Lubov and Dylan - Wowza!

CassAgain

I think the free has much potential.

I have some concerns, though, about both programs. Something is going on with the twist. It scored significantly lower in both programs than it did last season. Hope they are tinkering with it and it will emerge better than ever.

What is up with the lift in the short program? They are giving points away on what is consistently their strongest element. I hoped that it was just a filler when they did it in the summer competition, but there it was again. Surely they are going to fix that before Skate Canada?

I was surprised they didn't go for the quad Sal throw in the free; hope to see it soon.

Gorgeous, best ever 3T2T. Yay!

Both programs seem like works in progress in terms of expression. I want more from Liubov, especially since she is such a performer. Def. want more connection between the two, especially in the free.

Not trying to be overly critical--I am a die-hard with them, just wanted to get some thoughts about these concerns.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I am in shock..I just watched TSL and Dave was not nasty insulting nor horrible about I/M...I am also surprised that Sandra Bezic even spoke with him after the things he said after Cdn's last year...He only made nice comments. Not sure what is up but I do appreciate it.

Dave just enjoys having his cake and eating it too. He loves the snark, which does not mean he doesn't offer some interesting insights. He's fighting to maintain some relevance and likely attempting to get back into some good graces. He even tried to defend some of his snark against Ash Wagner in his response to comments by Youtube posters who took him to task re this latest broadcast.

I like I/M's programs, and I appreciate the Barb/Paul references in the lp. To me, I/M's sp and some movement qualities in their lp are obviously inspired by James/Cipres' sps from last season and this season. I think the sexy vibe approach works for I/M, even though they do not have the same spark and connection that Barb & Paul, and James/Cipres have.

screech

I kind of predicted they would miss the team, based on history:
2009 Kaitlyn Weaver gets citizenship, 2010 WeaPo just miss the O's
2013 Piper Gilles gets citizenship, 2014 G/P just miss the O's

2017 Lubov gets citizenship, 2018 I/M miss the O's.

shan

I kind of predicted they would miss the team, based on history:
2009 Kaitlyn Weaver gets citizenship, 2010 WeaPo just miss the O's
2013 Piper Gilles gets citizenship, 2014 G/P just miss the O's

2017 Lubov gets citizenship, 2018 I/M miss the O's.

I know! This has been in the back of my mind since the citizenship came through. I was hoping they would break the curse. :( :(

nimi

I know! This has been in the back of my mind since the citizenship came through. I was hoping they would break the curse. :( :(
So at this point we can say that there are TWO Canadian Olympic Curses in place.

And this one sucks way more that the original one IMO.

So thanks a lot, Skating Gods. /s :wuzrobbed

aftershocks

Banned Member
I hope she gets a new partner and stays around for a while, she has so much to offer.

Anything can happen I suppose, but Dylan and Luba said in the fall that they were going to retire and skate professionally after the season was over. However, that may have been a decision based upon their expectation of making the Olympic team.

It's so sad seeing I/M's disappointment. Music and choreo are so important to successful programs, and that's been seen time and again this season for so many skaters. But it's always been true.

Debrah

It was not the programs; it was the execution of the programs that was the issue likely due to injury, etc. Just bad timing that it happened to mess up training for National's. Sigh...But they will be awesome show skater's and whatever they choose to give back to the sport will go on to inspire/aid the next generation of skater's. Or, hmmmn Liam Firus could use a dance partner if Dylan has to take some time off to heal; just dreaming out loud...

barbarafan

I hope she gets a new partner and stays around for a while, she has so much to offer.
Lubov is a Canadian National Treasure...I am heartbroken. They have said this was going to be their last year. Dylan has completely supported them $wise living and skating wise except for the pittance he got from Skate Canada..Lubov just started to get funding.Such a shame. It was important to Dylan for her to have her trip to the Olympics. Does anyone know what happened to Dylan's hand & what the damage is? I am crushed that I will not see them at Olympics.

aliceanne

Given their body language I'm not so sure they will stay together. I don't know what pro opportunities they will have with their lack of medals and poor showing this season.

In retrospect they probably would have been better off retiring last season and leaving people wanting more.

Taking time off helped Tessa Virtue, but Dylan is 32 and has competed singles, dance, and pairs, there is a limit to what any body can take.

Lubov didn't come out of it so badly. She got to have a senior career and go to Worlds 3 times. She got expedited Canadian citizenship and can now live and work in either Russia or North America without worrying about visas.

As a fan, I'm glad I got to see them.

Last edited:

barbarafan

Given their body language I'm not so sure they will stay together. I don't know what pro opportunities they will have with their lack of medals and poor showing this season.

In retrospect they probably would have been better off retiring last season and leaving people wanting more.

Taking time off helped Tessa Virtue, but Dylan is 32 and has competed singles, dance, and pairs, there is a limit to what any body can take.

Lubov didn't come out of it so badly. She got to have a senior career and go to Worlds 3 times. She got expedited Canadian citizenship and can now live and work in either Russia or North America without worrying about visas.

As a fan, I'm glad I got to see them.
Their body language is all in your head....I think you r in the wrong thread.

clairecloutier

I also am not sure how much we will see them after this event. I'm afraid all the attention will be on the 3 Olympic teams. And I wont be surprised if they WD from 4CCs due to Dylan's injury.

Has there been any comment from them yet? I searched but haven't found any articles.

I'm sad for them, especially Luba. Dylan at least went to Sochi.

victoriajh

trying to ignore rod and find the eurosport feed
I was the most impressed with the LP yesterday- all season it felt flat to me and while if stronger skated it would have taken up up a level.. it was a connection I had been longing for all season that finally emerged.... KMT and MM has spark yesterday but their program was a SNOOZE.... what a load of blah.... give me I/M over them any day.... I am GUTTED for dylan and Lubov.... i really thought they would pull it off and break teh curse!!!

sk8girl

Their body language is all in your head....I think you r in the wrong thread.

I was at the rink in Vancouver and their body language was not good at all. It was very noticeable and it was a concern for those of us who were hoping they would do well... Watching them today in gala practice, they appeared to only be talking or acknowledging each other when absolutely forced to as part of the rehearsal... (Of course they are disappointed with how the competition went, but Dylan seemed to be his old self otherwise, laughing and chatting and joking around (which I was very happy to see).) I was having a lot of trouble imagining them skating shows together (or 4CCs), but I hope they get past whatever is happening so that we get the opportunity to see more from them.

nyrak

Lubov is a Canadian National Treasure...I am heartbroken. They have said this was going to be their last year. Dylan has completely supported them $wise living and skating wise except for the pittance he got from Skate Canada..Lubov just started to get funding.Such a shame. It was important to Dylan for her to have her trip to the Olympics. Does anyone know what happened to Dylan's hand & what the damage is? I am crushed that I will not see them at Olympics.

I heard in the arena Dylan had an accident with a sliding glass door which left him with a concussion & a 9-stitch cut in his hand. This was sometime in December (I think) and he wasn't allowed to spin (and I assume that includes jumping too) until January 1.

canadianskater

I feel terrible for this team. Imagine being 2nd and 3rd at the last 3 Nationals and top 10 at worlds twice. Then getting a concussion right before the most important Nationals. This may be a little bias because I prefer this team over S/B and MT/M but I honestly think they would have gotten the bronze had he not gotten injured. MT/M deserved their spot, but their skating skills (even with the improvements) are not even close to I/M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information