2022 Nationals in Nashville

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
First of all, for me it's not a unilateral decision; I'm going with a friend.

Secondly "sell the tickets" is easier said than done. My friend and I do have hotel reservations that can be cancelled but I've held off purchasing plane tickets, a decision that will have to be made and flight routes, since we live in different parts of the country, will have to be coordinated.

Thirdly, there is risk assessment. Generally speaking when I've come home from a major figure skating competition (Nationals, Worlds), I've brought some minor virus home with me. So now I have to decide if the possibility of bringing home a major virus is worth it.

None of these are or should be last minute decisions. People are absolutely right in assuming what is true for September may not be true for January. But that doesn't mean things that are bad in September will be better in January. They certainly weren't last year when Thanksgiving/Christmas brought on a far more serious level of illness.

If Tennessee had a different governor/state legislature or Nationals were in a different state, my risk assessment would be different. But given the situation now, I see no reason why the issues of health and safety shouldn't be discussed now.

sk9tingfan

All of the posts in here about the CURRENT situation in Tennessee ARE hysterical. They are not relevant to what the situation will be in four months and they are meant to induce hysteria and panic. It is laughable to claim that people aren't screaming at the top of their lungs when there are multiple posts in here every single day that have nothing to do with Bridgestone Arena or the USFS' spectator policy, but really should go in the WWH forum, keeping this particular thread on page 1 of GSD even though there is NOTHING NEW about the event in particular. @Carolla5501 had the right of it yesterday morning in assessing what is happening in this particular thread.
You're being cavalier.

Arwen17

So the practice rink will be in a totally different location from the Bridgestone arena? Probably Bellevue or Antioch instead of centennial sportsplex? That's a 20-30min drive, plus time to park, if we're all dashing back and forth between Bridgestone and Bellevue/Antioch. How do people plan for this?

Also, what do local skaters do? I'm planning to skate a little while I'm down there for my own practice. Does Nationals completely take over one ice rink and nobody else gets to skate at all at that rink? Or do they have their nationals practice sessions mixed in with normal FS sessions or scheduled around them?
Any super-lucky chance that some nationals skaters might show up at a "normal" FS session and practice alongside us commoners? ;) I've shared ice with nationally-ranked skaters on rarest of occasions when one randomly stops by to practice at our tiny local rink because they're traveling around the country for competitions. It's a fun feeling sharing ice with them because it doesn't happen every day, since I'm not skating in a massive city like New York or LA.

I haven't skated at their new Bellevue rink yet, and I want to. I've skated at the other two Nashville rinks in the past. So I hope Bellevue runs some normal FS sessions I'm allowed on during Nationals week.

Anyone want to talk about something more cheerful and answer some of my questions above?

LeafOnTheWind

Anyone want to talk about something more cheerful and answer some of my questions above?
I don't know the answers for sure but past ones look like they shut down the practice rink and have it solely open for Nationals skaters.

ETA: I also think once skaters are checked in they have to use official practice sessions only. I was told that once a long time ago from a volunteer. Things may have changed or 1 or both of us misunderstood the rules. It's unlikely you will get to skate with one of the elites. Sorry. :)

Last edited:

missing

All of the posts in here about the CURRENT situation in Tennessee ARE hysterical. They are not relevant to what the situation will be in four months and they are meant to induce hysteria and panic. It is laughable to claim that people aren't screaming at the top of their lungs when there are multiple posts in here every single day that have nothing to do with Bridgestone Arena or the USFS' spectator policy, but really should go in the WWH forum, keeping this particular thread on page 1 of GSD even though there is NOTHING NEW about the event in particular. @Carolla5501 had the right of it yesterday morning in assessing what is happening in this particular thread.
One is under no obligation to read all the posts in any thread. If part of a topic doesn't interest a person (or a person doesn't find it relevant), one will not be tested about it.

I do have to say though that anyone who doesn't read (and ideally memorize) every word I write misses out on some great literature. But that would be one's loss.

Arwen17

I don't know the answers for sure but past ones look like they shut down the practice rink and have it solely open for Nationals skaters.

