US TV Coverage 2017-2018

mollymgr

NBC released their full season schedule of TV coverage:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/events?id=84206

The GP series is primarily on the Olympic Channel with recaps on NBC. Looks like Nationals will be a mix of NBCSN and NBC as it was last year.
I'm so glad that the Olympic Channel is going to broadcast most of the skating LIVE.:eek: They are even covering all disciplines. I can't believe my eyes. It seems like Universal Sports always fell short.

Sylvia

TBD
Here's the press release, published today - NBC SPORTS GROUP AND U.S. FIGURE SKATING ANNOUNCE 2017-18 TELEVISION SCHEDULE: http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=90947&type=media

Excerpt re. Nationals:
NBC Sports Group's five-day live telecast window for the 2018 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships, which will be held Jan. 3-7, 2017, in San Jose, California, features live coverage of each discipline, including the ladies free skate in primetime Friday, Jan. 5 and the men’s free skate in primetime on Saturday, Jan. 6. The Smucker's Skating Spectacular will air the weekend following the U.S. Championships on NBC.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I'm so glad that the Olympic Channel is going to broadcast most of the skating LIVE.:eek: They are even covering all disciplines. I can't believe my eyes. It seems like Universal Sports always fell short.

Damn I remember when GP series was on Lifetime. Then there was Universal.

So after getting NBC Sports now there is something called Olympic Channel? Good Lord (Karen Walker is occupying my thought bubble now!)

OK, let me see if I have this channel.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
It can also be streamed live from the NBC Sports website or by downloading the NBC Sports APP Sign in using your satellite or cable provider account and password. Just look through the Live & Upcoming events to find the Grand Prix Figure Skating (Rostelecom Cup) beginning Friday, 6a.m. (central) (7a.m. Eastern) from the Olympic Channel on the APP. The NBC Sports APP allows you to see live events from NBC, NBC Sports, and the Olympic Channel. I like the APP for that very reason. :)

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Simone411

Simone411

@Sylvia, I understood what you meant, and even though someone doesn't have the Olympic Channel with their satellite or cable package, NBC, NBC Sports Channel, Golf Channel, etc. can still be watched using the NBC Sports App if they have those channels included with their Satellite or Cable package.

The reason I posted about the NBC Sports App is because it can be used on other devices like the laptop, tablet or iphone if they're not at home. Sorry about the confusion. :)

aftershocks

Banned Member
I'm glad NBC is planning more coverage this GP season, but let's see how much dance they will show. ETA: NBC is apparently not going to cover any of the pairs, and they only showed the Shibs' FD. Their coverage is fairly worthless to diehard fans who fortunately have other options to view the full event! Figure skating coverage on free tv, like that of many sports has been whittled down to practically nothing.

So far typical coverage from TT&J. Although, it does seem like they are making somewhat of an effort to tighten up their tendency for aimless rambling. There really was no need for them to beat up on Misha Ge though about him skating slow, and that he's not competitive because he isn't going to try for quads. I'm glad Misha has come back for at least one more season to go to the Olympics. He's a wonderful artist on the ice and he has a lot to offer in that capacity. At least he knows what his body is capable of doing and he's trained in order to be as fit as possible to skate to his best ability, and to skate clean! Johnny is shameless in advocating about quads, when he didn't pursue them full steam ahead when he was young and capable. Back then he pooh-poohed a lot of things he didn't like about the rules and scoring system. I guess he's changed his mind upon growing up and becoming part of the broadcast network establishment. ;)

Johnny unsurprisingly overdoing it in supporting his fellow admirer and friend, Hanyu. Nathan does not 'struggle' with showing nuances and passion, Johnny. Nathan is maturing as a skater and he's steadily working well within his extraordinary abilities, improving every time we see him. Hanyu OTOH is struggling right now to catch up with being able to cleanly and consistently skate with at least four quads in the fp. A nice save by Hanyu on his first quad lutz, but the OTT GOE given by some judges for the wonky landing is questionable.

And Tara has the gall to say that Hanyu can make a mistake or two and Nathan cannot!! Woah! Why is that I wonder? What has Hanyu done to deserve that kind of leeway pray tell? Right now it's Nathan Chen setting the standard in terms of the sport's demand for 'must-have' quads. And Nathan is no slouch artistically. He has two great programs that are edgy and modern. Oftentimes, U.S. broadcasters bend over backward to praise the status quo favorites while overly criticizing top U.S. skaters. Johnny certainly made enough excuses for Radionova vs some of the criticism directed toward Mirai and Mariah (there was certainly room to constructively criticize all three ladies).

