2022–23 Canadian Pairs: News and Updates

shutterbug

I don't think he's skated with Patricia Andrew -- she's only 17 now and would've been about 11 when he was available in 2016. He skated briefly with Allison Eby between Hope McLean and Evelyn
Thank you! That's right, it was Allison Eby. Shame that partnership didn't work out, IIRC, they seemed quite promising in the short time they were together.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I don't know why people here are so obsessed with Lubov as a potential partner for Trennt. There are a couple of Canadian women on IPS whose names jump out at me as more likely options than Lubov - Chloe Choinard and Meghan Fredette. Who knows, though, who he will partner with.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
I don't know why people here are so obsessed with Lubov as a potential partner for Trennt. There are a couple of Canadian women on IPS whose names jump out at me as more likely options than Lubov - Chloe Choinard and Meghan Fredette. Who knows, though, who he will partner with.
I agree. I get that Lubov is revered around here, but she is not the partner Trennt can climb the ranks with.

honey

Because two consistent triples is considered table stakes for most top pairs teams (and has for over a decade now). Lubov has never been able deliver on this. Heck, even if she could consistently deliver on one of the triples, I would entertain the idea of her as a potential partner. But those thinking she is going to suddenly develop the ability to jump consistently at age 30 are living in another dimension.

Also, hard disagree with those who don’t think her poor jump technique is a major part of the problem. She has very poor picking technique on the toe loop and an overall tendency to rush. If she fixed the picking technique to a degree, she could get away with some of the rushing she does in competition.

If Trennt wants a partner to pursue professional opportunities with, then by all means he should call her up. But if he wants to achieve more than he did with Evelyn in the competitive world, then I do not think she should be on his list of potential partners.

honey

Is there a pairs team right now with two consistent triples?
Of course with the Russians out, the bar is lower for two consistent triples. But for how long will they be out? I am not betting it lasts this entire quad. And while the rest of world is in a bit of a pairs reset right now, I expect things to build back up to a respectable level within a season or two. I don’t think the current landscape of pairs is what we will see for the next four years.

So, if he’s aiming for medals long term, then yeah, a partner with at least a realistic chance to land two triples should be on his list of requirements. An Alexa/Brandon level chance of landing both jumps is what he should be looking for at a minimum. That is to say, fully within their grasp of technical ability. And sorry, but from where I sit, this is not within Lubov’s technical ability.

million$momma

Chloe is almost as tall as Evelyn...Meghan is a few inches shorter.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
This is exciting :D it feels like we haven’t had as many mystery partner announcements in recent years.

I feel bad saying this but I wasn’t a big fan of W/M as a team. To me the lack of height difference and sometimes unsteady lifts made me nervous. I saw them live and in practice and was really worried but it was a few years ago and maybe they improved. I am pleased she retired on her terms and it’s a friendly split, and am really looking forward to seeing how Trennt does with a new partner. Lubov coming back would be exciting, or someone less experienced could be good for a longer term partnership. Either way - we just need more pairs!

Thiiiiiiis, re: W&M. I was dreading seeing them win Canadians this year, as if the 1995-1999 era wasn't bad enough for Canadian pair skating. I wasn't far off considering a ritual sacrifice for Deanna & StudPartner to keep that from happening.

Every time they did that rickety split lift, I wanted to scream at Skate Canada for inflicting them on us. Thank god James & Radford came back last year.

I agree. I get that Lubov is revered around here, but she is not the partner Trennt can climb the ranks with.

However, I have to agree with this. Lubov has been away from competition for a few years. Her last partnership ended horribly, and I don't think her last year competing with Dylan was exactly idyllic either. Does she even want to return? And if so, is pairing with someone inexperienced comparative to her? What is Trennt is another Michael Marinaro, who traded in his tall partner for a shorter/more traditional pair girl, but still suffered with lifts. We can critique her jumps all we want, but I don't see how this partnership would be beneficial for either of them.