ETA: I also think once skaters are checked in they have to use official practice sessions only. I was told that once a long time ago from a volunteer. Things may have changed or 1 or both of us misunderstood the rules. It's unlikely you will get to skate with one of the elites. Sorry. :)

I'm betting they give them the bellevue rink then, since its the newest and shiniest. Unless they give them the centennial sportsplex just because its far closer to Bridgestone, but parking is really bad for that rink, so I doubt they'll do this. Maybe I'll get lucky, they'll give them Antioch, so I can try out Bellevue.

LeafOnTheWind

They might shuttle the skaters between hotel, practice arena and event arena so parking won't be an issue.

Arwen17

They might shuttle the skaters between hotel, practice arena and event arena so parking won't be an issue.
Centennial sportsplex is the oldest and least-shiny rink in Nashville, plus it houses a bunch of other sports stuff like swimming pools. The only reason they might choose it is because of how close it is to Bridgestone. Otherwise, I guess they’ll take the long drive to Antioch or Bellevue for their state-of-the-art shiny rinks.

Debbie S

It's already been posted in here that Scott Hamilton's rink is the practice rink for the skaters. In all likelihood, there will not be normal FS sessions there that week.

Skaters are allowed to practice at unofficial rinks/sessions. This was a rule change about 15 years ago when skaters started only getting one official practice per day instead of two. Sometimes the LOC will even work with a particular rink to offer skaters unofficial ice. Those sessions are restricted to only Nats skaters. Occasionally, skaters might go to an FS session at another area rink but that's rare.

Skaters and coaches are transported to official practice venues via the event shuttle. Transportation to unofficial practice is on the skaters.

I think the current state of things in Nashville is relevant to this thread. If people don't want to read those posts, don't. Certainly, there are plenty of other threads with posts that I might think aren't relevant or interesting, so I skim over those and don't read.

Last edited:

Arwen17

It's already been posted in here that Scott Hamilton's rink is the practice rink for the skaters. In all likelihood, there will not be normal FS sessions there that week.

Skaters are allowed to practice at unofficial rinks/sessions. This was a rule change about 15 years ago when skaters started only getting one official practice per day instead of two. Sometimes the LOC will even work with a particular rink to offer skaters unofficial ice. Those sessions are restricted to only Nats skaters. Occasionally, skaters might go to an FS session at another area rink but that's rare.

Skaters and coaches are transported to official practice venues via the event shuttle. Transportation to unofficial practice is on the skaters.

I think the current state of things in Nashville is relevant to this thread. If people don't want to read those posts, don't. Certainly, there are plenty of other threads with posts that I might think aren't relevant or not interesting, so I skim over those and don't read.

That’s not descriptive enough…. Both Bellevue and Antioch are called the Ford Center and home to Scott Hamilton figure skating club. So which rink are they using? The original rink is in Antioch, since Bellevue is new.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Any super-lucky chance that some nationals skaters might show up at a "normal" FS session and practice alongside us commoners? ;) I've shared ice with nationally-ranked skaters on rarest of occasions when one randomly stops by to practice at our tiny local rink because they're traveling around the country for competitions. It's a fun feeling sharing ice with them because it doesn't happen every day, since I'm not skating in a massive city like New York or LA.
When Nationals was in St. Louis, I met a friend at her local rink to skate. It was a multi-surface facility and, on one of the surfaces, the young Shibs were practicing before Novice Dance started. I fell in love with them right there and then they won!

I've also skated on the same ice as Brian Boitano and I have to say it was scary. He was SO FAST and also big. I was sure we were going to collide and I'd be dead. :lol:

ETA when Natoinals are in San Jose, the practice ice, is at Sharks Ice about 20 min away from the arena. It's a four-surface facility and official practices only take up 1 or 2 surfaces and the rest run their normal programs. IME, if you go out into the suburbs, you may find random skaters like I found the Shibs, and if the official practice ice is at a multi-surface facility, you can skate there on the other surfaces while official practice is going on.

If Tennessee had a different governor/state legislature or Nationals were in a different state, my risk assessment would be different. But given the situation now, I see no reason why the issues of health and safety shouldn't be discussed now.
But how much can we discuss when it comes to something four months from now when we have no information other than case rates now? I'm not trying to tell people what to talk about but I will say that endless speculation with no new info isn't helpful to me.

missing

When Nationals was in St. Louis, I met a friend at her local rink to skate. It was a multi-surface facility and, on one of the surfaces, the young Shibs were practicing before Novice Dance started. I fell in love with them right there and then they won!

