2022 Skate America

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
The city of Boston is about to be a bit chaotic for the next month with the temporary closure of the orange line (subway line with 100,000 people per day). It is supposed to last 30 days, but rumor has it it may be up to 90 days. Crossing the city will be a nightmare. I only live 45 minutes away, but I am considering getting a hotel or airbnb nearby if the orange line situation is not resolved.
For non locals, this shouldn’t be a worry. The Orange line is a north/south route from Melrose to Dorchester. See here https://www.mbta.com/schedules/Orange/line
Those staying in Boston proper will be using the Pike to 128. The impact on those roads should be minimal. Just be aware if your travel includes trips just north or south of the city proper.

Debbie S

For non locals, this shouldn’t be a worry. The Orange line is a north/south route from Melrose to Dorchester. See here https://www.mbta.com/schedules/Orange/line
Those staying in Boston proper will be using the Pike to 128. The impact on those roads should be minimal. Just be aware if your travel includes trips just north or south of the city proper.
Do you think travel to/from the airport would be affected?

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
How are tolls handled on the toll roads from Boston to Norwood? Is there a place to stop and pay or do you need a tag of some sort? I’ll be renting a car at the airport.

sk9tingfan

How are tolls handled on the toll roads from Boston to Norwood? Is there a place to stop and pay or do you need a tag of some sort? I’ll be renting a car at the airport.
You will be on I-90 or better known as the Mass Pike. The tolls vary by distance and those depend on whether you are coming from the east or the west, the latter being probably longer. There is a tag available through EZPass. If you do not want to trouble yourself with obtaining one, EZPass will send a bill to the address associated with the car. If you are renting a car, I believe that you can purchase a tag option from the rental company, or they will bill you.

Last edited:

jeffisjeff

Typically rental car companies let you use the license plate scan option for tolls and send the bill later. But they also charge a fixed amount per day (like $6 or so) on days that you actually use the service (so only for days you incur a toll charge). If you are ok with the fixed fee, there is nothing you need to do.

Carolla5501

Typically rental car companies let you use the license plate scan option for tolls and send the bill later. But they also charge a fixed amount per day (like $6 or so) on days that you actually use the service (so only for days you incur a toll charge). If you are ok with the fixed fee, there is nothing you need to do.
Check with your rental car company. National does it the way you’re describing I think dollar charges you the fee every day even if you don’t use the toll lanes. So you want to know what you’re getting yourself into

azcalder

Driving through the city tunnels might take a bit longer with The Ted Williams tunnel being the faster option. The Blue Line shouldn’t be impacted.
When we were in Boston on the way to Lake Placid three weeks ago the Sumner Tunnel was closed on weekends.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
When we were in Boston on the way to Lake Placid three weeks ago the Sumner Tunnel was closed on weekends.
Yes, forgot about that. But I hope most of the FSUers will arrive before Saturday. And the best way back to the airport from Norwood is “the Ted” as we call the Ted Williams tunnel.

TanithandBenFan

I’ve driven on L.A. freeways and other major cities and never felt skittish, but the thought of driving through the Boston tunnels is making me nervous. I’ll be landing around rush hour and tunnels make me feel claustrophobic.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
For those worried about driving in Boston, there are usually rentals in the suburbs. Maybe get to your hotel and then rent the car. I’m still hoping Lyft/Uber/taxi will be sufficient but if not this is my plan.

TanithandBenFan

For those worried about driving in Boston, there are usually rentals in the suburbs. Maybe get to your hotel and then rent the car. I’m still hoping Lyft/Uber/taxi will be sufficient but if not this is my plan.
I’d looked at the prices/availability in the suburbs and it was way more than the airport. There was also the issue of suburb locations not being open when needed for pickup and drop off.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
I am also relying on the kindness of Lyft/Uber/Taxi @Spikefan

Does anyone know how difficult is it to get a Lyft/Uber/taxi to take you to Norwood from Logan Intl? I am violently opposed to renting a car. I spent a summer in Cambridge and had the use of a car. I refuse to drive in Boston or anywhere in Mass. I would drive in Paris before I'd drive in Boston/Mass again. I'd drive in Mumbai before I'd drive in Boston/Mass again. I picked flight arrival/departure times to help with ease of getting transportation. One of the few times I drove when I was in Boston, a former FSUer was with me--she had equally strong opinions about my driving. Boston/Mass also does not want me to drive. :lol:

