2023-24 ISU Grand Prix Assignments & projected alternates

airgelaal

Well, yes, but Tukt and BoiKoz seemed to have done it just once, under duress, very early on in the war and haven't since. I'm not sure how it would be viewed by TPTB, but they're the only ones who I think could possibly pass muster.
Tuktamisheva performed in the Navka`s show

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Gracie Gold was a "Come Back Skater" for GP series in 2018-19 season, and she received only one assignment.
(Gracie did not meet the requirements for "Return Skater.")
It was never clear that she wanted more than one unconditionally, which is what they have to sign onto. The wording, clear as mud, says that the skater could be considered for a host spot, which any age- and citizenship-eligible skater can, but it seems to be encouraging the skater's host, if the skater is from a host country, to assign them to a host spot.

I don't remember Gold saying that she wanted two, and if she wanted a later start -- RC was the penultimate event in 2018 -- France, the last event of the season, could have passed. If she was willing to any two starts, the pressure would have been on USFS to give her a host spot.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
It was never clear that she wanted more than one unconditionally, which is what they have to sign onto. The wording, clear as mud, says that the skater could be considered for a host spot, which any age- and citizenship-eligible skater can, but it seems to be encouraging the skater's host, if the skater is from a host country, to assign them to a host spot.
Agreed.

Kagiyama is a "Comeback Skater" based on his 2022 Worlds silver and he was assigned to France and NHK.

Higuchi is either a "Comeback Skater" based on her 2022 Olympics finish (5th) or a "Return Skater" based on her 2022 Worlds finish (11th) and she was assigned to France and NHK.

I don't think either would have necessarily got 2 if the JSF hadn't selected them for NHK.

SkateFanBerlin

Can someone tell me where the JGP entries are listed. On the ISU site even for Bancock there are no entries. Or, does this happen closer to the event?

Jammers

A bit surprised that Lucas Broussard is not staying on the JGP for another season where he'd be almost guaranteed to get 2 assignments and a good chance of making the JGPF again instead of just one Senior GP event. He might be pushing it a bit too much to fast.

Karen-W

A bit surprised that Lucas Broussard is not staying on the JGP for another season where he'd be almost guaranteed to get 2 assignments and a good chance of making the JGPF again instead of just one Senior GP event. He might be pushing it a bit too much to fast.
Or he might see an opportunity window to skate on through and onto the Worlds team. It isn't as though any of our men aside from Ilia and Jason were lighting it up on the senior level this past season. His SB skating at the junior level is within 7 points of Naumov, Kapeikis and Ma.

SkateFanBerlin

He`s already a strong competitor. Less competition gives him time for developing the more difficult jumping elements with less wear & tear on his body. Hate for him to become injured again. He`s a beautiful skater.

RoseRed

@Karen-W Is there a reason Ahsun Yun isn't in that last women's group on your replacement list just before Isaev? Does she not have the GP minimum? Not that it matters really, since there's very little chance of them reaching that far down, but just wondering.

Karen-W

@Karen-W Is there a reason Ahsun Yun isn't in that last women's group on your replacement list just before Isaev? Does she not have the GP minimum? Not that it matters really, since there's very little chance of them reaching that far down, but just wondering.
Other than I was typing fast while on my lunch break and accidentally skipped over her? No, lol.

Sylvia

TBD
* = GP debut season (not counting 2020 domestic GPs during the pandemic)
BTW, I forgot to * Nina Pinzarrone BEL in my post #1 (she was initially assigned to GP Sheffield last year but ended up withdrawing from that and SCI - added as a alternate - due to injury).

