Australian skating news

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Brooklee Han and Aimee Buchanan settle in Texas with the Cains as coaches

http://figureskatersonline.com/news...an-settle-in-texas-with-the-cains-as-coaches/

Similar to Timothy Dolensky’s situation in Atlanta, Brooklee Han was the only elite senior level skater at her rink in Newington, Connecticut for many years, and it was tough to train by herself. So in August 2016, the 2014 Australian National Champion and Olympian made the move from Connecticut to Texas, hoping for a fresh start with the Cains. However, Han said the beginning of her 2016-17 season did not go as planned.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
That's amazing that you were able to pick that out cause I can't hear the music clearly enough to pick that out as 'everybody wants to rule the world'.

Reactions: mag

Sylvia

TBD
That's amazing that you were able to pick that out cause I can't hear the music clearly enough to pick that out as 'everybody wants to rule the world'.
The clip cuts off just before that lyric kicks in. ;)

Re. Alexandrovskaya/Windsor not getting a Grand Prix assignment (re-posting here from the GP thread):
There are no guaranteed spots for the Junior Worlds podium or JGPF champions. Each is eligible for selection, unless they are otherwise guaranteed at least one (from SB, WS, or Top 10 at Worlds, having competed in both junior and senior Worlds.)

It's hard to imagine that Alexandrovskaya/Windsor would want to keep switching between junior and senior programs this season, especially as they need to qualify for the Olympics at Nebelhorn. JGP doesn't make sense, when if they want more mileage before Nebelhorn, there are other events, CS and not, before Nebelhorn each year, and they might want to do back-to-back events to adjust to the time zone difference. (Or, if they could get ice time, train in Russia for part of the week before.) Doing the numbers, nine teams that were guaranteed one got two, and five of them were from host nations and didn't get host spots. Two got host spots, and the other two were from non-host nations.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
It is "Everybody Wants to Rule the World."

ETA Tears for Fears

@mag, that was my first thought but then I wasn't so sure... Just re-listened and now it sounds like the song (which I liked in the '80s :): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST86JM1RPl0 ). A cover version by another male singer, maybe? ETA - someone on Twitter has replied with this version: https://twitter.com/GF2445/status/868232517266030592

Brendan Kerry's GP assignment (he wasn't guaranteed one so I'm happy he got one) is Skate Canada International.

Can I just call you guys radar ears? How on earth you managed to pick that up I have no idea. Impressive. :D

Reactions: mag

mag

If you listen with headphones it is much clearer. It is interesting music and I am looking forward to seeing the entire program.

misskarne

I just listened to the Cinematic Pop version (which people seem to think it is) on spotify and wow. I had goosebumps by the end of the song. It's a totally different style to this year's and last year's SPs but I think it will be outstanding on him. Can't wait to see it!

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Yes - that's the one! Including compulsory shot of the reporter stumbling around on rental skates. :lol:

If you look in the background of the final shots at the rink you can also see Greg Merriman doing some coaching (02:50-02:55).

misskarne

Some old stuff, but also some new stuff that's really good and interesting, including proof that Katia and Harley did want to go Senior this year.

And program music! A remix of The Rolling Stones' Paint it Black. *wanders off to binge-listen*

Eislauffan

Some old stuff, but also some new stuff that's really good and interesting, including proof that Katia and Harley did want to go Senior this year.

And program music! A remix of The Rolling Stones' Paint it Black. *wanders off to binge-listen*

Harley confirmed to me that they did not change their mind and indeed were hoping for a Grand Prix (and they still hope to get invited) if something becomes available.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Harley confirmed to me that they did not change their mind and indeed were hoping for a Grand Prix (and they still hope to get invited) if something becomes available.

It does seem baffling that the 2017 WJ gold medallists in the three other disciplines (men, ladies, dance) each earned at least one senior Grand Prix spot, and Alexandrovskaya & Windsor did not.

I miss the days when senior Grand Prix pairs events were not limited to eight teams only. The junior grand prix pairs' events certainly aren't limited to eight places.