TanithandBenFan

I am also relying on the kindness of Lyft/Uber/Taxi @Spikefan

Does anyone know how difficult is it to get a Lyft/Uber/taxi to take you to Norwood from Logan Intl? I am violently opposed to renting a car. I spent a summer in Cambridge and had the use of a car. I refuse to drive in Boston or anywhere in Mass. I would drive in Paris before I'd drive in Boston/Mass again. I'd drive in Mumbai before I'd drive in Boston/Mass again. I picked flight arrival/departure times to help with ease of getting transportation. One of the few times I drove when I was in Boston, a former FSUer was with me--she had equally strong opinions about my driving. Boston/Mass also does not want me to drive. :lol:
This is not easing my mind at all. 🙈

clairecloutier

I think it’ll be okay @TanithandBenFan. Just put Google Maps on and pay attention to signs. Maybe stay toward the right side so you’ll be closer to exits. You’re not in the tunnels for too long anyway. Rush hour traffic might also have the “benefit” of slowing things down and making it easier to follow directions.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Driving in the city of Boston is a terrible experience. I lived in Boston, owned a car, and still never did it.

Luckily Norwood is not in the city and you don’t generally need to drive surface roads to leave the airport as it is connected to 90/93. You’re just going to get right on the highway and leave. The tunnels aren’t really anything. They’re just there.

There is also a commuter rail option out to Norwood for those who don’t mind spending a while messing around with trains. You’d have to take the silver line to south station and then the commuter rail to Norwood.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
I figure lyft/taxi/uber is $$$$, but I also figured it would be cheaper than renting a car for five days, paying for parking at the hotel, paying for parking at the stadium center, and paying gas for said car.

But I could definitely do a commuter rail--I'll have to look into that. I kind of like public transportation. I'm assuming I can hop on at the airport?

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I figure lyft/taxi/uber is $$$$, but I also figured it would be cheaper than renting a car for five days, paying for parking at the hotel, paying for parking at the stadium center, and paying gas for said car.

But I could definitely do a commuter rail--I'll have to look into that. I kind of like public transportation. I'm assuming I can hop on at the airport?
Here is a link to the mbta.
I went to Plan a Trip from the airport to the stop closest to my hotel. It does start at the airport Silver Line (SL1). My hotel then has a free shuttle that will pick me up at the commuter stop.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap

You take the silver line bus from the airport to South Station then catch the commuter rail at South Station to Franklin/Foxboro and get off at Norwood.

alizadavida

I'm happy to answer any questions people have with the T - The ride from the airport to south station on the silver line isn't bad at all - I've done it once. I am at south station (Where the commuter rail and amtrack are) every day to get to/from work. I haven't taken it to Norwood specifically. Also grew up driving in Boston its not as bad as people think it is lol. Seems like with the trains shut down the commute from the airport to Norwood will be faster from Boston to the other side of Boston!

I just priced an Uber from the airport to SCOB - it is $50 and takes ~ 40 minutes. I think getting an uber in Norwood will be harder than the airport but doable and you might have to wait a little.

Gusmom

Banned Member
The difference in cost between SCOB and the garden is astronomical. USFSA has done exactly what they were intending to do with SCOB, which is sell out a smaller venue instead of having an empty looking giant venue.

If it were at the Garden, it would probably be at least $100 per session for bad seats and fees are very high there. They have gotten way out of control with their costs.

Gusmom

Banned Member
Switched my hotel to the Holiday Inn in Dedham as we found the Fairfield Inn in Dedham to have old and very poorly maintained bathrooms. Their free breakfast was also terrible with coffee like jet fuel and a breakfast sandwich whose bite stuck in my esophagus! The air conditioning system was not responsive and for those of us that have personal summers, it required someone to get up during the night to lower the thermostat in order to get the air moving. If the Courtyard in Norwood had not already sold out, I would have switched to that hotel. Dedham is about a 7–10-minute drive to SCOB depending on traffic. The light at Route 1 and University is a monster and you can get stuck there, waiting to turn for more than 5 minutes. On the flipside, Legacy Place which right where the Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express and Fairfield Inn are, has wonderful restaurants and stores. We had an idyllic lunch outside at Legal C Bar, the local branch of the famous Legal Seafood.

Not sure how we will fare at the Holiday Inn, but I guess we'll have to find out.
I thought I was at Courtyard but just checked & am at Hampton Inn Norwood instead. Anyone else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information