Italian figure skating news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
NADO Italia is the National Anti-Doping Organisation (NADO) and functional body of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA):
Athletes included in the National RTP list [Grassl is in the Registered Testing Pool] are required to provide information on their daily availability through the ADAMS system (the Whereabouts), specifying a 60-minute time period, between 05.00 and 23.00, during which Athletes must be available for any out-of-competition doping control.
The information must be submitted by the Athlete in advance of the quarterly deadline in accordance with Article 3 of the International Standard for Testing and Investigations (ISTI)
  • Quarter 1 (January-February-March): Whereabouts must be submitted by December 15th;
  • Quarter II (April-May-June): Whereabouts must be submitted by March 15th;
  • Quarter III (July-August-September): Whereabouts must be submitted by June 15th;
  • Quarter IV (October-November-December): Whereabouts must be submitted by September 15t
Any circumstances or changes to the information already provided must be updated promptly and no later than the beginning of the time period indicated for that specific deadline.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Except now they’re picking on him because he trained in Russia.
Who is picking on him? WADA? RUSADA?

I thought that athletes training outside their home country had their doping tests administered by the WADA-affiliated doping organization in that country. So, basically, all the Czech and Georgian athletes training at GPI (Los Angeles) and WISA (DC) respectively are tested by USADA on behalf of their countries respective doping authority.

So, is the implication here that RUSADA's testing agents showed up at Eteri's rink or Grassl's former residence in Moscow knowing damn well he'd returned to Italy already and knowing he hadn't updated his whereabouts in ADAMS? If so, that's on Grassl for being an idiot.

Oh, he's also on the Nebelhorn entry list. His entire season has been shot, possibly next season as well. We might not see him in competition again until the 2025-26 season...

LoisAGOEs

Who is picking on him? WADA? RUSADA?

I thought that athletes training outside their home country had their doping tests administered by the WADA-affiliated doping organization in that country. So, basically, all the Czech and Georgian athletes training at GPI (Los Angeles) and WISA (DC) respectively are tested by USADA on behalf of their countries respective doping authority.

So, is the implication here that RUSADA's testing agents showed up at Eteri's rink or Grassl's former residence in Moscow knowing damn well he'd returned to Italy already and knowing he hadn't updated his whereabouts in ADAMS? If so, that's on Grassl for being an idiot.

Oh, he's also on the Nebelhorn entry list. His entire season has been shot, possibly next season as well. We might not see him in competition again until the 2025-26 season...
He already alluded to the possibility of retirement if he hadn’t gone to Eteri, I think it’s likely he’d struggle to find the motivation to keep going if he’s suspended for 2 years.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
So, is the implication here that RUSADA's testing agents showed up at Eteri's rink or Grassl's former residence in Moscow knowing damn well he'd returned to Italy already and knowing he hadn't updated his whereabouts in ADAMS? If so, that's on Grassl for being an idiot
According to the article in the FS Gossips link, it was the opposite: he was in Moscow when the Italian(presumably,since it was their turf) anti-doping officials went to his Italian address:

the skater Indicated to the anti-doping authorities that he would be in Italy while he was actually training in Moscow. As a result, doping officers attempted to collect a sample at an Italian address while he was in Russia

So for months he was training in Moscow, which was all over the Italian and international press, and he never filled in multiple quarters of his hourly whearabouts? Filled in hourly whereabouts for the wrong country? Did or didn’t get notifications of missed test? The Italian Fed never got notified that he’d missed the tests, or if they did, never contacted him to update the site?

Sylvia

TBD
RIA Novosti follow-up article by Andrey Simonenko: https://rsport.ria.ru/20230906/grassl-1894600003.html
Italian figure skater Daniel Grassl missed three doping tests, at the moment he has been asked for an explanation, there are no sanctions yet, RIA Novosti was told in the communications service of the National Anti-Doping Organization of Italy (NADO Italia).
Earlier, a RIA Novosti source said that Grassl, who trained with Eteri Tutberidze in Moscow, missed three doping tests, which is a violation of anti-doping rules. [...]
“Your information is correct, it really is,” said a representative of NADO Italia in response to a question whether Grassl really missed three doping tests. “At the moment, there is no decision whether to impose sanctions on Daniel. He was asked for an explanation.”

Sylvia

TBD
Grassl is quoted in this Italian news article: https://www.agi.it/sport/news/2023-...ore-salta-tre-controlli-anti-doping-22918576/
Machine translated excerpt:
"I'm not aware of this news, it was difficult for me to live in Moscow alone, but I don't know anything about anti-doping, this news is not true: I'm still skating, if I was disqualified I couldn't do it but I have to ask the manager if this rumor is going around." Daniel Grassl told AGI regarding the three skipped anti-doping controls of which Nado Italia is aware.

Last edited:

Rainbow

Except now they’re picking on him because he trained in Russia.
No, this is standard procedure. Italian Rythmic Gymnast Agiurgiuculese (lovely gymnast by the way) was just recently banned for one year for not being home for testing, when and where she stated she would be. She just forgot to update her whereabouts in the system. She was abroad at a competition at said time and thus even available for testing. But that did not spare her the ban because, well, rules.

skatingguy

decently
Two tennis players, Michael Ymer, Sweden, and Jensen Brooksby, United States, have been suspended in recent months for missing tests. Ymer was suspended 18 months, and announced his retirement (he's 24), and then it came out that he lied about why he missed one of the tests. Brooksby is suspended a year, and is taking the time to heal a serious wrist injury.

Seerek

2022 World Champion in 100m hurdles, Tobi Amusan of Nigeria was initially charged with 3 missed tests in a 12 month period, but then had her suspension lifted just before this year's World Championships in Budapest (she finished 6th).