Hanyu exhibited flashes of technical brilliance as usual, but Hanyu is not the greatest artist on the ice, despite the numbers judges have been throwing at him on PCS for years mainly because of the technical brilliance on his quads when he's in the zone.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Skate Canada International TV coverage: http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...of-live-2017-skate-canada-coverage-this-week/

Andrea Joyce, Ryan Bradley and Ben Agosto are scheduled for the Olympic Channel's Skate Canada International broadcasts (13 hours of live coverage), starting today, Friday at 3 p.m. ET, with the short programs and the free skates on Saturday beginning at 1 p.m. ET.

Copied from: http://www.usfsa.org/events?id=84206

Olympic Channel's Live coverage (all times Eastern):

Friday, Oct. 27
Ladies Short 3 - 4:30 p.m.
Short Dance 5 - 6:30 p.m.
Men's Short 8 - 9:30 p.m.
Pairs Short 10 - 11 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 28
Ladies Free 1 - 3 p.m.
Free Dance 3 - 5 p.m.
Men's Free 7 - 9 p.m.
Pairs Free 9 - 10:30 p.m.

The Skate Canada Recap (likely focus on singles) is on NBCSN:
Sunday, Oct. 29 11:30 p.m. - Monday 1 a.m.

A delayed, abbreviated version is scheduled for Sunday, Nov. 5 from 3:30 - 4:30 p.m. on NBC (check your local listings).

Sylvia

TBD
U.S. TV - Olympic Channel (Live) - all times Eastern
Steve Schlanger calls the action on Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA, alongside 1988 Olympic bronze medalist Tracy Wilson. Schlanger will be joined by 2006 Olympic Silver medalist Ben Agosto for the ice dance competitions.

Friday, Nov. 3
Cup of China: Short Dance 3:30 - 5 a.m.
Cup of China: Ladies Short 5 - 7 a.m.
Cup of China: Men's Short 7 - 9 a.m.
Cup of China: Pairs Short 9 - 10:30 a.m.

Saturday, Nov. 4
Cup of China: Free Dance 2:30 - 4:30 a.m.
Cup of China: Ladies Free 4:30 - 6:30 a.m.
Cup of China: Men's Free 6:30 - 8:30 a.m.
Cup of China: Pairs Free 9 - 10:30 a.m.

---

Sunday, Nov. 5
Skate Canada: Recap 3:30 - 4:30 p.m. NBC
Cup of China: Recap 4:30 - 6 p.m. NBC

A.H.Black

Yeah for Tracy. I like Ryan, but everything he says is some sort of declaration - in quotes - in bold type. I wish he was able to relax and talk normally (not too often). I love Ben as a commentator.

*Note on the Sunday broadcasts* - If your recording device doesn't chance time automatically, make sure you allow for the time change.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I'm excited we get Tracy this week so we can hear her say "Have-e-air" Fernandez all weekend. :lol:

Sylvia

TBD

Susan1

Yeah for Tracy. I like Ryan, but everything he says is some sort of declaration

Is he the one who yells "quad" AFTER they fall on it? I've only been watching bits and pieces. (till Skate America)

Hmmmm do I want to set the alarm for 1 am here so I can start watching Dance?????

I see that everything is rerun several more times on the Olympic Channel. I've turned on the t.v. twice at the exact same place (Russian man).

p.s. I can't hear the music unless I put it on the HD channel.

Simone411

Thanks, @Sylvia. I just autotuned NBC's coverage for CoC on Sunday. I always get mixed up with eastern time zone and I don't wish to miss the coverage with Tara and Johnny. :)

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Olympic Channel just goes to prove you need figure skaters covering figure skating, people who know about basketball covering basketball, people who know a thing or two about motorcross covering motorcross.

Even if someone handed that dude the wrong card or looked at the wrong line anyone who knows at least SOME thing about figure skating would know that that weren't Yu & Zhang when The World Champions were skating.

Pet peeve of mine.

Sylvia

TBD
*Note on the Sunday broadcasts* - If your recording device doesn't chance time automatically, make sure you allow for the time change.
TV/DVR reminder for today, Sunday, Nov. 5 (Eastern time - check your local listings):
Skate Canada: Recap 3:30 - 4:30 p.m. NBC
Cup of China: Recap 4:30 - 6 p.m. NBC

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information