2022 Nationals in Nashville

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

Also, as someone who jets off to Europe just to attend ballets, you consider yourself a "peasant?" 🙄

No live ballets for 18 months, my friend! I traveled only to Russia in lateApril-May for our son’s wedding. I do hope to see live ballet again in September, when I take Amtrak to the NYCBallet opener. Counting the days & minutes. And, yes, I’m fully vaccinated with the Pfizer...since March!

I just didn’t care for the comment by a partygoing NYTimes reporter that it was ok for the party attendees to pack the dance floor maskless because they are “sophisticated”...it was almost a Hillary-like “deplorable” statement, smacking of arrogance.My poor attempt at a joke obviously didn’t take. Mea culpa!!! Now let’s go back to talking about Nashville Nationals, pls.

Last edited:

kiss-n-cry

Team Brown
Being cautious/realistic about the prospect of actually going to Nationals, so I am going to book a refundable airfare. I'm just not sure what day to arrive. Does anyone have "insider" info on whether Scott Hamilton's facility that will be used for the practice ice will be open to spectators? My guess would be no.

Debbie S

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I live in Louisiana where we were worst in the world in new cases a few weeks ago, and we were still having large indoor events. In New Orleans, a vaccine or negative test is required to enter. USFS just needs to step up and make this a policy.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
The only reason I think the negative test is acceptable is for the few people who have legitimate medical reasons for not being vaccinated.

Well, sometimes people under 12 do attend skating competitions. As of now, we have no assurance they will have the opportunity to be vaxxed before nationals.

It would be nice to remember children exist.

Carolla5501

Oh no not again.

After all we spent months hearing they should not have nationals in 2021 people will die!
(As far as I can tell no one died as a result of National).

Well they definitely can’t do worlds in 2021 because people will die. Wait, that was successful. Onto the next problem

They can’t do the world team trophy there’s just way too dangerous they should stop now - once again no real bad outcomes.

So now we started this year’s events in the same chant is going on.

Do we really need four more months of “the world is coming to an end”. Why don’t we just wait and see what happens there’s no need to create hysteria and panic?

sk9tingfan

USFS just had Champs Camp in Nashville and didn't seem to balk at it.
1. They had more control with respect to the circumstances under which the camp was held, i.e. mask wearing, vaccine status, social distancing and and creation of a bubble similar to that held in Las Vegas.
2. They did not have access to Colorado Springs, which due to the upcoming Olympics, was processing too many athletes and sports through the Olympic Training Center to accommodate the camp's requirements during that week. Given the requirements in #1, they took a well calculated risk.

USFSA is undoubtedly very concerned about holding Nationals in Nashville, given the current surge.

sk9tingfan

Oh no not again.

After all we spent months hearing they should not have nationals in 2021 people will die!
(As far as I can tell no one died as a result of National).

Well they definitely can’t do worlds in 2021 because people will die. Wait, that was successful. Onto the next problem

They can’t do the world team trophy there’s just way too dangerous they should stop now - once again no real bad outcomes.

So now we started this year’s events in the same chant is going on.

Do we really need four more months of “the world is coming to an end”. Why don’t we just wait and see what happens there’s no need to create hysteria and panic?
I think there's a two part decision here:

1. Hold Nationals at all, using the same formula that was use last year in Las Vegas. which was a highly controlled bubble arrangement.
2. Hold Nationals allowing spectators whose vaccination status and willingness to be fully vaccinated(those over the age of 12) and be consistently masked as well as respecting social distancing where feasible.

Since USFSA is far less in control of scenario #2 especially in Tennessee because of individuals disrespecting the science at the highest levels of government there, this is a much riskier proposition.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I think there's a two part decision here:

1. Hold Nationals at all, using the same formula that was use last year in Las Vegas. which was a highly controlled bubble arrangement.
2. Hold Nationals allowing spectators whose vaccination status and willingness to be fully vaccinated(those over the age of 12) and be consistently masked as well as respecting social distancing where feasible.

Since USFSA is far less in control of scenario #2 especially in Tennessee because of individuals disrespecting the science at the highest levels of government there, this is a much riskier proposition.
Or maybe they have enough sense to recognize that the situation on the ground in Tennessee is going to be much different in 4 months than it is currently and, while having private conversations with local officials there right now, are keeping an open mind instead of hitting the panic button about what to do.

