Where is Julian Sands?

Finnice

I kind of fell in love with his character in The room with a view. I stayed once at the hotel in Florence, where a part of it was filmed.
Hoping for the best, but he has been missing for a while now.

vgerdes

I kind of fell in love with his character in The room with a view. I stayed once at the hotel in Florence, where a part of it was filmed.
Hoping for the best, but he has been missing for a while now.

It is unlikely that he will be found alive at this point. Miracles have been known to happen, but I'm not optimistic. :(

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

Sylvia

TBD
A Room with a View is one of my all-time favorite films - hoping for a miracle...
I'm watching this now (no miracle :( - Sands' body hasn't been found yet, AFAIK).

Feb. 24th article:
John Malkovich is reflecting on his close bond with missing actor Julian Sands, who has not been found since he went for a hike on Jan. 13 and did not return.
Over the last six weeks, local authorities and search and rescue teams have conducted multiple ground and aerial searches near the Mt. Baldy area of California's San Bernardino Mountains for the Room With a View actor, but have been unable to locate him.
In an interview with the Guardian, Malkovich described Sands as not only his "closest friend," but also an "inveterate mountain climber" and hiker who liked to embark on his own solo adventures. "He was always tramping off to Kilimanjaro, or Antartica, or the Andes, or the Alps," he said, calling Sands "a very experienced climber who'd been through very hairy experiences."
"I suppose the particular conditions on the ground that day on Mt. Baldy must have led to some sort of catastrophic and immediate error that was irreversible," Malkovich continued. "That was my instinct upon hearing it. But he knew what the conditions were, and that's what he loved to do. He found great solace in the solitude of that."
"I love Jules. He was someone who was very, very clever. I know his ex-wife, Sarah [Sands], terribly well and their son, Henry, is my godson. And I introduced Jules to [his wife] Evgenia, who's an old, old friend. I know their daughters well. But I unfortunately never got to go up to Yorkshire with him. It's a great loss."
He added, "He was such a terrific storyteller, Jules, and so, so funny. Since the day we met, I could talk to him about anything, and he could talk to me about anything."
On Tuesday, the San Bernardino county sheriff's department said in a statement that they still hope to bring "closure" to Sands' friends and family. Last Sunday, members of the Fontana Sheriff's Station and West Valley Search and Rescue conducted a ground search in the Mt. Baldy area where California Highway Patrol had previously detected a possible electronic device, but did not find the English actor.

OPINION
GUEST ESSAY by Rose George
The Price of Risk and the Reward of Joy Out in the Wild (Feb. 25): https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/25/...sk-and-the-reward-of-joy-out-in-the-wild.html

Excerpts:
On Friday, Jan. 13, the actor Julian Sands set off for a hike up Mount Baldy in California’s San Gabriel Mountains. He had done this kind of thing before: Mountain hiking was his passion. The 10,000-foot Mount Baldy is a difficult climb, but he had seen worse. In the Andes, he and three friends had reportedly been caught at 20,000 feet in a storm so violent, nearby climbers died. “We were lucky,” he later said.
Mr. Sands didn’t make it down from Mount Baldy that day. The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department began a ground search, but it has so far come up empty. Looking for missing hikers and climbers is very difficult under the best of conditions, and especially so in winter. Ferocious storms across the western United States have since made the prospects even bleaker.
A friend of Mr. Sands’s recently described him as “an extremely advanced hiker” as well as “very, very fit.” Regardless, plenty of people will think this kind of expedition reckless. They will criticize those who set off in poor weather, in winter, knowing they could come to harm, for underestimating the risk. For going alone. For going anyway.
I am used to people telling me my chosen hobby is risky, even “insane.” I’m not a mountain hiker, like Mr. Sands, but I, too, have devoted myself to a sport I enjoy despite — and to some degree because of — the danger.
My love is fell running. “Fell” is an English term, from the Old Norse “fjall,” a mountain. In the north of England, and especially in Lakeland, the high, sometimes featureless hills are called fells, and the runners who like to run up and down and along them — and the hills of the Peak District and Yorkshire and elsewhere — are fell runners.
So still I set off into the hills or to the moors, even in poor weather. I do it because there is nothing like it. Mr. Sands once said, “a lot of time people who don’t climb mountains assume it is about this great heroic sprint for the summit. And somehow this great ego-driven ambition. But actually it’s the reverse. It’s about supplication and sacrifice and humility, when you go to these mountains.”
I will not stop running in wild places because, probably like Mr. Sands, and probably like other missing hikers and runners, I have calculated the price of risk — the kind I cannot ward off no matter how prepared I am — against the reward of joy, and I think it worth paying.

