2023-24 ISU Grand Prix Assignments & projected alternates

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Japan only has two USA women at NHK so hopefully another one can get a chance there.

Guess we will not see Nicole at Nebelhorn

I say the open spot at NHK goes to either to Ava Marie or Kurakova

Kurakova is already at skate America, so it makes sense to give her a second assignment directly to Canada if she would want and hopefully NHK for Ava Marie

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Japan only has two USA women at NHK so hopefully another one can get a chance there.

Guess we will not see Nicole at Nebelhorn

I say the open spot at NHK goes to either to Ava Marie or Kurakova

Kurakova is already at skate America, so it makes sense to give her a second assignment directly to Canada if she would want and hopefully NHK for Ava Marie
Forgot to add that Gutmann is already assigned to SCI, so the Alternates list for SCI would look like this:

Kurakova (SkAm)
Ji
Schild (Espoo)
Serna (GPdF)
Meite
van Zundert (NHK)
Mikutina
Paganini
Sauter
Kiibus
Lang

And for NHK - both JPN and KOR have 3 skaters already, so the Alternates list would look like this (van Zundert is assigned to NHK, so she's off this list too):
Kurakova (SkAm)
Ziegler
Schild (Espoo)
Gutmann (SCI)
Serna (GPdF)
Meite
Harrell
Hilmer
Gold
Mikutina

Karen-W

Smirnova/Siianytsia have just announced the end of their partnership :( (they paired up in July 2018):
This opens up two GP spots - one at CoC and one at NHK. :(

Pairs Alternates -
1-10
Hase/Volodin (Espoo)
Roscher/Schuster (SCI)
Osipova/Epstein (SkAm)
Beccari/Guarise (SCI)
Caldara/Maglio (SkAm)
Mokhova/Mokhov
Zhang/Yang (CoC)
Vouillamoz/Giniaux (GPdF)
Valesi/Piazza (GPdF)
Vaipan-Law/Digby

11-13
Gamez/Korovin
Piegad/Strekalin (probably will get the GPdF TBD assignment)
Simioli/Zarbo

Best guess - no freakin' idea who gets those two spots. My gut says the Mokhovs (SB28) might get one and then a coin toss between Hase/Volodin, Roscher/Schuster (SB18), Osipova/Epstein (SB21), Beccari/Guarise (SB23), and Zhang/Yang (SB29). I also don't expect to see either the CFSA or JSF fill the spots for a few weeks after we see how several of these teams compete at Lombardia, John Nicks PC, ACI and Nebelhorn.

Last edited:

Karen-W

yeah, there were two of them. I wonder if theyre still waiting to decide… Is there nobody else to take the third spot from the USA?
The Mokhovs, Martins/Bedard, Hanns/Neudecker and Ouellette/Newby-Estrella are all on the ISP, so I'm sure the remaining Pairs TBD spot is still up for grabs.

I would hazard a guess that, based on the Mokhovs scores last season, in addition to being at Champs Camp, they are the most likely to get the spot, but since they're on the Alternates List, they might not want to name them right away in the hopes that they'll get a couple of GP assignments elsewhere (especially since SmirSiia have split and opened up two spots). If the Mokhovs do get at least one GP elsewhere and Martins/Bedard score in the 150-160 range at John Nicks PC next week, then they would be the most likely team in the mix for the SkAm TBD spot, IMO.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Claire Seo and Chelsea Liu/Balazs Nagy have been awarded Skate America TBD spots

Has the u.s. given up the tbd in pairs then
I don't think so. AnythingGOEs is looking at the entry lists on the ISU page but the full charts haven't been updated. If you look at the Dance entries list, it doesn't show the USA TBD spot either, just 9 entries. There's no way the USFS is giving up a host spot in dance, and I expect the same to be true for pairs.

ETA - same is true for the GPdF and NHK entry lists - none of them show the host TBD spots as named or even as TBD.

Karen-W

Updating the Pairs alternates lists for each specific event now that Smirnova/Siianytsia are officially crossed off...

Cup of China Pairs Alternates -
Hase/Volodin
Roscher/Schuster
Osipova/Epstein
Beccari/Guarise
Caldara/Maglio
Mokhova/Mokhov
Vouillamoz/Giniaux
Valesi/Piazza
Vaipan-Law/Digby
Gamez/Korovin

NHK Trophy Pairs Alternates -
Hase/Volodin
Roscher/Schuster
Osipova/Epstein
Beccari/Guarise
Caldara/Maglio
Mokhova/Mokhov
Zhang/Yang
Vouillamoz/Giniaux
Valesi/Piazza
Vaipan-Law/Digby

Karen-W

And updating the Women's Alternates with today's assignments:
Women 1-10
Kihira (SCI)
Kurakova (SkAm)
Ziegler (NHK)
Ji
Schild (Espoo)
Gutmann (SCI)
Serna (France)
Matsuike
Meite (SCI)
Harrell

Women 11-20
van Zundert (NHK)
Hilmer
Gold
Mikutina
Seo (SkAm)
Ruiter (SCI)
Daleman
Dupuis (SCI)
Miclette
Paganini

