What song are you listening to?

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Well I finally stopped listening to Popular and For Good. Now I seem to be haunted by figure skating music..... Shibiutanis' Cold Play.... ASHLEY's short. Never heard of either of these. They now follow me... Car, office, walking the dog.

PeterG

...I seem to be haunted by figure skating music..... Shibiutanis' Cold Play....

I'm haunted too!! By the fact that I have to listen to Coldplay in order to watch one of my favourite ice dance teams. The lyrics to Fix You are just so vile. A man telling a woman all about how he is going to fix her. You women know you didn't even exist until one of us men had to give you part of our body. And then of course you were always the weaker sex that for all eternity that we have had to fix. And then write songs about how we have to fix you. Over and over again. You're really a burden, you ladies are... But I will try...to fix you... :angryfire :soapbox: :mad:

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I haven't listened carefully to the words...... But in any event we all know it is the women who fix men

Cachoo

I've wondered about the bridge--if that is the word--- in the Shibs music that is not in the original song. I thought it was lovely. I've been listening to Fix You also. Also I'm on a Bruno Mars kick at the moment.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I've been listening to another old album of mine. This time, country music. I just loved Naomi and Wynonna. I nearly wore that old album out. It's still sounds pretty darn good, however.

Listening to this song at the moment.

Working in the Coal Mine - The Judds

quartz

scratching at the light
This seems like a good place to ask.....I am looking for a new pair of headphones. There are so many options out there that I am getting confused. Not sure if I want on ear or over ear; don't want wireless. Most of the ones that are appealing to me are Sennheiser or Bose. Looking in the $150-200 range. Any suggestions?

RockTheTassel

I'm haunted too!! By the fact that I have to listen to Coldplay in order to watch one of my favourite ice dance teams. The lyrics to Fix You are just so vile. A man telling a woman all about how he is going to fix her. You women know you didn't even exist until one of us men had to give you part of our body. And then of course you were always the weaker sex that for all eternity that we have had to fix. And then write songs about how we have to fix you. Over and over again. You're really a burden, you ladies are... But I will try...to fix you... :angryfire :soapbox: :mad:

Hmmm... I'm female, but I've never interpreted that song as sexist. To me, it seems to be about someone who's in a bad place and needs support ("And the tears come streaming down your face/When you lose something you can't replace/When you love someone, but it goes to waste/Could it be worse?"). The lyrics seem to encourage them to keep going and realize their worth ("But if you never try you'll never know/Just what you're worth"). There are also no actual references to gender, so it could be about anyone (though I don't know if Coldplay has spoken elsewhere about the song and said it's specifically about a woman).

Of course, the idea of needing someone to "fix you" can be problematic, regardless of gender. But even that seems very tame in this song, compared to a lot of modern lyrics.

manhn

I believe the song was written for Gwyneth after her father passed. I think "fix you" should not be taken literally; when taken within the entire chorus (Lights will guide you home / And ignite your bones / And I will try to fix you), I think it just means that I will be here for you when you need me, and I will do my best to give you support.

I am currently obsessed with Carly Rae Jepsen. Her newest single, "Your Type" is giving me life.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
This seems like a good place to ask.....I am looking for a new pair of headphones. There are so many options out there that I am getting confused. Not sure if I want on ear or over ear; don't want wireless. Most of the ones that are appealing to me are Sennheiser or Bose. Looking in the $150-200 range. Any suggestions?
I went to Radio Shack because I've always found pretty decent audio equipment there. Anyway, I found a pair of Stereo Headphones for $29.99. There other Headphones on the same page:

Auvio foldable headphones

From looking at the photos of the headphones, these aren't wireless.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I've wondered about the bridge--if that is the word--- in the Shibs music that is not in the original song. I thought it was lovely. I've been listening to Fix You also. Also I'm on a Bruno Mars kick at the moment.

It's an instrumental version of another Coldplay song called The Scientist

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I'm finding it very odd that it's 2015 and I'm listening to Panic! At The Disco again. I thought I had grown out of their music when I exited my emo phase. But their new music is actually pretty good and they seem to have made the transition to a credible pop/rock band fairly well after a couple of only OK albums.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Missy Elliot's new single "WTF"

SO good. Modern production but also sounds like she could have released this in 2003, which is a VERY good thing. The Miss E...So Addictive and Under Construction albums were the like the soundtrack to my mid 20s. (Did I just really type that?)

A great, creative video too. She's been so missed! Now we just need to get Outkast back together!

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Nina Simone's version of "Here comes the sun" always makes me smile and feel light in my soul. A love child between Simone and Bob Marley would have been my music God. Aside from Jeff Buckley, of course.

FiveRinger

Missy Elliot's new single "WTF"

SO good. Modern production but also sounds like she could have released this in 2003, which is a VERY good thing. The Miss E...So Addictive and Under Construction albums were the like the soundtrack to my mid 20s. (Did I just really type that?)

A great, creative video too. She's been so missed! Now we just need to get Outkast back together!

I just saw the video. She has lost lot of weight and looks great! And the song is growing on me....it's like time stopped.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Slum Sociable - All Night

Love the mood of this song.

ETA - just thought I should have a look at where they are from. They are from a suburb in Melbourne where I used to live. Again more great Australian music.

Last edited:

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Caspian - CMF

This song actually makes me wish I had a hi-res audio file of it. I love the details you can hear in the background, like the guitarist breathing. This song relaxes me so much.

Susan1

Funny how this thread reappears toward the top of the page on Sunday morning -

"Things We Said Today" - Beatles!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information