Rose George is a British author whose books include “Nine Pints: A Journey Through the Money, Medicine, and Mysteries of Blood.”

Cachoo

He was an experienced hiker but the weather was bad. Or maybe it was nothing to do with the weather. Todd Sand was a complete surprise. Maybe Julian Sands experienced something similar.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
He was an experienced hiker but the weather was bad. Or maybe it was nothing to do with the weather. Todd Sands was a complete surprise. Maybe Julian Sands experienced something similar.
Todd Sand. :D

Husky

Just heard about this case. I don't know much about hiking but shouldn't a GPS device insure that people can be localised in case something happens?

Cachoo

Just heard about this case. I don't know much about hiking but shouldn't a GPS device insure that people can be localised in case something happens?
I would think so. I know he was hiking in bad weather but we also know he was a very experienced hiker. He is leaving for a few hours and is never heard from again. GPS makes perfect sense.

Husky

Interesting technology. Never heard of a Recco detector before. You must be already in vicinity (80meters at least) though. But it sounds perfect for snow avalanche.

Winnipeg

Seems to me if you are an experienced hiker, you would check the weather and conditions before going out and would opt to go another day than one where floods and slides were a risk. Just IMO.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Seems to me if you are an experienced hiker, you would check the weather and conditions before going out and would opt to go another day than one where floods and slides were a risk. Just IMO.
I'm guessing you don't know a lot of people who do these extreme sports. :lol:

This is the key to me:

“But that is something that Julian would have seen as a challenge, to go up in those conditions. He likes to push himself and he’s done that.

“And like anything, that makes you better, to push yourself in life. But in this situation, it’s a very tricky, dangerous hike with these weather conditions.

I have seen so many friends do stupid shit because they see it as a challenge and see themselves as a badass and that quitting is for losers. (And, tbh, I've done some stupid shit myself from not accepting my own limits though I do try to be smarter these days.)

I don't know if Julian Sand is one of these people. But, I've seen enough of them to not be surprised that an experienced mountaineer would go out in bad weather when they really should know better.

Sylvia

TBD
Here's one article:

ETA another article: https://www.npr.org/2023/06/25/1184208307/julian-sands-search-human-remains-found

Link to the San Bernardino County Sheriff-Coroner Department's statement yesterday: https://local.nixle.com/alert/10161741/

Last edited:

Judy

I hadn’t heard about this - very sad.

of course there are people that thrive on this and love itt. People who climb mountains, parachuting … marathons .. Iron Man .. downhill skiing .. etc etc.

It’s not my thing - I’m not a hug risk taker.. it is important to them though.

Husky

This is weird: Did you read the other article from the link? 2 weeks after Mr. Sands disappearance another hiker went missing on Mount Baldy:

"Chung was last seen at approximately 6 a.m. after carpooling to Mount Baldy with two other individuals, according to the sheriff-coroner's department. The trio allegedly agreed to meet back at the vehicle around 2 p.m., but Chung never returned."

Is it bear area?

Sylvia

TBD
This is weird: Did you read the other article from the link? 2 weeks after Mr. Sands disappearance another hiker went missing on Mount Baldy:

"Chung was last seen at approximately 6 a.m. after carpooling to Mount Baldy with two other individuals, according to the sheriff-coroner's department. The trio allegedly agreed to meet back at the vehicle around 2 p.m., but Chung never returned."
He was found a few days later (Jan. 23):
On Tuesday afternoon, search and rescue members found Chung, who had some weather-related injuries and an injury to his leg, the department said.
Chung was able to walk out with help from the crew members and was taken to a hospital for treatment, the department said.

Sylvia

TBD
San Bernardino County Sheriff-Coroner Department's statement today: https://nixle.us/EJLE5?_ga=2.146958199.1385989385.1687898756-1698559489.1687712424

UPDATE- June 27, 2023: The identification process for the body located on Mt. Baldy on June 24, 2023, has been completed and was positively identified as 65-year-old Julian Sands of North Hollywood. The manner of death is still under investigation, pending further test results.

We would like to extend our gratitude to all the volunteers that worked tirelessly to locate Mr. Sands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information