I've also skated on the same ice as Brian Boitano and I have to say it was scary. He was SO FAST and also big. I was sure we were going to collide and I'd be dead. :lol:

ETA when Natoinals are in San Jose, the practice ice, is at Sharks Ice about 20 min away from the arena. It's a four-surface facility and official practices only take up 1 or 2 surfaces and the rest run their normal programs. IME, if you go out into the suburbs, you may find random skaters like I found the Shibs, and if the official practice ice is at a multi-surface facility, you can skate there on the other surfaces while official practice is going on.

But how much can we discuss when it comes to something four months from now when we have no information other than case rates now? I'm not trying to tell people what to talk about but I will say that endless speculation with no new info isn't helpful.

Endless speculation 'r us.

Being helpful is merely a bonus.

Arwen17

:D Then maybe I'll get lucky! I'm just going to practice as my schedule allows between watching events and watching official practices, so if I manage to skate on the same sheet as a nationals skater like that, it will be pure accident. We actually had a nationally-ranked skater come to our tiny local competition recently (I assume for a low-stress environment to get judges' feedback) and it was wild to see her out there on our ice. Our local top skaters only do doubles, but she was chucking triple-triples constantly. She will be competing at senior level this year. It will be interesting to see her again in January after seeing her locally.

(I'm in Adult Gold now. Our tiny rink only ever has "low" and "high" sessions, so I'm now barely making the cut to be on the "high" sessions. Hurray, I no longer have to share ice with the dozens of little kids in no-test/pre-pre/prelim! The "high" sessions are usually pretty dang empty, but yeah watch your back because interm/novice/and-higher is fast, even when they're only doing doubles.
When I go to larger rinks in nearby cities, I'm always on the "intermediate" sessions, which is way more comfortable, but since we're a tiny rink, they just cut "intermediate" skaters in half and the lower half go to the "low" FS sessions and the upper half go to the "high" sessions. Low sessions are incredibly crowded because so many little kids start skating and do it for a few years before quitting before becoming high level. Hence the "Compete USA" skating competitions being so popular and common. Only skaters up to Prelim and Adult Bronze allowed. I now can't go to most competitions in my area. I'm sure it saves them a ton of money because they only have to judge 6.0 instead of IJS. But I'd rather have more opportunities to perform, even if its under 6.0 so the clubs can save money.)

sk8pics

I was on a session with Johnny Weir one time, with only about 4 or so of us on the ice. I was practicing a bit of my program and he was flying around the end of the rink getting ready to skate the length of the rink for a jumping pass, and I hesitated to make sure of where he was going, and it turned out he was yielding to me. :lol: He waited for me to do whatever little thing I was doing, and then I hurried out of his way. So no collisions and no one died. ;)

Arwen17

I was on a session with Johnny Weir one time, with only about 4 or so of us on the ice. I was practicing a bit of my program and he was flying around the end of the rink getting ready to skate the length of the rink for a jumping pass, and I hesitated to make sure of where he was going, and it turned out he was yielding to me. :lol: He waited for me to do whatever little thing I was doing, and then I hurried out of his way. So no collisions and no one died. ;)

Thats the thing about the really fast skaters, they usually are paying attention to where everyone is. It just doesn’t seem like it because they’re so fast and you think you won’t have any hope of dodging them.

peibeck

Simply looking
But how much can we discuss when it comes to something four months from now when we have no information other than case rates now? I'm not trying to tell people what to talk about but I will say that endless speculation with no new info isn't helpful to me.

No offense, but I think people being cautious and curious is reasonable for discussion because people clearly remember what last January held after people gathered for Christmas/New Years and cases skyrocketed. It's reasonable to assume, with a more virulent varient going around, and Nationals happening right after the holidays, that people should be concerned. Regardless of whether this is months away or not.