MEN (10)
Nikolaj MEMOLA (ITA) 2
Andreas NORDEBACK (SWE) 2
Mikhail SHAIDOROV (KAZ) 2
Lucas BROUSSARD (USA)
Mark GORODNITSKY (ISR)
Takeru Amine KATAISE (JPN)
Maxim NAUMOV (USA)
Makar SUNTSEV (FIN)
Andrew TORGASHEV (USA)
Nozumu YOSHIOKA (JPN)

WOMEN (9)
Mone CHIBA (JPN) 2
Chaeyeon KIM (KOR) 2
Nina PINZARRONE (BEL) 2
Kimmy REPOND (SUI) 2
Hana YOSHIDA (JPN) 2
*Xiangyi AN (CHN)
Sara-Maude DUPUIS (CAN)
Kaiya RUITER (CAN)
Lorine SCHILD (FRA)

ICE DANCE
Hannah LIM / Ye QUAN (KOR) 2
Katerina MRAZKOVA / Daniel MRAZEK (CZE) 2
Emilea ZINGAS / Vadym KOLESNIK (USA) 2
Nadiia BASHYNSKA / Peter BEAUMONT (CAN)
Mariia IGNATEVA / Danijil Leonyidovics SZEMKO (HUN)
Olivia SMART / Tim DIECK (ESP new)

PAIRS (9)
Anastasia GOLUBEVA / Hektor GIOTOPOULOS MOORE (AUS) 2
Ellie KAM / Danny O'SHEA (USA) 2
Maria PAVLOVA / Alexei SVIATCHENKO (HUN) 2
Lia PEREIRA / Trennt MICHAUD (CAN) 2
Lucrezia BECCARI / Matteo GUARISE (ITA)
Minerva HASE / Nikita VOLODIN (GER new)
Cheng PENG / Lei WANG (CHN new)
Milania VAANANEN / Filippo CLERICI (FIN new)
Oxana VOUILLAMOZ / Flavien GINIAUX (FRA)

TBD spots (28):
Skate America: 1 woman, 2 pairs, 1 dance team
Skate Canada: none
France: 2 men, 2 women, 1 pair, 1 dance team
China: 3 men, 3 women, 3 pairs, 2 dance teams
Finland: 1 man, 3 women
Japan: 1 man, 1 woman, 1 pair

Karen-W

Other than I was typing fast while on my lunch break and accidentally skipped over her? No, lol.
Following up on this - Anything GOEs is reporting that Ahsun Yun plans on competing on the JGP this season -

Having said that, I had expected Switzerland's Sarina Joos would spend another season on the JGP, but she's not listed on the Swiss Ice Skating initial JGP assignments, so I'll add her to the Alternates list - she's in the first group of 10 (between An and Schild).

LoisAGOEs

Following up on this - Anything GOEs is reporting that Ahsun Yun plans on competing on the JGP this season -

Having said that, I had expected Switzerland's Sarina Joos would spend another season on the JGP, but she's not listed on the Swiss Ice Skating initial JGP assignments, so I'll add her to the Alternates list - she's in the first group of 10 (between An and Schild).
Sarina and Noemi Joos are not on the Swiss National team document. Both of their Instagram bios now have Italian flags on them. I suspect they have switched country representation although they haven’t officially announced it.

Karen-W

Sarina and Noemi Joos are not on the Swiss National team document. Both of their Instagram bios now have Italian flags on them. I suspect they have switched country representation although they haven’t officially announced it.
Well, I suppose that isn't a bad choice, given how weak most of the Italian women are. There is certainly an opportunity for both of them with Italy!

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I thought Sarina had a lot of potential. Now that Kimmy has done so well at the senior level, I don’t blame the sisters for looking elsewhere, and frankly Italy is still weak in women, it’s where they need help for 2026.

Sylvia

TBD
The 2023/24 GP General Announcement was published today (July 11, 2023): https://www.isu.org/docman-document...es-files-58/31498-general-announcement-2/file

From page 5:
3.1 Confirmation of Participation of Seeded Skaters/Couples
The ISU Members must confirm the participation of the Seeded Skaters/Couples in the two events to the ISU Secretariat by August 15, 2023. If a Seeded Skater/Couple does not participate in the event(s) for which theyare designated, there will be no substitute event(s).
3.2 Confirmation of Participation of Invited Skaters/Couples
The invitations for participation for Skaters/Couples, besides the seeded ones, will be forwarded to the ISU Members concerned through the Organizing ISU Member of the respective ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating event. The ISU Members of these Invited Skaters/Couples must confirm participation to the ISU Secretariat, and the Organizing ISU Member by August 15, 2023.

