2022 Nationals in Nashville

YukiNieve

Any events taking place in early January in downtown Nashville? Hotels seem to be expensive than usual. Can the US Nats contribute to this?

Last edited:

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Mom and I will officially be in Nashville! We got tickets in section 117, row D, seats 20-21 (end seats) which are perfect for us (we're not too far away from the friends we'll be rooming with that week so this is very exciting). Mom renewed her FOFS membership over the weekend and we were easily able to buy tickets tonight. :cheer:

@TanithandBenFan I am going to hug you so hard when I see you.....just giving you fair warning when you see the short, blonde girl coming at you like a crazy person, LOL :D :lol: :cheer:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Mom and I will officially be in Nashville! We got tickets in section 117, row D, seats 20-21 (end seats) which are perfect for us (we're not too far away from the friends we'll be rooming with that week so this is very exciting). Mom renewed her FOFS membership over the weekend and we were easily able to buy tickets tonight. :cheer:

@TanithandBenFan I am going to hug you so hard when I see you.....just giving you fair warning when you see the short, blonde girl coming at you like a crazy person, LOL :D :lol: :cheer:
YAYY!!!! @Debbie S and I will be almost across the aisle from you! I am so looking forward to many hugs from all my smart vaccinated friends like you! ❤️❤️

acraven

Nashville is a major music city, but in my multi-decade experience, almost all the hotels near the arena used for Nationals find out about the event in plenty of time to set astronomical rates for Nationals week. It's an annual event. I see comments on FSU sometimes about lower rates when we get very close to the event dates, so it's worth watching for that in December/January if you can deal with the uncertainty of are OK with making an overpriced reservation now and hoping to be able to cancel it when something better comes along.

Another possibility would be Priceline, but that also requires steel nerves because it's something you'd do not very far in advance. For folks not traveling solo there's also the issue that (unless things have changed) Priceline doesn't promise you a room with two beds.

peibeck

Simply looking
A friend who is going with a tour spoke to the operator who indicated that there would be no room blocks for spectators from USFSA. I guess everyone is on their own.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, I was told USFS would post on the nats website hotels offering negotiated rates.

That information usually goes up in synch with general (public) ticket sales. I remember for Boston Worlds they had an initial list, then added more hotels later.

Anyone driving in should probably check to see what daily rate hotel parking costs are also. One hotel I briefly considered, I called to check rates, and I was surprised it was as bad as downtown Chicago prices. (Like $40/day.) :yikes:

Last edited:

rhubarb

I noticed quite a few people here booked the Renaissance. Is it because you have had experience with this hotel or are there specific things that are desirable about this hotel vs. the others? Thank you in advance for any info.

sk9tingfan

Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, I was told USFS would post on the nats website hotels offering negotiated rates.

That information usually goes up in synch with general (public) ticket sales. I remember for Boston Worlds they had an initial list, then added more hotels later.

Anyone driving in should probably check to see what daily rate hotel parking costs are also. One hotel I briefly considered, I called to check rates, and I was surprised it was as bad as downtown Chicago prices. (Like $40/day.) :yikes:
Let's hope that this is true. Hanging on to my reservation until those are released and they are better than the one I got. If you go into the Marriott website and query on The Renaissance, the 3rd through the 9th are blocked off from making a reservation.

sk9tingfan

I noticed quite a few people here booked the Renaissance. Is it because you have had experience with this hotel or are there specific things that are desirable about this hotel vs. the others? Thank you in advance for any info.
It's one of the hotels closest to the arena. The other, The Omni has rates in the $450+ per night level.

jkl

The Renaissance at 611 Commerce in downtown Nashville is the official hotel for Nashville22.
it is an excellent location and adjacent to the brand new 5th and Broadway area (Apple Store, retail, restaurants and food hall) all across from the main entrance to Bridgestone Arena.

rhubarb

Thank you, everyone, for all the helpful info.

ETA: Is slippery sidewalk a consideration if booking a cheaper hotel further away? Google says about 5 days of snow in January and about 1 inch accumulation?

Last edited:

acraven

I've not been to Nashville during snowy weather, but in general I find that places with only rare snow and ice don't do a very efficient job of dealing with that kind of weather. I had to deal with a one-mile walk along uncleared sidewalks the first year Nationals was in Spokane, and that was a challenge. A few blocks probably wouldn't be too bad unless you're mobility-challenged; you just have to start out early so you don't need to hurry.

peibeck

Simply looking
Thank you, everyone, for all the helpful info.

ETA: Is slippery sidewalk a consideration if booking a cheaper hotel further away? Google says about 5 days of snow in January and about 1 inch accumulation?

