Pairs Discussion Thread 2017-18--"Two Skating as One"

clairecloutier

Sui/Han and Peng/Jin are out of Four Continents.

https://twitter.com/GF2445/status/954520095866331136

Hmmm ... Alexandrovskaya/Windsor for the win? :watch:

Normally, I'd say it would be Ilyushechkina/Moscovitch. But with Dylan's hand injury, not so sure ....

Either way, definitely a great opportunity for the lesser-ranked U.S. pairs and Canadian pairs to make an impression.

MAXSwagg

Just watched all the pairs. For me, don't really see how Zabiiako didn't win the SP, and arguably didn't win the whole event. Tarasova/Morozov 221?? GOEs and PCS were absolutely unconscionable across the board at this event. Don't see any "scandal" that James/Cipres were 4th. They were also overscored in the SP, imo, everyone especially relative to what Zabiiako/Enbert did. At least in the SP, they are certainly performing and interpreting much more than Morozov! I really don't think he has ever smiled or changed his expression in any program.

angelflies

Banned Member
I really hope that Savchenko & Massot win the Olympic Gold and not Sui & Han and that Duhamel & Radford get the bronze and not the absolutely hideous and ghastly Tarasova & Morozov and their garbage LP this year. That is my main two hopes for the Games. Also that the Knierims end their career with the skate of their lives even though it is obvious they wont medal.

hanca

Values her privacy
I really hope that Savchenko & Massot win the Olympic Gold and not Sui & Han and that Duhamel & Radford get the bronze and not the absolutely hideous and ghastly Tarasova & Morozov and their garbage LP this year. That is my main two hopes for the Games. Also that the Knierims end their career with the skate of their lives even though it is obvious they wont medal.
Well, I hope that Duhamel/Radford do not get a medal. I don’t mind in what order sui/Han and Savchenko/Massot get theor gold and silver, but the bronze definitely not Duhamel/Radford. It is enough that they were world champions, that was painful enough!

hanca

Values her privacy
I dont know why so many people have this beef with D&R. Why dont you go out there and do what she does?

crickets...

case closed.
I don’t think people have beef with D/R. They just don’t like their skating. That’s nothing personal. My aesthetic feelings are hurting pretty bad when I watch them skate.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
But you have no problem with someone calling Evgenia and Vlad "hideous and ghastly"? What did they do to deserve that?

OK you need to check yourself, Boo.... These words aren't in my vocabulary.. Show me any post where I said that? Your confusing me with someone else perhaps.

And who the heck is Vlad? CHECK YOURSELF NOW PLEASE!

bumblebeevich

Banned Member
I am not a fan of Duhamel & Radford and never have been. I would like to see them get a medal, probably the bronze, just because as 3 time World Champions, and a team that has pushed the sport so much athletically and have been such strong and determined competitors when they were never the fan favorites, most talented, or judges darlings, it is fitting they win an individual Olympic medal. I am glad we are in a situation they have almost no shot at the gold, as I concede I do not wish that for them; although I wouldn't begrudge them even that if they deserved it on the day but definitely not what I am rooting for. However I would like to see them get a medal, probably the bronze, I think for all they have given pairs skating they deserve an individual Olympic medal, the only they are missing.

Of the top 5 or 6 teams Tarasova & Morozov are probably the ones I least want to medal. They are riding the favor of Russian fed politics, they are skillfull technicians but even there not unbelievable and they don't do a single element nobody else is doing or someone else cant do as well or better, and their presentation and programs are still very undefined and don't stand out amongst the field at all. Their long program choreography and music is also terrible this year. I would even rather Cipres & James medal than them, even though I know with politics and corrupt judging in reality their chances of a medal are way above Cipres & James, and probably way above Stolbova & Klimov which is a crime but they have clearly stolen away the title of Russian fed. darling from S&K. Had Stolbova & Klimov won the 2016 worlds as they should have had they duplicated their 2016 Grand Prix final winning performances it would be entirely different, even with their bad twist, but when they messed up there, the Russian fed put their new plan in motion for younger T&M to take over as new Russian #1 almost immediately and S&K had no hope once they blew the 2016 worlds.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
OK you need to check yourself, Boo.... These words aren't in my vocabulary.. Show me any post where I said that? Your confusing me with someone else perhaps.

And who the heck is Vlad? CHECK YOURSELF NOW PLEASE!

boo? check yourself? Are we 12 here?

zebraswan was, correctly, pointing out that you took issue with people not liking Duhamel/Radford, but you didn't call out and left alone some of the quite derogatory comments about Tarasova/Morozov, implying that you had no objection to those.

And anyone who had even looked at a pairs entry list for more than two seconds could tell you that "Vlad" is Vladimir Morozov.

I'd love to see Tarasova/Morozov medal. The meltdown here would be rather fun. But I'd also like Duhamel/Radford to medal, because I'd always had the impression that people don't like them because they don't conform to "traditional pairs skating".

MAXSwagg

Duhamel and Radford only have two world titles, thank god. And one of those was because S/K and Mozer were stupid. The other because of North America and “bad Russia!” Very, very funny levels for all those Russian pairs at Boston.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
boo? check yourself? Are we 12 here?