From page 10:
7.6 Replacements
It is mandatory that an Organizing ISU Member replaces any Pair who withdraws from the event with an
alternate up to fourteen (14) days prior to the Team Leaders Meeting for that event.

For a Women or Men Skater, up to fourteen (14) days prior to the Team Leaders Meeting for that event, it is
voluntary that an Organizing ISU Member replaces any Skater who withdraws from the event who would be
the 11th or 12th entry but must replace with an alternate any Skater who withdraws if fewer than 10 entries
remain.

For an Ice Dance couple, up to fourteen (14) days prior to the draw for that event, it is voluntary that a host
country replaces any Ice Dance couple who withdraws from the event who would be the 9th or 10th entry but
must replace any Dance couple who withdraws with an alternate couple if fewer than 8 entries remain.

At the fourteen-day mark, consideration will be given by the ISU Grand Prix Coordination Group to leaving a
position vacant because of visa requirements or unduly high travel costs that would be incurred by the
Organizing ISU Member.

Skater/Couples, who are part of the official Alternate List must be ready to accept an invitation for participation
in an ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating event, even on short notice, except if the reasons for refusal are obvious
(injury, illness, conflict with other competitions or with national activities, e.g. seminars, tests, etc.). The
benchmark of such short notice is seven days.

The alternate list needs to be worked through in ranking order for the top 75 ranked Skaters/Couples according
to their Season’s Best. All Skaters/Couples of the alternate list will be grouped in top ranked groups of ten
Skaters, out of which the respective Organizing ISU Member may pick one Skater/Couple for invitation.

Skaters/Couples, who place first in any of the ISU Challenger Series events for 2023/24 and can prove to have
skated the minimum Technical score as mentioned in paragraph 2.3, will be added to the alternate list, bottom
ranked according to their scores.

Last edited:

Karen-W

It appears that Italy is holding their Junior National Team Testing this week at IceLab -

It appears that Anna Pezzetta is going to do another season on the JGP, which makes her ineligible as a GP alternate.
From the Italian news thread - Anna was in the 2nd group of 10 on the Women's Alternates list, so her chances of getting a GP were relatively slim and staying on the JGP makes sense in the long run.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Grids are updated with Cup of China and Grand Prix Espoo TBD host spots being filled.

Cup of China: Daiwei Dai, Boyang Jin, He Zhang; Xiangyi An, Hongyi Chen, Yi Zhu; Cheng Peng / Lei Wang, Yuchen Wang / Lei Zhu; Siyang Zhang / Yongchao Yang; Xizi Chen / Jianing Xing, Shiyue Wang / Xinyu Liu

Grand Prix Espoo: Janna Jyrkinen, Oona Ounasvuori, Nella Pelkonen

Karen-W

Updating the GP Alternates lists with today's announcements:

Men 1-10
Tsuboi (SkAm)
Kataise (France)
Gorodnitsky (SCI)
Economides (NHK)
Naumov (SkAm)
Orzel (SCI)
Sadovsky (SCI)
Yampolsky
Kapeikis (SCI)
Ma (CoC)

Men 11-20
Gogolev (SkAm)
Broussard (France)
Shmuratko
Chiu (SCI)
Yoshioka (SkAm)
Starostin
Guarino Sabate
Miyake
Newnham
Samoilov

Men 21-30
Kyeong
A Selevko
Torgashev (SkAm)
Levandi (Espoo)
Zandron
Le May
Lewton Brain
Maierhofer
K Witkowski
Ha. Kim

Men 31-35
Tran
Bralin
Y Cha
Kessler
Honda

Women 1-10
Kihira (SCI)
Kurakova (SkAm)
Ziegler
Ji
Schild (Espoo)
Gutmann (SCI)
Serna (France)
Matsuike
Meite
Harrell

Women 11-20
van Zundert (NHK)
Pezzetta*
Hilmer
Gold
Mikutina
Seo
Ruiter (SCI)
Daleman
Dupuis (SCI)
Miclette

