Royalty Thread #11: Putting the "Fun" in Dysfunctional

Status
Not open for further replies.

canbelto

Ok back to royal news, the BRF gave out the Nurse and Midwife of the Year awards.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I read a really interesting article part of which had to do with how the Royal Family (particularly Kate) keep slim given all those fancy occasions they must attend.

I cannot find the article (have been looking for two days)....I will post a link if/when I do.

Some points I remember:

1. The Queen eats 4 small meals a day
2. The Queen selects her menus 3 days in advance
3. No Garlic, no lipstick on glasses
4. No shell fish (too easy to get sick) She is secretly a Jew (I always knew this)
5. The Queen serves small portions
6. There is no asking for seconds.
7. You must wait for the Queen to begin eating before you do.
8. You are finished when the Queen stops eating.

So I would imagine that you would not put on weight if you spent a week with the Queen.
Kate has a naturally small frame, and undoubtedly a good metabolism. She has a personal trainer, three kids and likes the outdoors. That would keep you thin.

Judy

I read a really interesting article part of which had to do with how the Royal Family (particularly Kate) keep slim given all those fancy occasions they must attend.

I cannot find the article (have been looking for two days)....I will post a link if/when I do.

Some points I remember:

1. The Queen eats 4 small meals a day
2. The Queen selects her menus 3 days in advance
3. No Garlic, no lipstick on glasses
4. No shell fish (too easy to get sick) She is secretly a Jew (I always knew this)
5. The Queen serves small portions
6. There is no asking for seconds.
7. You must wait for the Queen to begin eating before you do.
8. You are finished when the Queen stops eating.

So I would imagine that you would not put on weight if you spent a week with the Queen.
Kate has a naturally small frame, and undoubtedly a good metabolism. She has a personal trainer, three kids and likes the outdoors. That would keep you thin.

I never knew she was Jewish?

once_upon

Better off than 2020
🤣 I never really think about what they eat but they are just people at the end of the day.
:respec: obviously they eat or they would die. :p

No one I know would judge someone for eating in public. If anything people are concerned if you don't eat in public - food is a social experience

I've worked several departments and organizations and the only time cake/food was left in the breakroom uneaten was when the general conclusion was the cake was awful. Even then there were people who would eat it.

I've never experienced gas or gastric distress eating onions nor have I heard that before (and I have IBS). Guess you learn something everyday from FSU.

Judy

:respec: obviously they eat or they would die. :p

No one I know would judge someone for eating in public. If anything people are concerned if you don't eat in public - food is a social experience

I've worked several departments and organizations and the only time cake/food was left in the breakroom uneaten was when the general conclusion was the cake was awful. Even then there were people who would eat it.

I've never experienced gas or gastric distress eating onions nor have I heard that before (and I have IBS). Guess you learn something everyday from FSU.

I have some family/friend members that can’t eat onions/garlic. So many food sensitivities for some people. The ones I know have acid reflux.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I know some people who don't eat onions or garlic for religious reasons. It makes group lunches very hard!

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I have some family/friend members that can’t eat onions/garlic. So many food sensitivities for some people. The ones I know have acid reflux.
IIRC the no garlic has to do with having "garlic breath" while speaking to your guests.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Of course eat. But for chrissakes you dont want to be the person seen eating pizza at the office. People will gossip about you. At a party nibble on some horse d'oeuvres. Take food home or back to your desk. If you're a woman and you eat in public ppl will judge you. Even at restaurants I'll only eat in front of ppl I trust. Otherwise its salads only.

I'm sure royal women follow the same rules.

This is one of the most bizarre posts I’ve ever read on FSU. As a professional woman in good standing, I not only have treated my staff to monthly pizza lunches at the office, I’ve always tried to hire at least one person who also liked anchovies.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Of course eat. But for chrissakes you dont want to be the person seen eating pizza at the office. People will gossip about you. At a party nibble on some horse d'oeuvres. Take food home or back to your desk. If you're a woman and you eat in public ppl will judge you. Even at restaurants I'll only eat in front of ppl I trust. Otherwise its salads only.

I'm sure royal women follow the same rules.

You clearly have never been in my office then; when the pizza arrives (provided by the bosses whenever we have a particularly productive period), it's a mad rush, girls and guys alike; if you're not eating pizza everyone will check in with you to make sure you got a slice (if you want it); in fact, because we do staggered lunchbreaks, the bosses will usually order two deliveries (the "early" and "late") so that everyone can have a slice.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I'm :lol: at the idea that celeriac is some obscure ingredient. Anyway, they may be alternatives that provide flavor, but given how different that flavor is they're not really substitutes. Just like herbs and spices are flavorful but in a different way. You don't need a royal chef for that.

The whole speculation about royals and what they eat is pretty funny. Most of the time they just eat at home, and presumably it's whatever they like.

Maybe in your neck of the woods, celeriac root is better known and common. But it's not that well known in the U.S., as the articles indicate. I haven't yet been able to locate any in nearby food markets, but it probably is available somewhere locally.

Obviously, the flavors that substitutes and alternatives offer are not exactly the same. That's actually part of the point -- substitutes can offer unique and different flavors that are robust enough we won't miss the ingredients we may need to forego for health or other reasons.

That said, I don't see any reason in the world to split hairs over celeriac root or any of the other listed alternatives to onion and garlic. Bon appétit to royals and commoners alike! :D

You may think the speculation about what royals eat is 'pretty funny.' The documentary that I linked tells us otherwise. At least some of the royals are fairly particular and serious about gastronomic matters for grand occasions and for chilling at home in the palaces, watching television. :glamor:

Japanfan

As a person of Asian-descent as well, my entire family (talking extended family in the hundreds) love eating in public or any excuse to have some sort of party. Maybe it’s also a class thing, and I’m too lower/working class haha.

There is a Filipino restaurant here where people eat with their hands - the restaurant provides plastic gloves. The food is laid out on a long rectangular table, on banana leaves (or something like that).

I passed by the restaurant recently and there was a huge party of Asian people digging in and having a great time. The food looked wonderful, and I like the concept.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I would happily dig into an Ethiopian meal at a work group lunch. But, because everyone has their own germs to spread and/or avoid, we'd have to do individual platters, not the group one.

Goldilocks, a very popular Filipino restaurant, used to be two blocks from my Vancouver apartment until it decamped to Burnaby and was replaced by a Kohler store. When I could eat carbs, I used to go their all the time for one of their deserts. I don't remember anyone eating with their hands, but people, almost none of them white people, were eating happily in front of each other, including people dressed in work clothes. But I've had lots of Thai appetizers where you get leaves and fixings, and you fill up the leaves, wrap them, and deliver them hand to mouth. (Or in my case, half hand to mouth, half lap napkin to hand to mouth.)

Parsley Sage

At one job, I kept a list of the standing pizza order at my desk along with other things used regularly. We'd order pizza about 4 times a year. Me and 20 guys.

At another job we'd fight over the leftover pizza to take home. Or snack on it through the afternoon.

Lorac

Wow - this is thread drift of the greatest magnitude!!! Hopefully we get some pics from the BAFTA's tomorrow to bring us back onto topic :D

Reactions: mag

MacMadame

Doing all the things
You may think the speculation about what royals eat is 'pretty funny.' The documentary that I linked tells us otherwise.
The fact that there is an entire documentary about what the royals eat is pretty funny in and of itself! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information