2023-24 US Pairs Discussion - Chan you count Howe many teams we have?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Elvis and Exogenesis? Not very inspiring at least for ANL.

At least they have some time until they compete. I believe their Grand Prix slots are back ended in November. I guess we probably may not see them in any challengers.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Elvis and Exogenesis? Not very inspiring at least for ANL.

At least they have some time until they compete. I believe their Grand Prix slots are back ended in November. I guess we probably may not see them in any challengers.
Read the interview, ANL - they're planning on doing either Finlandia or Tayside Trophy, depending on how Spencer's rehab is going.

Karen-W

Good score of 152.54 for Fitzpatrick/Bearinger at Battle of the Blades today. It wouldn't surprise me if they're added to the ISP soon - the USFS added Hanns/Neudecker recently and they scored 126.86 at the non-NQS Cup of Colorado last weekend.

Okay score of 126.16 for Zheng/Deng's debut - based on the protocols, I'm not expecting them to be in the medal hunt at any JGPs, but it's good experience for them. And, I know Fletcher/Felberbaum were added to the ISP but with a score of 97.83, I can't say I'm expecting any JGP assignments this year.

It's been noted in the USFS Champs Camp thread that both McBeath/Parkman and Mitrofanov/Efimova are both in attendance, so I think it's safe to say they'll be added to the ISP as soon as Danill and Alisa are cleared for international competitition.

Update to current US teams - teams are listed by the level they're competing at domestically

Senior teams
Chan/Howe ISP (bye) [CoC and NHK Trophy]
Digerness/Sadusky
Fitzpatrick/Bearinger 152.54 (Battle of the Blades), 129.70 (combined SP+FS at non-NQS Skate Detroit)
Hanns/Neudecker ISP 126.86 (non-NQS Cup of Colorado)
Kam/O'Shea ISP (bye) [GPdF and GP Espoo]
Liu/Nagy ISP 175.91 (Glacier Falls), [Autumn Classic Int'l]
Martins/Bedard ISP 157.05 (Glacier Falls) [Autumn Classic Int'l]
Mokhova/Mokhov ISP
Ouellette/Newby-Estrella ISP
Plazas/Fernandez ISP (bye) [SkAm and GPdF]
Smirnova/Siianytsia ISP [CoC and NHK Trophy]

Efimova/Mitrofanov* (eligible for the ISP in April 2024)
Korytek/Chapman* 156.18 (Glacier Falls) (age-ineligible)
McBeath/Parkman* 170.46 (Glacier Falls) (eligible for the ISP in Dec 2023)

Junior teams
Carpenter/Maravilla 102.88 (combined SP+FS at non-NQS Skate Detroit)
Fletcher/Felberbaum ISP 97.83 (Battle of the Blades)
Flores/Wang ISP 123.40 (Glacier Falls) [JGP #2 Linz & JGP #5 Budapest]
Park/Griffin
Williams/Lewer ISP 138.19 (Glacier Falls) [JGP #3 Istanbul & probably JGP #6 Gdansk]
Zheng/Deng ISP 126.16 (Battle of the Blades) [JGP #5 Budapest & probably JGP #6 Gdansk]

Cooke/Kennedy (age-ineligible - competed in the Jr Pairs FS at non-NQS Colonial Open in June)
Delis/Schwab* (age-ineligible) 88.94 (Glacier Falls)
Grohne/Lunt (he still needs to pass his junior Pairs test - 89.42 at non-NQS Cup of Colorado last week in Novice)
Rivers/Rensing* (age-ineligible) 101.39 (Glacier Falls)

Novice teams
Taisiya Shapovalova/Sebastian Malczyk 93.59 (Glacier Falls) (his older brother, Damian, has been assigned to represent Czechia in men at JGP #5 Budapest)
Clara Finkelstein/Mark Williams 78.43 (Glacier Falls)
Milada Kovar/Nickolai Apter 78.62 (combined SP+FS at non-NQS Broadmoor Open in June) (her older brother, Kai, will be representing the USA at JGP #3 Istanbul)
Tallulah Tanner/Sam Herbert 88.95 (Battle of the Blades)

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
That seems unfortunate - is this injury related - they seem to have injury issues the past couple of seasons.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Whelp I guess that answer that. Alas they really had a lot of really great qualities.

