TV casting inside jokes

gkelly

Now that I've been watching Korean dramas for the last three years, I starting to recognize some inside jokes in referencing prior work by lead actors in the show or in casting supporting or cameo roles that reference that actor's prior work. (Or, at first, I got the jokes only after reading a recap/blog post that explained them.)

I'm sure there are plenty of examples that I totally missed because I was just not familiar with the previous work.

Is this particularly common in Korean shows? Can we find plenty of examples in anglophone TV shows as well?

Here are a handful of American examples I could think of off the top of my head.

Ted Danson in The Good Place referencing Cheers

William Daniels in St. Elsewhere referencing 1776
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6de9jCZlhbI$1m20s (also the singing at the end of the clip)

Also John Rubinstein on Dear White People singing a bit of Corner of the Sky from Pippin

For the latter type, there was 1990s movie Wednesday Addams Christina Ricci in a different role in the recent Wednesday series.

Then there was the whole Becky issue on Roseanne, and the show's self-consciousness about it:

Other examples?

Yehudi

AITA
Hughie in the Boys comic looks like Simon Pegg. However,he aged out of the role so he plays Hughie’s dad on the show.

The random Donna DeVarona mentions in Growing Pains reference the fact that IRL, she’s Joanna Kerns’ sister.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Best ever

ETA:

I remember watching this episode when it first aired. The Brady Bunch was an after school staple so I got it right away

Rogue

Sexy Superhero
It was a common occurrence in Married With Children for Ted Ginley to make some reference to Happy Days or Love Boat. He was a replacement for departing actors in all 3 series.

LeafOnTheWind

Psych from USA Network was one long continuous reference to other movies and shows. That was the basis of 99.9% of their episodes. :lol:

One of my favorites was a reference to The Mentalist that was running at the same time on another network.

smurfy

In 'Killing Eve' - Fiona Shaw who plays Sandra Oh's character boss (in MI6) and was a spy with quite a history and was Harry Potter's Aunt - in one scene - someone says something about an invisibility cloak. I chuckled at that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information