I would think the ISU would want to encourage more athletes to participate, not to put them off with this kind of cap.

skatingguy

decently
I miss the days when senior Grand Prix pairs events were not limited to eight teams only. The junior grand prix pairs' events certainly aren't limited to eight places.

I would think the ISU would want to encourage more athletes to participate, not to put them off with this kind of cap.
How long has it been that the pairs have been limited to 8 entries? It seems like it's been a number of years now, like at least 10.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I did SA in 04 and 05 and there were 10 pairs (3 groups, 2 breaks) ahh those were the days when you had the Compulsory Dance too, although thats only been recently eliminated

Remember when Speedy wanted to eliminate the short program. If that ruling had been implemented, entire Grand Prix events would be over in a few hours, if that!

Last edited:

greenapple

It does seem baffling that the 2017 WJ gold medallists in the three other disciplines (men, ladies, dance) each earned at least one senior Grand Prix spot, and Alexandrovskaya & Windsor did not.

It is VERY baffling indeed. One has to wonder if the Australian federation were unaware that they had to submit A/W's names - or missed the deadline. If so, either way - major screw up.

misskarne

It is VERY baffling indeed. One has to wonder if the Australian federation were unaware that they had to submit A/W's names - or missed the deadline. If so, either way - major screw up.

Oh, please do not make out like just because we are a little skating country we are a dumb skating country. ISA would have submitted their names. They know fine well how to do this, they've done it with Brendan and with Brooklee. The screwing over came from other places, other countries.

Do you find it baffling that the only JWC screwed over by the rule this year was the little-country pair? I don't find that baffling at all, nor do I think it's a coincidence, and that doesn't make it any less infuriating.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Oh, please do not make out like just because we are a little skating country we are a dumb skating country. ISA would have submitted their names. They know fine well how to do this, they've done it with Brendan and with Brooklee. The screwing over came from other places, other countries.

Do you find it baffling that the only JWC screwed over by the rule this year was the little-country pair? I don't find that baffling at all, nor do I think it's a coincidence, and that doesn't make it any less infuriating.

Hopefully Katia and Harley will shine on the upcoming Challenger Series, and qualify a spot for Australia at the Olympic Games next year at the Nebelhorn Trophy, too.

Brisbane is hosting the Junior Grand Prix in August, at least. Hopefully some of our best junior skaters will skate well there.

mag

I am not at all a conspiracy theorist, but a little part of my brain wonders if this has anything to do with the team event. Not necessarily outright manipulation, but more a subtle "why does a summer sport country like Australia think it belongs in a team figure skating event at the Olympics."

The only problem with this is it would have to be a very large conspiracy because I don't think any of the countries who would benefit have the necessary political power to make this happen.

It just seems so very odd that they were the only Jr. World champions left out.

Dobre

I am not at all a conspiracy theorist, but a little part of my brain wonders if this has anything to do with the team event. Not necessarily outright manipulation, but more a subtle "why does a summer sport country like Australia think it belongs in a team figure skating event at the Olympics."

The only problem with this is it would have to be a very large conspiracy because I don't think any of the countries who would benefit have the necessary political power to make this happen.

It just seems so very odd that they were the only Jr. World champions left out.

They were the only Jr. World champions left out because they are the only ones who didn't have a high enough SB or enough world standings points accumulated to guarantee a spot. Since the Korean dancers were passed over for lower-ranked dance teams, and Brezina--who is well known & recognized--only received one GP, I would say it is more likely a sign of how hard it is to get GP events without having a host country or making the guaranteed list. Especially in pairs, where places are so limited.

The junior dance teams that made the senior GP this season have all been competing on the JGP for a minimum of three years. This is one of the reasons why. (The top two U.S. dance teams coming out of juniors have 6 & 5 seasons on the JGP each, 4 Junior World medals between them, @11 JGP gold, are ranked top 24 on both the SB and World Standings List, and still only received their one guaranteed spot each).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information