Karen-W

So bummed to see this news. It seemed like this has been coming for awhile as I'd noticed Danil's IG stories didn't include any on-ice training over the last few months. I'm sure he will be able to find a good partner as he's a really strong skater.

Wishing Nastyia all the best outside of skating.

Sylvia

TBD
Sonia Baram? Cayla Smith?
Neither will be age-eligible for ISU senior until 2026-27. ETA: Both are continuing to hone their skills in singles this season (Cayla in Novice and Sonia in Senior, I believe).

CS #3 Nebelhorn Trophy entries were published by the ISU today and 3 U.S. pairs are listed:
Ellie KAM / Danny O'SHEA
Maria MOKHOVA / Ivan MOKHOV
Valentina PLAZAS / Maximiliano FERNANDEZ
(sub: Liu/Nagy)

Naomi Williams/Lachlan Lewer's 2nd JGP assignment will be the final pairs event in Gdansk (#6).

Last edited:

Karen-W

Sonia Baram? Cayla Smith?
God no. They're both 8 years younger than he and aren't age-eligible for seniors until 2026-27.

ETA - @Sylvia beat me to it, but yeah no...

I was looking through the list of US senior pairs women who competed in the last 2 seasons and are currently partnerless - Megan Wessenberg, Laiken Lockley, Cate Fleming, Kate Finster, and Winter Deardorff. I'd be interested in seeing what Laiken or Winter could do with a really strong partner like Danylo.

Nebelhorn assignments are out - Kam/O'Shea, the Mokhovs and Plazas/Fernandez are assigned (Liu/Nagy and SmirSiia are listed as substitutes - which indicates to me the USFS didn't really have any idea this split was coming).

JGP #6 Gdansk assignments are also out - just Williams/Lewer assigned (Flores/Wang are the only subs).

Last edited:

Karen-W

Lilianna Murray turns 18 in October and is still on IPS, I wonder if she could be an option.
Maybe? I haven't been really impressed with her in the junior ranks the past few seasons.

Karen-W

I would hope she’s on a trajectory of improvement now she’s training in Irvine, seems like she’s getting good reps in with Brandon.
True. I do have to wonder if Danylo will relocate from Minnesota to Irvine or Oakton. I'd actually really love to see what he could do working with a couple of our very strong, recently retired pairs men. Trudy's nice enough, but I think Danylo has the potential to be a true star with the tutelage of guys like either Knierim/LeDuc or Frazier/Bartholomay.

LoisAGOEs

True. I do have to wonder if Danylo will relocate from Minnesota to Irvine or Oakton. I'd actually really love to see what he could do working with a couple of our very strong, recently retired pairs men. Trudy's nice enough, but I think Danylo has the potential to be a true star with the tutelage of guys like either Knierim/LeDuc or Frazier/Bartholomay.
Irvine would probably be ideal considering he’s dating Starr Andrews, would eliminate the long distance they have going on.

Karen-W

Irvine would probably be ideal considering he’s dating Starr Andrews, would eliminate the long distance they have going on.
Oooo - yes, that could also be a consideration! Finster, Fleming, Wessenberg and Murray have all trained with TeamTodd&Jenni...

Joubabe

So bummed to see this news. It seemed like this has been coming for awhile as I'd noticed Danil's IG stories didn't include any on-ice training over the last few months. I'm sure he will be able to find a good partner as he's a really strong skater.

Wishing Nastyia all the best outside of skating.
My heart is broken right now! Anastasiia and Danil were my favorite team this year and I was so looking forward to following their careers.

