Lubov and Dylan - Wowza!

clairecloutier

^^ Yes, I think Luba/Dylan are definitely the most accomplished pair NOT to make it out of their country to the Olympics this year. To have been 6th and 7th at Worlds the past 2 years, in such very competitive fields, was a big deal IMO. Plus they also had GP medals and 4CCs bronze last year. Although they were always a bit vulnerable due to side-by-side jump inconsistency, I still didn't see this coming. After Worlds last year, I thought things would only improve; there was no reason to think otherwise. I still wonder if there was an undisclosed injury this summer/fall, as well as the more recent one.

To have an accident like Dylan did, just before Nationals, is such horrible timing ... I can't imagine how frustrated they are right now. That, alone, could possibly explain any tensions at this time.

semillon27

I am gutted for this team but was not surprised at the result after watching the season unfold, even not knowing about Dylan's late injury. I also wonder whether anything might have been different had they spent the early season not trying for the throw quad, but instead focusing on the SBS jumps and getting comfortable with that LP.

Skate Talker

I still wonder if there was an undisclosed injury this summer/fall, as well as the more recent one.
To me the chemistry in the KnC all season has been off somehow - they didn't seem hostile but just not really connected as in the past. Maybe an injury or some other problem. In their earlier interview video, (IFS?), where they discussed this being their last competitive season and future plan, and also in the feature on Lubov's citizenship ceremony all seemed great, though so don't know what to think.

skatfan

To me the chemistry in the KnC all season has been off somehow - they didn't seem hostile but just not really connected as in the past. Maybe an injury or some other problem. In their earlier interview video, (IFS?), where they discussed this being their last competitive season and future plan, and also in the feature on Lubov's citizenship ceremony all seemed great, though so don't know what to think.

I think that was the Golden Skate interview. I wonder if there's some back story to his accident affecting their relationship - not thinking high drama, but carelessness -- that's led to them missing out on training and being able to perform well. That's all speculation, of course.

nyrak

Wow wonder how that happened. That’s not something you hear about every day.

I'm not sure, I didn't ask a lot of questions...heard this from a competitor's father shortly after I & M's long program. I imagine the door came off the tracks somehow & crashed down on him?

The father spoke very highly of Dylan, and Eric Radford, saying they were excellent role models & had helped his son a lot.

kdpair

I think that was the Golden Skate interview. I wonder if there's some back story to his accident affecting their relationship - not thinking high drama, but carelessness -- that's led to them missing out on training and being able to perform well. That's all speculation, of course.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
I'm with all of you, really, really bummed for Luba and Dylan. Hoping they can pick themselves up and either finish with a few strong competitive performances (4CCs if they go, Worlds if they go) and have a long, lovely show career. I don't really want to see her skate with someone else now.

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
Sadly, imo there is no such thing as a show career anymore.
There seem to be more show opportunities in Asia and, to a lesser extent, Europe, than North America. I don't know if Luba and Dylan have the same following overseas as, say, Elladj.
Otherwise, it would be hard to survive on CSOI income alone. There is Disney, and cruise ships, but can't imagine them in those shows.
Maybe they will go on to coaching, Luba in skating and Dylan in martial arts.
I wish them the best whatever their future holds.

barbarafan

There seem to be more show opportunities in Asia and, to a lesser extent, Europe, than North America. I don't know if Luba and Dylan have the same following overseas as, say, Elladj.
Otherwise, it would be hard to survive on CSOI income alone. There is Disney, and cruise ships, but can't imagine them in those shows.
Maybe they will go on to coaching, Luba in skating and Dylan in martial arts.
I wish them the best whatever their future holds.

I doubt very much Luba&Dylan will be asked to do CSOI. They are very strict on inviting according to placements and tend to ignore artistic beauty and audience appeal. They asked Elvis Stoiko and ignored Shawn Sawyer. He was only called in last yr when Elvis was injured. I hope I am wrong about this but I do not hold up much hope.

blue_idealist

I doubt very much Luba&Dylan will be asked to do CSOI. They are very strict on inviting according to placements and tend to ignore artistic beauty and audience appeal. They asked Elvis Stoiko and ignored Shawn Sawyer. He was only called in last yr when Elvis was injured. I hope I am wrong about this but I do not hold up much hope.

Shawn Sawyer was 'in' for a couple of years before due to a fan petition, so maybe the same sort of thing can be started for D&L.

skatfan

There was no carelessness on Dylans part l!!!A faulty hinge !!!He is lucky to be alive with ONLY concussion and cuts . So unfortunate that it happened so close to nationals

Glad to hear. There seemed to be strain between the two of them.

barbarafan

Yeah, Elvis has no audience appeal.

I like him ok but his real appeal was jumps..and now we Juniors doing more than those jumps so...........
Shawn is a terrific entertainer & some people only go to see him.
If I/M were in it I would actually go as it is in MTL this yr.

barbarafan

Glad to hear. There seemed to be strain between the two of them.

I think that is bunk...I am sure she was very stressed at the shape he was in and so was he...Big responsibility. A shame their PCS were not relevant to the beauty of the performance. Oh Well. I hope he is ok at 4CC....after that long plane ride..

skatfan

I think that is bunk...I am sure she was very stressed at the shape he was in and so was he...Big responsibility. A shame their PCS were not relevant to the beauty of the performance. Oh Well. I hope he is ok at 4CC....after that long plane ride..

I said seemed and it was just my perception as I noted. Bad day?

lynnmacd5

Is Lubov still young enough to continue on with a new partner? I love watching her skate. They did perform in CSOI in 2017 so maybe they will be invited back?

luckiest1

This is my favourite pair and I was in Vancouver for Canadians. It was heartbreaking to see them on gala practice the day after the free skates. Dylan seemed OK once his buddies arrived, there were hugs all around including Lubov of course. But Lubov seemed so sad the entire practice, I feel so bad for her. I hope that she can continue on with another partner if she wishes to compete again next season. What a horrible accident to happen to Dylan so close to Nationals.

Skate Talker

I said seemed and it was just my perception as I noted. Bad day?
I had been sensing a different "atmosphere" between them in the KnC all year, not just at nationals, so for me the accident and feelings about nationals performances was not a complete explanation. But as with you, just my perception.
In the Golden Skates interview Lubov had made it clear that she was not seeking to extend her competitive career with another partner and planned to retire with Dylan. Of course, all this may change without the semi-expected Olympic berth as I would imagine that was a very strong motivator for her, but given her competition inconsistencies with jumps, maybe not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information