2017-2018 Program Music and Choreographers

quartz

scratching at the light
Ah. So, much like the murder, treachery, betrayal, infidelity, stabbing, poisoning, treason, and general madness and mayhem of how many opera/ballet/classical programs we've seen over the past few decades?

Isn't that some of the very things we love about figure skating? :p

ETA, also - sorcery, war, terrorism, destruction, debauchery, horror, and general despair and dread? o_O

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
ETA, also - sorcery, war, terrorism, destruction, debauchery, horror, and general despair and dread? o_O

10.0 for Janny. :encore:

Dust in the Wind is cool. I'm not over the moon about it but it's pleasant, like his Beatles SP.

Tinami Amori

Ah. So, much like the murder, treachery, betrayal, infidelity, stabbing, poisoning, treason, and general madness and mayhem of how many opera/ballet/classical programs we've seen over the past few decades?

Don't forget pest-control (nutcracker), bestiality (swan lake, firebird), and geriatric wet-dreams (too many to list)...

aftershocks

Banned Member
I don't recall any skater ever using Dust in the Wind, at least at the top international level. It will be interesting to see what Patrick does with it. He is very talented when it comes to interpreting nuances so expect he'll do the music justice.

As to Hallellujah, I'm just very meh. I'm a die hard Leonard Cohen fan, so prefer his original version the best. But I don't recall any skater ever using the original.

More than one skater has skated to Cohen's version of Hallelujah, whether it was competitive or exhibition. I just can't recall who or when exactly. And @el henry is correct about Deanna/Nate's very memorable sp last season sung by Three Canadian Tenors. As @VIETgrlTerifa aptly states, Buckley's version of Hallelujah is very haunting and personal. I love it, and it's a great choice for Patrick! I'm so excited to see what he's able to do with it. I also echo @Jeschke's exclamation of approval re Dust in the Wind for Patrick's sp. :watch: :kickass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0zSB2WEtwU The lyrics here are also haunting and personal for Patrick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIF4_Sm-rgQ Buckley's Hallelujah (phrasing & interpretation to-die-for :inavoid:)

Buckley's live performance version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8AWFf7EAc4 :encore:Spine-tingling

Ok, I'm going to be the mala voce (what else is new;))

Dust in the Wind is a *horrid* tune. I hated it in the 70s, when it was all over the radio (yes, young'uns, we had this thing called radio, we listened to it) and time has not improved my opinion. "All we aaaaerrre is Dust in the Wind....." I can't get that horrible vocalist's voice out of my head:scream: Patrick is waaaay better than this song.

I also don't like Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah. There is, to my surprise, a listenable version of Hallelujah by "Three Canadian Tenors". Nate and Deanna used it last year. Patrick, Canadian tenors, come on, at least use that one!

But it looks like I am the distinct minority:D

You are right about Deanna/Nate... I don't agree with your other feelings. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj86HA-RiNE sp U.S. Nats S-D/B

Dust in the wind is such a dreary depressing song

Yeah well, life can sometimes be dreary and depressing. It's the testimony of art, poetry, music, figure skating, etc., that uplifts us and inspires us to overcome the pain; to get up and keep trying. Patrick Chan is never dreary and depressing on the ice, even on a bad day.

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
:watch: I bet you it's Carmen. Maybe Phantom? They've already done Les Mis, I don't see them going after Black Swan or Don Quixote, so I think it'll be Carmen.

One good thing about Chan's music selection is that if he biffs it up til next Tuesday, he can just say that it's a euphemism for his theme and the interpretation will be more authentic. :EVILLE:

I do think it's beautiful though and will highlight his skating skills really well. It's just kind of :rofl: to see people lose their sh!t when it's so sad and melancholy. "OMG yes, it's depression!" :cheer:

SkateFanBerlin

:watch: I bet you it's Carmen. Maybe Phantom? They've already done Les Mis, I don't see them going after Black Swan or Don Quixote, so I think it'll be Carmen.

One good thing about Chan's music selection is that if he biffs it up til next Tuesday, he can just say that it's a euphemism for his theme and the interpretation will be more authentic. :EVILLE:

I do think it's beautiful though and will highlight his skating skills really well. It's just kind of :rofl: to see people lose their sh!t when it's so sad and melancholy. "OMG yes, it's depression!" :cheer:
We need a warhorse roulette wheel. Skaters who can't decide, are in last-minute panic or have no taste could leave it the fates!

SkateFanBerlin

I think the other versions are really orchestrated and fully-produced, but it seems Patrick wants a rawer, more introspective version. I think Jeff Buckley's version was chosen because it seems more personal and less theatrical. Probably the mood he wants to give for his Olympic program.
I think Hallelujah is a haunting choice for Patrick - the philosopher-skater. An operatic farewell tour. Let us shower him with bouquets. (I'm not being mean. I think he knows even with the breathtaking programs he's capable of skating won't turn back for him or anyone else)

clairecloutier

I've heard Chock/Bates Lala-Land is not going to happen. I also heard they had another Free Dance after that and now again a new one... which means 3 different programs, AGAIN! My source is reliable.

Eeeek!! :eek:

I'd been wondering ... things have been awfully quiet with them. And they still haven't announced their short dance, right??

Spiralgraph

Dust in the Wind? I"m old enough to remember listening to that song way back when, and it's haunting in a way and very depressing in another. I wouldn't choose to skate to it.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I've heard Chock/Bates Lala-Land is not going to happen. I also heard they had another Free Dance after that and now again a new one... which means 3 different programs, AGAIN! My source is reliable.

Which likely means the elements they eventually show (lifts, spins and steps etc..) will have been the same for all three programs.

chapis

just when we realize that La la land won´t be so overused like we thought, they decide change it :mad:. Honestly I thought that La la land would fit them really well. Or maybe they already watched Ashley´s program and it is a masterpiece (ok, I can dream ).

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I just re-watched Sasha's version of Hallelujah. GORGEOUS. Patrick won't be able to do that. She was utterly amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information