2017-2018 Program Music and Choreographers

VGThuy

My favorite example of that is the fact that Anissina/Peizerat won gold skating to a Martin Luther King voiceover, and Lobacheva/Averbukh almost took it from them skating to strumming guitars, with some woman wailing about how there's a time to die while L/A were covered in ashes and wearing torn clothes representing 9/11. But I guess ice dance is different. ;)

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
and Lobacheva/Averbukh almost took it from them skating to strumming guitars, with some woman wailing about how there's a time to die while L/A were covered in ashes and wearing torn clothes representing 9/11. But I guess ice dance is different. ;)

YES! Thats exactly what Im talking about.

And, then I spent 8 months trying to get that music from L&A because it was so different and unusual. Commentators said it was a piece I thought that was created for them. I did eventually find this interesting music. Thats is what Im talking about, and that for me, makes an Olympic moment.

I just went to go look at my playlist. Its called A Time For Peace by Rita!!!!!!

DobrinFan

Be careful. You might run into a swan if you run in that direction. Try the other way. Nope. La La Land over there. You may have to dive for it. (Be sure not to hit Chopin, Vivaldi, or Rachmaninov on your way down). There's no point going up. Only Turandot and R&J up there.

I actually like all the warhorses. But that version :scream: This is like Adelina's Carmen, Bolero, and Rondo Capriccioso all over again :wall: But whatever makes Gabby happy :shuffle:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Be careful. You might run into a swan if you run in that direction. Try the other way. Nope. La La Land over there. You may have to dive for it. (Be sure not to hit Chopin, Vivaldi, or Rachmaninov on your way down). There's no point going up. Only Turandot and R&J up there.

:rofl: :rofl:

I was so excited to hear what Gabby's SP music was going to be a month ago, she was sooo excited about it in the Golden Skate interview with Ted (on Golden Skate's YouTube channel). She called it spunky, sassy, so her, etc. I was like yes!!! It has to be good!!!!

Fast forward to now. It turned out to be Carmen. :rofl:

Gabrielle Daleman is going to be a fierce Carmen. :cheer2:

I hope it's not "Fate of Carmen" though or she'll never hear the end of it!!

Last edited:

jenny12

I don't mind the warhorses when the alternatives were ABBA :barrel and Kenny Loggins :gallopin1 I'll take Carmen any day of the week...

While I've whined abount being fed up with warhorses before, I can't argue with that! ;)

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Don't forget Barbara Streisand, also Michael Bolton. :scream: Kenny G, Justin Bieber, Josh Groban, Clay Aiken.. oh dear. :gallopin1Carmen is a revelation.

sus2850

Someone listed "La La Land" already among the warhorses. But who apart from Ashley (and Misha Ge for an exhibition) is using it? I do not recall.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Someone listed "La La Land" already among the warhorses. But who apart from Ashley (and Misha Ge for an exhibition) is using it? I do not recall.

Da Bin Choi used it for half a season. And I think some pairs or dance team is using it this season.

chameleonster

Yes, Chock/Bates announced it as their FD. Da Bin Choi won't be reusing her La La Land program though(and it was only half La La Land anyway, the other half was Steven Universe). A bunch of lower ranked skaters have been using it at club comps, but in terms of skaters that will actually be in seniors and competing internationally, it's only been Ashley and C/B as far as I know. Some other skaters could still announce of course, but so far it hasn't been nearly as much of an onslaught as some have feared. Possibly because Ashley and C/N hopped on their announcements so quickly before anyone else could consider it.

Dobre

If you are referring to my post, I referred to it along with the warhorses. Not as a warhorse;).

Yes, Chock & Bates. And not that it will matter to most people, but Wolfkostin & Zhao--last year's U.S. intermediate dance champions. So we have three versions cued up thus far for this year's U.S. Nationals.

Dabin has a new SP this season.

I do find it ironic that Chock & Bates selected the most recent hit movie musical for their FD at the last Olympics (Les Mis) and for this one (La La Land). After being quoted as having "found themselves" last year with Under Pressure, they then chose to return to the same strategy they used in 2014? Personally, I have no opinion of La La Land. If we have as many versions as we had of Les Mis during the last Olympic season, it will be a bit much. But if so, then we will also likely have at least one that stands out from the pack. (I thought Pang & Tong had the best Les Mis in 2014, and I've noticed that their version has been reused successfully since then).

sus2850

Thank you for the info. I quite like "La La Land" and hope Chock/Bates are using "City Of Stars" then as Ashley decided not to go for it. It would be odd if nobody uses it because of the fear it might be overused.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
I do find it ironic that Chock & Bates selected the most recent hit movie musical for their FD at the last Olympics (Les Mis) and for this one (La La Land). After being quoted as having "found themselves" last year with Under Pressure, they then chose to return to the same strategy they used in 2014?

I think they're trying to re-create their 2014-2015 season more than anything; La La Land has shades of An American in Paris.

Marco

For Carmen, I wish skaters would try Maria B's cut in 2000 or Fumie's cut in 2005. That said, few had used Katarina W's cut in 1988. The music for the posing section was iconic for Carmen.

Marco

@Marco, are you able to go to the Asian Open Trophy (Aug. 2-5 in HKG) and see some programs debuted in competition there?

There appears to be some interesting Korean and Japanese skaters competing (and Kailani!) so I am tempted. There is no info about ticketing though. It's an open rink so perhaps all spectators walk in for free?!

There also appears to be live streaming: http://www.megaice.com.hk/promotion/festive-event/2017-asian-open-figure-skating-trophy.php

Dobre

I think they're trying to re-create their 2014-2015 season more than anything; La La Land has shades of An American in Paris.

Yes, that is the impression I have too as far as the likely feel of the program. It was their highest finish at Worlds, and coaches/teams often think that way. I am keeping an open mind.

For what it's worth, I just saw An American in Paris on stage for the first time, and it was so exquisite. The dancers were so stretched, with gorgeous line, and the meaning of the story had such real depth. I've never seen a skating program to that music with the same feel.

seabm7

Technically, they are not Olympic eligible age-wise:

http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/bulletin/2017/07/25/0200000000AKR20170725131100007.HTML

Lim Eun-soo

SP: Rich Man's Frug from Sweet Charity OST
FS: Grand Guignol by Bajofondo Tango Club / Oblivion by Piazzolla

Kim Ye-lim
SP: Riverdance
FS: La La Land

You Young
SP: Don't Rain on My Parade, choreo by Shae-Lynn Bourne
FS: Pirates of Caribbean, choreo by Shae-Lynn Bourne

manhn

I would've liked a more dynamic SP for Patrick, but I know I will love the LP. Although the Olympics would be my ideal (not the Team Event), if he can skate perfectly in at least one event that is televised next season, I will be pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information