2019-20 GP Selection (19-20 June)

Dobre

Before today, I thought seeded skaters get priority, medalist don't compete against each other and get assigned to their home GP, if applicable. So Hanyu getting NHK makes sense. I thought Higuchi WD her GP assignments due to injury last year.

No, Higuchi went to SC. Satoko was given the host spot, probably because she won Nationals and finished higher at the Olympics. They could not both go to NHK because they both medaled at Worlds, but the host Fed decided who got the NHK berth. It didn't go to the higher seeded skater. It went to the skater who was ranked higher at home.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
There is no requirement that the Top 3 skaters be assigned as host picks, if they are part of a host nation and/or, there aren't two from the same country in the group. Most often they are, because they are who the crowd wants to see. And some Feds seem to offer a host spot to their National champions by default.

I think the evidence says the reverse. Hanyu is going to NHK, isn't he? (Though rumor said it fit Nathan's schedule better than France). Satoko went over Higuchi last season, though Higuchi was seeded higher.
According to Lakernik, the medalists can negotiate with each other. I'm guessing in Japan, if the Fed made it known they wanted Miyahara (National Champion) over Higuchi, that would have been the negotiation.

But, unless Chen and Hanyu or their reps had a sit-down and negotiated, I agree that NHK points to host first, Top 3 second.

Last edited:

all_empty

Happy tears? I hope so. That seems to be how people are taking it, anyway.

I hope so.

She has a WR of 11 so two assignments were expected.

I'm curious about the TBD JPN ladies spot at NHK. It's unlikely that Honda will medal in China given the stacked field. Ditto with Yokoi in Russia. Maybe they'll give Hosada the spot as she's training mates with Kihira and another Axel queen!

The way these assignments are slotted, we might be looking at 5 russians in the Final and Kihira.

Dobre

It's a good sign that Karen has two and a good sign that she got SA. It means USFSA has her back.

It's a good sign that Ting got two non-host spots. She wasn't guaranteed them so it is a good sign that she could get them and didn't need the SA one.

At least that is how I choose to interpret both of these lovely events on the same day :).

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
What makes you say this?
I don't remember any comeback or return skater/team who was assigned only one aside from Gold last year, and she may have preferred one, or at least was only interested in late GP's and those hosts had other plans.

I think a return team or split couple team might have only gotten one somewhere along the line from the 7-12 pool.

. I thought Higuchi WD her GP assignments due to injury last year.
It wouldn't have mattered to the initial selection.

Dobre

I don't remember any comeback or return skater/team who was assigned only one aside from Gold last year, and she may have preferred one, or at least was only interested in late GP's and those hosts had other plans.

I think a return team or split couple team might have only gotten one somewhere along the line from the 7-12 pool.

Coomes & Buckland had none initially from the 7-12 pool but it seems likely their Fed didn't submit them.

Edmunds only had one.

Gracie was not even in USFSA's international selection pool prior to receiving her spot at Rostelecom last season.

And take it for what it's worth, but there was a quote from Virtue & Moir saying they did not have two guaranteed berths when they came back.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Coomes & Buckland had none initially from the 7-12 pool but it seems likely their Fed didn't submit them.

Edmunds only had one.

Gracie was not even in USFSA's international selection pool prior to receiving her spot at Rostelecom last season.

And take it for what it's worth, but there was a quote from Virtue & Moir saying they did not have two guaranteed berths when they came back.
Polina Edmunds was a comeback skater? Did they raise it to top 6 recently because she was never top 6 at world's?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
If USFS didn't submit her name, Gold wouldn't have had a spot; the ISU tends to be more protective of the Feds than the Nebelhirn organizers who let in Miki Ando directly, even though their application requires the Fed's signature. :;

Thank you for reminding me of Edmunds.

I don't know what USFS' rules are about the ISP and GP spots, or whether there is an exceptions process if they want to not comply for some reason.

V/M are correct: they weren't guaranteed two, although, by practice, everyone in their position had gotten two. The French, US, and Russian Feds had skin in the game to not invite them and for them not to qualify at GPF -- there was a pile of cash at stake, for example --, while the Chinese and Japanese Feds didn't, and they were chosen for NHK as well as the SC host spot.

ETA:
Polina Edmunds was a comeback skater? Did they raise it to top 6 recently because she was never top 6 at world's?
She was a return skater, someone who missed the prior season, but had placed 7-12 in at least one of the two seasons before that. She wasn't guaranteed anything, but expected to be considered for one, and was eligible for a second. Almost everyone in this circumstance got two.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Why is Wakaba posting crying emojis on twitter?
Let's begin with this tweet.
She couldn't win the lottery for Tokyo 2020 summer Olys tickets. And she burst into tears.

And several hours later she posted this.
It must be happy tears since she was guaranteed only one ticket for GPS and then it turned out she got 2 spots.