With single tickets going on sale soon (now?) USFS should make a decision ASAP, imo.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
More detailed event schedule has been released since single event tickets are on sale:

Tuesday, Jan. 4
12:00 p.m. Session 1 - Junior Pairs Short Program and Junior Men Short Program
8:15 p.m. Session 2 - Junior Rhythm Dance

Wednesday, Jan. 5
9:00 a.m. Session 3 - Junior Ladies Short Program Free Skates/Dance
12:00 p.m. Session 4 - Junior Men Free Skate and Junior Pairs Free Skate
8:30 p.m. Session 5 - Junior Free Dance

Thursday, Jan. 6
11:45 a.m. Session 6 - Junior Ladies Free Skate
3:45 p.m. Session 7 - Championship Pairs Short Program
6:30 p.m. Session 8 - Championship Ladies Short Program

Friday, Jan. 7
2: 00 p.m. Session 9 - Championship Rhythm Dance
6:30 p.m. Session 10 - Championship Ladies Free Skate

Saturday, Jan. 8
2:00 p.m. Session 11 - Championship Men’s Short Program
5:45 p.m. Session 12 - Championship Pairs Free Skate
7:25 p.m. Session 13 - Championship Free Dance

Sunday, Jan. 9
11:15 a.m. Session 14 - Championship Men’s Free Skate
6:30 p.m. Session 15 - Skating Spectacular

Jammers

I absolutely hate that the ladies will be finished before any other event even Pairs. At least have the finals on the weekend when people aren't working instead of a Friday night. :(

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
I absolutely hate that the ladies will be finished before any other event even Pairs.
You are on point today,dear. Ladies final before crowning of the Knierims is madness,particularly in an Olympic year.

I absolutely hate that Nationals will be held in Tennessee, but such is life.
Indeed. First Nationals with an audience in two years (excluding last year's cardboard cutouts,of course) and the USFSA opts for Middle America. Disappointing.

-BB

sk9tingfan

Nashville was chosen as the 2022 host long before the crud was a thing. Bridgestone Arena does currently have a policy of full vaccination or negative test required for its events, so they are making an effort at fan safety.
How far will they go to do the legwork before letting fans into the arena?

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Pre-sale going on now. Thursday for general public. I haven’t bought yet but when I selected something to see what seating was like it did give a disclaimer, something like the seat was subject to change due to capacity limits or changing situations.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
How far will they go to do the legwork before letting fans into the arena?
The arena and the Dome here have checkpoints for fans to show their documents. I heard about people being turned away because they only had a rapid test result. I’m sure Bridgestone wouldn’t put the policy in place if they didn’t intend to carry it through.

Yuri

How can US Figure Skating not be notifying folks who purchased all-event tickets about the current vax policies at the Bridgestone Arena? I understand that the policies are in effect only until November 15 at this point, but USFS should be providing updates as fans are making hotel and airline reservations. I doubt every ticket holder is checking FSU for updates (but they should be!).

Last edited:

Arwen17

The arena and the Dome here have checkpoints for fans to show their documents. I heard about people being turned away because they only had a rapid test result. I’m sure Bridgestone wouldn’t put the policy in place if they didn’t intend to carry it through.

According to the Bridgestone arena website: A printed or digital negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test administered by a healthcare professional within 72 hours prior to a guest’s given event date that includes the guest’s name and the date of the test.

From what I understand, "antigen" means "rapid test". So there's no reason people should be turned away because they got a rapid test.
I guess this means being tested every 3 days? Because this event is a week long.
Bridgestone arena provided a link to free testing sites in Nashville: https://covid19.tn.gov/testing-sites/
Just click the "free testing sites only" checkbox.

How can US Figure Skating not be notifying folks who purchased all-event tickets about the current vax policies at the Bridgestone Arena? I understand that the policies are in effect only until November 15 at this point, but USFS should be providing updates as fans are making hotel and airline reservations. I doubt every ticket holder is checking FSU for updates (but they should be!).

I think it's worry that if they announce it this early, a lot of people will ask for refunds on their tickets and USFSA will lose money. The tickets are super expensive this year for some reason. I feel like they're trying to recoup the costs of not being able to have an audience for a long time. If a bunch of people don't buy tickets at all, or ask for refunds, because of this testing and vax pass policy, then that's only going to hurt them further. So they're either hoping this policy is dropped by January or hoping if they only tell people last minute, they'll just cave and get tests every 3 days, instead of asking for refunds since they've cemented their vacation days from work, bought airline tickets, etc.

I'm glad Las Vegas isn't doing this. I'm hoping Nashville will change its policy by January, or at least only require a test at the start of the week and not every 3 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information