If all of the people who are hand-wringing right now, in this thread, are that concerned about the potential risk in 4 months of attending Nationals, there is one very simple solution - don't go. Cancel your hotel reservations, sell your tickets, stay home and watch Nationals on Peacock from the comfort of your living room or den. Otherwise, if you do choose to go, then please, quit posting here in the GSD Nationals thread about how dire things are in Tennessee right now - hysteria posting is meant for the WWH forum, not here.

Unless there is some sort of news about changes to the Bridgestone Arena's policy for events or the USFS decides to require vaccinations/negative tests for the event then nothing about what is happening in Tennessee right now is relevant to this thread specifically.

sk9tingfan

Or maybe they have enough sense to recognize that the situation on the ground in Tennessee is going to be much different in 4 months than it is currently and, while having private conversations with local officials there right now, are keeping an open mind instead of hitting the panic button about what to do.

If all of the people who are hand-wringing right now, in this thread, are that concerned about the potential risk in 4 months of attending Nationals, there is one very simple solution - don't go. Cancel your hotel reservations, sell your tickets, stay home and watch Nationals on Peacock from the comfort of your living room or den. Otherwise, if you do choose to go, then please, quit posting here in the GSD Nationals thread about how dire things are in Tennessee right now - hysteria posting is meant for the WWH forum, not here.

Unless there is some sort of news about changes to the Bridgestone Arena's policy for events or the USFS decides to require vaccinations/negative tests for the event then nothing about what is happening in Tennessee right now is relevant to this thread specifically.

This is not a hysterical reaction; it is a measured, educated one. I don't see people screaming at the top of their lungs. I'm one of those individuals who would most likely die if exposed to COVID regardless of my fully vaccinated status. That being said, I have taken the precaution of fully refundable hotel reservations, and delaying a plane ticket, etc. If more people were responsible in terms of getting vaccinated, wearing masks etc. that would lower the odds that the transmission rates will decrease and the virus not continue to mutate, I would feel better about this.

Based on conversation that a friend of mine had with staff at the USFSA, they are "watching this situation very carefully". The last thing that USFSA wants is a super spreader event.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
This is not a hysterical reaction; it is a measured, educated one. I don't see people screaming at the top of their lungs. I'm one of those individuals who would most likely die if exposed to ********* regardless of my fully vaccinated status. That being said, I have taken the precaution of fully refundable hotel reservations, and delaying a plane ticket, etc. If more people were responsible in terms of getting vaccinated, wearing masks etc. that would lower the odds that the transmission rates will decrease and the ***** not continue to mutate, I would feel better about this.

Based on conversation that a friend of mine had with staff at the USFSA, they are "watching this situation very carefully". The last thing that USFSA is a super spreader event.
All of the posts in here about the CURRENT situation in Tennessee ARE hysterical. They are not relevant to what the situation will be in four months and they are meant to induce hysteria and panic. It is laughable to claim that people aren't screaming at the top of their lungs when there are multiple posts in here every single day that have nothing to do with Bridgestone Arena or the USFS' spectator policy, but really should go in the WWH forum, keeping this particular thread on page 1 of GSD even though there is NOTHING NEW about the event in particular. @Carolla5501 had the right of it yesterday morning in assessing what is happening in this particular thread.

Arwen17

So the practice rink will be in a totally different location from the Bridgestone arena? Probably Bellevue or Antioch instead of centennial sportsplex? That's a 20-30min drive, plus time to park, if we're all dashing back and forth between Bridgestone and Bellevue/Antioch. How do people plan for this?

Also, what do local skaters do? I'm planning to skate a little while I'm down there for my own practice. Does Nationals completely take over one ice rink and nobody else gets to skate at all at that rink? Or do they have their nationals practice sessions mixed in with normal FS sessions or scheduled around them?
Any super-lucky chance that some nationals skaters might show up at a "normal" FS session and practice alongside us commoners? ;) I've shared ice with nationally-ranked skaters on rarest of occasions when one randomly stops by to practice at our tiny local rink because they're traveling around the country for competitions. It's a fun feeling sharing ice with them because it doesn't happen every day, since I'm not skating in a massive city like New York or LA.

I haven't skated at their new Bellevue rink yet, and I want to. I've skated at the other two Nashville rinks in the past. So I hope Bellevue runs some normal FS sessions I'm allowed on during Nationals week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information