Wishing them both the best!

dancing_on_ice

On USFS' international assignment page, Flores/Wang and Williams/Lewer-Parr have been swapped between JGP Turkey (next week) and JGP Hungary. I imagine this is a strategic move by USFS to try to ensure that both teams make JGPF. JGP Hungary has by far the deepest pairs field of the 4 competitions.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Karen-W

On USFS' international assignment page, Flores/Wang and Williams/Lewer-Parr have been swapped between JGP Turkey (next week) and JGP Hungary. I imagine this is a strategic move by USFS to try to ensure that both teams make JGPF. JGP Hungary has by far the deepest pairs field of the 4 competitions.
Definitely a good strategic move by the USFS! Williams/Lewer are, by far, the stronger of the two teams right now and I'd rather see them fighting it out with Metelkina/Berulava, Sierova/Khobta and Ariano Kent/Laliberte Laurent for a medal. Next week has Metelkina/Berulava and Desrochers/Thrasher, plus no Chinese teams.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Golden West only had Junior and Novice Pairs - next week we have John Nicks Pairs Challenge/Middle Atlantics as well as JGP #3 Istanbul. Here's where things stand on the US Pairs Final qualifying front:
Update to current US teams - teams are listed by the level they're competing at domestically

Senior teams
Chan/Howe ISP (bye) [CoC and NHK Trophy]
Digerness/Sadusky
Fitzpatrick/Bearinger 152.54 (Battle of the Blades), 129.70 (combined SP+FS at non-NQS Skate Detroit) [Middle Atlantics]
Hanns/Neudecker ISP 126.86 (non-NQS Cup of Colorado) [John Nicks PC]
Kam/O'Shea ISP (bye) [Nebelhorn, GPdF and GP Espoo]
Liu/Nagy ISP 175.91 (Glacier Falls), [John Nicks PC, Autumn Classic Int'l & SkAm]
Martins/Bedard ISP 157.05 (Glacier Falls) [John Nicks PC, Autumn Classic Int'l]
Mokhova/Mokhov ISP [John Nicks PC, Nebelhorn]
Ouellette/Newby-Estrella ISP [John Nicks PC]
Plazas/Fernandez ISP (bye) [John Nicks PC, Nebelhorn, SkAm and GPdF]

Efimova/Mitrofanov* (eligible for the ISP in April 2024) [Middle Atlantics]
Korytek/Chapman* 156.18 (Glacier Falls) (age-ineligible) [Middle Atlantics]
McBeath/Parkman* 170.46 (Glacier Falls) (eligible for the ISP in Dec 2023) [Middle Atlantics]

Junior teams
Carpenter/Maravilla 102.88 (combined SP+FS at non-NQS Skate Detroit) [Middle Atlantics]
Fletcher/Felberbaum ISP 97.83 (Battle of the Blades) [John Nicks PC]
Flores/Wang ISP 147.22 (2nd place at JGP #2 Linz), 123.40 (Glacier Falls) [JGP #3 Istanbul]
Moss/Gal [Middle Atlantics]
Park/Griffin 119.67 (Golden West)
Williams/Lewer ISP 138.19 (Glacier Falls) [JGP #5 Budapest & JGP #6 Gdansk]
Zheng/Deng ISP 126.16 (Battle of the Blades) [JGP #3 Istanbul]

Cooke/Kennedy* (age-ineligible - competed in the Jr Pairs FS at non-NQS Colonial Open in June) [Middle Atlantics]
Delis/Schwab* (age-ineligible) 104.31 (Golden West), 88.94 (Glacier Falls)
Grohne/Lunt* (he still needs to pass his junior Pairs test - 89.42 at non-NQS Cup of Colorado last week in Novice)
Rivers/Rensing* (age-ineligible) 101.39 (Glacier Falls)

Novice teams
Clara Finkelstein/Mark Williams 91.88 (Golden West), 78.43 (Glacier Falls)
Milada Kovar/Nickolai Apter 93.24 (Golden West) (her older brother, Kai, will be representing the USA at JGP #3 Istanbul)
Joyce Lu/Wyatt Lu 88.22 (Golden West)
Taisiya Shapovalova/Sebastian Malczyk 98.00 (Golden West), 93.59 (Glacier Falls) (his older brother, Damian, has been assigned to represent Czechia in men at JGP #5 Budapest & JGP #6 Gdandsk)
Tallulah Tanner/Sam Herbert 88.95 (Battle of the Blades)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information