Women 21-26
Paganini
Sauter
Kiibus
Lang
A Yun**
Isaev

Pairs 1-10
Hase/Volodin (Espoo)
Roscher/Schuster (SCI)
Osipova/Epstein (SkAm)
Beccari/Guarise (SCI)
Caldara/Maglio (SkAm)
Mokhova/Mokhov
Zhang/Yang (CoC)
Vouillamoz/Giniaux (France)
Valesi/Piazza (France)
Vaipan-Law/Digby

Pairs 11-13
Gamez/Korovin
Piegad/Strekalin
Simioli/Zarbo

Ice Dance 1-10
Smart/Dieck (SkAm)
McNamara/Spiridonov (France)
Ignateva/Szemko (Espoo)
Brown/Brown (SCI)
Orihara/Pirinen (Espoo)
Dupayage/Nabais (France)
Bashynska/Beaumont (Espoo)
Harris/Chan (SkAm)
Bekker/Hernandez
Fabbri/Ayer (SCI)

Ice Dance 11-20
Lanaghan/Razgulajevs (SCI)
Komatsubara/Koleto (NHK)
Manni/Roethlisberger
Nosovitskaya/Nosovitskiy
Holubtsova/Bielobrov
Lagouge/Caffa
Simova/Aksenov
Gauthier/Thieren
Dozzi/Papetti
Hensen/Lickers

Ice Dance 21-30
Leccardi/Dalla Torre*
Terreaux/Perron
Polibina/Golovishnikov
Bronsard/Richmond
Hancock/Fourati
Carhart/Kolosovskyi
Azroian/Gruzdev
Ramanauskaite/Kizala
Pucherova/Lysak
Nauryzova/Datiev

Couple of points to note -

1) Japan is maxed out in Men's and Women's at every single event save for their TBD spots at NHK, so unless the skater that WDs is Japanese, then on the Men's Alternates list Gogolev & Broussard will be moved up to the first group of 10 for consideration, and on the Women's Alternates list van Zundert & Pezzetta (*see #3 below) or Hilmer will be moved up to the first group of 10 for consideration. Kataise, Tsuboi, Yoshioka, Miyake (men) and Kihira, Matsuike (women) are going to be the ones scrambling for those NHK TBD spots in their disciplines.

2) USA is maxed out in Ice Dance at every event save for NHK (2 entries) and the SkAm TBD spot, so unless the team that WDs is from the US or the event is NHK, then Lanaghan/Razgulajevs & Komatsubara/Koleto will be moved up to the first group of 10 for consideration.

3) * Italy questions - Pezzetta was at the Italian JGP Camp last month, but so far hasn't been assigned to a JGP, so it's unclear whether she's available for GP selection or not; are Leccardi/Dalla Torre still together?

4) ** Yun competed in the Korean JGP selection but didn't place high enough, so it's also not certain if she is available for GP selection.

Last edited:

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
Or he might see an opportunity window to skate on through and onto the Worlds team. It isn't as though any of our men aside from Ilia and Jason were lighting it up on the senior level this past season. His SB skating at the junior level is within 7 points of Naumov, Kapeikis and Ma.
I know Broussard has a lot of shooters on here, but I really think he's a less polished version of Kapeikis at this point... but in any case you're right, the US men's field is wide open and I think the buzz he got last season must have whetted his appetite for success, making juniors feel like a small pond by comparison. Even Miura was blatantly butthurt to be left off Japan's senior worlds team and sent to junior worlds instead, despite winning it. (Though I think in Miura's case he'll come to appreciate his junior world title more as the years go by.) Young skaters want to challenge themselves in seniors ASAP.

Karen-W

And Schott's out of both of her GPs! https://isu.org/docman-documents-li...ies-8/31416-women-3/file?force_isolation=true

ETA - both JPN and USA have 3 women at SCI and JPN has 3 at NHK where Schott was assigned.

Meanwhile, Jimmy Ma got the FIN TBD spot at Espoo - https://isu.org/docman-documents-li...tries-8/31415-men-4/file?force_isolation=true

Men 1-10
Tsuboi (SkAm)
Kataise (France)
Gorodnitsky (SCI)
Economides (NHK)
Naumov (SkAm)
Orzel (SCI)
Sadovsky (SCI)
Yampolsky
Kapeikis (SCI)
Gogolev (SkAm)

Men 11-20