Such a roller coaster of emotions. Love this girl! :lol:

caseyedwards

Russia always plays games with their GP but no US ice dance teams and weak pairs to compete against the Russians makes me think that the ISU should look into how Russian is running their COR.
USA teams don’t want to go to Russia. End of story

Tinami Amori

Rostelecom still up to its game of watering down their events and stacking it in favor of Russians... Rostelecom is ALWAYS THE MOST boring event... I wish ISU would step in.... And all of their withdrawals will be replaced with skaters I have to google. Frustrating.

I wish ISU would step in and reassign their ENTIRE roster for Ice Dance and for Pairs.

Rostelecom pairs is even more frustrating. They have only 2 teams they picked that have ever stood on a GP podium (and they are Russian, imagine that).. fast forward to the next week in Japan and all the teams but one have stood on GP podiums.

Dont get me started even more on Rostelecom's selections for Dance and Pairs. Lol, see my post at the top of this page.

Russia always plays games with their GP but no US ice dance teams and weak pairs to compete against the Russians makes me think that the ISU should look into how Russian is running their COR.
US teams did not submit their "wishes" with Cup of Russia on the list.... Russians had to pick from "the best Canadians" available, and P/C had their picks, and Russia was not on the list.

But i am so glad that Russia yet again pissed you off Jammers, and Willin, and ANL.... Keep staying pissed off, while Russia stays in the top of Figure Skating... :biggrinbo And don't let the bile corrupt your intestines.. you'll need it intact for the next few years or decades.. ;)

Dobre

Actually I don't think Russia's top home dance team at Rostelecom has made it to the World or Olympic podium during the same season since 2005-06 so I don't actually think there's much evidence that their Rostelecom strategy is working for them.

But, you know, whatever. Rostelecom has had some nice dance fields along the way. 2016 and 2017 were quite good.

Last edited:

seabm7

Krasnozhon and Bycenko each got only one ticket, though both ranked higher than 24. Interesting.

DobrinFan

Krasnozhon and Bycenko each got only one ticket, though both ranked higher than 24. Interesting.

Krasnozhon was top 24 in rankings, he was guaranteed only one. If his SB was so darn low (49), he could have gotten 2 like Camden (36). I expected him to only get one.

SkateFanBerlin

In singles I'm not so interested in individual skaters as the direction the discipline takes. For example, last year after they tightened the scoring for men's quads there turned out to be only 4 skaters - Uno, Hanyu, Chen, Zhou - with reasonably consistent quads of 3 types. Maybe add Orzell and a resurgent Jin this year. The rest are way inconsistent at multiple quad types - i.e. Kolyada or 1 quad per program wonders - basically everyone else. So there will be a couple skaters at the very top technically (jumping). The competition will mainly be between the rest.

The ladies' situation is different. Juniors coming up with quads and 3A's to join Kihira. Will they have just enough to edge out the 3-3 gals - Zagitova, Med, Myahara, etc? Looking forward will these new seniors retain their advantages after a couple years?

It will be an interesting year for scoring.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Who doesnt love a matchup?

Figure skating Grand Prix series: Eight matchups to watch – OlympicTalk

SkAm ladies: Um, thats right they better mention Ms. Tennell. How will Anna stack? Medal? yes? What were PBs last season internationally?

Anna is the National Champion of Russia? Not The Trusova. Correct?

So SkAm is gonna have 2 ladies who have quads and then Tuks with her 3axel??? Hmmmmm my stomach is churning now. lol

Article summary:

Men's Best Matchups: SkAm, IdF, Rostelecom

Ladies Best Matchups: SkAm and NHK

Pairs Best Matchup: NHK

Dance Best Matchups: SkAm, IdF

Last edited:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I think it's funny how everyone is already predicting the "best matchups" to come since we all know how likely most of those rosters are going to change anyway due to withdrawals, injuries, surprise retirements, etc.

I'll be doing my predictions when it's the right time which is right before the actual competitions.

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
What match-up look like on paper and what happens on ice are very different

rfisher

Let the skating begin
There's only one replacement I'd care about and sadly I don't see it happening unless I convince Sotskova or Sakhanovich it's in their best interest to go do other things. :sekret: Then the RussianFed would just drive a stake into the last shriveled bit of my heart and give the spot to Perkova rather than Gubanova. :drama:

natsulian

The ladies' field will be a bloodbath and NO ONE, absolutely no one is guaranteed a trip to the Grand Prix Final. The aura of mystery and apprehension surrounding each event will be insane. Best of luck to each and every single lady entering the arena.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
There's only one replacement I'd care about and sadly I don't see it happening unless I convince Sotskova or Sakhanovich it's in their best interest to go do other things. :sekret: Then the RussianFed would just drive a stake into the last shriveled bit of my heart and give the spot to Perkova rather than Gubanova. :drama:

Bribed by @Jeschke, no doubt. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information