Should spins and steps be worth more under IJS?

Tinami Amori

I would love to see spins like this encouraged, by marks and levels.

fully inverted camel spins

.. and maybe like on roller-skates, travel-camel spins..

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I really think this discussion should be in the Trash Can. I don't see any link for article, video, interview. etc. that started this discussion, the way I have seen in GSD.

Last edited:

bardtoob

binbinwinwin

I think there should be less levels and more freedom for them but the GOEs can be re-defined and increased so that strong, beautiful positions or flow and coverage can be rewarded. There's a lot of spins just done for the sake of getting the level 4 done and even good spinners don't match their spins exactly to the program because they have to switch positions and get the features in.

I think no longer requiring the Biellmann for a level 4 layback was one of the best decisions the ISU ever made to scoring, we get to see something like Akari Matsuoka and Emmi Peltonen's spins hit level 4 and are very nicely centered with strong positions and good speed with less struggle biellmanns.

Sylvia

TBD
I think there should be less levels and more freedom for them but the GOEs can be re-defined and increased so that strong, beautiful positions or flow and coverage can be rewarded. There's a lot of spins just done for the sake of getting the level 4 done and even good spinners don't match their spins exactly to the program because they have to switch positions and get the features in.
:respec:

From an archived thread:
This forum [GSD] is for news, yes, but also for current skating issues and technical discussion. The Trash Can is for fan threads, rehashing old competitions, polls, and silliness.

...But if there is ever doubt in your mind about the correct location for a thread, the best way to address that is to report the thread to the admins so we can move it--or not.
(CC: @Vash01)

Last edited:

Marco

I agree. Too much emphasis is on levels because GOEs are also based on levels. There are too many ugly sit spin variations in the world that grind to a halt but still get called level 4.

If increasing BV for these non-jump elements is not preferable, I would like spins and steps to go the route of the ChSq (i.e. unleveled, but with basic structural requirements and high GOE relative to BV) so that skaters can focus on quality and their relation to the music / program on these elements.

Rock2

I don’t have time to read a lot of what is posted in the trash can, and since this is numbers heavy I think GSD could be fine. We have moderators for that, though!

I actually think the scale of values and GOE’s, at least in singles skating, are working well now. But I still think top skaters are getting generous GOE versus the mid-level skaters who might do elements really well but not get rewarded appropriately.

Most skaters can pull off level 4 spins, but most skaters are not able to do quad jumps. There has to be enough of a differentiation technically IMO.

I think most of us feel the PCS needs an overhaul, though.

Agree for the most part. The issue with GoE and PCS is they aren't scored correctly. THAT's the overhaul skating needs.

Being a bit OTT here but I would have Lucinda Ruh only at about +4 for most spins because her positions aren't always precise. The best spins in skating right now are mostly about +3 to me.

In general the highest scores should be almost impossible to achieve.

briancoogaert

I actually think the scale of values and GOE’s, at least in singles skating, are working well now. But I still think top skaters are getting generous GOE versus the mid-level skaters who might do elements really well but not get rewarded appropriately.
Thank you ! That's exactly my thought. And we can say the same about PCS. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information