I'd love to be wrong, however. Big fan of Lubov, and Trennt is certainly full of potential. I just don't see enough potential in them together to get my hopes up.

bozzy

leah lee doesn’t have pairs experience but maybe she would be open to trying it? She seems short enough for Trent and also has 3 (i think) of her triples

Sylvia

TBD
From the end of Beverley Smith's High Performance Camp article - link is posted here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...2023-national-team.109802/page-2#post-6290012
Canada has only three pairs at the camp, but pairs skaters are scarce throughout the world. Slipchuk said for a long time, they had skaters like Eric Radford in the sport for a long time. Three years ago, Canada had a group of teams that sprouted, did one season, then stopped. “It’s been a bit of an ebb and flow,” he said.
The youngest of the three teams, Brooke McIntosh, 17 and Benjamin Mimar, 21, were national junior pair champions last year and won the bronze medal at the world junior championships. They joined forces in March of 2020, just two weeks before the shutdowns from COVID. “We just have to build,” Slipchuk said.
Numbers of pair skaters in junior Grand Prix are low – and that doesn’t bode well for the future, world-wide. “We’re always looking,” Slipchuk said.
Trennt Michaud, currently without a partner with the retirement of Evelyn Walsh, is looking. Slipchuk expects developments in a couple of weeks, but does not want to rush anything. “You don’t want to go out unless you are ready,” he said. “Hopefully, if all goes well, there will be a challenge at Canadians.
“I think we’ll develop a good group that can take us through the next quad for sure.”
As Deanna Stellato-Dudek says: “The [low] number of pairs in Canada and worldwide is a year of opportunity.”
ETA:

Since Lia Pereira has been focusing on her recent international competitions in singles (won the Junior gold at Cranberry Cup last month and placed 6th at the JGP in Courchevel last week), it seems likely that nothing will be decided until they have had some time to train together IF that is the plan (eta) and this information is correct.

She previously skated with James Robart-Morgan in the 2017-18 season and they placed 9th in Novice Pairs at 2018 Canadians.

Last edited:

honey

He isn't registered for a competition. Skate Ontario is requiring skaters to register to have scores tracked if they wish to qualify for the sectional competition.
In any case, he is registered for something and my point was I don’t get how one would put a partner’s name down in error (which is what had been suggested in this thread/on Twitter). Seems most logical and he has chosen Lia, no?

Sylvia

TBD
3 Senior Pairs are listed in the 2023 Skate Ontario Final Sectional Qualifying Registration As of 12:00pm September 2, 2022 (scroll down to the end of page 5): https://skateontario.org/wp-content...-Sectional-Series-Qualifying-Registration.pdf

1 Brooke McIntosh Benjamin Mimar Canadian Ice Academy
2 Lia Pereira Trennt Michaud Brant Skating Club
3 Summer Homick Marty Haubrich Skater Esterhazy

Also listed in Senior Women: Lia Pereira Milton Skating Club

nuage

In any case, he is registered for something and my point was I don’t get how one would put a partner’s name down in error (which is what had been suggested in this thread/on Twitter). Seems most logical and he has chosen Lia, no?
I personally agree. I didn’t understand why people were so sure it was a mistake.

shutterbug

Sept. 19, 2022 Laurie Nealin article on Kemp/Elizarov: https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/featured/2022/09/19/spectacular-rise-for-teenage-figure-skaters

The story is free to read, but you will need to enter an e-mail address. If anyone is not comfortable doing so, I've quoted a few passages:
Not in their wildest dreams did Winnipeg teens Ava Kemp and Yohnatan (Yoni) Elizarov imagine they would land on the podium at their first international competition in Latvia earlier this month — a mere 14 months after they first gave pairs figure skating a try.
The hard work will continue as they prepare for their second Grand Prix assignment. They plan to up the ante in technical difficulty by upgrading their throw double salchow jump to a triple and increasing the difficulty level of their lifts and death spirals. Finessing the performance side of the scoring equation is also on their to-do list for Poland.
To accommodate this season’s demanding competition and travel schedule, which will see both partners continue to compete in singles as well as pairs, Kemp switched to home-schooling after completing Grade 8 at Collège Béliveau. Elizarov, a Vincent Massey graduate, delayed his computer science studies at the University of Manitoba until the winter semester.

The two train 25 hours each week, splitting their on-ice sessions between the Jonathan Toews Sportsplex and Winnipeg Winter Club. Daily strength and conditioning training as well as dance and theatre classes are also on the agenda.

Since launching their partnership, Kemp and Elizarov have travelled to Mississauga, Ont., every few months to work with experienced pairs coach Andrew Evans. They also skated there this past summer, and regularly connect with Evans via Zoom to fine-tune pair elements during training in Winnipeg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information