The average January temperature is 48 degrees, and the Google machine is saying it rarely gets below freezing. Obviously, you never can tell with Mother Nature, but even if the weather is poor for a day, you may consider just asking if your hotel will shuttle you to the arena, or consider a cab or Uber/Lyft. A stretch of very poor weather is probably unlikely. IMO, starting to monitor the forecast a week out from the event is the best time to start figuring out options if there is the possibility of inclement weather. I do agree with @acraven that most areas in the south are not the best equipped for winter storms (I mean, look at the nightmare that was Texas this year!) however. Major metropolitan areas where there is high traffic (car and foot) are probably more likely to take care in getting roads and sidewalks passable. I hope this puts your mind a bit at ease. :)

rhubarb

I've not been to Nashville during snowy weather, but in general I find that places with only rare snow and ice don't do a very efficient job of dealing with that kind of weather. I had to deal with a one-mile walk along uncleared sidewalks the first year Nationals was in Spokane, and that was a challenge. A few blocks probably wouldn't be too bad unless you're mobility-challenged; you just have to start out early so you don't need to hurry.

The average January temperature is 48 degrees, and the Google machine is saying it rarely gets below freezing. Obviously, you never can tell with Mother Nature, but even if the weather is poor for a day, you may consider just asking if your hotel will shuttle you to the arena, or consider a cab or Uber/Lyft. A stretch of very poor weather is probably unlikely. IMO, starting to monitor the forecast a week out from the event is the best time to start figuring out options if there is the possibility of inclement weather. I do agree with @acraven that most areas in the south are not the best equipped for winter storms (I mean, look at the nightmare that was Texas this year!) however. Major metropolitan areas where there is high traffic (car and foot) are probably more likely to take care in getting roads and sidewalks passable. I hope this puts your mind a bit at ease. :)

Thank you both for your kind and helpful messages :)

A.H.Black

It is hilly. If you look at a map of the blocks near the arena, walking away from the river is up hill. Walking toward the river is down hill. I remember it being a bit of a hike up to the hotel after competition.

AnnM

On a scale of 1-10 relative to the hills of San Francisco, how hilly are we talking about? Because I was once told KCMO was "hilly" and I was very confused after I got there. 😉 Like, am I going to need to hang on to the exterior of buildings so I don't topple downhill?

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Kansas City is only hilly in that some think it is completely flat as all they hear is Kansas and they picture the western plains of Kansas. It’s like my family says they have mountains in their area of Colorado. They live on the western slope and their “mountains” aren’t what people envision when they hear Colorado mountains.😂 I’m not sure any US city can beat San Francisco or Seattle for true hills.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Kansas City is only hilly in that some think it is completely flat as all they hear is Kansas and they picture the western plains of Kansas. It’s like my family says they have mountains in their area of Colorado. They live on the western slope and their “mountains” aren’t what people envision when they hear Colorado mountains.😂 I’m not sure any US city can beat San Francisco or Seattle for true hills.
There are parts of Kansas that have hills though. I mean real ones. Maybe smaller than what I consider a hill but definitely something you'd notice walking up.

A.H.Black

On a scale of 1-10 relative to the hills of San Francisco, how hilly are we talking about? Because I was once told KCMO was "hilly" and I was very confused after I got there. 😉 Like, am I going to need to hang on to the exterior of buildings so I don't topple downhill?
If you are used to San Francisco, you will be fine.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
San Franciscohas go be some soft of unique. So manyKansas City is only hilly in that some think it is completely flat as all they hear is Kansas and they picture the western plains of Kansas. It’s like my family says they have mountains in their area of Colorado. They live on the western slope and their “mountains” aren’t what people envision when they hear Colorado mountains.😂 I’m not sure any US city can beat San Francisco or Seattle for true hills.
San Francisco has to hold some don't of record for hills per sq mile
Multipleked by grade of the hill.

Driving there requires a unique skill set. I made both my daughters master those hills with a manual transmission. This is an art. Invariably some tourist at the top of a hill at a stop sign would think it a grand idea to pull up right.behind you. Hello! I am going to roll backwards as I take my foot off the brake and engage the clutch.

Alas the city by the bay is no longer there. It has been replaced by squalor, drug addicts and homeless encampments. Such a shame. It in was glorious.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Yes, San Francisco is crazy with the hills but there are also parts of the City, especially near the baseball park, the Embarcadero and Fisherman's Wharf where it's fairly flat and walking long distances isn't an issue - I walked, plenty of times, as a kid, from Pier 39 all the way down to Ghirardelli Square and I've never been on the fit side, even as a teenager. Same thing is true of Portland - get into some of the residential areas right outside of downtown or on the east side of the city and it's just as hilly as San Francisco, but when Nationals and Skate America were held there, I would have told anyone they'd be fine walking across the river from a downtown hotel to the Rose Quarter because it's all relatively flat.

So, the real question is... What's the terrain between the hotels and the arena?

Last edited:
Reactions: jkl

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information