2017-2018 Program Music and Choreographers

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
The Elton John version makes me weep, seriously, it's like my personal kryptonite. No clue why, which makes it all the more puzzling.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
:summer: enjoy the summer @misskarne :40beers:

Makes it even worse. It's not summer here, it's the dead of winter! :lol:

I do think that was the issue with Pillay and Max. Max simply didn't have the dance training to pull off the choreography. That is not a slight to Max (who I love!) just a fact. Probably why Max moved on to other choreographers; just not a good fit.

While I'm not disputing Max's lack of dance training, did you hear the music cut? It was awful. And some of the choreography was out-and-out puzzling and didn't seem to utilise Max's speed and power and the song's explosiveness at all. Make him explode into the chorus! I mean, Max's lack of dance training probably didn't help, but it was far from the only thing wrong with that program.

Which was a shame, because I remember an interview with Pillay at the time where (paraphrasing) he said that after working with Max in person he was shocked that people kept saying he was unartistic.

mag

@misskarne ITA about the cuts. They were beyond terrible! I remember finding it quite shocking because Pillay is usually so good a choosing the cuts and having them put together well. No idea what happened with footloose. I also completely agree with Pillay that Max is artistic but I stand by my assessment that he doesn't have a strong dance background. I think he hears the music really well but his body doesn't have the training to allow the expression that is in his brain to flow easily to his limbs. (I think it also didn't help that Max may not have had the daily support to help grow/improve his ability to express the music.)

So to bring this back to Karen, if she has a strong dance background I think that Pillay may be able to bring out something quite interesting and different, even if the music choices are fairly mainstream.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I would prefer "Don't Rain on My Parade," but I can live with "People."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZTSuMErgsw
"... Don't tell me not to fly. I simply got to. If someone takes a spill, it's me and NOT YOU! Who told you you're allowed to rain on my parade?!"

Ah yes, true @Dobre. I too vote for Don't Rain on My Parade! But Gracie can do whatever she wants. Her life is her own, and she's gotta live it.

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I don't recognize the singer either, but I do know that most of that music is not from Carmen - only the vocal tracks are. If I had to guess, I'd say she had someone compose the rest of it.

The singer is Rebecca Luker and this is the album information and full piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4arDF6CApg

No special composition- this is the actual song. I always thought that was a real masterpiece for Maria. The footwork sequence in the middle matches the music so perfectly, and the ending is especially unique.

Tavi

The singer is Rebecca Luker and this is the album information and full piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4arDF6CApg

No special composition- this is the actual song. I always thought that was a real masterpiece for Maria. The footwork sequence in the middle matches the music so perfectly, and the ending is especially unique.

Thanks for letting me know who the singer is!

Not to be obnoxious or anything, but Carmen was the first role I ever sang, and I know the music very well. This clip is labeled as "derived from" Carmen because Cafe Del Mar took music from the opera (the vocal tracks you hear) and combined it with other music.

http://www.cafedelmarmusic.com/

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Thanks for letting me know who the singer is!

Not to be obnoxious or anything, but Carmen was the first role I ever sang, and I know the music very well. This clip is labeled as "derived from" Carmen because Cafe Del Mar took music from the opera (the vocal tracks you hear) and combined it with other music.

http://www.cafedelmarmusic.com/

It's obviously a big variation on Habanera as interpreted by Cafe del Mar, but not composed specially for Maria as you suggested. That's what I meant :)

aftershocks

Banned Member
I'm missing something?, I don´t love the song, but it seems people has other kind of problem with it :confused:.

I just don't understand what the music and lyrics has to do with those particular visuals/fight scene. There's no back story and it don't make sense to me, unless there's a movie attached to this that I know nothing about, which is entirely possible. And still those vocals/lyrics simply do not fit!

@Jeschke's link to Takahito's recent costume disaster shouldn't require any explanation as to our :p :eek: :yikes:, no?

chapis

I just don't understand what the music and lyrics has to do with those particular visuals/fight scene. There's no back story and it don't make sense to me, unless there's a movie attached to this that I know nothing about, which is entirely possible. And still those vocals/lyrics simply do not fit!

@Jeschke's link to Takahito's recent costume disaster shouldn't require any explanation as to our :p :eek: :yikes:, no?

oh, ok, so the problem is only the weird video y possible horrible costumes :rofl:. Well, unfortunately if he likes strange costumes, he will get it with whatever music he chose.

aftershocks

Banned Member
oh, ok, so the problem is only the weird video y possible horrible costumes :rofl:. Well, unfortunately if he likes strange costumes, he will get it with whatever music he chose.

But if you read the article link @Jeschke posted, you will see that Takahito was not known for wearing crazy costume disasters until that one. Maybe he's trying to take more chances, but is being misguided in the wrong directions?

There's also nothing that special about the music/rhythm/vocals that I can see to explain Massimo's excitement. But, to each their own, as usual. :)

chapis

But if you read the article link @Jeschke posted, you will see that Takahito was not known for wearing crazy costume disasters until that one. Maybe he's trying to take more chances, but is being misguided in the wrong directions?

There's also nothing that special about the music/rhythm/vocals that I can see to explain Massimo's excitement. But, to each their own, as usual. :)

it is the first time that I hear that song, but after the same old music that everyone are choosing, especially japanese skaters, I think this is not so bad. Or maybe it is just me still in shock because of Karen´s choices :wuzrobbed

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I've always thought that song would work for a skating program, not necessarily with Mura though. :shuffle: but good for him. Maybe a :inavoid: pairs team will do it next.

aftershocks

Banned Member
it is the first time that I hear that song, but after the same old music that everyone are choosing, especially japanese skaters, I think this is not so bad. Or maybe it is just me still in shock because of Karen´s choices :wuzrobbed

:lol: Oh well, I think Courtney Hicks' choices (including choreographers) would have worked well for Karen. But the choices are doing wonders for Courtney, so I have no complaints. I'm willing to wait and see what happens with Chen-Pillay collaboration, though I too am tepid re her music choices. It might have been a good idea for Karen to keep her sp, and work on putting together a great fp, as well as shoring up her weaknesses & working on her mental strategy.

Good luck to Taka-san. But the music is not special, nor do the vocals have much impact. Not exactly horrible, but something is missing re what the concept is all about and what connection the lyrics really have to do with anything. But perhaps the lyrics have meaning for Massimo and Takahito. Or the song is somehow seen as 'cool'? Taka Mura is not an especially expressive or dynamic skater, but off the ice I see he has an appealing personality.

I've always thought that song would work for a skating program, not necessarily with Mura though...

The opening of the song seems to be attempting to build up to something dramatic, but then the singer's voice, phrasings, and the lyrics (for me) simply do not deliver. Let's see what Massi and Taka do with it though. Hopefully Taka-san will wear a simple and not an OTT costume. :drama:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information