LMAO talk about name calling. Maybe I am 12. what are you 3? Would make sense to me Boo.

Anywhoooo my husband and I and several other friends call each other Boo.

So since your sticking your nose in business that aint yours... some poster is accusing me of saying things that he/she recalls from another poster. And also about Vlad.... and yeah, didn't know Vlad was in reference to Morosov.

Sorry my pairs experience is below your threshold of 2 seconds. I hope my 2 Masters will someday be equivalent to your knowledge. Sigh....

nimi

According to isu.org,
Kyueun Kim/Alex Kang Chan Kam (KOR) withdrew from the event before the Short Program due to a shoulder injury for Kam.
I sure hope withdrawing was a preventative measure and in a couple of weeks they'll be able to skate at their home Olympics.

Besides, there's currently no back-up S. Korean pair, right?

Skittl1321

My officemate, who is not a figure skating fan, came in raving asking if I had seen the pairs performance to "Sound of Silence". She was telling me about how it was the most amazing skating she had ever seen, and she was just in love with these skaters, and was wondering if I had ever heard of them.

The skaters: Morgan/Cipres. She was very shocked to hear they were not the best in the world.

I think this is why I'm glad there are lyrics in skating. I don't think she would have ever seen it if it weren't for the song.

And my day started with her looking up youtube videos to share with me. Love watching skating at work :)

Last edited:

butyrskafanatic

Banned Member
Duhamel and Radford only have two world titles, thank god. And one of those was because S/K and Mozer were stupid. The other because of North America and “bad Russia!” Very, very funny levels for all those Russian pairs at Boston.

The Boston one is since Sui & Han messed up mainly. And Stolbova & Klimov did not duplicate their Grand Prix final performances which would have won.

Nobody was beating Duhamel & Radford in 2015 though. S&K would not have either, they had already lost to them handily at the Grand Prix final that season.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
My officemate, who is not a figure skating fan, came in raving asking if I had seen the pairs performance to "Sound of Silence". She was telling me about how it was the most amazing skating she had ever seen, and she was just in love with these skaters, and was wondering if I had ever heard of them.

The skaters: Morgan/Cipres. She was very shocked to hear they were not the best in the world.

I think this is why I'm glad there are lyrics in skating. I don't think she would have ever seen it if it weren't for the song.

And my day started with her looking up youtube videos to share with me. Love watching skating at work :)

For some reason that video just randomly started going viral recently. I've heard friends and family raving over it. The description that ran with it certainly made it sound like the best in the world. :D But if a skating video was going to go viral, that's a good one!

Skittl1321

For some reason that video just randomly started going viral recently. I've heard friends and family raving over it. The description that ran with it certainly made it sound like the best in the world. :D But if a skating video was going to go viral, that's a good one!

That's what I was thinking- it was really cool to have someone come in raving about skating.
And I really think it is because of lyrics. (I mean, it helps that they are super attractive, and it was a good performance- and if they are good skaters even if they aren't the best. But I think people connected to the song, and that's why it spread.)

Sylvia

TBD
According to isu.org,

I sure hope withdrawing was a preventative measure and in a couple of weeks they'll be able to skate at their home Olympics.

Besides, there's currently no back-up S. Korean pair, right?
Are the siblings Su Yeon KIM / Hyungtae KIM still skating together? Their ISU bio ( http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054997.htm ) indicates they haven't competed since Nebelhorn Trophy and they didn't enter the Korean ranking competition in early December (to earn a spot on the 4CC team) and were not at Nationals (CC: @spiral9509).

ETA from the Korean news thread in GSD:
The possibility of an injury has worried me ever since the other South Korean team, Kim & Kim, announced they were retiring, leaving Kim & Kam as the only remaining pair team for South Korea.

Last edited:

nimi

Are the siblings Su Yeon KIM / Hyungtae KIM still skating together?
I think I heard something about an injury and that they quit but can't offer a reliable source, just my vague & unreliable recollections (sorry!)

laviemn

Five days ago Russell Crowe tweeted the link to their FS at WTT to his 2.7 million followers. That video had 3.1 million views 3-4 days ago, now it has 4.7 million. From what I've heard of Crowe's own band, I'm guessing he loves the song. I think this is what the ISU was hoping for when they allowed lyrics.

https://twitter.com/russellcrowe/status/954466766805061633

Sylvia

TBD
Replying to @aftershocks in this thread:
Have they stopped listing the nations judges are from? If so, when did this directive come down?

Pairs sp judging panel:
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/fc2018/SEG005OF.HTM
I haven't looked it up online but maybe the judges for ISU Championships are still not listed by country (this happened at Europeans, too).

ETA:

ISU Rule 353 section 4 [Publication of results] c) states: "For all figure skating competitions, Championships, Events and Olympic Winter Games, the Judges names and their respective scores will be published."

So the judges are still linked to their scores in the protocols but it's not mandatory for their countries to be listed in ISU Championships like they were during the ISU Challenger/Grand Prix season? The judges' countries can be looked up online in ISU Communication 2111 (updated Jan. 11, 2018).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information