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
So do we think Grassl really missed 3 doping tests or what? He hotly denied it, and the only sources I remember seeing were media reports (as opposed to an official press release from the Italian fed or a relevant anti-doping agency), but at the same time the reports seemed credible and he's now withdrawn from Nebelhorn. I'm not sure what to believe.

Karen-W

I guess we'll just have to wait and see - he's still on the Nepela entry list, but being off the Nebelhorn list certainly lends credence to the reports.

Andrea82

There is a public tender open right now for the recruitment of 28 athletes to be assigned to the "State Police - Fiamme Oro" sports groups who will be classified in the role of agents and assistants of the State Police. It includes:

1 spot Figure Skating - Pairs, female athlete
1 spot Figure Skating - Pairs, male athlete
1 spot Figure Skating - Single, male athlete

So it should be Conti, Macii and Memola.

And the outcome has been published today and it is Conti, Macii and Memola as expected.

It was a foregone conclusion based on the sports results, and these tenders are issued with the potential winner already in mind. The only unknown was possibly failing the aptitude interview with the psychologists (well, some years Grassl failed it in the first instance* and got admitted only after an appeal)

*they were quite harsh and was described as "dependent personality with traits of anxiety, emotional immaturity and relational difficulties". A new assessment by another commission during the appeal didn't confirm the original findings.

Last edited:

Karen-W

And Zich is out of JGP Gdansk. He's still on the roster for Yerevan, but it wouldn't surprise me if he winds up being WD there since there's clearly some sort of injury issue going on with him.

Nalbone was removed from the JGP Gdansk roster earlier this week - who knows what the FISG is thinking at this point with all those men's spots gone to waste.

Evgeniafan

And Zich is out of JGP Gdansk. He's still on the roster for Yerevan, but it wouldn't surprise me if he winds up being WD there since there's clearly some sort of injury issue going on with him.

Nalbone was removed from the JGP Gdansk roster earlier this week - who knows what the FISG is thinking at this point with all those men's spots gone to waste.
I'm sad that Zich is probably injured and Nalbone deserved the spot.

Andrea82

And the withdrawal is clearly not because of an injury. It is not always possible to envisage organizational issues (also in terms of personal life) earlier. And that's why it is not wise to forfeit early events such as Linz or not naming alternates (which means also preparing documents for travels) for late events. If something not planned happens, they are left with alternative routes available.

Next weekend there is an internal competition in Turin. Women have Negrello, Tornaghi and Sarina Joos. Zich is entered in Senior Men (let's see if he shows up...which would be weird). Pairs have Conti/Macii and Caldara/Maglio.

Evgeniafan

And the withdrawal is clearly not because of an injury. It is not always possible to envisage organizational issues (also in terms of personal life) earlier. And that's why it is not wise to forfeit early events such as Linz or not naming alternates (which means also preparing documents for travels) for late events. If something not planned happens, they are left with alternative routes available.

Next weekend there is an internal competition in Turin. Women have Negrello, Tornaghi and Sarina Joos. Zich is entered in Senior Men (let's see if he shows up...which would be weird). Pairs have Conti/Macii and Caldara/Maglio.
Will there be a stream?

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member

Is Joos skating for Italy now? Given the success of Swiss women, I wouldn’t blame her!

Sylvia

TBD
Is Joos skating for Italy now? Given the success of Swiss women, I wouldn’t blame her!
Apparently so for both Joos sisters - link to a post in this thread back in July: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ting-news-updates.104247/page-15#post-6448052

Daniel Grassl is still on the Nepela entries list as of Sept. 26 so he must not have been charged by NADO Italia for an Antidoping Rule Violation (yet?): https://www.nadoitalia.it/en/news/antidoping-rule-violations-adrvs.html

ETA - Grassl is not mentioned in FISG's press release for Nepela and the Joos sisters are mentioned here:
Machine translated excerpts:
In Bratislava, Slovakia, in the fourth round of the ISU Challenger Series, first seasonal outing for Gabriele Frangipani (Fiamme Oro) who triumphed here last year, taking his first success in the cadet circuit of the International Skating Union.
On the women's side, there is room for Lara Naki Gutmann (Fiamme oro), fifth at the recent Lombardia Trophy and returning to the ice where last year she achieved the best placing in her career in a stage of the ISU Challenger Series with a prestigious second place.
Finally, the first stage of the Italian Elite Championship will be held at the Palatazzoli in Turin with the special participation of the national champions including the artistic pairs Sara Conti and Niccolò Macii (Icelab). In the women's field, the spotlight is on the Joos sisters, who will defend the blue colors from this season. Seventeen year old Sarina will take part in the senior event, while fifteen year old Noemi will compete in the junior category.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Before his season debut at CS Nepela Memorial, Gabriele Frangipani announced his new team (Fabio Mascarello, Giulia Cotugno, Marilu Guarnieri) at Accademia Del Ghiaccio based in San Donato Milanese: https://www.instagram.com/p/CxnLSYhoP5s/
He previously was coached by Angelina Turenko and Alisa Mikonsaari in Egna.

VIVA FRANGIIIIIII 🇮🇹

Andrea82

Matteo Rizzo wrote today that he WD from this week’s Lombardia Trophy because he is “Dealing with a minor injury that kept me out of training for a week” and that Shanghai Trophy (Oct. 3-5) is his next planned competition: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cw9hsD2K2mA/

(Guignard/Fabbri are the other Italians reported to be competing in Shanghai.)

Confirmed that Rizzo will debut next week at Shanghai Trophy

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information