Women 21-24
Sauter
Kiibus
Lang
Isaev

1) Japan is maxed out in Men's and Women's at every single event save for their TBD spots at NHK, so unless the skater that WDs is Japanese, then on the Men's Alternates list Gogolev & Broussard will be moved up to the first group of 10 for consideration, and on the Women's Alternates list van Zundert & Hilmer will be moved up to the first group of 10 for consideration. Kataise, Tsuboi, Yoshioka, Miyake (men) and Kihira, Matsuike (women) are going to be the ones scrambling for those NHK TBD spots in their disciplines.

skateblessing

And updating the Women's Alternates with today's assignments:
Women 1-10
Kihira (SCI)
Kurakova (SkAm)
Ziegler (NHK)
Ji
Schild (Espoo)
Gutmann (SCI)
Serna (France)
Matsuike
Meite (SCI)
Harrell

Women 11-20
van Zundert (NHK)
Hilmer
Gold
Mikutina
Seo (SkAm)
Ruiter (SCI)
Daleman
Dupuis (SCI)
Miclette
Paganini

Women 21-24
Sauter
Kiibus
Lang
Isaev

1) Japan is maxed out in Men's and Women's at every single event save for their TBD spots at NHK, so unless the skater that WDs is Japanese, then on the Men's Alternates list Gogolev & Broussard will be moved up to the first group of 10 for consideration, and on the Women's Alternates list van Zundert & Hilmer will be moved up to the first group of 10 for consideration. Kataise, Tsuboi, Yoshioka, Miyake (men) and Kihira, Matsuike (women) are going to be the ones scrambling for those NHK TBD spots in their disciplines.
This might have been discussed earlier in the thread, but is Sarina Joos out of the list because of country switch? I havn´t seen it confirmed anywhere, but she might not be able to compete this season because of the country switch?

Karen-W

This might have been discussed earlier in the thread, but is Sarina Joos out of the list because of country switch? I havn´t seen it confirmed anywhere, but she might not be able to compete this season because of the country switch?
Yes, that's the presumption - same goes for Soucisse/Firus in ice dance.

skateblessing

Do I have it wrong or could Gold actually be picked for Espoo, France or Cup of China, if Mae and Schild will get the empty TBD spots in France and there is a WD from one of these hosts? That would make her top 10 right because Japan is maxed out on spots in all events and Schild and Mae already have a spot.

That is interesting because a host might want to pick Gold to sell more tickets if she is in the loop and they need a replacement.

Realistic, I can only think of Mazzara to be picked for the TBD spot in France other than Mae and Schild. But if Mae is back in shape I don´t think Mazzara will be picked.

Karen-W

Do I have it wrong or could Gold actually be picked for Espoo, France or Cup of China, if Mae and Schild will get the empty TBD spots in France and there is a WD from one of these hosts? That would make her top 10 right because Japan is maxed out on spots in all events and Schild and Mae already have a spot.

That is interesting because a host might want to pick Gold to sell more tickets if she is in the loop and they need a replacement.

Realistic, I can only think of Mazzara to be picked for the TBD spot in France other than Mae and Schild. But if Mae is back in shape I don´t think Mazzara will be picked.
Gold is on the SB list, so she is an alternate. Sure, anything is possible and Gold could be selected in the scenario you've laid out, but I'd be willing to wager that Gold isn't the ticket-selling draw today that she was 5 years ago and other skaters are more likely to be selected ahead of her. France and Japan will wait until, probably at least another month, before naming their host picks, in the hopes that one of their skaters on the alternates list will be assigned elsewhere.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Gold is on the SB list, so she is an alternate. Sure, anything is possible and Gold could be selected in the scenario you've laid out, but I'd be willing to wager that Gold isn't the ticket-selling draw today that she was 5 years ago and other skaters are more likely to be selected ahead of her. France and Japan will wait until, probably at least another month, before naming their host picks, in the hopes that one of their skaters on the alternates list will be assigned elsewhere.
It would help in publicizing her book.

Karen-W

They shouldn’t. This would be for Gold’s audience.
Yes, but the point is that the GP hosts don't have a vested interest in inviting Gracie just so she can promote her book. And, frankly, I will be very surprised if she is invited should any openings arise.

Speaking of potential openings - in was reported in the Japanese news thread that Rika Kihira has withdrawn from Chubu Regionals (which means no Nats for her) and is unsure of whether or not she will be healthy enough to compete at SCI.

If she does WD, it will be interesting to see if Skate Canada invites Matsuike or if they go with a non-Japanese woman from the alternates list.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Rika made some progress last year. I’m surprised to learn about new troubles.

Sylvia

TBD
Maria Mokhova/Ivan Mokhov (USA) have replaced Smirnova/Siianytsia at Cup of China today (Sept. 4): https://www.isu.org/docman-document...-24/grand-prix-4/entries-8/31417-pairs-4/file
S/S's vacated NHK Trophy spot is still TBA.

ETA [with GP assignments before today added below]:
... now that Smirnova/Siianytsia are officially crossed off...
NHK Trophy Pairs Alternates -
Hase/Volodin [FIN]
Roscher/Schuster [CAN]
Osipova/Epstein [USA]
Beccari/Guarise [CAN]
Caldara/Maglio [USA]
Mokhova/Mokhov [none; could get the 2nd Skate America TBD]
Zhang/Yang [CHN]
Vouillamoz/Giniaux [FRA]
Valesi/Piazza [FRA]
Vaipan-Law/Digby [none]

Last edited: