the winning team & she seemed tremendously happy!
Jason said at his last WTT press conference that Isabeau had been reluctant to come to WTT because she was so exhausted, which is understandable given how long and intense her first international senior season was. Jason and others convinced her that WTT is a lot of fun and is actually energizing. Jason was happy to see her "shine" at the competition and described her as "glowing." I wouldn't be surprised if the prize money was part of the attraction, but she did really seem to be having a great time. She didn't post on IG at all about Worlds, but she has posted a number of times about WTT. More than Nationals.

I hope that U.S. Figure Skating is using Jason to mentor some of the younger skaters. With all his experience and perspective, that would be very useful. At a minimum, I think that Isabeau and Ilia will benefit from spending time touring with him and some of the other more experienced skaters for SOI.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Not to diminish Korea's team silver in any way, because they were definitely a breath of fresh air at this event. Even their dancers and pair who had little experience at the senior international level did not look out of place.

But out of interest, I wanted to see if adding everyone's scores together would make a difference in the final placement. As opposed to allocating points relative to each skater or team's rankings across both segments of competition

Anyway, Team USA would have earned 1429.9 points.
Team Korea would have earned 1264.97 points, Team Japan would have earned 1330.89 points, and Team Italy would have earned 1292.38 points

Sylvia

TBD
World Team Trophy 2023: Recap (April 23) by Izumi Yoneyama:

The Movie | ISU World Team Trophy in Figure Skating 2023 (7 min.+ video recap by ISU): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiDdYggmMrY

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Not to diminish Korea's team silver in any way, because they were definitely a breath of fresh air at this event. Even their dancers and pair who had little experience at the senior international level did not look out of place.

But out of interest, I wanted to see if adding everyone's scores together would make a difference in the final placement. As opposed to allocating points relative to each skater or team's rankings across both segments of competition

Anyway, Team USA would have earned 1429.9 points.
Team Korea would have earned 1264.97 points, Team Japan would have earned 1330.89 points, and Team Italy would have earned 1292.38 points
Not really of importance here IMO because of the way the disciplines are scored and the PCS factoring being different.

If there happened to be two very strong men from an otherwise weak nation, they could theoretically score 95-100 in the short and 190-200 in the long each and probably that in itself would be enough for a medal, under that kind of idea.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Not really of importance here IMO because of the way the disciplines are scored and the PCS factoring being different.

If there happened to be two very strong men from an otherwise weak nation, they could theoretically score 95-100 in the short and 190-200 in the long each and probably that in itself would be enough for a medal, under that kind of idea.
I am reminded in 2019 how Russia was a bit upset that there wasn't equal representation across all four disciplines.

Just thought it was a fascinating exercise.

I know it is only a singles event, but the Japan Open winners are determined this way.

Sylvia

TBD
WTT skater vlogs!

Hannah Lim:
"Hello everyone! This team trophy competition was such a fun experience! Cheering with team Korea made me the happiest and when we were on the ice, I could hear our teammates screams the loudest 😭 I am so grateful for this opportunity~ I hope you enjoy the vlog 🥰" (16 mins.): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYH9B-EABI0

"This time after our competition we were able to do some sightseeing and visit restaurants in Japan 😋 At the banquet it was really fun and I filmed whether or not we got the cheering award 😂 I hope you guys enjoy part 2 🥰" (11.5 mins.): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2I36zEZVLE

Hyejin Cho:
My first ever international competition was my 2nd competition?! (22 mins.): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5SYpPfo2jo
First international medal then Shibuya sightseeing (17 mins.): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpk6kLfQyzI

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information